Quoted:

Do you have one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are going to get licensed - you better hurry before they start the $35 fee.

Incidentally, radio coms isn't something you can easily learn once all the instructional videos are no longer on the internet...or the internet gets shut down.

Weird. The .gov burned all those radio books people used prior to the internet?

Do you have one?

Yes.

I tend to purchase books on subjects that interest me. Youtube is a great learning tool for a lot of things, but sometimes I prefer to be able to refer to written text.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Stop letting these fudds sway you dude.

Amateur radio will be VERY valuable in a SHTF climate.

I recommend getting your Tech and General, and using a PO Box as your address.  You can cancel the PO Box once any required paperwork has arrived.
View Quote

Fair enough. I like the PO Box option a lot of you have mentioned. That's probably my biggest hang up at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Long enough on their repeater to know you are there, then long enough to determine a general location. Then long enough and often enough for them to zero in on you.
It is nothing like the animal collars that transmit constantly. Those are somewhat easy to find. Unless you are transmitting almost constantly over a long period, they aren't going to find you without a lot of work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How long would you have to broadcast in one place for them to get a bead on your location?

Long enough on their repeater to know you are there, then long enough to determine a general location. Then long enough and often enough for them to zero in on you.
It is nothing like the animal collars that transmit constantly. Those are somewhat easy to find. Unless you are transmitting almost constantly over a long period, they aren't going to find you without a lot of work.

lol,  no

Look up TDOA / FDOA.  Near instantaneous geolocation... and you can do it with a Rasberry Pi & $20 SDR dongle
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also - OP is using logic akin to that used to discourage kitchen-table FFLs when I was much younger.

Those guys sure showed the ATF.
View Quote

Those guys actually sold guns. I'm not transmitting. If I do, things like the ATF probably won't matter much at that time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fair enough. I like the PO Box option a lot of you have mentioned. That's probably my biggest hang up at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop letting these fudds sway you dude.

Amateur radio will be VERY valuable in a SHTF climate.

I recommend getting your Tech and General, and using a PO Box as your address.  You can cancel the PO Box once any required paperwork has arrived.

I definitely recommend it, especially when you first get your license.  If I switched over to a PO box it would still be easy to look up my address through past applications.  But then again, if you had my name and city you could just look up my address on the county property list.  Which leads us back to, there's nothing stopping us from being on a list just by being on this site.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Those same HAM nerds will be more than willing to put on their brown shirts and report anyone speaking wrongthink over the air to the FCC as well, licensed or unlicensed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are HAM nerds out there that can figure out where you're broadcasting from and sic the FCC on you if you're unlicensed.

Those same HAM nerds will be more than willing to put on their brown shirts and report anyone speaking wrongthink over the air to the FCC as well, licensed or unlicensed.

Where in the hell are all you people getting this??? Ham operators don't give a crap what you do outside the ham frequencies and those make up a very small part of radio frequencies, even those frequencies you can get on your Baofeng.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So keep a pirate rig remotely stashed with your back up guns.
View Quote

Actually a great idea. Are the radio nazis still going to make me use my call sign if it gets to that point?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]
if you are thinking its something you could use when civil war 2.0 starts you are daft.

if you think there is gonna be a civil war 2.0, you are double daft.

if you want to get into ham radio, have at it. its full of boomers talking about the weather, their grandkids, their rig and they most recent surgeries.

it is probably useful for emergencies like earthquakes, hurricanes and similar regional disasters as it is something you can use to communicate with the outside world when other normal forms of communication fair. but this assumes you and the gubernment are on the same side.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
What is your SHTF scenario?  

Who do you plan to talk with the guy on the other end of the country, world, or your like minded buddies you hav been training and prepping with?

If it is the latter perhaps a decent CB set up.  If it is a true bullets flying scenario the FCC worrying about you using more than the legal limit of power isn't gonna be on your top priority list.  Even with say 200 RMS watts you would be shocked how far you can talk.  Yes, I realize that is illegal, but again if bullets are flying are you gonna be worried?  It is a means to communicate not chat about your back pain and weather
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it just me? Where is the downside?

- You need a license to legally use one - AKA - practice and get good with one
- If things get funky you not only know how to use it efficiently and effectively, but how to mimic legal use of it and not ID yourself
- The takeaway for the day traders is that the FCC and other TPTB are alert. Should anyone in your affiliation and relative location key up the mic, your group has a limited time window before they need to solve the Rubik's cube or the physically move a good distance after transmission.
View Quote

Thanks, this seems like the most helpful response I've gotten.

Solid points. Still don't like the idea of government involvement. I do like the part about being able to mimic legal use, but I could probably learn proper nomenclature through listening and passing practice test, no?

