Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For a frame of reference, I own a survival and gun store.  I am not new to this. I've been through the Obama panics, elections, Sandy Hook, Las Vegas, etc.  These radios disappeared faster than a PMAG and stripped lower after Sandy Hook.
View Quote

It's because they actually started doing it, instead of just getting people panicked up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:11:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Then I'll say this, this is far more dramatic than the FCC scare a while back as I mentioned.  With it there were multiple threads about that on this forum and every other similar forum.  There were blog posts and videos.  All saying go buy a UV-5R before they are banned.  And it did *nothing* to the availability or pricing of the radios.  This did it overnight.
View Quote

If you were following the 3 gorges dam thread, you would have know that massive flooding not seen for centuries has really fucked up production in china, and it is starting to show up here. They cannot puke out goods like they were. They had the majority of their crops flooded out as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I noticed that tonight while looking for an external mount antenna for my truck and lapel mikes and thought it was crazy.  They should work for what I may need them for, just wish I'd grabbed another two while I was at it as handouts to two of my neighbors.
View Quote

I need a marine radio for my boat, what would be the best choice under $300 right now?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have several of them that we use while four wheeling, but I don't understand everyone buying these in case the net goes down.

They're really easy to track and not at all secure.

If this is how we communicate, we're fucked
View Quote

Use cyphers and codewords. Change the cypher every day and never use it again. Concerned about being tracked keep transmissions short, use a directional antenna pointed toward your buddy, and transmit from a location away from your house.

I'm looking into using APRS, or fabricating a system to use packets and email. Using email you can encrypt the contents so even if it's intercepted, they might get your location and email address, but not the contents of the message.

The baofengs are more useful than you know.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They are in for a rude awakening if they hold normal online type conversations over radio.  The Ham people out there are like the worst facebook censor times a billion.  Think FUD crossed with 80 year old cranky man + Karenzilla.

Some of these guys treat the whole god damn radio spectrum like their personal moderated forum.  Scanning channels to find someone to listen to. Then butt in if they don't like the conversations.
View Quote

Most of the people buying them have zero clue what a repeater is, or how to program the radio to actually use it. They will waste time and energy and never talk to anyone on them ever.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you were following the 3 gorges dam thread, you would have know that massive flooding not seen for centuries has really fucked up production in china, and it is starting to show up here. They cannot puke out goods like they were. They had the majority of their crops flooded out as well.
View Quote

Now that's interesting.  I am still not 100% sold on the idea that it is pure demand driving this as everyone wants to say off the bat.  I didn't want to come out and say it, but I was wondering if the supply side had been intentionally disrupted after the Capitol riots in an attempt to disrupt anything that might happen on the 20th.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So bizarre, do they realize what they do, that they are relatively line of sight devices?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much the same story as ammo, guns, n95 masks, toilet paper, whatever. I'm assuming lots "prepper" types have had comms in the back of their minds, but the past couple of weeks were a wake up call.

For a frame of reference, I own a survival and gun store.  I've been through the Obama panics, elections, Sandy Hook, etc.  These radios disappeared faster than a PMAG and stripped lower after Sandy Hook.

So bizarre, do they realize what they do, that they are relatively line of sight devices?

Shhhhhhh, dont give away the secrets man..
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:25:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Just bought 2 with CHIRP programmed for $26 each
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought three UV5Rs at $19, and two lapel mics about two weeks ago.

The next day the price for the same UV5R had jumped to $25.

I haven't checked if they are higher today. I am looking at getting some better antennas and some antenna extension cables.

I am also training for my Tech license by taking the test a few times a day and reading up on the materials.

Even my 13-year-old daughter is getting into it.

With the repeaters I have in my area, there isn't an inch of this valley I don't have coverage with the stock antennas and only four watts.

I tried to listen to the ISS last night but they weren't transmitting. I did catch the local radio club net meeting last night. There were about a dozen members.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yea, it's called RF line of sight which includes some bending and refraction and reflection. It's not a cell phone you call grandma on from 1500 miles away which is what I wonder they think it is.
View Quote

This and just because you can hear them, doesn’t mean they can hear you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:33:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Ham Radio Outlet is totally sold out of handheld's other than a few high end Yeasu's. I was lucky to get an FT-60R last week after Ben's thread. Crazy!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Most of the people buying them have zero clue what a repeater is, or how to program the radio to actually use it. They will waste time and energy and never talk to anyone on them ever.
View Quote

I learned how to manually program for Simplex and Repeater operations in about 30 minutes watching youtube videos. To make sure I don't forget I wrote down the step by step procedures in a smart book I am making that includes every frequency used in my county by the various services, NOAA, FRS/GMRS/MURS and every repeater in the entire state broken up by county. I'm going to add the next state over as well. Even the ISS has a UHF repeater that you can theoretically use when its overhead and the coverage on that thing has to be insane. Not to mention Echolink repeaters which covers a large portion of the country, but those are internet dependant I believe.

