User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out the Recteq Bullseye.  Can do low slow smoke and 750deg sears.  

I can get it to over 500degrees in less than ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8avwQDjeo
View Quote

Interesting. The price isn’t crazy either.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Webber kettle grill Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what men use.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know what tier 1 operators use.

But I have been enjoying a Weber Genesis. Three burner plus sear was easily getting to 600 yesterday in 25 degree weather.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://i.postimg.cc/BvY6Vfcc/795-FF435-C2-A7-429-D-89-A3-3-EA306-F54-CAA.jpg

RT-700
Built like a tank! Smoke from 180 and can grill over 500
View Quote

Chinese trash...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Chinese trash...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BGE
View Quote

Yep (although KamadoJoe/Primo) are acceptable as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure what you currently have, but I really like my uds with a fan controller - just don't buy a pre-made UDS, that is just wrong.

I have an offset, BGE, Weber kettle, and several gas grills (that are currently in rotation).  I mostly grill on a Weber gas, unless I want to play - then will do the BGE or kettle.  If I want to smoke 20lbs or less, odds are I use the UDS (unless the controller is fucked, then use the BGE).  The UDS with a controller smokes vastly better than the BGE - the BGE does not tolerate large quantities of smoking wood and in general does not need as much of a fire (so makes less smoke out of the tiny amount of wood it uses).  If I need to smoke over 20lbs, I can always fire up the smokehouse (that uses the same controller).  It can hold several hundred lbs of meat and I have done 24hr smokes without refueling it (it fuels with essentially the same amount of wood as a regular UDS) - as it is essentially an very efficiently insulated UDS (the fan exhausts the the smokehouse from a gap near the roof, down hollow walls to vents under the smokehouse).  As such the interior walls of the smokehouse are probably close to the same temp as the inside of the smokehouse.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#9]
A 26" Weber Kettle will do anything you need unless you're feeding large groups (15 or more) regularly.  You can spend more for something else but you don't need to.

Just my $0.02.  Most $2K grill owners will say I'm wrong, and I'm cool with that, but I'm not.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Real Tier 1 operators make their own grills and smokers from 24 inch gas line.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do it. I love mine. I have 5 grills. The green mountain and BGE are my favorite.

The green mountain has a rotisserie and a pizza oven attachment.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425345/DAD10B56-39DC-425C-822F-7C4459178CD7_jpe-1795273.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425345/F9F5ADDD-433A-42CE-8A40-B57E2E7A5B8F_jpe-1795275.JPG

Edit: like others said. Pellet grills are not great at everything. I'll keep my other grills to fill the gaps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm eyeballing a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. I really want a pellet smoker/grill.

Do it. I love mine. I have 5 grills. The green mountain and BGE are my favorite.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425345/DAD10B56-39DC-425C-822F-7C4459178CD7_jpe-1795273.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425345/F9F5ADDD-433A-42CE-8A40-B57E2E7A5B8F_jpe-1795275.JPG

Edit: like others said. Pellet grills are not great at everything. I'll keep my other grills to fill the gaps.
I'll for sure be getting one. I have a Weber propane grill for anything the GMG doesn't do well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A 26" Weber Kettle will do anything you need unless you're feeding large groups (15 or more) regularly.  You can spend more for something else but you don't need to.

Just my $0.02.  Most $2K grill owners will say I'm wrong, and I'm cool with that, but I'm not.
View Quote

Except last for any amount of time.

I think I have about $800 in my smoker / grill  made from pipe, expanded metal and angle iron.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Kamado Joe Big Joe 3.  It's not the best smoker, not the beat pizza oven, and it's not the best rotisserie...but it does a damn good job at them all.  I smoked a brisket below freezing a couple weeks ago.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone posted these here.  Im looking at this in gas, i want it to last 20 yrs like my weber.

https://cajunfryer.com/shop/scg20-20-smokin-cajun-grill-gas/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ya, your buddy sucks at using the BGE then.  My buddy has one and makes fantastic things on it.

OP, you didn't mention budget.  If a BGE/Kj is out of your budget, taken a look at a Char-griller Akorn.  I got one "free" and am giving it it's maiden brisket smoke tomorrow!
View Quote

I picked up an Akron Jr two weeks ago for $150, new. I've enjoyed it enough so far that in a year or so I'm going bigger and ceramic. I'm loving this thing and it uses so little charcoal it's crazy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Came here to post Kalamazoo.  The Gaucho is a little out of my price range.