In bold - this is what I was trying to say when I said "everything you practiced changes during SHTF".
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

lol,  no

Look up TDOA / FDOA.  Near instantaneous geolocation... and you can do it with a Rasberry Pi & $20 SDR dongle
View Quote

I wonder if the little rascal brigade in my area are using them. 2m is pretty active here, it is pretty rural, and everyone seems to get along.
I can listen and participate in at least 8 weekly nets.
Ham is alive, and it seems like most around here are pretty conservative, church going folks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Oy, vey.

It is unlawful for to use the U.S.  mail to facilitate many crimes.
It is unlawful to cross a state line to facilitate many crimes.

If the FCC notice is the reason you don’t get licensed, perhaps your paranoia has reached the level where professional help is needed......
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Using a ham radio in furtherance of a crime is perfectly fine if you're of the proper party.  Nellie Ohr got her ham license, because what old and ugly communist doesn't like to gab?  Wanna bet Chris Steele and other collaborators also had and used their ham licenses?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well I'll put it this way...

I don't have my radios for long distance comms.
View Quote

Pretty much this. I'd like to be able to listen in from a distance and I've achieved that. My Baofengs will be for family and friends in my immediate AO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you really plan to use your call sign when you are doing something illegal?  

This is beyond silly.   Your little $20 baofeng is going to be mostly worthless for anything other than you, your family and buddies.
View Quote

Right, that's what they are for. No disagreement.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oy, vey.

It is unlawful for to use the U.S.  mail to facilitate many crimes.
It is unlawful to cross a state line to facilitate many crimes.

If the FCC notice is the reason you don’t get licensed, perhaps your paranoia has reached the level where professional help is needed......
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lol, so they are coming to take your radios for no reason? Pro tip: If you have bought anything gun related in the last 5 years with a credit card, you will get that knock long before someone with a ham ticket.
View Quote

Still don't need to put myself on another list for a hobby that's not important to me. Just want the knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
That's okay... All the really cool right wing radicals are now secretly communicating by meme over at Imgur using a code based on the Darmok and Jalad principle.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you are going to get licensed - you better hurry before they start the $35 fee.

Incidentally, radio coms isn't something you can easily learn once all the instructional videos are no longer on the internet...or the internet gets shut down.
View Quote

I don't think I'm that far behind the curve. I programmed radios and used them with repeaters on national incidents for the better part of a decade. Back then it was my agency that had to be licensed...not me. Programming the Baofengs was a damn pleasure in comparison to what I experienced back then.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's okay... All the really cool right wing radicals are now secretly communicating by meme over at Imgur using a code based on the Darmok and Jalad principle.

View Quote

Shaka, when the walls fell bro.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sorry to rain on your parade, but even WROL, if you haven't tried and failed and tried again numerous times BEFORE WROL, you aren't going to be successfully talking to anybody on HF. The idea of having a license beforehand is so you can go through those growing pains and learn how to do it. It's not like downloading an app and suddenly you have full access. Without a license pre WROL, nobody on the airwaves will talk to you. Trust me, they will know. Without that practice it will be too late post WROL to learn.
View Quote

Again, I don't want to talk to anyone on HF. Long distance comms aren't as important to me as short distance. I would like to be able to receive, but don't have the ability to transmit on HF and don't want it. It's like you guys can't seem to fathom that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The gov will shut down the internet before going at the amateur radio service for getting the signal out.
View Quote

I suspect those things would happen simultaneously.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
OMFG the govt will find me if i get a ham license!!!

some of you guys are fucking paranoid

climb out of your moms basement and go out n get some fresh air

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#25]
There are other SHTF scenarios besides our own government hunting down and destroying HAM operations.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gov will shut down the internet before going at the amateur radio service for getting the signal out.

Where is the switch that shuts down ham radio?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Who the heck is talking about tax cheating?    

You’re whining about people being able to find out where you live. People can already find out where you live with a simple google search.

View Quote

Of course my address is widely available. It's what you tie to that address that's an issue. The IRS knows about my address. The gas company knows about my address. And on and on.

The point is...simply having an address doesn't put me in a public database of hobbyists that are going to be doxxed by liberals. Some mouth breathers around here can't seem to understand how it works.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Business band (MURS) can be encrypted.
View Quote

I have the MURS freqs programmed. I'm assuming encryption is just for business licensees that were grandfathered in when it was made public? This is good info...I'll need to do more research.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

100% all it is. IT'S TOOOO HAAAAAARD!!!
View Quote

LOL. I could pass it tomorrow. I've seen the "can't fail" thread. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I cant believe you have to have a license to operate a radio in the first place

Thats pants on head retarded imho
View Quote

Easy to say until you get some tard dumping a 100w of RF energy into you legitimate business operations
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where in the hell are all you people getting this??? Ham operators don't give a crap what you do outside the ham frequencies and those make up a very small part of radio frequencies, even those frequencies you can get on your Baofeng.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are HAM nerds out there that can figure out where you're broadcasting from and sic the FCC on you if you're unlicensed.

