Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm currently studying for my General, and was looking at this unit to 'ease' me into the HAM world.  Plus it seems to be the only unit within my budget at the moment for both a base/mobile unit. I have read and watched several very positive reviews for a beginner unit. A local guy who comes in my store also recommended it.

FT-2980R FT-2980 Original Yaesu 144 MHz Single Band Mobile Transceiver 80 Watts

Any opinions would be welcome.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Digital scanner

Uniden BCD536HP HomePatrol Digital Scanner
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
So you're telling my my two Boefeng's are useless now.  I read a thread not long ago that said I have to have some so I bought two! (OK, it was mostly because my jeeper friends are moving to them)

Will this HF talk to my Boefang's? If not, how on earth is any of this useful if one group is using one and another group using another.  I've found that the people really into this are smart they are incapable of dumbing any of it down.  Case in point there is an entire first page of people begging to simply be told what specifically to buy and finally a couple examples are given on page 2
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I would highly recommend the Yaesu FT-891 for a less expensive mobile/man portable radio.  ~$650.  This is a 100W HF only radio.

For a radio that stays on a desk at home the iCom 7300 is hard to beat.  It is small enough to take out of the house but a bit large for mobile or man portable.  ~$1,100.  This is a 100W HF only radio.

Keep in mind that both radios are DC powered, so you will need a power supply to run them from 110V AC or a proper 12V battery setup (actual ideal voltage is 13.8V).  This can be anywhere from $100 - $1,500.  Look at Bioenno for man portable.  PowerFilm for solar.

If running portable and/or solar you'll need a solar charge controller and power meter/power management.  The Buddipole PowerMini is fantastic.  $150.

For the FT-891 you may also need an external antenna tuner which will run $150 - $300 depending on what type of antenna you are running.

Then there is the antenna.  Really too much to go over here but plan to spend another $150 - $500.

Feedline cable, $50.

An antenna analyzer is not 100% necessary but very nice to have, I like the Rig Expert Stick, $300.

You will also need various odds and ends, another $200 at least.

HF is too much to just quickly explain and dive into but this should get you started.  And the rabbit hole goes MUCH DEEPER than what I just mentioned.  Give or take around $2,000 will have you a very capable very nice HF setup.  It can be done for less and it can be done for much much more.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got a cheapie UHF.VHF on amazon....good lord, $600+ entry fee? Another expensive hobby...
View Quote

$600?????

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Licensed since 1984 General class here.
Everyone needs to be licensed soon.
View Quote

And with all due respect.  Us Neanderthal non radio people cannot wrap our heads around asking a government that is actively working against us for a license to use something
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]
HF high frequency radio can be used to communicate long distances by using the earths atmosphere to reflect signals back to earth, where they may reflect off the earths surface to repeat the process. Certain frequencies reflect better than others under certain conditions. VHF/UHF usually just punches thru the atmosphere and dissipates in space so is limited to line of sight distances.  

HF generally requires large antennas.   A long wire can work and the higher above ground level the better. Ideally 70'+ AGL but 20-35' can work, just not as good.
My wire antenna is 130' long and slopes from 20-35' AGL. It works just OK for 10-80 meter bands for regional coms. https://myantennas.com/wp/product/efhw-8010/#comment-130325
There are alternatives like vertical antennas and beams but it gets a bit more complicated and expensive.

For just receiving you can get an SDR dongle for your PC, AMAZON LINK

OR a hand held unit like the COUNTY COMM

Both of these units will perform much better with the above antenna suggestions. The antenna is the most important part of the system.

To transmit on HF legally would require a General class license at minimum. There are a few frequencies you can use with a Technicians license but its very limited.

I cant comment on mobile setups, but for the home base station my set up is an Icom 7300, Samlex 1235m power supply, Elecraft Kpa500 amp and LMR400 type coax to the antenna. For antennas Im running the above mentioned wire and a Stepir 6-40m Urbanbeam.

Ive been playing radio for a few years and learning, updating, upgrading something every year and just getting satisfied with the setup. It is a hobby that takes time to learn how to use and setup the equipment.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I only have a Tech; and right now, only my HT is hooked up.

Is their a 'cheap' HF radio?

