Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Y'all do understand, don't you, that if manufacturing actually did return to the US, a regular car would cost $120,000 and a flat screen TV would cost $3,000.

That old minimum wage, union contract, OSHA, EPA thing . . .
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No. It’s that demand has exceeded capacity.
Our ports have a finite throughput, and we’re trying to put more through than they can accommodate.

Plus, we are something like 60,000 trucking jobs down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And this is a result of COVID effecting cargo workers and truck drivers?

Is that the only explanation?

No. It’s that demand has exceeded capacity.
Our ports have a finite throughput, and we’re trying to put more through than they can accommodate.

Plus, we are something like 60,000 trucking jobs down.

It turns out that paying rookie truck drivers $45,000 a year when they can get $1,000 a week unemployment means there are few new drivers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Good!  About time we broke away from China
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Could some companies just be 'by passing' the west coast ?

I'm a modern toy collector and everything Hasbro makes comes straight outta cHyNa, and with their last two big crowd funded (think Kick-starter)projects, the one shipped out of GA, and the next one is shipping out of NY, both the long way around from cHyNa.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That’s the “official” explanation.

I say China is paying us back for Trump upsetting upsetting the status quo. “We’ll show them how badly they need us!”

That or the Globalists/Elites starting to starve us into submission.

TC
View Quote

That doesn't explain practically every business in America not being able to hire anybody. Of course, if you are counting Biden as being part of China then I guess your theory could still apply.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have chickens, ponds etc and stockpiled on meds quite a while ago.

And a stack of laptops and extra TVs

I would be happy to see zero things coming from China, let the dragon die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"If you have babies, kids and a kitchen you use what goes outta here."
We have chickens, ponds etc and stockpiled on meds quite a while ago.

And a stack of laptops and extra TVs

I would be happy to see zero things coming from China, let the dragon die.

It sounds like you're in good shape.  Not surprising at all.  

Knowing my mother relies on meds to keep her from rejecting her kidney transplant is concerning, though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

On a forum where half of the members have fantasies about walking the wasteland like Eli, the breaking point as it turns out, is actually variety and options.

From fake plastic dog shit to a favorite flavor of coffee creamer, the minute it isn’t instantly available, it’s time to head for the hills.

The world is crumbling because the wife can’t have her favorite pumpkin spiced shampoo this year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I think we are going to start to lose variety and options but we still make the basics here to keep it going...

On a forum where half of the members have fantasies about walking the wasteland like Eli, the breaking point as it turns out, is actually variety and options.

From fake plastic dog shit to a favorite flavor of coffee creamer, the minute it isn’t instantly available, it’s time to head for the hills.

The world is crumbling because the wife can’t have her favorite pumpkin spiced shampoo this year.

No, it’s about parts for electronics, electrical supplies, plumbing supplies. The things that keep machines working in automation and infrastructure here. The parts that keep appliances running, the lights, water and heating and cooling on in our homes and businesses. The parts for machines in food manufacturing facilities to keep production going. The parts for the trucks that haul all those products to market.

This isnt about spiced latte or the newest xbox. Although that type of stuff will be affected too.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Biden and China are in this together along under the direction of the Globalist Oligarchs

America is the major impediment to their NWO

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The Pooping Pedo Biden starvation plan is working according to plan.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The fundamental problem here is the parasite class has finally gotten too large. This is what happens when there are too many takers and not enough makers.

All of the other explanations are just symptoms of this base problem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good.  Hopefully China sucking will push manufacturing back here to fill the gaps.
View Quote

Totally this.

Bring it home. Make it at home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#12]
its going to get worse folks...  

the days of getting shit right now are over.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Biden and China are in this together along under the direction of the Globalist Oligarchs

America is the major impediment to their NWO

View Quote

and we are approaching the event horizon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It turns out that paying rookie truck drivers $45,000 a year when they can get $1,000 a week unemployment means there are few new drivers.
View Quote

So are you blaming the starting pay or the unemployment?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I get briefed on this weekly.

