Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2021 3:52:52 PM EDT
It's time for a new grill... I've done the kettle grills, drum smokers, electric pellet smoker, etc and am looking to the hive on advice.

I do enjoy a good smoked brisket or slabs of ribs but honestly will likely it'll be utilized more for burgers/steaks.  Was leaning towards a Weber 26" kettle but after seeing what those go for, was wondering if the step-up to a Traeger is worth it or if there's something else out there all the tier 1 grill masters are using.

Edit: no propane bs.  I like to taste the heat and the meat.

(search via google is broke as a joke so while i see this topic has been discussed before I'm unable to find that long string of wisdom)
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
BGE
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BGE
View Quote

Does everything. Mine has seen many many years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Like vehicles and guns, different grills have different purposes, pros, cons and features.
I would actually recommend you watch a bunch of episodes of Steven Raichen's show Project Fire.  
He uses different grills (and explains them) throughout the series...  including a $10,000 Kamado egg!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I asked this same question to the hive back last spring and was looking at the Weber grills also. They talked me into a Kamado Joe and OMG am I ever thankful that they did. Buy once cry once and never look back man... you will thank yourself later.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm eyeballing a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. I really want a pellet smoker/grill.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Kamado Joe. My brother owns an Ace hardware store and deals both. He did a comparison of each and the KJ came out ahead for what it includes. He has also been more impressed with their customer service. It really does it all and doesn’t seem to care about ambient temp like metal grills do. It ain’t cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Kamodo Joe

Big Joe 3

Went from a higher end gas grill to this and it truly does it all from smokin to 600F pizza

If you want set and forget like a pellet grill get a thermoworks bellows and a smoke probe
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
BGE is the truth, so many things you can do with it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Kamado Joe - Big Joe version.  Wait for the annual Costco tour they do and save a few hundred.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the Recteq Bullseye.  Can do low slow smoke and 750deg sears.  

I can get it to over 500degrees in less than ten minutes.

First Look at the Upgraded REC TEC Bullseye
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Traeger or a Kamado style ceramic is what goes for Tier 1 these days.

I have neither, and my Weber Kettle and Weber Smokey Mountain have served me well.

I would like a Kamado at some point in the future though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
My 26" weber is pretty darn easy to use and wouldn't hesitate buying another but those kamotos do seem nice.  Wasn't all that impressed with my neighbors bge, seems he burns the shit out of a lot of things he cooks but he may just suck at using it.

Something I pieced together with spare parts on hand, except all of the screws.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm eyeballing a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. I really want a pellet smoker/grill.
View Quote
I just bought a Jim Bowie.  It's great for ribs, butts, and briskets but it leaves a lot to be desired for steaks and chicken.  I'll be picking up a BGE soon and I'll have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BGE
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Masterbuilt 560. Gravity fed charcoal grill. Will smoke, grill, sear, anything you need it to do. No pellet nonsense, just straight up charcoal. I love it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Kamado Joe > BGE
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Yoder
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d go with a ceramic Kamado style grill. I’ve had a Big Green Egg since ‘12. That said, if I were buying today, I would take a close look at the Kamado Joe, they’ve innovated better that BGE over the last 10 years and their packages seem to include more off the bat.

With any ceramic grill make sure it has a great warranty and you have a dealer close. To BGE credit, every part that I’ve had issue with dealer replaced it with no issues.

I will say, those pellet deals tempt me, they look super easy, set and forget, but the BGE isn’t that much more effort and is more versatile. Worst case you can buy a pit controller if you want super easy.

I will probably add a black stone this year, those flat tops look fun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just bought a Jim Bowie.  It's great for ribs, butts, and briskets but it leaves a lot to be desired for steaks and chicken.  I'll be picking up a BGE soon and I'll have the best of both worlds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good to know. I'm going to take a look at the BGE too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I do enjoy a good smoked brisket or slabs of ribs but honestly will likely it'll be utilized more for burgers/steaks.  Was leaning towards a Weber 26" kettle but after seeing what those go for, was wondering if the step-up to a Traeger is worth it or if there's something else out there all the tier 1 grill masters are using.
View Quote

BGE is probably the way to go. the fan boys will argue otherwise, but in reality its not really a smoker.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use a Kamado Joe. My brother owns an Ace hardware store and deals both. He did a comparison of each and the KJ came out ahead for what it includes. He has also been more impressed with their customer service. It really does it all and doesn’t seem to care about ambient temp like metal grills do. It ain’t cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.
View Quote

I have both and the KJ is a great value.  I've had the BGE  much longer and find it easier to cook on.  Especially for low and slow cooks.  I can't really explain why as they appear virtually identical from a practical standpoint.  In fairness I haven't done many low and slows on the KJ.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#23]
As mentioned, BGE, Komado Joe, or Primo would all be great choices. I have personally owned BGE’s for over 15 years. I can tell you their warranty is second to none. If you buy them new, they come with lifetime warranty on all the ceramic pieces. You will have pieces crack from time to time and they replace with no questions ask. I’m not privy to the other ceramic options warranty but I would assume they are similar. If your looking for something to grill steaks all the way up to 1,000 degrees or slow smoke something at 225, then ceramic is your answer. It does it all.