IIRC one of our members got a warning letter by another ham operator saying he was out of the ham frequency.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

People have legitimate concerns about adding their name to another list and judging by the governments actions lately that is understandable.

As for licensing lets step back and look at it. I started studying the test pool questions a day ago and will likely test in the next day or two. But truthfully the license is garbage to someone like me. My radio will collect dust unless I need it. "But you have to practice!" Really? You push the button and talk. All the other knowledge is just equipment and bullshit that most will never use.
View Quote

We can be friends. I don't think I benefit from the license. The conversations I'm hearing right now are boring as fuck. No need to add even more boredom by transmitting my own weather report.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Still don't need to put myself on another list for a hobby that's not important to me. Just want the knowledge.
View Quote

Unless you paid cash for all your comms, guess what, you are on the radio list too. The license is not going to attract the attention, they will see you have made the purchases along with guns and you are already there. They can just add unlicensed transmission after they monitor you for a while. Might get your friends and family too if they happen to transmit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#34]
The thing I do not like is that in their regulations: "Your base station can and will be inspected at any time without prior notice". You just gave away your 4th amendment right.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You said practice. It’s right there in your post I quoted. If you’re going to practice you’ve got to key up. That’s all there is to it. Being able to just pick up someone else is the easiest most basic part of having a radio.

Thinking you’re ready for “SHTF” because you’ve got a radio and heard someone talking is like thinking that you’re ready for “SHTF” because you bought a featherweight revolver and know how to load it.

It’s a stupid gear queer mindset that doesn’t know what it doesn’t know.
View Quote

I didn't say I was going to practice. I was saying that licensees can practice all they want, but that shit would change rapidly in a SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have the MURS freqs programmed. I'm assuming encryption is just for business licensees that were grandfathered in when it was made public? This is good info...I'll need to do more research.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Business band (MURS) can be encrypted.

There are two different things.  MURS to the best of my understanding can't use encryption.  Businesses using licensed frequencies may use encryption.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you know you can make your own repeater from two baofengs? The freqs don't go poof, unless they suspend the laws of physics.
View Quote

And you're going to go set that Baofeng on the nearest mountain and your club will continue to use it like nothing happened.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The thing I do not like is that in their regulations: "Your base station can and will be inspected at any time without prior notice". You just gave away your 4th amendment right.
View Quote

They can wait at my po box until I show up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Of course my address is widely available. It's what you tie to that address that's an issue. The IRS knows about my address. The gas company knows about my address. And on and on.

The point is...simply having an address doesn't put me in a public database of hobbyists that are going to be doxxed by liberals. Some mouth breathers around here can't seem to understand how it works.
View Quote

You've reached a conclusion on a course of action with frankly questionable assumptions.  Why are hams going to get doxxed by liberals?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Haven't read past this post, but the "of course they do" comment is off base. I've bought a lot or gear and have never once been asked for a call sign. If I was, I'd take my business elsewhere, and not because I don't have a call. That's a bullshit policy right there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My local Ham shop requires a valid call sign to buy equipment from them.

Of course they do. If it was a body armor or ammo reseller requiring law enforcement credentials we'd all be incensed, but since it's civi legal radios that's okay.

Haven't read past this post, but the "of course they do" comment is off base. I've bought a lot or gear and have never once been asked for a call sign. If I was, I'd take my business elsewhere, and not because I don't have a call. That's a bullshit policy right there.

I was being sarcastic. "But of course they do...bless their little hearts."
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ham radio operators were not allowed to be on the air during WWI and WWII, for fear of spies operating domestically.  All unauthorised radio transmissions were tracked and located subject to arrest and imprisonment.  Expect the same.
View Quote

Much harder to track a mobile unit or HT that is on the go as opposed to a permanent base station.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And you're going to go set that Baofeng on the nearest mountain and your club will continue to use it like nothing happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you know you can make your own repeater from two baofengs? The freqs don't go poof, unless they suspend the laws of physics.

I still haven't heard how the government is going to take control of the repeater at Joe's house.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Licensing now will allow you time to practice your skills before you might have to use your skills anonymously.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who the heck is talking about tax cheating?    

