Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2021 11:31:08 AM EDT
A sarcastic question really.  I know things have changed since I retired 15 years ago but the general rule was 2 times.   After the second time you were passed over you either resigned or retired cause you were done.  I guess there is always that one special case, 3rd times a charm for this colonel.  

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/05/marine-colonel-gets-1-star-nomination-after-being-passed-over-promotion-3-times.html?ESRC=eb_210308.nl

Marine Colonel Gets 1-Star Nomination After Being Passed Over for Promotion 3 Times

"Nominated for appointment to the rank of brigadier general, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin."
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol

ETA: Hitler joined the mARINEs?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
well you know why he got promoted now don't you ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Captain to Major in the Army is 3 times non select and you’re separated.  Not sure what it is for generals, but there’s definitely more to this story than they’re saying.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#4]
As the article states

“A Black Marine officer”

Instead of “Marine Officer”

He very well may be qualified, plenty of politics in the military as anywhere, but they make it about something other than his ability, which isn’t his fault, unless he’s a shitbag...
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
That’s insane. The competition for flag is beyond harsh. I’ve never heard of someone making flag without having an impeccable record and certainly never passed up for promotion. I wonder how many more qualified dudes were passed over for this?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
But Maverick is still a captain
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Can only speak to the AF side, but generally after you’re passed over the second time that was game over. You can be ”continued” to get to retirement, but you’d be very unlikely to progress after that. To make 1-star after getting passed over? That’s unheard of from my limited experience.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the worst folk song ever....
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to be twice and then you were shuffled off into the retirement (or reserves if you wanted to stay in).  I've met guys who couldn't reach lt. col.  All it takes is one bad evaluation and it's over.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The thing is, this guy knows damn well he got an undeserved promotion over other people with better records and he still took the promotion. That tells me all I need to know about this “leader”.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The AF has recently gone to a 5-year promotion opportunity window.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Colonels can stay to 30 years for full retirement regardless of the number of times a non-select to BG.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#13]
In my case its been 5 times passed over.  Been non-selected more times than I've been promoted.

In the AF they have something called "selective continuation".  Basically I wasn't selected for promotion but selected to stay in to retire.  There also was an option to stay in to 24 years, which I declined.  Any second active duty past 20 you're working for half pay.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The thing is, this guy knows damn well he got an undeserved promotion over other people with better records and he still took the promotion.
That tells me all I need to know about this “leader”.
View Quote
Perhaps he believes that he was passed over unfairly and that he deserves this?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I was wondering why. I opened the thread. I'm not wondering anymore.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could be.

And just because someone at the O6 level doesn’t make flag certainly does not mean they are a bad leader. It’s a numbers thing. But any even perceived bad mark will stop any O6 from flag.

This guy may be a great leader but my guess instead is he will be a great and loyal progressive soldier for the dementia potus
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
So question from someone with no military background. It sounds like if you are passed over for promotion a few times that you are forced out of the military. So if you have 12 years in and want to make a career out of it, you get shown the door if you do not advance?  What if you are good at your current job?  Just curious because that seems like it could suck bad if you were close to retiring and got fired with no pension or benefits.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Could be.

And just because someone at the O6 level doesn’t make flag certainly does not mean they are a bad leader. It’s a numbers thing. But any even perceived bad mark will stop any O6 from flag.

This guy may be a great leader but my guess instead is he will be a great and loyal progressive soldier for the dementia potus
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Could be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be.

I think there was an article about this guy before, IIRC his record is pretty much “this is a guy who gets a star” but whether that was a manufactured thing or not I have no idea (and wouldn’t be qualified to speculate on).
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So question from someone with no military background. It sounds like if you are passed over for promotion a few times that you are forced out of the military. So if you have 12 years in and want to make a career out of it, you get shown the door if you do not advance?  What if you are good at your current job?  Just curious because that seems like it could suck bad if you were close to retiring and got fired with no pension or benefits.
View Quote

Non mil guy here too, but sounds like they're put on a retirement track if they're close enough. I don't know if there is a sort of age thing going on, like captain by age 25 or 30, major by 35, etc.