I have the data cable and chirp but it's essential to know how to use your radio without assistive crutches like CHIRP.

It's not as hard as everyone says. You don't have to program all 128 channels for the radio to work. We have two VHF and two UHF repeaters for general use and half a dozen for emergency use. Hell, in an emergency, I even have the info to use the School District's (Bus channel) repeater and I KNOW that covers the entire county. We only have one district and some kids are bussed in from 30 miles away.

I have a robust solar setup for keeping the radios and devices charged up. I can also keep my car batteries topped off and run my laptop off those with an inverter if I need to.

It's on them to learn how to use their equipment. When the S hits the F, I'll be more than happy to program their equipment for them in exchange for 20 rounds of 5.56, six cans of food, or a roll of shit tickets. Per radio.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought three UV5Rs at $19, and two lapel mics about two weeks ago.

The next day the price for the same UV5R had jumped to $25.

I haven't checked if they are higher today. I am looking at getting some better antennas and some antenna extension cables.

I am also training for my Tech license by taking the test a few times a day and reading up on the materials.

Even my 13-year-old daughter is getting into it.

With the repeaters I have in my area, there isn't an inch of this valley I don't have coverage with the stock antennas and only four watts.

I tried to listen to the ISS last night but they weren't transmitting. I did catch the local radio club net meeting last night. There were about a dozen members.
View Quote

Get the ISS detector app.  There are limited windows where it is overhead.  Even if they aren't transmitting phone, you can usually pick up their packet digipeater.  Look up how to program for doppler shift.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

People are taking things seriously this time and prepping for shit to turn ugly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I'll say this, this is far more dramatic than the FCC scare a while back as I mentioned.  With it there were multiple threads about that on this forum and every other similar forum.  There were blog posts and videos.  All saying go buy a UV-5R before they are banned.  And it did *nothing* to the availability or pricing of the radios.  This did it overnight.

People are taking things seriously this time and prepping for shit to turn ugly.

All I can say is I'm glad I was early and started panic buying last January when "that coronavirus in Wuhan" looked like it had the potential to turn the Division's plot into real life. Some of the custom shit I ordered didn't finally show up till November and December.

I'd hate to be just starting to panic now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's morons who have no idea what it is and what to do with it.
View Quote

Guilty.  I'd still rather have it than not.  I know how to select a channel and push to talk.  That makes it at least as valuable as a standard blister pack radio for pretty much the same price.  I can learn the rest eventually.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:02:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Guilty.  I'd still rather have it than not.  I know how to select a channel and push to talk.  That makes it at least as valuable as a standard blister pack radio for pretty much the same price.  I can learn the rest eventually.
View Quote

Youtube channel HAM RADIO CRASH COURSE has a great intro course for the UV5R. He also has tons of other advanced stuff, but he does love his boafengs.

If nothing else, download the videos tonight so you have them when shit goes tango uniform.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There has been a ham panic since all the censorship started.
View Quote

Ham panic sounds like a lost bet in a bar at closing time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Op is apparently smart enough to buy thousands of things on Amazon and still make money flipping them.

But. Apparently stupid even to not read the news from the place he comes to bitch about this too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:23:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Start buying F8HPs then. 8w > 5w
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Demand and neckbearding.  Thats what happened.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

When shtf, there may be clusters of the clueless that actually manage to make contact on the test freqs left in the radio from the factory.  That will be more the FAA or FCC's problem than one for ham, gmrs, murs, or frs operators.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#22]
LOL. Me too. I watched a YouTube video on how to program a channel. I programmed what I thought was a local channel. I got nothing I tried three or four more still got nothing. Turned it off put it in the closet.

Quoted:
I got the BaoFeng BF-F8HP.

I don't know what to do with it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's morons who have no idea what it is and what to do with it.
View Quote

I’m that moron. I have a few, I and have no clue what to do with them. I also bought them years ago. I did install some channels from the internet on them. Like I said, I’m that moron.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's not a cell phone you call grandma on from 1500 miles away which is what I wonder they think it is.
View Quote

They work that way on TV.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to buy a couple of them but decided against it.
I'll have to dig my old RS Pro 95 out of a box and program some freqs into it so I can listen in to the chaos.

Who would I want to talk to with it anyways ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Still have my good old reliable VX-7R including a 3-AA cell backup pack allowing it run off of commercial batteries in an emergency, albeit at lower power.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Better than nothing.  Mine are programmed so I can listen in on local repeaters.  I'm only interested in listening.  I also have the public frequencies programmed in so when we have a hurricane or some other catastrophic event I can hand them out to my neighborhood so we can still have comms while everything else is out.  I think they work well for my needs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They are in for a rude awakening if they hold normal online type conversations over radio.  The Ham people out there are like the worst facebook censor times a billion.  Think FUD crossed with 80 year old cranky man + Karenzilla.