If your looking for a cheap option, I would stick with a regular Weber kettle any day before any of the pellet options. I’m just not a fan.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Weber Summit Kamado. I got one before the stop sale and my replacement is on its way. Now I’ll have 2 of them. So fucking pumped about that.

Made some ribs during a light snow and it just ticked away keeping steady temps.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Kamado Joe Classic for a small family. Big Joe for big family. I use it for everything from low and slow to a quick sear on a steak. I do pizza with the DoJoe as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My 26" weber is pretty darn easy to use and wouldn't hesitate buying another but those kamotos do seem nice.  Wasn't all that impressed with my neighbors bge, seems he burns the shit out of a lot of things he cooks but he may just suck at using it.

https://i.imgur.com/HhCYW15l.jpg

View Quote

@LastRites got a cut sheet for that awesome beauty?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Hasty bake. Made in America. Oldest grill manufacturer as well. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#28]
For both smoking and grilling I'd still go with a pellet grill.    Just make sure it has the feature where you can uncover the smoke pot for the times when you want to bbq with flame vs smoke.  Most all the decent smokers will have something similar.   Also I'd pass on the

Traeger and go with another manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Gatorade96, oh man let me check as I likely did keep it but finding it is the task. The aluminum tubing was from screen enclosure extrusion and some aluminum fence posts, the pickets below the grill are actual fence pickets my fence guy had laying around and gave to me.  Exterior is made out of a black Star-Board material and I am eventually going to swap the top with a chunk of granite I need to pick up from the west coast.

I'll PM you if I find my drawing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya, your buddy sucks at using the BGE then.  My buddy has one and makes fantastic things on it.

OP, you didn't mention budget.  If a BGE/Kj is out of your budget, taken a look at a Char-griller Akorn.  I got one "free" and am giving it it's maiden brisket smoke tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For both smoking and grilling I'd still go with a pellet grill.    Just make sure it has the feature where you can uncover the smoke pot for the times when you want to bbq with flame vs smoke.  Most all the decent smokers will have something similar.   Also I'd pass on the

Traeger and go with another manufacturer.
View Quote

Pellet grills are shit for grilling. Sorry, but that’s the truth.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Masterbuilt 560. Gravity fed charcoal grill. Will smoke, grill, sear, anything you need it to do. No pellet nonsense, just straight up charcoal. I love it.
View Quote

I'm looking at this one currently.
Seems to have the perfect combination of features and temperature range for me.
Problems I've heard include the interior of the firebox burning or rusting out?
And some say the switches get gummed up and fail, not sure if one or both of those can be mitigated with proper maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#34]

This all year long. Your treagars and ceramic smokers will not outlast or out cook a Lyfe Time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Grill, tier one?

Wilmington Grill.

https://www.wilmingtongrill.com/products/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
BGE
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Call your local High School.  See if their AG class makes and sells grills.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#38]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#39]
BGE will win the popularity contest every time, and they’re great grills. But, if you want the same grill, and functionality, while supporting American manufacturing instead of Mexico, then Primo is your answer. I’ve got both the XL and Kamado. They get used multiple times per week without issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Bge XL
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I have never needed more than my Weber for most things.

I have a big grill made from a stainless 55gal drum for big parties where I’m going to be cooking for a crowd.

I have my eye on the Big Green Egg for when my outdoor setup is built when I get around to it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#42]

RT-700
Built like a tank! Smoke from 180 and can grill over 500
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Check out the Recteq Bullseye.  Can do low slow smoke and 750deg sears.  

I can get it to over 500degrees in less than ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8avwQDjeo
View Quote

Bullseye gets insanely hot! This is at 749
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File
KUDU GRILL
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Weber Summit Kamado. I got one before the stop sale and my replacement is on its way. Now I’ll have 2 of them. So fucking pumped about that.

Made some ribs during a light snow and it just ticked away keeping steady temps.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273943/0C126DF3-393C-40CE-9C96-DB5F7E5138F2_jpe-1793305.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273943/3C3B21D7-F032-41BB-9482-FDAD9669616D_jpe-1793311.JPG
View Quote

This is what I plan on for my next grill.  My current weber kettle is showing it's age and will need replaced this yeat
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do it. I love mine. I have 5 grills. The green mountain and BGE are my favorite.

The green mountain has a rotisserie and a pizza oven attachment.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit: like others said. Pellet grills are not great at everything. I’ll keep my other grills to fill the gaps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the Masterbuilt 1050 and love it! There are guys that make firebox inserts, water tanks and other mods for it as well. I have not had any issues with the switches, but they are easy enough to clean or bypass. It can go low and slow or get to 700 degrees for searing. Smoke, grill, cold smoking, I have no complaints as I have done all three on mine.  
  That being said, if I had more money than sense or really wanted to go tier 1, I would have got a gravity feed from HERE
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Some sort of ceramic komodo.  Nothing is more versitle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top