ETA: I suspect it's harsher for enlisted. Passed over enough times, you are forced out, I'm guessing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Non mil guy here too, but sounds like they're put on a retirement track if they're close enough. I don't know if there is a sort of age thing going on, like captain by age 25 or 30, major by 35, etc.

ETA: I suspect it's harsher for enlisted. Passed over enough times, you are forced out, I'm guessing.
View Quote

O6 is forced retired at 30. There may be an exception here or there like previous enlisted service
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Colonels can stay to 30 years for full retirement regardless of the number of times a non-select to BG.
View Quote
This is correct (for GD, DMark knows he is correct).  The full slate of Colonels will be reviewed for potential appointment to Brigadier General each year in the Marine Corps.

Col Henderson's initial commission date is 1989, so he has run out of time to stay in service without this appointment.

The current time to promote to Colonel in the USMC is 22 years.  The mean years of service at which an appointment for BG is granted to Colonels is 27 years.

The passed over language is typically ascribed to mid-career field grade officers looking to earn their O-5 and O-6 promotions.

The strength of experience of each COL is weighed against each other for the appointment nominations.  The NY Times has profiled Col Henderson twice, and neither the authors or field of commentators grasp the field of Colonels.

Twenty years ago, I was the HQ Co XO for a squadron which was producing 30 year Colonels, so I am familiar with the process these Marines go through.  Further, my TBS squad has produced 2 full birds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the way it is. Depending on when you are in, promotions are slow and difficult, or fast as long as you are not stupid.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

He keeps getting busted down for buzzing the tower.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Bear in mind the selection rate for BG's is something like 2%, so most good guys don't make it past Colonel, even if they had O-6 command.

That being said, most of them get one chance and get the "you aren't getting promoted" call. Rarely do you see guys with that many non-selects get pulled from the above zone though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The thing is, this guy knows damn well he got an undeserved promotion over other people with better records and he still took the promotion. That tells me all I need to know about this “leader”.
View Quote

That's your white privilege showing...
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is the way it is. Depending on when you are in, promotions are slow and difficult, or fast as long as you are not stupid.
View Quote

I did a single hitch as a navy MA and saw my rate go from “can’t make Chief? Got a pulse? Crossrate!” to kicking out E5s in like 3ish years. Such is military personnel management.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The pool of full bird Colonels in the USMC is fairly small.  I believe they all get looked at annually for promotion.  As long as your age and years in service don't push you out the door I don't see getting passed over for General to be the deciding factor in when a Colonels career is over.  They have an expiration date.  And when they hit that date they get shown the door.  Becoming a General in the USMC is exceedingly rare just because the Corps is relatively small.  Making Colonel in the USMC is quite an achievement.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As the article states

“A Black Marine officer”

He very well may be qualified, plenty of politics in the military as anywhere, but they make it about something other than his ability, which isn’t his fault, unless he’s a shitbag...
View Quote

Thought the Marines were one of the first to integrate their troops?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lol

ETA: Hitler joined the mARINEs?
View Quote

took me a second but I found him
just like those old where's waldo books LOL
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#31]
You get 3 looks.  But after the second fail to promote, the statutory 3rd look is administrative and unlikely to produce results.

IF you are vested, you may remain on active duty until your high - year tenure point.
(In the Navy - I don't know if other services have different cut points  I suspect they are the same because Congress controls the Officer Numbers in the budget).

O-4 Promotion window to O-5 is generally at 16 years - High Year tenure is 20 years (Retirement eligible - was 16 years until the late 90s which caused a lot of Officers not to stay for their Department Head tours - risk getting to 16 years, not getting promoted and no retirement to show for it)

O-5 Promotion window to O-6 is generally at 19 years - High Year tenure is 26 years

O-6 High Year tenure is 30 years

Failing to promote to O-4 is...bad

New retirement system will likely change all of this
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That’s insane. The competition for flag is beyond harsh. I’ve never heard of someone making flag without having an impeccable record and certainly never passed up for promotion. I wonder how many more qualified dudes were passed over for this?
View Quote

Especially in the Marine Corps.  They have a very small number of flag billets.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted: Any second active duty past 20 you're working for half pay.

