Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2021 12:29:30 AM EDT
I have resold Baofeng UV-5R radios for years.  I have sold thousands of them over the last 3-4 years.  I buy them in bulk lots off ebay and Amazon because the cost is roughly the same as I was quoted by the manufacturer/importer for buying direct (at least the quantities I wanted).  Last week someone posted a sale on them at Amazon where the single unit price was roughly what I typically paid per unit for bulk lots.  That reminded me I should grab some more so I bought a lot of 20 for the same price they've been for years.  I only bought a single lot of 20 but submitted a request for a price on 10 lots of 20 which is a typical quantity I would buy.  The request came back immediately with the same price per lot for 10 lots as a single lot so I waited.

I go to buy more today and almost everything is gone. Sellers I've bought from before don't have them listed, the items on Amazon are there but not available, and the few on eBay are 50% more than I typically pay.  Even when there was a huge scare a year or so ago about the FCC cracking down on imports, the pricing and availability was unchanged.  Now overnight and with no news they've either disappeared or the price has increased dramatically.  Is there some news I've missed?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
There has been a ham panic since all the censorship started.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Supply/demand. See also 'primers'.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you read the news today?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#4]
It's morons who have no idea what it is and what to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Then I'll say this, this is far more dramatic than the FCC scare a while back as I mentioned.  With it there were multiple threads about that on this forum and every other similar forum.  There were blog posts and videos.  All saying go buy a UV-5R before they are banned.  And it did *nothing* to the availability or pricing of the radios.  This did it overnight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got 4 I picked up a few weeks ago.

We had some friends over last night and they said they've been been looking into getting some with everything that's going on.

Pretty much the same story as ammo, guns, n95 masks, toilet paper, whatever. I'm assuming lots "prepper" types have had comms in the back of their minds, but the past couple of weeks were a wake up call.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There has been a ham panic since all the censorship started.
View Quote

Don’t fox hunt me bro.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
With all the threads lately on the subject, you’re just now asking?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Hello, yes, welcome to 2021 where everything’s fucked and we’re still just getting started.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:40:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pretty much the same story as ammo, guns, n95 masks, toilet paper, whatever. I'm assuming lots "prepper" types have had comms in the back of their minds, but the past couple of weeks were a wake up call.
View Quote

For a frame of reference, I own a survival and gun store.  I am not new to this. I've been through the Obama panics, elections, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas, etc.  These radios disappeared faster than a PMAG and stripped lower after Sandy Hook.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
What was the current price per radio?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

About $20
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For a frame of reference, I own a survival and gun store.  I've been through the Obama panics, elections, Sandy Hook, etc.  These radios disappeared faster than a PMAG and stripped lower after Sandy Hook.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a frame of reference, I own a survival and gun store.  I've been through the Obama panics, elections, Sandy Hook, etc.  These radios disappeared faster than a PMAG and stripped lower after Sandy Hook.

So bizarre, do they realize what they do, that they are relatively line of sight devices?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I got one a week or so ago for 20ish bucks. It kinda sucks to program. I like my ft3d a lot more.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

About $20
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About $20

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I got the BaoFeng BF-F8HP.

I don't know what to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So bizarre, do they realize what they do, that they are relatively line of sight devices?
View Quote

speak for yourself....i'm hitting repeaters in the next county from my living room
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

speak for yourself....i'm hitting repeaters in the next county from my living room
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, it's called RF line of sight which includes some bending and refraction and reflection. It's not a cell phone you call grandma on from 1500 miles away which is what I wonder they think it is.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is still line of sight
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Then I'll say this, this is far more dramatic than the FCC scare a while back as I mentioned.  With it there were multiple threads about that on this forum and every other similar forum.  There were blog posts and videos.  All saying go buy a UV-5R before they are banned.  And it did *nothing* to the availability or pricing of the radios.  This did it overnight.
View Quote

With AWS, Google and Apple doing what they did with parler. With what godaddy did to arf. Twitter purging the presidents account and thousands of conservatives. Folks have been looking at ham radios. Every single prepper, survivalist blog, says by the uv5r. That's why they can't be found. There has been a HUGE uptick in my friends asking me about ham radios. People are genuinely nervous. These are folks who were worried before.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hello, yes, welcome to 2021 where everything’s fucked and we’re still just getting started.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

With AWS, Google and Apple doing what they did with parler. With what godaddy did to arf. Twitter purging the presidents account and thousands of conservatives. Folks have been looking at ham radios. Every single prepper, survivalist blog, says by the uv5r. That's why they can't be found. There has been a HUGE uptick in my friends asking me about ham radios. People are genuinely nervous. These are folks who were worried before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are in for a rude awakening if they hold normal online type conversations over radio.  The Ham people out there are like the worst facebook censor times a billion.  Think FUD crossed with 80 year old cranky man + Karenzilla.

Some of these guys treat the whole god damn radio spectrum like their personal moderated forum.  Scanning channels to find someone to listen to. Then butt in if they don't like the conversations.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Nah I don't see any reason why people are buying emergency preps en masse.

Totally boggles the mind since nothing eventful has happened in the past year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#24]
For a guy selling radios, it seems like you were out of touch.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They are in for a rude awakening if they hold normal online type conversations over radio.  The Ham people out there are like the worst facebook censor times a billion.  Think FUD crossed with 80 year old cranky man + Karenzilla.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, depends where you are. There are 2A nets around here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#26]
> owns survival and gun store

Wait until you see ammo prices!