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/k750-freestanding-hybrid-fire-grill/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would have to agree. I wanted an all in one after moving cross country and having to leave my performer and 4 WSM’s behind, so Weber Summit Kamado filled that spot. It also helped that I got 2 for the price of 1.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kamado Joe Big Joe 3.  It's not the best smoker, not the beat pizza oven, and it's not the best rotisserie...but it does a damn good job at them all.  I smoked a brisket below freezing a couple weeks ago.

https://www.brinkleys.org/users/tsl/Files/20201125_164716.jpg
View Quote
do you have a bigger picture of it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll for sure be getting one. I have a Weber propane grill for anything the GMG doesn't do well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm eyeballing a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone. I really want a pellet smoker/grill.

The rotisserie attachment is Awesome. The pizza attachment is okay.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Grill, tier one?

Wilmington Grill.

https://www.wilmingtongrill.com/products/
View Quote

THIS, my Wilmington Grill was bought in 2001 and is as good as new.  We grill about 4 to 5 times a week and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Peice of hesco grate and camel pies
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had three different Traeger grills and one Green Mountain.  

I started with a Traeger tailgater when it first came out because it was reasonably priced.  I used it at home and took it camping.  It worked great.  Did a few briskets, chickens, and pizzas on it.  Along with steaks, burgers and all the other grillable foods.  I did chocolate chip cookies one...unique.  Good texture, a smoke cookie is not something I would say I need to have.  The challenge came first with a turkey, but it fit.  It did not seem like much room for the smoke to roll around...great results.  The real challenge was the larger spiral ham...had to cut it down to fit.  Good otherwise.  Then came a few control panel issues and several parts to replace after 5 years.  

One time I needed a new control panel for the tailgater either at warranty or just after...since I could not verify it they sent me a "used" one from a returned grill at no charge...I went out and bought my second grill a Texan. Because of the customer service.

A few weeks went by after receiving the Texan and I needed to stop by my local grill shop (I did not buy my Texan there) to pick up some pellets and charcoal for my regular grill.  While there I was able to check out a Green Mountain Grill (GMG).  My, what a heavy build it was for the grill and grates.  Similar concept, but just seemed more rugged.  I replaced my Tailgater with the GMG Davey Crockett since I used it primarily for camping and other portable uses.  Rugged, but LOUD when the pellets were feeding.  I had an issue with it shutting down about a year after owning it.  I took it to the repair shop (my local dealer) and mentioned both issues.  They took care of me.  It works and sounds like my Traegers.  I like the wifi when sitting in the chair while camping...makes a long smoke so easy.

The Texan is big, plenty of room for the turkey and ham.  All sorts of room.  I lined the bottom with fire brick to help the heat retention in the winter (I have not problem stepping out to the grill for great food in the single digits or colder).  This grill worked great.  I had it in one location and it was moved by somebody....just a little bit...just enough for my awesome maligator to reach part of it...the wiring.  She pulled the grill over to her to get to the grease bucket.  She also cleaned up the outside of it pretty good.  The trouble...all the wiring was cut up.  The replacement parts added up to about $200 shy of a new one of similar size and build.  This one was about 4 years old and figured it would be best to look at a replacement.  

I looked around and was pretty set on another GMG because it was rugged...real nice build quality.  Then I was at a different dealer which carried both Traeger and GMG.  I stepped up to a Traeger Timberline 1300.  It has a double wall so using it in the winter would be easy...I have added a couple bricks and will add a few more when I have a chance.  I cook on it a lot and really like the 1300's features.  

I believe you would enjoy a pellet grill which can obtain a high heat to attempt to sear meat.  This is a challenge faced by all pellet grills.  My GMG and new Traeger do just fine in this area.  I think the newer grills made today recognize this and have tried to step to the plate.  

FYI I still use a charcoal grill and just started using a Blackstone.  I may give some consideration to a green egg when my charcoal is due to be replaced.  We'll see what everyone's prices are then.

Good luck,

Mike

After closing my dissertation I re-read your title...a Tier 1 Operator will likely be successful using any source of heat for grilling.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Kamado Joe - Big Joe version.  Wait for the annual Costco tour they do and save a few hundred.
View Quote

We bought my son one during the Costco tour.  Good deal and came with extras.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#24]
See that big sumbitch on the right?

I am not the proud owner of the one on the left now that my buddy has upgraded to the one on the right.
Attachment Attached File

I needed a new hobby, and pork, chicken, and beef are cheaper than bullets.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Primo. Made in America.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Anything more than this is a waste of money, unless grills are your hobby.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top