Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2004 3:33:38 PM EDT
Im from Chicago. My first time in NYC, I ordered a "pop". The woman looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

When I first moved to Wisconsin, all of my classmates were talking about getting a drink of water from the "bubbler." It took me weeks to figure out that they were referring to the "drinking fountain".

My Texan friend yells at me every time I say the word "wallet." She says, "It's not a wallet! It's a billfold!" She also says that any carbonated beverage in Texas is a "coke," regardless of brandname.

What words are specific to your area?  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm from the south and I call it pop.

A package of Lance's crackers are called "nabs", probably a reference to Nabisco.

A paper bag is called a "poke".
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
"Billfold", good point, doesn't have any of those nasty W's in its name...you know...the ones that always come out as Vallet
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know anybody in TX that calls a wallet a billfold.

It's true, however, that everything here is a "coke".  Probably because Pepsi sucks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like there is a lot of coke in Texas.
Doe it all come in bottles......
or is some in cans ?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I really hate when people from MA come down here and say "wicked" in almost every sentence.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I really hate when people from MA come down here and say "wicked" in almost every sentence.

That's a wicked thing to say.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
western NY, it's pop here at least with most people. my friend's mom was from CT and she called it soda though (or was it cola?)
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Checked into a hotel in Nashville, woman at the counter said the coke machine was in the hall. Walked around the corner and it was [grr]Pepsi.[/grr]

Another regional fav, order Ice Tea in a restaurant in the south. Invariably you will be asked if you want sweet tea or iced tea.

Another regional fav, try, just try I tell you, to find real brewed ice tea in Canada. You have to order hot tea and pour it on ice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew someone was gonna do that...
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Gimme a cold drink and a moon pie.I like moon pie.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"Billfold", good point, doesn't have any of those nasty W's in its name...you know...the ones that always come out as Vallet

My junior year in high school, my roommate was from Germany. I always used to poke fun at her for things like this. She'd say "wacation" and "wodka" all the time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
What happened to just asking for what you want?

If I want a Coke I ask for a Coke.  If I want 7UP I ask for 7UP.  I don't just say I'll have a soda and expect the person serving me it to know what I want, nor should they have to ask what kind of soda you want.

Here I hear them all.  Soda or (So-Dee), Cola, Pop, Coke, Soda-Pop.

I have a couple friends, one from Texas and the other from Georgia.  They say some funny shit.  Like the word fix'n.   I am fix'n to be 29, instead of I will be 29.  "Yall", I hate that one.  It is "you all".  They call all drinks Coke also.  They crack me up sometimes with some of the words they use.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What happened to just asking for what you want?

If I want a Coke I ask for a Coke.  If I want 7UP I ask for 7UP.  I don't just say I'll have a soda and expect the person serving me it to know what I want, nor should they have to ask what kind of soda you want.

It's more with fastfood joints, where they just hand you an empty cup to fill yourself. So, I order a "medium pop."
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
When I moved to SC, I was surprised to hear grocery carts referred to as 'buggies'.

And they call all pop 'soda'.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My Texan friend yells at me every time I say the word "wallet." She says, "It's not a wallet! It's a billfold!" She also says that any carbonated beverage in Texas is a "coke," regardless of brandname.

You are right about the "coke" thing, that's just the way things were and probably still are in parts of the state. When I dated a lady from New York State we had lots of laughs at each others expense. And for all you northern ladies, down here it's called a purse, not a pocketbook! But mine is my wallet.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Carbonated Soft Drink = Soda

Leather good for carrying ID, currency, etc (typically, in pocket) = Wallet

Wicked = What witches are, not an expletive or exclamation.

Ice(d) Tea = Sweetened or unsweetened.

Vaffanculo = Fuck off, in Italian (for Aimless)
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#18]
North Dakota:

Pop, Water Fountain, ATM or Cash Machine

Wisconsin:

? (maybe soda), bubbler, TIME MACHINE

the last one is the one that kills me

people around here call ATMs  time machines
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Hit it wicked fah Nomah!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thing is, I'm just going with the program. No matter what I say, they are going to ask anyway. "A small diet coke, no ice, please." - "Pepsi OK?" - "Ugh. sure, why not." "But we don't got diet, just regular." "Fine, whatever." Of course, I'll find that the cup contains half a liter of ice and an ounce of Diet Dr Pepper.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My junior year in high school, my roommate was from Germany. I always used to poke fun at her for things like this. She'd say "wacation" and "wodka" all the time.

Oddly enough, that's the inscription on my family coat of arms, "Wacation, Wodka, Wimmens".
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Well ...

Depending on your locale, cunt refers to a man in one, and womenz in another.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#25]
www.popvssoda.com/

has the regional breakdown.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#26]
L.A. Kali-fornia, its either soda, pop, or soda pop. Coke around means the actual Coca Cola® drink.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By passgas55
I like moon pie.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#28]

the last one is the one that kills me

Actually, it's TYME machine. When ATMs first came out around here, they were all (and maybe still are) part of the TYME network, which stood for Take Your Money Everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well as this transplanted Mainer would say "Pie is WICKED GOOD"!!!  In Maine, were I lived we called carbonated drinks Soda.  Part of New Hampshire call it Tonic!!!!  

