Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
@JoeJeeps

I’m picking up what you are laying down, had the same thoughts.  Learn it, but stay out of the system.

The people saying “you need to learn and practice” are correct.  To practice, you need to be licensed, yet, is contrary to staying out of the system.

I find the “4473 is the same” crowd a bit amusing.    .gov will need to go digging through paper copies to see what has been purchased over the years.  HAM license are in an electronic, searchable public format.  Which one is easier to exploit?

The same people preaching about being the” Grey man” get all wound up about being a legit license holder.

I see both sides of the argument, but there are some with panties so tight they do not understand your point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I count 16 repeaters (privately owned) within 20 miles of my current location. If the government comes to shut down 16 repeaters, there a good chance they’ve already gotten the guns.

When Katrina hit years ago the only communication coming out of New Orleans was ham radio. Ham was used to coordinate logistic until normal communications could be restored.  

Ham radio does have its place and limitations. I enjoy the hobby and have met many like minded people I otherwise wouldn’t have meet without the connection to ham.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been looking at makeshift antennas on Youtube. It doesn't seem as hard as a lot of people here want it to be. Again, I'm just looking to be able to listen to people like yourself though. I'll never have any important intel to pass along. I'm a nobody and I like to keep it that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me 5 watts, a carrier signal and a simple dipole and I could talk to the world.  And space even!
I have 1,000's of contacts worldwide on low power morse code.

I've been looking at makeshift antennas on Youtube. It doesn't seem as hard as a lot of people here want it to be. Again, I'm just looking to be able to listen to people like yourself though. I'll never have any important intel to pass along. I'm a nobody and I like to keep it that way.

I've seen those guys at Camp Perry shoot.  Doesn't look that hard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, this radio stuff is kind of like engineering and shit. It ain't cell phone where there's countless billions of dollars worth of technology to make it simple. This is me and another guy "chatting" on a digital mode ... 1200 miles apart ... each using less than 5 watts of power but with nice antennas and radios costing maybe as cheap as $400-$500 dollars. To get that to work you got get shit right or it doesn't work. Sorry but the sun will be a cold glowing ember in the sky before you figure out which of the dozens of knobs and switches to move to what position let alone know what kind of antenna to use, where to mount it, and most importantly how to tune it. There are tutors (loving called Elmers) who teach others how to do this ... what other appliance in your house required hours and hours of study, a test so that you know what you're doing, and then requires a tutor to assist you. Clubs of these clever people form up and they cross teach each other the math, the science, and magic that is RF communications. Yeah, they tend not to be kids at the Extra and even the General. Lots of Tech licenses to be sure ..
View Quote

And what kind of earth shattering things do you chat about?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And you're going to go set that Baofeng on the nearest mountain and your club will continue to use it like nothing happened.
View Quote

I don't believe I said anything of the sort. They can be useful in increasing range for other baofengs. I have ht's that can be use as cross band repeaters. There are ways to set up local networks if needed rather cheaply. Having a license lets one practice this for fun in case it is ever needed. Doesn't have to be shtf, just a local event that has taken out cell towers for a few days.
I live rural, and having the ability to get in touch with fire police and ems could be done with a network of ham radios.
Getting a license isn't necessarily putting you on any "list". If it does, well IDGAF.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I definitely recommend it, especially when you first get your license.  If I switched over to a PO box it would still be easy to look up my address through past applications.  But then again, if you had my name and city you could just look up my address on the county property list.  Which leads us back to, there's nothing stopping us from being on a list just by being on this site.
View Quote

The difference being that my name is not public on this site. The site would need to release it to the authorities or get hacked I guess. Either are possibilities, but those seem like lesser risks than just putting my name, call sign, and address out there for public consumption.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I find the “4473 is the same” crowd a bit amusing.    .gov will need to go digging through paper copies to see what has been purchased over the years.  HAM license are in an electronic, searchable public format.  Which one is easier to exploit?
View Quote

You are half right.  Unfortunately you are right in the least important area.  

The 4473 crowd is amusing.  The gov will simply need to get from the large corporations who has made purchases from gun shops or ranges, who has visited gun ranges, and who is members of gun groups online.

That's easy and actually gets you to your goal sooner than harassing a group that is largely beyond fighting age.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me 5 watts, a carrier signal and a simple dipole and I could talk to the world.  And space even!
I have 1,000's of contacts worldwide on low power morse code.

For a receive only antenna,  there are a lot of simple element designs that work quite well.    BUT, when you start transmitting, VSWR becomes very important.

And no, not all antennas are anywhere near "simple" !  You'd be amazed at the amount of computer modeling required to optimize a "simple" looking design
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you are thinking its something you could use when civil war 2.0 starts you are daft.

if you think there is gonna be a civil war 2.0, you are double daft.

if you want to get into ham radio, have at it. its full of boomers talking about the weather, their grandkids, their rig and they most recent surgeries.

it is probably useful for emergencies like earthquakes, hurricanes and similar regional disasters as it is something you can use to communicate with the outside world when other normal forms of communication fair. but this assumes you and the gubernment are on the same side.
View Quote

You basically just repeated my first post.