Expect it to go into 2022.  If China move on Taiwan push that out to 2024/2025
View Quote

We'll be chasing ripples from this for decades, assuming we make it through with enough infrastructure integrity that recovery is even possible.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve never had to wait for tires. Took two weeks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Everything you can afford. And not just for a newborn.
It’s either going to be scarce or keep going up in price.
And congrats on the new addition to the family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what should we be stocking up on OP, say if you had a newborn?

Everything you can afford. And not just for a newborn.
It’s either going to be scarce or keep going up in price.
And congrats on the new addition to the family.

Man, my wife is due in January and the baby shower is in November. She's gonna be pissed if we can't get the Graco stroller she picked out. Hours wasted at buybuybaby... ?????
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Covid was a big ole' excuse for a whole bunch of people not to work.  Seems like we are all paying the price right now.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So what should we be stocking up on OP, say if you had a newborn?
View Quote

Bottles. Formula. Wipes. Diapers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#20]
This is in part why Costco just announced they are going to start renting their own container ships and several thousand containers this year, which Home Depot is already doing
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks God it's not shitter paper.  Carry on...
View Quote

Toilet paper is made in the states. We have better supplies of paper fiber and it is not economical to ship lightweight paper rolls. The parts for the equipment to make toilet paper is another story.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Buy your Christmas stuff today…
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Three major distribution centers in my town, Walmart, Dollar General & Sysco. Truck traffic is way down. Usually a steady flow of container trucks coming & going, now maybe I see one or two in the morning. Also a much larger number of trucks & trailers sitting idle near an apartment complex I pass every day. Normally I might see one and it would be gone by the afternoon or the following day.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Y'all do understand, don't you, that if manufacturing actually did return to the US, a regular car would cost $120,000 and a flat screen TV would cost $3,000.

View Quote

That imported car still costs Americans $120,000.
- $40,000 - Car
- $80,000 - Welfare benefits to support Americans that used to work making that car
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Seems like a prime opportunity for the governmant to interveve and allocate resources based on equity.   Start with illegal immigrants then minorities and of course fuck whitey and last Trump supporters and anti vaxers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

From fake plastic dog shit to a favorite flavor of coffee creamer, the minute it isn't instantly available, it's time to head for the hills.

The world is crumbling because the wife can't have her favorite pumpkin spiced shampoo this year.

View Quote
My local Arby's has been out of mozzarella sticks for weeks now. Shit is getting insane around here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Must be that “cold dark winter” the build back better, great reset team has planned…

Worst wheat harvest in 55 years.

A bunch of folks are in for a rude awakening.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I could easily see a complete gridlock (or near complete gridlock) of the entire manufacturing and distribution supply chain.

It's not going to be pretty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Could some companies just be 'by passing' the west coast ?

I'm a modern toy collector and everything Hasbro makes comes straight outta cHyNa, and with their last two big crowd funded (think Kick-starter)projects, the one shipped out of GA, and the next one is shipping out of NY, both the long way around from cHyNa.
View Quote

We’ve moved all inbound to the east coast.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't have a job for a company that actually makes anything do you?

I needed glass bottles. Without them I can't bottle my products. If I can't bottle my products then I cant sell them and consequently I really don't need my employees. That's the way these thigs work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Dbl
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Saw this on another site. Looks like interesting info that just verifies what people here are seeing, but I still want to know what is going on in China and I think that is a mystery.

My own business is seeing lots of supply chain issues - chips that used to cost 50c are now $100 if you can get them.

https://am.jpmorgan.com/us/en/asset-management/institutional/insights/market-insights/eye-on-the-market/dude-where-is-my-stuff/

Attachment Attached File

Screenshot not showing for some reason. Charts after this paragraph:

OVID has disrupted supply chains in two major ways: surging demand for imported consumer goods in the West due to pandemic work from home trends and other home improvement spending, and a decline in workers required to maintain and operate these supply chains. The surge in US import demand has led to a sharp rise in eastbound freight rates (see charts for Shanghai->LA and Shanghai->Rotterdam). However, westbound freight rates have not risen nearly as much, leading to an odd and problematic phenomenon: incentives for container owners to move them back to China empty to accelerate receipt of eastbound freight rates, instead of waiting for containers to be refilled to earn westbound freight rates as well. This is illustrated in the fourth chart which shows departing containers from LA/LB: a lot of them started leaving empty once eastbound freight rates surged. This further exacerbates supply chain issues, since US goods (i.e., grains) that were supposed to depart US railcars and warehouses for export remain in place, occupying space that US imported goods were destined for.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m a supply chain analyst for a fortune 100 retailer.