I didn't get into it for cost reasons before, and while I have more disposable income, I also have a MrsASUsax that will object to me putting a giant antenna in the yard...
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ironically I was looking at Unidens yesterday, those are expensive.
View Quote

shit bro at your price point you should be looking at the Yaesu FT-DX101D to go with your fancy office chair

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-dx101d-hf-50mhz-sdr-transceiver.html
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So you're telling my my two Boefeng's are useless now.  I read a thread not long ago that said I have to have some so I bought two! (OK, it was mostly because my jeeper friends are moving to them)

Will this HF talk to my Boefang's? If not, how on earth is any of this useful if one group is using one and another group using another.  I've found that the people really into this are smart they are incapable of dumbing any of it down.  Case in point there is an entire first page of people begging to simply be told what specifically to buy and finally a couple examples are given on page 2
View Quote

Your Boefangs are very useful for line of site (not over the horizon) tactical communication, like police use.  They can't talk to or listen to HF radios. HF is used more for longer range communication because the frequency they operate on can travel over the horizon and even around the world.  Having both just gives you access to much more information and ability to communicate.  HF doesn't lend itself well to hand held operation due to the long antennas required among other things.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't think this is a thread about the "radio hobby."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HF is a ton of fun. I've had my General ticket a few years now and have made contacts all over. Have worked around 30 States and many countries, Canada, maybe a dozen in Europe, but also a couple in South America.

I got my first rig at a local club auction. Fortunately, in my area 2m is pretty active with several repeaters and clubs. Always someone to talk to and learn from. Learned alot using that rig, and eventually upgraded to a more modern unit acquired through eBay. It was manufactured in the early 2003, so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles a modern rig would have, but works great for me and requires no computer support to work.

Couple of things to note based on my experience getting started:

Your HF radio is only one part of the equation.  Your antenna is equally as important to get the most out of your radio. In most cases a simple length of wire or a dipole antenna will work great. In my case, I use a vertical antenna with a large radial/ground plane field. I also have a multi band dipole for field operations and a portable mast to elevate it.

You may also need a tuner to match your antenna and radio. This will prevent you from burning up your transmitter, but may not necessarily make your signal better. Most modern rigs will have a built in tuner, but it doesn't replace having a well matched antenna to the particular frequency you're operating on.

Don't forget coax. The cable connection from your radio to the antenna could be the most important part of your system.

You'll also need a good power supply. To my knowledge there are very few HF radios that plug into the wall. Most will need DC current to operate. Make sure you get one that has enough amps to operate your radio at full power and makes "clean", DC power. Not all power supplies are created equal, some will introduce noise into your system and make it harder to operate efficiently. Large car type batteries or deep cycle marine batteries work as well, but operating your HF radio at full power will drain one pretty quick. Solar or plug in charging methods are a necessity when operating for any length of time in this mode.

Lastly is you. There is a bit of a learning curve regarding successful HF communications. The Technician ticket is a great place to start, getting you familiar with the terminology, equipment and operation of your radios. VHF/UHF is alot of fun. You can meet and learn from some great people, and yes, sometimes there are the stereotypical old men on there.

All in with my mobile rigs, base stations and field station, I'm probably between $2500 and $3000. Keep in mind though, that you can get into the UHF/VHF game for less than $400 all in and be on the air with a real good, somewhat bullet proof setup. HF is somewhat more expensive, but with some patience, you could probably get into it for between $1000-$1500.

Lastly, if you just want to listen, check broadcastify.com for police/fire/ems frequencies in your area and get a scanner that covers those frequencies. Just about all scanners will also cover the ham bands. May be a good way to get your feet wet and see if the radio hobby is for you.

Happy to answer any questions with my limited knowledge. The ham radio forum here is filled with some real smart and helpful people.

KC1***

Fair enough. I am just trying say, its not as easy as getting a radio and getting on the air. There are several other components that are necessary for success, including education and practice.

I would recommend to anyone, purchase the best equipment you can afford. If you know someone who is into radio, ask for their help in learning how to set it up and use it. From the tone of the thread, time is not on our side.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Welp, you (technically ham radio outlet) got me for $639 before tax .  Ive been putting off getting an HF radio but I just ordered the FT-891 to compliment my FTM-400XDR and FT2DR.

Thanks for the nudge.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely this.  This isn't the thread for $2500-3000 entry fees and serious time investments to do HAM "for fun."  People are linking to threads about getting licensing; are you kidding me?  The entire purpose of this thread is for setting up backup communications for when the Internet becomes too censored to actually transmit and receive any information.  Under those foundational assumptions, HAM licenses will be irrelevant and revoked without recourse anyway, and all of our transmissions will be illegal.  If they weren't, we wouldn't need any of this.  We're seeing "digital Kristallnacht" unfold before our eyes tonight, and this is the thread to figure out what we actually need to do to avoid being completely in the dark under tyranny and [at least fourth generation] civil war.