You’re whining about people being able to find out where you live. People can already find out where you live with a simple google search.

So you think that every ham is going to get doxxed by liberals?

Careful who you call mouth breathers. You’re projecting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I cant believe you have to have a license to operate a radio carry a firearm in the first place

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No kidding.  

1) It seems to me that getting your HAM license, a call sign, and registering your address with the Federal government is a terrible idea in the current political climate. It's kind of like buying NFA items in that you get to play with the good stuff, but you also move to the top of the government's shit list when they try to curtail rights.
---- Thanks to big tech doing big data things you're already on list if that's what you're worried about.

2) From a preparedness perspective, there's very little value in a HAM license. The discussions taking place now are completely mundane, contrary to what the Feds are claiming. It's literally just discussions about new radio parts, weather, model rocketry, etc. And in a SHTF situation where these means of communication might actually come in handy they won't be there.
---- From a preparedness perspective, there's very little value in going to the shooting range.

3) My wife said something that stopped me in my tracks, "Won't the government just take over the repeaters in a grid down SHTF situation?" In fact, that article above threatens exactly that. If there's any value in HAM after an "event" it will be of the bootleg variety, because your favorite repeater will be down. Having a license will be to your detriment.
---- What do you mean "take over the repeaters"?  Many are in peoples' houses.  Even without repeaters there's APRS.  A wide3-3 will get you pretty far.  If two is one and one is none, then I've got a lot of options.  Heck, a portable HF radio capable of reaching hundreds of miles (more on a good day) will be here Wednesday.  Unless the feds plan on taking over the ionosphere then I've got a means to talk.
View Quote

Your first two points are logical fallacies called whataboutism.

Your 3rd point is true, and I'm sure feds pulling up in front of someone's home will prove even easier than hiking up to the nearest mountain repeater and cutting power to it. Regardless, transmitting sensitive info in a SHTF situation from a home based repeater seems like the dumbest possible move. You're going to have to be on the move with your portable HF radio.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Give me 5 watts, a carrier signal and a simple dipole and I could talk to the world.  And space even!
I have 1,000's of contacts worldwide on low power morse code.
View Quote

I've been looking at makeshift antennas on Youtube. It doesn't seem as hard as a lot of people here want it to be. Again, I'm just looking to be able to listen to people like yourself though. I'll never have any important intel to pass along. I'm a nobody and I like to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I cant believe you have to have a license to operate a radio in the first place

View Quote

We can also be friends.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep. People buying baofengs and shortwave receivers are just wasting money, and getting on the credit card list.
View Quote

You don't think the combination is valuable for gathering intel from long distances (HF) and communicating at the local level among your small group (Baofeng or similar)?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Your 3rd point is true, and I'm sure feds pulling up in front of someone's home will prove even easier than hiking up to the nearest mountain repeater and cutting power to it. Regardless, transmitting sensitive info in a SHTF situation from a home based repeater seems like the dumbest possible move. You're going to have to be on the move with your portable HF radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  

1) It seems to me that getting your HAM license, a call sign, and registering your address with the Federal government is a terrible idea in the current political climate. It's kind of like buying NFA items in that you get to play with the good stuff, but you also move to the top of the government's shit list when they try to curtail rights.
---- Thanks to big tech doing big data things you're already on list if that's what you're worried about.

2) From a preparedness perspective, there's very little value in a HAM license. The discussions taking place now are completely mundane, contrary to what the Feds are claiming. It's literally just discussions about new radio parts, weather, model rocketry, etc. And in a SHTF situation where these means of communication might actually come in handy they won't be there.
---- From a preparedness perspective, there's very little value in going to the shooting range.

3) My wife said something that stopped me in my tracks, "Won't the government just take over the repeaters in a grid down SHTF situation?" In fact, that article above threatens exactly that. If there's any value in HAM after an "event" it will be of the bootleg variety, because your favorite repeater will be down. Having a license will be to your detriment.
---- What do you mean "take over the repeaters"?  Many are in peoples' houses.  Even without repeaters there's APRS.  A wide3-3 will get you pretty far.  If two is one and one is none, then I've got a lot of options.  Heck, a portable HF radio capable of reaching hundreds of miles (more on a good day) will be here Wednesday.  Unless the feds plan on taking over the ionosphere then I've got a means to talk.

No.  The first two points are called living in reality.

You are worried about being on a list while failing to appreciate you're already on the list.  And expecting to just jump right into HF when folks that do it regularly are always tweaking their stuff and techniques to to get better is as laughable as buying a shotgun and box of shells to bury and figure out how to use when the balloon goes up.

Long story short, you're making the 1% of this site that's sane look bad.  
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top