Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/29/2021 3:18:01 AM EDT

I do security at a distribution center in the middle of the Mohave desert 80 miles Northeast of Los Angeles.

Huge warehouse over a quarter mile long. Dock space for 170 trailers and marked yard space for 384 more.

Everything here comes from China except pallets. I check this shit in.

Yesterday, 9/27/2021, started the second week of below normal inbound shipping.

Six container trucks yesterday and 3 tonight so far. Nothing more than 10 a day for the second week in a row. Some days only 2 or 3.

If you have babies, kids and a kitchen you use what goes outta here.

This is just one business and outbound goes east. I see the Bills of Lading.

Prepare yourself people because I don't think this is going away any time soon.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the intel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:25:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What sort of commodities do your containers carry?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Good. Easing off China will only happen cold turkey anyway.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
And this is a result of COVID effecting cargo workers and truck drivers?

Is that the only explanation?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

“If you have babies, kids and a kitchen you use what goes outta here.”
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rubbermaid and Graco is what I'm guessing. I believe they have a distribution center in Victorville, CA.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:58:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Squares with the whole - we've got 60+ container ships off the California coast then. The whole "Great Reset" thing really does seem to be taking shape although I have heard it said, never chalk up to evil what can be explained by incompetence so there's that.

Good to know, op. Another data point
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks God it's not shitter paper.  Carry on...
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info. Have you heard why the slowdown?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#10]
So what should we be stocking up on OP, say if you had a newborn?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting info. Thanks, OP.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I've lost count at how many Containerpocolypse events I've seen in my 50 years of life.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that the Longshoreman Union is playing fuck fuck games.  These things come and go like the tides.  But I agree that we're all getting fucked in this mess and we need to bring a lot of manufacturing back to the states.  Kinda tough to do though when the .gov pays people to sit on their ass at home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]
What if I really want to shoot the messenger?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Somewhat related.  I have a PT retirement gig at plant that receives, repackages and distributes one of the name brand gaming console systems.  When I started in June we were told to expect 5 lines working two shifts with mandatory OT starting in August and continuing through year end.
They currently can't get enough product in from China to keep 2 lines running for 1 shift on a regular basis.
Nevermind they can't get the 150 they hired to show up with any regularity let alone the 300 they had planned.  Can't get anymore employees.  When they tell the line it's mandatory 10 hour days they just go to break and don't come back when they decide they are done for the day.  Sometimes return the next day to zero consequences.
Forklift driver hits a pole and is told he must go for mandatory drug test.  Refuses to do so but shows up for work the next day.  Management response is ok, here's your truck get back at it.
I smell pot in the parking lot when I arrive at 6:30 am.
It's pretty much a shit show.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Good, fuck china and their virus.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Squares with the whole - we've got 60+ container ships off the California coast then. The whole "Great Reset" thing really does seem to be taking shape although I have heard it said, never chalk up to evil what can be explained by incompetence so there's that.

Good to know, op. Another data point
View Quote

Could this be the real reason China is shutting down production factories recently? A lot of ships are backed up from unloading on our docks so China has to slow down output
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the intel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What if I really want to shoot the messenger?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are GTG on diapers, the vast majority are made here in the USA.

Huggies
Pampers
Luvs
Target Up & Up
Walmart Parent’s Choice
CVS
Walgreens Well Beginnings
Amazon Mama Bear
Costco Kirkland Signature
Seventh Generation
Earth & Eden
Sam's Club Member's Mark
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Our port delays are causing a container shortage in China. Manufacturers are having a hard time securing empty containers then I believe there is a bit of a struggle getting them to the port and on the ships as well.  This is not even to mention that the cost to get a container to our dock is approaching triple the cost of what it was pre covid. Then there is the covid issues shutting some plants down over there and now the electrical grid shortage. Things most definitely are not going to get better any time soon
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good. Easing off China will only happen cold turkey anyway.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#23]
The container shortage is one key reason I heard.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Somewhat related.  I have a PT retirement gig at plant that receives, repackages and distributes one of the name brand gaming console systems.  When I started in June we were told to expect 5 lines working two shifts with mandatory OT starting in August and continuing through year end.
They currently can't get enough product in from China to keep 2 lines running for 1 shift on a regular basis.
Nevermind they can't get the 150 they hired to show up with any regularity let alone the 300 they had planned.  Can't get anymore employees.  When they tell the line it's mandatory 10 hour days they just go to break and don't come back when they decide they are done for the day.  Sometimes return the next day to zero consequences.
Forklift driver hits a pole and is told he must go for mandatory drug test.  Refuses to do so but shows up for work the next day.  Management response is ok, here's your truck get back at it.
View Quote