As to your second point, there will most certainly be another war on American soil. Whether that happens within our lifetimes nobody knows. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The difference being that my name is not public on this site. The site would need to release it to the authorities or get hacked I guess. Either are possibilities, but those seem like lesser risks than just putting my name, call sign, and address out there for public consumption.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely recommend it, especially when you first get your license.  If I switched over to a PO box it would still be easy to look up my address through past applications.  But then again, if you had my name and city you could just look up my address on the county property list.  Which leads us back to, there's nothing stopping us from being on a list just by being on this site.

You are worried about edge cases of the ham community being targeted, but then don't care about the fact that your activation email from here was sent in clear text through ISPs and email servers.  There's a good chance you used the same email address at a dozen other sites that know who you really are.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I decided to get my license. I'm getting technician, I might even try for general too if I get time to study this week.

I already have NFA items so fuck it, what's one more list?

Like you are not already on list anyway.
View Quote

Most I've talked too that got their general wished they had just gone ahead and finished the Extra exam.   So much of the knowledge is shared and it's not a whole lot more to study at all.  Not a great leap in available frequencies but still nice to just have the callsign.  

It took me so long to actually get into an exam, (always on the road) that when I did I ran all three exams in one sitting.  Easy-peasy.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I count 16 repeaters (privately owned) within 20 miles of my current location. If the government comes to shut down 16 repeaters, there a good chance they've already gotten the guns.

When Katrina hit years ago the only communication coming out of New Orleans was ham radio. Ham was used to coordinate logistic until normal communications could be restored.  

Ham radio does have its place and limitations. I enjoy the hobby and have met many like minded people I otherwise wouldn't have meet without the connection to ham.
View Quote

Friend was an ER nurse at the charity hospital that flooded in New Orleans. They had ONE land lline phone going in/out the entire time. He couldn't call someone in New Orleans or his wife in Baton Rouge. He could call me in East, Texas and I relayed some calls for him, he'd call me and say he was okay and I'd call and tell his wife in Baton Rouge. After a while peoples cell phones batteries died and they didn't have numbers of people to call. Always have in your wallet at least a couple of phone numbers in case you need it without your phone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As to your second point, there will most certainly be another war on American soil. Whether that happens within our lifetimes nobody knows. Time will tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you are thinking its something you could use when civil war 2.0 starts you are daft.

if you think there is gonna be a civil war 2.0, you are double daft.

if you want to get into ham radio, have at it. its full of boomers talking about the weather, their grandkids, their rig and they most recent surgeries.

it is probably useful for emergencies like earthquakes, hurricanes and similar regional disasters as it is something you can use to communicate with the outside world when other normal forms of communication fair. but this assumes you and the gubernment are on the same side.

Yet you think that this thing you believe is not useful in a civil war and is full of old guys talking about the weather is what will get you targeted?  1+1=Potatoe  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Most I've talked too that got their general wished they had just gone ahead and finished the Extra exam.   So much of the knowledge is shared and it's not a whole lot more to study at all.  Not a great leap in available frequencies but still nice to just have the callsign.  

It took me so long to actually get into an exam, (always on the road) that when I did I ran all three exams in one sitting.  Easy-peasy.

View Quote

Nice.  And my callsign is an old 1x3, not a lot of reason to switch up to a 2x2.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is your SHTF scenario?  

Who do you plan to talk with the guy on the other end of the country, world, or your like minded buddies you hav been training and prepping with?

If it is the latter perhaps a decent CB set up.  If it is a true bullets flying scenario the FCC worrying about you using more than the legal limit of power isn't gonna be on your top priority list.  Even with say 200 RMS watts you would be shocked how far you can talk.  Yes, I realize that is illegal, but again if bullets are flying are you gonna be worried?  It is a means to communicate not chat about your back pain and weather
View Quote

We're pretty much in agreement. I only want to be able to communicate with close friends and family in my immediate vicinity. HF would be for gathering intel from the outside world, but again I'd only be listening in. I highly doubt I'd ever have anything important enough to transmit.

My SHTF scenario would be some sort of media blackout. Or if balkanization occurs within the US I assume I'd be behind enemy lines...so hearing transmissions from the free world would come in handy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Whatever.  Still studying for my license and planning on taking the test.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Based on the current political climate, I can't find anything to disagree with in your post.