I’m gonna let y’all know now, Christmas toys will be very light this year
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Somewhat related.  I have a PT retirement gig at plant that receives, repackages and distributes one of the name brand gaming console systems.  When I started in June we were told to expect 5 lines working two shifts with mandatory OT starting in August and continuing through year end.
They currently can't get enough product in from China to keep 2 lines running for 1 shift on a regular basis.
Nevermind they can't get the 150 they hired to show up with any regularity let alone the 300 they had planned.  Can't get anymore employees.  When they tell the line it's mandatory 10 hour days they just go to break and don't come back when they decide they are done for the day.  Sometimes return the next day to zero consequences.
Forklift driver hits a pole and is told he must go for mandatory drug test.  Refuses to do so but shows up for work the next day.  Management response is ok, here's your truck get back at it.
I smell pot in the parking lot when I arrive at 6:30 am.
It's pretty much a shit show.
View Quote

Some version of this scenario is playing out all over the country. My little company with 75 employees is very similar.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely correct.

Unions are a parasite that kills its host.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Seems like a prime opportunity for the governmant to interveve and allocate resources based on equity.   Start with illegal immigrants then minorities and of course fuck whitey and last Trump supporters and anti vaxers.
View Quote

This actually sounds like where this business is going.
There's internet rumors " hahaha yea I know" that potato is going to impose more restrictive mandates next month on people not getting the vaccine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#38]
You all keep saying China and yes, I agree, screw China, but this problem is hitting them as well.

This is a global supply issue, not just something between the US and China.  This is affecting the UK/Europe/Asia.

Read some of the maritime news sites, this is a huge concern for all countries.  Below is just one news story.

Global liner congestion worsens, 116 ports report disruption
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stop.

F150 built in Mexico sell for the same $ as the ones built in the US.

Price is set by the market, not the input cost.  

Cars would sell for what people will pay, just like they do now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#40]
So how long before "dollar stores" disappear? I've always marveled at how they manage to keep a store full of Chinese items, considering logistics and staffing, then sell them for $1 and still make a profit.

They've got to be on the bottom of important shit to ship.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#41]
so is this a ripple effect from the shutdown last year?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Our port delays are causing a container shortage in China. Manufacturers are having a hard time securing empty containers then I believe there is a bit of a struggle getting them to the port and on the ships as well.  This is not even to mention that the cost to get a container to our dock is approaching triple the cost of what it was pre covid. Then there is the covid issues shutting some plants down over there and now the electrical grid shortage. Things most definitely are not going to get better any time soon
View Quote

Yesterday I saw a container ship running down river, leaving the port with no containers on board.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bullshit.  Tesla Model 3 built in fucking California, cost $40K.  

I'm trying to figure out what could possibly come from China in a container that I couldn't live without, the answer is NOTHING.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Stop.

F150 built in Mexico sell for the same $ as the ones built in the US.

Price is set by the market, not the input cost.  

Cars would sell for what people will pay, just like they do now.
View Quote

Do you honestly think that companies don't offset profit margins from one product with another?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out what could possibly come from China in a container that I couldn't live without, the answer is NOTHING.
View Quote

Do you know why they are that cheap?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Parts for machines that keep our country running to the standard we are used to.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Possibly, but I contend that China needs the US market to keep their economy pumping. They are already panicking because manufacturers are moving production to less developed countries to take advantage of the cheaper labor pool.
View Quote

Ya.   I'm seeing more "Made in Vietnam" and a bit of India.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Parts for machines that keep our country running to the standard we are used to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are thousands of machine shops in the US that could produce any part for those machines it just wouldn't be dirt cheap made by slave labor.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

55% US made parts and 100% assembled in the US.  Tesla, and other manufacturers, could just as easily produce the other 45% of parts here and even if the cost doubles it isnt' $120k.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#50]
If this makes asshoe sore  I am OK with it.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top