Sounds like a bunch of worthless millennials. After retiring I took a part time job at a sporting goods store and saw this first-hand with them. - lazy, irresponsible, always late and wreaked of pot. This is why they’re universally known as ‘The worst generation’.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

You forgot to say unvaxinated workers.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm telling people to stock up on what they use frequently. What is in stock today could easily go out of stock tomorrow and not come back for months.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Appreciate the heads up.

I work as a distributor for a number of international manufacturers. Over the past 9 months, lead times have gone from a couple of weeks to a couple of months to several months and now when I place an order I just get told there is no timeline. They don't even know when some products can be built. Pricing over the same time frame has gone up on average about every two weeks, and we are now over 200% of where we started.

Last week were notified by a few of our suppliers that they are no longer quoting, and that if we order something, they will tell us the price when the materials are available. It goes like this....I place an order and have no clue what the price of the materials / equipment will be.  Meanwhile, my customers expect me to sign contracts which lock in my pricing. As of this week I two options....either I simply stop signing contracts....or I set a high enough markup so that I hopefully cover my exposure.

I cannot overemphasize how fucked up things have gotten.

As an example, a year ago I could sell a product that cost me $3000 and charge my customer around a 7% markup. Today, that same product cost me around $6000 and I am now marking it up around 60% to cover the risks of escalation....and this is still competitive. Even at these insane prices we can't keep up....I am turning away business every day. Our customers are desperate. (And our customers are national/international level contractors and real estate investors with trillion dollar portfolios. They literally are scrambling to find suppliers and paying any price to get what they need.  It's insane.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#28]
The same thing is happening on the industrial side.

I work in process pumps and leadtimes for cast iron casings, impellers, etc

Leadtimes went form weeks to months to now, youll get it when you get it.

Its also slowing down on the repair side as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#29]
That's when things get sporty, when you can't get what you need at any price.

Welcome to the new East Germany. Where every day is a roughing-it day.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's no single thing. It's all of it combined.

Supposedly there's manufacturing issues in Asia for many products, then when it eventually gets to the US ports, they're told to sit in the ocean for ~3 weeks until they can be processed (because of port issues/not enough workers/pint up demand/etc), then once things get to the port, there's issues getting things out of the port because there's not enough truckers or port workers to efficiently coordinate/manage getting things out of there, add in the fact that many ports aren't currently running 24/7 like they were pre-covid because of labor shortages, and now add in that the trucking fleets themselves are short staffed and aren't able to send trucks at the rate they were able to before, and now you get into distribution and repeat everything i said above but apply it to warehouses, etc., and you can keep going from there all the way to your local grocery store not having enough stockers, realizing there's about 30 links in the chain before it gets to you and all are below the productivity they're supposed to be at.

While it may be a bigger issue for imports, domestic made goods are also impacted by this mess.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I think we are going to start to lose variety and options but we still make the basics here to keep it going...
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Where are all the links and videos of the longshoremen on strike, protesting, union speeches?

If it truly is the "Great Reset" the docks, the trucking, the shortages of containers ...are effects not causes.  The causes would be the puppeteer pulling certain strings.  

There are many videos and news stories about the PTB saying this would be a great time to do the "great reset".  The CV19 has brought about, started, brought in, rushed in, etc...the great reset.  

The statements are buried in speeches and videos.   You kind of need to be watching a lot of them to catch it.  Some will turn up in a go Goo gle search, most will not.  

This is the Great Reset.  They will be two classes in the USA after this is done.  The super rich and the poor.  The middle class with be gone.  Think India type of society.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s the “official” explanation.

I say China is paying us back for Trump upsetting upsetting the status quo. “We’ll show them how badly they need us!”