Some of these guys treat the whole god damn radio spectrum like their personal moderated forum.  Scanning channels to find someone to listen to. Then butt in if they don't like the conversations.
View Quote

Ham radio fudd is the Ur-Karen
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got one a week or so ago for 20ish bucks. It kinda sucks to program. I like my ft3d a lot more.
View Quote

Get a cable and use Chirp.  Manually programing them is terrible.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought 4 last weeks and spent the last few days learning all about it.

Sorry
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I found a Realistic Handi Talkie CB radio at a garage sale about 5 years ago. Runs on AA batteries and still works. The manual says it’s from 1980. So, when all those Baofengs crap out and we all go Dukes Of Hazzard with the CBs, I’m all set.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I lol'd.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hundreds of thousands of new Qtards broadcasting “FISA(fox hunting) works both ways!”, over their baofengs might have those boomlets shitting their depends. but I get what you’re saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on.

During CW2 those guys will be hunted before anyone else.

Hundreds of thousands of new Qtards broadcasting “FISA(fox hunting) works both ways!”, over their baofengs might have those boomlets shitting their depends. but I get what you’re saying.

“We found his radio shack.  Fire for effect!”
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#34]
are the new UV-5r radios different from the ones from a few years ago?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

JFC! You, good sir, owe me a $1 cup of McDonald’s coffee and a new keyboard. Thanks, bro.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got one a week or so ago for 20ish bucks. It kinda sucks to program. I like my ft3d a lot more.
View Quote

Chirp is your friend.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

What was the hemorrhoid sitrep?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are two factors at play:

1) there is a history of folks running out and buying a transceiver and getting on the air not knowing (or perhaps caring) that there is a license required. Years ago the low-end of 10M was awash in taxi and other services using cheap imported "CB" radios that happened to have extended range. Also there have been a lot of incursions into the 2M with cheap handhelds as well. Many think they are just another form of FRS radio.

2) Hams themselves are responsible for the behavior on the bands with the FCC (when it cares to) being the enforcement.  Back in the 80's and 90's, amateur bands became a joke to listen too. The low end of 75M used to have guys broadcasting music in AM. I did not mind listening to some of it as the audio was good but was clearly illegal and nobody cared. 14303 on 20M was cringeworthy to listen to. FCC did not seem to care. Finally Riley Hollingsworth at the FCC stepped into the fray and started taking serious action to cleanup the mess. Unfortunately he retired and things began to slacken.

The problem with repeaters is the repeater owner is responsible for bad activity. If it is being used for illegal activity, the onus is on the repeater owner to get control of it or lose their operating authority. Sadly this does create a lot of "Karen's". Crazy thing is I have not been on the air in years. Got my DXCC almost 20 years ago and was active until about 5 years ago when my antenna came down with a huge tree. Band activity was so poor due to sunspots I just never got back on. Add to that, many repeaters I used switched to digital and I do not have a digital transceiver.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Years ago, there were reports of over the road truckers using 2 meters illegally. No license, lots of power, the usual CB type activities.

I haven't been on VHF much lately, so I don't know if that's still the case.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Supply/demand. See also 'primers'.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The BoomerFuddKaren hams won’t care if you stay off their freqs. If you use MURS and GMRS freqs, they won’t notice or care, even though your Baofeng isn’t really supposed to be used on those.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chirp makes it EASY.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got the BaoFeng BF-F8HP.

I don't know what to do with it.
View Quote

I use mine for motivation to research more user friendly radios.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#44]
$600 checks and no guns/ammo to buy. Move on to the next panic item.

I'm neck bearding blow up dolls now for the coming lockdowns. Gonna be rich!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were only two crusty old-timers. The rest were younger people, and there was even a lady!

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The BoomerFuddKaren hams won’t care if you stay off their freqs. If you use MURS and GMRS freqs, they won’t notice or care, even though your Baofeng isn’t really supposed to be used on those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to operate illegally, operate illegally in the places where it won't draw any attention (like MURS/GMRS/FRS). Don't poke the bear by bootlegging in the amateur bands, or marine. Don't screw with any existing business users or GMRS repeaters.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm too lazy to google, but my old yaesu HT auto detects repeaters; do baofengs need programmed for local repeaters?

Speed
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm too lazy to google, but my old yaesu HT auto detects repeaters; do baofengs need programmed for local repeaters?

Speed
View Quote

Your Yaesu HT is set up for strictly amateur band use that has channelized repeaters using a standardized pattern.

Baofengs are asian land mobile radios and as such require programming for everything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I would like two or three radios for use on my family's ranch. The longest distance we would have to be able to talk is maybe a couple miles. I really don't want to program the things, I just want to turn them on like walkie-talkies and be able to sent a quick message. Don't want to spend a lot either.

What brand, model, and source should I look at?

Thanks in advance!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top