View Quote

A rare officer that understands marginal cost!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Officer's don't get "busted down".
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The pool of full bird Colonels in the USMC is fairly small.  I believe they all get looked at annually for promotion.  As long as your age and years in service don't push you out the door I don't see getting passed over for General to be the deciding factor in when a Colonels career is over.  They have an expiration date.  And when they hit that date they get shown the door.  Becoming a General in the USMC is exceedingly rare just because the Corps is relatively small.  Making Colonel in the USMC is quite an achievement.
View Quote

Being retained in the USMC to any retirement age is an achievement. For all of the Corps' flaws, their pool of field grades is the best pound for pound in the DOD by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure that is what "affirmative" action is all about...finally justice for past grievances...for him personally or for the race or both.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In my case its been 5 times passed over.  Been non-selected more times than I've been promoted.

In the AF they have something called "selective continuation".  Basically I wasn't selected for promotion but selected to stay in to retire.  There also was an option to stay in to 24 years, which I declined.  Any second active duty past 20 you're working for half pay.

View Quote

I was taught this early in my career.  Ended up doing 21 just cause thats the way the clock worked.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Any second active duty past 20 you're working for half pay.

I'm not so sure about that.

My first post service job I was making 2/3 of what I did in uniform, without the tax benefits.
But maybe I'm an unmarketable schlub.

The extra 2.5% per year of service beyond 20 was a nice bump to the pension.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And buzzing admirals daughters
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As the article states

“A Black Marine officer”

Read which way the wind is blowing in this country recently.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I was taught this early in my career.  Ended up doing 21 just cause thats the way the clock worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And whoever taught you that is wrong. If you go ten years without at least one promotion, you are probably garbage.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can only speak to the AF side, but generally after you’re passed over the second time that was game over. You can be ”continued” to get to retirement, but you’d be very unlikely to progress after that. To make 1-star after getting passed over? That’s unheard of from my limited experience.
View Quote

I personally know of an Air Force O5 who was passed over three times, then made O6.  White as the pure driven snow.  Just a good guy who did great work, and didn't have the right guardian angel until right up against his retirement date.  Working directly for a 2-star can bring back any career, apparently.

ETA:  Then, once you make the next rank, it resets all the counters (time in grade, etc.)   So I could see it.  

BTW, I think you know who I'm talking about, I think he was at the same base we were at, same time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I personally know of an Air Force O5 who was passed over three times, then made O6.  White as the pure driven snow.  Just a good guy who did great work, and didn't have the right guardian angel until right up against his retirement date.  Working directly for a 2-star can bring back any career, apparently.

ETA:  Then, once you make the next rank, it resets all the counters (time in grade, etc.)   So I could see it.  

BTW, I think you know who I'm talking about, I think he was at the same base we were at, same time.
View Quote

A lot of Officers fail to promote on Active Duty.
Get out, remain in the reserves, and get promoted.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it's a fucking movie, so...
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

For EM it's Up or Out.  If you do not Continuously get promoted every so often you are Gone.
E-5 after 10 years, E-6 after 20, I don't know what the cutoffs are now.

I can only guess what the numbers for officers are.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the Marines it was “up or out” for both officer and enlisted. If you make Major (O-4) or Staff Sergeant (E-6) you could basically stay for 20, as long as you did not commit a crime.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

And whoever taught you that is wrong. If you go ten years without at least one promotion, you are probably garbage.
View Quote

Not sure what you are talking about referring to promotion but I think you missed the point.  Staying in beyond 20 equals working for half pay when you can retire and start another job there by collecting 2 paychecks.
For me, I lined up a consulting gig about 6 months shy of retiring.  It pays significantly more than I was making as a CPO.  That's the theory of working for half pay.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Army is the same way but I didn't have the option to stay until 24 (pre-2000).

For me it was 4 times in the secondary zone.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
 Any second active duty past 20 you're working for half pay.

View Quote

This is so true and I hardly hear anyone bring it up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top