That or the Globalists/Elites starting to starve us into submission.

TC
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I get briefed on this weekly.

Expect it to go into 2022.  If China move on Taiwan push that out to 2024/2025
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I say China is paying us back for Trump upsetting upsetting the status quo. “We’ll show them how badly they need us!”

TC
View Quote

Possibly, but I contend that China needs the US market to keep their economy pumping. They are already panicking because manufacturers are moving production to less developed countries to take advantage of the cheaper labor pool.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything you can afford. And not just for a newborn.
It’s either going to be scarce or keep going up in price.
And congrats on the new addition to the family.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Could this be the real reason China is shutting down production factories recently? A lot of ships are backed up from unloading on our docks so China has to slow down output
View Quote

I doubt that.
I’d guess they’re trying to hurt our economy with product shortages or unavailability.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Appreciate the heads up.

I work as a distributor for a number of international manufacturers. Over the past 9 months, lead times have gone from a couple of weeks to a couple of months to several months and now when I place an order I just get told there is no timeline. They don't even know when some products can be built. Pricing over the same time frame has gone up on average about every two weeks, and we are now over 200% of where we started.

Last week were notified by a few of our suppliers that they are no longer quoting, and that if we order something, they will tell us the price when the materials are available. It goes like this....I place an order and have no clue what the price of the materials / equipment will be.  Meanwhile, my customers expect me to sign contracts which lock in my pricing. As of this week I two options....either I simply stop signing contracts....or I set a high enough markup so that I hopefully cover my exposure.

I cannot overemphasize how fucked up things have gotten.

As an example, a year ago I could sell a product that cost me $3000 and charge my customer around a 7% markup. Today, that same product cost me around $6000 and I am now marking it up around 60% to cover the risks of escalation....and this is still competitive. Even at these insane prices we can't keep up....I am turning away business every day. Our customers are desperate. (And our customers are national/international level contractors and real estate investors with trillion dollar portfolios. They literally are scrambling to find suppliers and paying any price to get what they need.  It's insane.
View Quote

I'm a P&D/LTL truck driver, we've been turning down work and capping how many daily pickups we will do for our customers. We just don't have the manpower to come close to moving the amount of freight that needs shipped. This is happening across the entire industry, even the big players like UPS have put caps on customers. Like you said, every level of the supply chain is fucked up right now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm a P&D/LTL truck driver, we've been turning down work and capping how many daily pickups we will do for our customers. We just don't have the manpower to come close to moving the amount of freight that needs shipped. This is happening across the entire industry, even the big players like UPS have put caps on customers. Like you said, every level of the supply chain is fucked up right now.
View Quote
OTR here.  Shit is insane.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

TC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

Agree
Or Xi is pissed about the submarine deal Biden just made with Australia.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Aren't the container ships stack up out in the bay ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well, I think we are going to start to lose variety and options but we still make the basics here to keep it going...
View Quote

On a forum where half of the members have fantasies about walking the wasteland like Eli, the breaking point as it turns out, is actually variety and options.

From fake plastic dog shit to a favorite flavor of coffee creamer, the minute it isn’t instantly available, it’s time to head for the hills.

The world is crumbling because the wife can’t have her favorite pumpkin spiced shampoo this year.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Good.  Hopefully China sucking will push manufacturing back here to fill the gaps.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

"If you have babies, kids and a kitchen you use what goes outta here."
View Quote
We have chickens, ponds etc and stockpiled on meds quite a while ago.

And a stack of laptops and extra TVs

I would be happy to see zero things coming from China, let the dragon die.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. It’s that demand has exceeded capacity.
Our ports have a finite throughput, and we’re trying to put more through than they can accommodate.

Plus, we are something like 60,000 trucking jobs down.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting, and how times have changed! Could you imagine this kind of behavior 40+ years ago?!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks for the intel.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thanks God it's not shitter paper.  Carry on...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quite possible. Worldwide logistics is a disaster. Not enough empty shipping containers in the right places and not enough capacity to get the full ones moved where they need to go to be unloaded and get things moving normally. A lot of the things we are short of are stuck in port in containers unable to move.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top