The learning/training involved in attaining your amateur radio license is not just a license to transmit, it's a license to build and hack and learn your way around radios in general...something that's proven useful in conflicts throughout history.
View Quote

I agree. I printed off a 100 page guide to take the tech test and studied this past weekend and took several practice tests. I appreciate the new knowledge base I just learned.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We're pretty much in agreement. I only want to be able to communicate with close friends and family in my immediate vicinity. HF would be for gathering intel from the outside world, but again I'd only be listening in. I highly doubt I'd ever have anything important enough to transmit.

My SHTF scenario would be some sort of media blackout. Or if balkanization occurs within the US I assume I'd be behind enemy lines...so hearing transmissions from the free world would come in handy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is your SHTF scenario?  

Who do you plan to talk with the guy on the other end of the country, world, or your like minded buddies you hav been training and prepping with?

If it is the latter perhaps a decent CB set up.  If it is a true bullets flying scenario the FCC worrying about you using more than the legal limit of power isn't gonna be on your top priority list.  Even with say 200 RMS watts you would be shocked how far you can talk.  Yes, I realize that is illegal, but again if bullets are flying are you gonna be worried?  It is a means to communicate not chat about your back pain and weather

Some FRS blister packs and a shortwave receiver meet your requirements.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The 4473 crowd is amusing.  The gov will simply need to get from the large corporations who has made purchases from gun shops or ranges, who has visited gun ranges, and who is members of gun groups online.

That's easy and actually gets you to your goal sooner than harassing a group that is largely beyond fighting age.
View Quote

Agreed, all the information can be tracked down.  However, one situation will take more of a targeted approach, the other not so much resources involved.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oy, vey.

It is unlawful for to use the U.S.  mail to facilitate many crimes.
It is unlawful to cross a state line to facilitate many crimes.

If the FCC notice is the reason you don’t get licensed, perhaps your paranoia has reached the level where professional help is needed......
View Quote

What if they make "conservative speak" illegal? They're talking about it on CNN.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed, all the information can be tracked down.  However, one situation will take more of a targeted approach, the other not so much resources involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Targeted?  Sure.  I question the choice of a center of gravity to expend any effort against in the ham roster.  Be better to just use OpenSecrets at that point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What if they make "conservative speak" illegal? They're talking about it on CNN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oy, vey.

If the FCC notice is the reason you don’t get licensed, perhaps your paranoia has reached the level where professional help is needed......

Then you should have stopped posting on this site a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The shit people come up with here to worry about...

View Quote

two weeks ago I would have probably agreed with you.

Now? Not so much

I agree with OP.  I'm rethinking every interaction I have with the govt of this country. They are not on my side
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oy, vey.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66085/download_jpg-1785234.JPG

What happens when they make conservative ideas "hate speech". Then all of a sudden you can't transmit basic conservative tenets over the radio. It's already been happening and the pace is speeding up. Wake up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Now? Not so much

I agree with OP.  I'm rethinking every interaction I have with the govt of this country. They are not on my side
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The shit people come up with here to worry about...

Now? Not so much

Do you have a CCW?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What happens when they make conservative ideas "hate speech". Then all of a sudden you can't transmit basic conservative tenets over the radio. It's already been happening and the pace is speeding up. Wake up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oy, vey.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66085/download_jpg-1785234.JPG

Okay.  I'll still practice on the radio talking about the weather and tech stuff.

You'll still expect to magic it together when needed.

I'm still ahead in the game.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There are other SHTF scenarios besides our own government hunting down and destroying HAM operations.
View Quote

Yes there are, and I'll be able to listen in for any interesting tidbits.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How do you develop ability without practice and experience?

How do you plan to practice and gain experience when almost nobody will talk to you because you don't have a callsign?
View Quote

Use someone else's callsign.

Make one up.

Talk to other people who don't give a shit about call signs?   There's soon to be alot, according to CNN.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where is the switch that shuts down ham radio?
View Quote

It won't require a switch. They'll just outlaw it like they've done before during world events. And all the good little licensees will comply.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Easy to say until you get some tard dumping a 100w of RF energy into you legitimate business operations
View Quote

Did they find the guy?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Targeted?  Sure.  I question the choice of a center of gravity to expend any effort against in the ham roster.  Be better to just use OpenSecrets at that point.
View Quote

All the points made are valid.  

Paranoia, tin foil hat? Possibly.  It seems things are changing at a faster pace than what we have seen in the past.  Last year, would you ever thought that arfcom would have to pull the archives to maintain some PERSEC?