There is one soda in Maine called Moxie and I think it tastes like SHIT!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm from a near west suburb of Chicago, and everyone refered to it at soda.

I just came back from Germany...they call diet Coke and Pepsi, Coke Light and Pepsi Light.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I just came back from Germany...they call diet Coke and Pepsi, Coke Light and Pepsi Light.

Yeah, I'm a Diet Coke fanatic. When I went to Germany, I saved a bunch of the Coke Light cans. The crap tastes differently over there though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#32]
We call wallets wallets and soft drinks soft drinks.

We call shrimps prawns and prawns shrimps.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I grew up in L.A. and called it Soda for years. Then I moved to Michigan and call it Pop.

My mother's husband is from East Texas and calls it a "Col' Drank"
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Dang it Slash, ya' done stole my thunder. I was going to say that here in Tennessee they call the Shopping Carts...... Buggies. I keep  trying to tell em' that a Buggie is something you hitch a horse to and that the thing you push thru the store is a Shopping Cart.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm a Diet Coke fanatic. When I went to Germany, I saved a bunch of the Coke Light cans. The crap tastes differently over there though.

That almost deserves its own thread. How come half a gallon of diet coke has the same effect on me as a couple of joints, minus the hacking and coughing and the being illegal parts, of course? That shit is addictive!

On differences in flavor between Germany and the US: I noticed that. Coke, Diet Coke, Marlboros, Luckies, Kraft cheese singles, and other stuff taste totally different, despite being sold under the same label.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Kar98, you must be gettin' a buzz off of the Aspertame stuff that they sweeten it with. There are a lot of people that can't take it and it makes em' light headed. Personally, I'd rather deal with the real sugar then the lab made crap. Man, I miss Jolt Cola.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Kar98, you must be gettin' a buzz off of the Aspertame stuff that they sweeten it with. There are a lot of people that can't take it and it makes em' light headed. Personally, I'd rather deal with the real sugar then the lab made crap. Man, I miss Jolt Cola.

I thought that was still around
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Lunch Meat in the Midwest
Cold Cuts NY & NE

Soda in South Pop in the North

Chip Chop = thinly sliced boiled ham in NE Ohio

Muffler vs scarf

traffic accident observers =gapers, on-lookers,rubber-neckers, gawkers

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Moxie? Moxie is a very old soda that was popular at one time, but I thought they stopped making it about 60 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#40]
MA is simply just a f*cked-up state. If you want a sub sandwich, you have to order a "Hoagie". If you want a milkshake, you have to order a "Frappe".
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I once knew a girl from Boston. I guess I never figured "wicked" was a regional thing. Guessed more an age thing.

I'm from southwest Nebr. We call them pops and billfolds, purses, grocery carts, and you bag groceries in a sack. Pretty muche the same in western Colo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I did a marketing project (brand identification) in college ('92) about soft drinks. You might be interested to know some of the findings. Here are some tidbits as I recall them:

Coke is consumed more in Southern states

Pepsi is consumed more in Northern and New England states.

Consumers in their respective regions tend to refer to soft drinks in generic terms such as "Coke" or "Pepsi" regardless of the actual brand name.

Racial breakdown: whites drink more Coke than blacks. Blacks drink more Pepsi than whites.

Consumers at the highest socio-economic levels drink Ginger Ale and are overwhelmingly white.

Consumers at the lowest socio-economic levels tend to drink off brands and curiously RC-Cola.

There was much more, but that's all I can think of right now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moxie? Moxie is a very old soda that was popular at one time, but I thought they stopped making it about 60 years ago.

That crap is still around, it is still sold in Maine!  Nyquil (green) tastes better!!!!

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I call it Coke, I called it Coke in Co and NY.  Tea has sugar and is brewed not that bottled crap.

Wierdest thing I ever heard was from soneone who lived in Cali, "man thats butthurt"  I dont know what it was supposed to mean.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#45]
When I was young during the CB craze days, and living in Ohio, some guy used to talk on the radio about sitting on his "Davenport".

WTF was a davenport?
Turns out, it was his couch.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#46]
My Mother is a good Suthern Lady and she always has "Idees"  Took me 10 year to figure out she had an "Idea"  And she also has a "Diddie",I belive thats my granddad......Oh and in the south we take our Tea Iced and Sweet,No need to ask.   UDOG
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
When I was young during the CB craze days, and living in Ohio, some guy used to talk on the radio about sitting on his "Davenport".

WTF was a davenport?
Turns out, it was his couch.

Jay

Hmmmmmmmmm. We had davenports around that time here in Orygun, and also davenoes (sp?). A couch was something used to surround something, or indicated somethings environment, as in: The davenport was couched in the living room."
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Wallet
Soda
Wash (not wrsch)
Car

Andate tutti a 'fanculo!

Oh yea, it's dinner, not supper!
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm from AK, and I've always refered to it as 'pop.'  Same goes for most everyone else I know.  

But one time, at my friends house from Alabama, he asked me if I wanted a coke, and I said "sure."  And then he hands me a Sprite, and I'm just like, "What the hell is this?"  And he said that everyone in AL calls everything coke.  Anyway

Brian
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Coke is a general variety cola of any type to me.  Sprite and similar is a Drink.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top