Seems maybe you’re a bit out of touch with your survival market? No big deal, but the comms panic has been obvious if you hang out ... well ... anywhere like arfcoom? There was definitely a rush this past week, but the build up over the past year should have been obvious.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw prices basically double within the past week. I bought a couple more UV-5RTP radios off Ebay this month as hand outs. I have weather channels, repeaters within 100 miles, frs, gmrs, and murs programmed. I can also scan a few local fire/law channels that are simplex or simulcast on VHF. Seems like a lot of people are tossing them in a drawer and have no idea why they bought them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yea, it's called RF line of sight which includes some bending and refraction and reflection. It's not a cell phone you call grandma on from 1500 miles away which is what I wonder they think it is.
View Quote

It's definitely not a cell phone, but I've listened to people from Manitoba, Washington state, and Florida this week. It's all about the repeaters with these things. I also have a SW receiver. I don't really have anything to say so just being able to listen in was my goal.

ETA: I'm receiving from over 50 miles away with a Baofeng and whip antenna. It helps that Pikes peak is just about 60 miles from my house.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's definitely not a cell phone, but I've listened to people from Manitoba, Washington state, and Florida this week. It's all about the repeaters with these things. I also have a SW receiver. I don't really have anything to say so just being able to listen in was my goal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure, but you seem to know a bit. Just saying that some people seem to think it works like a phone without infrastructure. I just hate to see them get them and realize they are going to be able to comm to the other guy direct about 1 mile max in urban terrain.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nah I don't see any reason why people are buying emergency preps en masse.

Totally boggles the mind since nothing eventful has happened in the past year.
View Quote

Hehe yep....threads like this are goofy,  some folks must be living under a rock
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Preparation for the Catalina Wine Mixer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's morons who have no idea what it is and what to do with it.
View Quote

If it brings a small percentage of them into the hobby then I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
> owns survival and gun store

Wait until you see ammo prices!

Seems maybe you’re a bit out of touch with your survival market? No big deal, but the comms panic has been obvious if you hang out ... well ... anywhere like arfcoom? There was definitely a rush this past week, but the build up over the past year should have been obvious.
View Quote

Actually, the cost of ammo hasn't changed much at all.  ;-)  Again, I am aware there has been a dramatic increase in sales of comms, ammo, body armor, etc over the last year because I've been the one selling it.  A bunch of it.  So that's the frame of reference I'm coming from when I say these radios disappeared unlike anything I've ever seen.  And I still remember hitting F5 on distributor's websites the night Obama got elected and watching tens of thousands of pmags disappear from inventory with every refresh.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

For a frame of reference, I own a survival and gun store.  I am not new to this. I've been through the Obama panics, elections, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas, etc.  These radios disappeared faster than a PMAG and stripped lower after Sandy Hook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People who don't know any better seem to think it'll be a replacement for the internet.

One of the baofeng threads were commenting on the UV-5R being out of stock. I mentioned the UV-82 model and it immediately went out of stock too. People are crazy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got one a week or so ago for 20ish bucks. It kinda sucks to program. I like my ft3d a lot more.
View Quote

Easy with Chirp
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:12:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Commies ruin everything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:15:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I mean it's like some people just rolled out of bed or something.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:20:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:26:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Spot on.

During CW2 those guys will be hunted before anyone else.
View Quote

Hundreds of thousands of new Qtards broadcasting “FISA(fox hunting) works both ways!”, over their baofengs might have those boomlets shitting their depends. but I get what you’re saying.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

People are taking things seriously this time and prepping for shit to turn ugly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Are you prepping your inventory for sale with this thread OP?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got the BaoFeng BF-F8HP.

I don't know what to do with it.
View Quote

Get the CHIRP software and a programming cable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Actually, the cost of ammo hasn't changed much at all.  ;-)  Again, I am aware there has been a dramatic increase in sales of comms, ammo, body armor, etc over the last year because I've been the one selling it.  A bunch of it.  So that's the frame of reference I'm coming from when I say these radios disappeared unlike anything I've ever seen.  And I still remember hitting F5 on distributor's websites the night Obama got elected and watching tens of thousands of pmags disappear from inventory with every refresh.
View Quote

Fair enough. It is pretty wild. I spent Sunday night tabbing through 20+ Amazon prime delivery filtered pages of all kinds of individual baofengs/multi packs/custom packs. Watched them all fall off availability priced low to high. Sometimes you could see the panic and anxiety in real-time(6 left FOMO). Did still see ~$200 10 packs Monday, but now poof.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:44:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I noticed that tonight while looking for an external mount antenna for my truck and lapel mikes and thought it was crazy.  They should work for what I may need them for, just wish I'd grabbed another two while I was at it as handouts to two of my neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

People who don't know any better seem to think it'll be a replacement for the internet.

One of the baofeng threads were commenting on the UV-5R being out of stock. I mentioned the UV-82 model and it immediately went out of stock too. People are crazy.
View Quote

Thanks for that mention.  I was able to get a UV-82L on eBay that night??
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#47]
For such a big seller you aren't keeping up with market driving forces.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#48]
They needed them so the could coordinate all the pee stops for all the busses headed to dc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I have several of them that we use while four wheeling, but I don't understand everyone buying these in case the net goes down.

They're really easy to track and not at all secure.

If this is how we communicate, we're fucked
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Since I already have mine, let me just say that the Radioddity website has some good products in the under $100 range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top