There is a disturbance in the force, I think we can all agree on that one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The thing I do not like is that in their regulations: "Your base station can and will be inspected at any time without prior notice". You just gave away your 4th amendment right.
View Quote

If that's even close to accurate I'm out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There are two different things.  MURS to the best of my understanding can't use encryption.  Businesses using licensed frequencies may use encryption.
View Quote

Thanks, that's what I figured. To my knowledge no civi radio communications can LEGALLY be encrypted.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Easy to say until you get some tard dumping a 100w of RF energy into you legitimate business operations
View Quote

Yup, or comes up on your industrial remote control channel and causes your overhead crane to perform unexpected operations. Or starts talking on the radio frequencies your hospital uses for telemetry, etc.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You've reached a conclusion on a course of action with frankly questionable assumptions.  Why are hams going to get doxxed by liberals?
View Quote

Sorry, I should have said "may be doxxed." Happy? I feel that way because they would love to shut down all forms of "unregulated" conservative speech. Just watch the news or open up Gab. It's disgusting what's going on right now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

If we get to that level, it will be completely irrelevant whether you are in the FCC’s database or not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks, that's what I figured. To my knowledge no civi radio communications can LEGALLY be encrypted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are two different things.  MURS to the best of my understanding can't use encryption.  Businesses using licensed frequencies may use encryption.

Civilian,  yes
Hobbiest, no
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I still haven't heard how the government is going to take control of the repeater at Joe's house.
View Quote

If Joe or anyone using his repeater transmits "hate speech" Joe gets shut down. It won't matter if they physically come take his equipment, he's a rule follower and he will comply. If not, they come take his shit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So you think that every ham is going to get doxxed by liberals?

Careful who you call mouth breathers. You’re projecting.
View Quote

No actually, I was non-specific. You seem to be pretty pointed, however.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There are HAM nerds out there that can figure out where you're broadcasting from and sic the FCC on you if you're unlicensed.
View Quote

doesn't this really just apply if you're doing it from your home?  if you're mobile then what's the concern?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No.  The first two points are called living in reality.

You are worried about being on a list while failing to appreciate you're already on the list.  And expecting to just jump right into HF when folks that do it regularly are always tweaking their stuff and techniques to to get better is as laughable as buying a shotgun and box of shells to bury and figure out how to use when the balloon goes up.

Long story short, you're making the 1% of this site that's sane look bad.  
View Quote

You can't see that you are using logical fallacies as arguments.

You're assuming there are lists to begin with. You're assuming I'm on said lists. All the while, you fail to recognize that a person can be okay with being on list A while not wanting to be on list B (because list A is private and list B is public for instance). They are two different things.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@JoeJeeps

I’m picking up what you are laying down, had the same thoughts.  Learn it, but stay out of the system.

The people saying “you need to learn and practice” are correct.  To practice, you need to be licensed, yet, is contrary to staying out of the system.

The same people preaching about being the” Grey man” get all wound up about being a legit license holder.

I see both sides of the argument, but there are some with panties so tight they do not understand your point.
View Quote

They are just using the logical fallacy of whataboutism while failing to realize one list is private and the other is public. They are very different lists and a person can be okay being on one and not want to be on the other.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#43]

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/guides/inspection-fact-sheet

It reads like a dystopian faq. Sad.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can't see that you are using logical fallacies as arguments.

You're assuming there are lists to begin with. You're assuming I'm on said lists. All the while, you fail to recognize that a person can be okay with being on list A while not wanting to be on list B (because list A is private and list B is public for instance). They are two different things.
View Quote

You can't see past the fact that you are in far left field.  If you are that paranoid you should drop off of electronic communications completely, yet here you are.

And for the record, I've never seen whataboutism used to do anything other than deflect a point that the receiver didn't want to hear.  It hasn't changed today.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I count 16 repeaters (privately owned) within 20 miles of my current location. If the government comes to shut down 16 repeaters, there a good chance they’ve already gotten the guns.

Ham radio does have its place and limitations. I enjoy the hobby and have met many like minded people I otherwise wouldn’t have meet without the connection to ham.
View Quote

Are you a licensee? What if they simply issue a letter that says you can't transmit for a period of time like they did during the world wars? Will you comply? Will your club? It has happened. They don't have to go disconnect your backup power to make this happen.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My local Ham shop requires a valid call sign to buy equipment from them.
View Quote

Well, that's not the law, so why is your shop doing that? I would buy from someone else.

One needs a license "to operate" it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yet everyone that is paranoid about this rule still probably has a wifi router at home.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

For a receive only antenna,  there are a lot of simple element designs that work quite well.    BUT, when you start transmitting, VSWR becomes very important.

And no, not all antennas are anywhere near "simple" !  You'd be amazed at the amount of computer modeling required to optimize a "simple" looking design
View Quote

I won't be transmitting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You are worried about edge cases of the ham community being targeted, but then don't care about the fact that your activation email from here was sent in clear text through ISPs and email servers.  There's a good chance you used the same email address at a dozen other sites that know who you really are.
View Quote

I'm pretty good with my online security. Half the people here are calling me paranoid and the other half assume I haven't thought of using a throw away email address.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  You read me saying "Businesses using licensed frequencies may use encryption" and still to your knowledge believe that no civilian radio communications can be legally encrypted?

At this point all of the issues seem to be on your end.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top