I don't know about everyone else, but my brain is not working properly for geeking out learning something complicated at the moment.  I can't even concentrate on my own work, which is something I'm supposed to already be competent at.  I don't have time to learn a new hobby or anything beyond the absolute basics that I need to know today before making a purchase, and I don't have money to buy something extravagent unless I truly need to prioritize it as a necessity.  You can call this laziness, but at this point it's triage.

What do people actually need?  We have someone here talking about 70 foot antennas for transmitting properly, and 25 foot antennas to just get by.  Seriously?  Can we get by with some particular type of wire (what type) running up a tall tree (and ending in what, for transmission?), or are we supposed to erect a giant pole outside our house?  That's an absurd entry barrier for most, in which case it's far more practical to only receive continentally and transmit locally with a group (e.g. American Pioneer Corps) who actually have the capacity to transmit continentally.  Now, maybe I'm wrong here, and there's a really good reason why everyone needs to invest their life savings into putting the Eiffel Tower in their back yard.  If that's actually necessary then fine, and let's all get on the same page...otherwise, let's reel the scope creep in a little!

Transceivers:
Yaesu FT-818ND FT-818 6W HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Mobile Transceiver, $619, posted by ben: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2CRSZ8?tag=arfcom00-20
ICOM IC-7300, ~$1200, no link; Amazon has multiple results, bundles, etc.
ICOM 718, no link
Yaesu FT-857D, no link; Amazon's results come up with other models like the FT-891 FT891 ($700) and ben's recommendation

In practical terms, what's the reason to get a $1200 one instead of a $619 one?  ben mentioned he'd be giving a higher powered recommendation shortly.  Are the price tiers about wattage and transmission range?  People are also talking about "scanners" too, which makes it sound like they're different from transceivers.  What accessories do we actually need, and why, and is there a package where we can just "buy and forget, until we actually have time and cognitive capacity to learn this stuff?"

Receivers:
Eton Elite, $400: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BVSCY8G?tag=arfcom00-20
Eton Grundig Satellit 750 Ultimate, $1050: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014T7W8Y?tag=arfcom00-20

In practical terms, what does the Eton Elite receiver get me over just having a transceiver?  What does the absurdly expensive version gain over the reasonably priced version?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fair enough. I am just trying say, its not as easy as getting a radio and getting on the air. There are several other components that are necessary for success, including education and practice.

I would recommend to anyone, purchase the best equipment you can afford. If you know someone who is into radio, ask for their help in learning how to set it up and use it. From the tone of the thread, time is not on our side.
View Quote

Your post is helpful and you should continue to add to the discussion. Every bit of information about equipment is needed by some of us.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Well fuck it I just spent $750 bucks on a FT-891.   I have zero knowledge to use it in any way but it sounds like a good time to learn.
Any of you in the far north part of SC that is experienced with this unit?  I will be looking into local resources but a fellow arfcomer would be cool.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
What radio would I want in the event of a power grid failure scenario? Say there's no power for weeks (like after a hurricane for instance) able to broadcast 5 or so miles?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HF is a ton of fun. I've had my General ticket a few years now and have made contacts all over. Have worked around 30 States and many countries, Canada, maybe a dozen in Europe, but also a couple in South America.

I got my first rig at a local club auction. Fortunately, in my area 2m is pretty active with several repeaters and clubs. Always someone to talk to and learn from. Learned alot using that rig, and eventually upgraded to a more modern unit acquired through eBay. It was manufactured in the early 2003, so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles a modern rig would have, but works great for me and requires no computer support to work.

Couple of things to note based on my experience getting started:

Your HF radio is only one part of the equation.  Your antenna is equally as important to get the most out of your radio. In most cases a simple length of wire or a dipole antenna will work great. In my case, I use a vertical antenna with a large radial/ground plane field. I also have a multi band dipole for field operations and a portable mast to elevate it.

You may also need a tuner to match your antenna and radio. This will prevent you from burning up your transmitter, but may not necessarily make your signal better. Most modern rigs will have a built in tuner, but it doesn't replace having a well matched antenna to the particular frequency you're operating on.

Don't forget coax. The cable connection from your radio to the antenna could be the most important part of your system.

You'll also need a good power supply. To my knowledge there are very few HF radios that plug into the wall. Most will need DC current to operate. Make sure you get one that has enough amps to operate your radio at full power and makes "clean", DC power. Not all power supplies are created equal, some will introduce noise into your system and make it harder to operate efficiently. Large car type batteries or deep cycle marine batteries work as well, but operating your HF radio at full power will drain one pretty quick. Solar or plug in charging methods are a necessity when operating for any length of time in this mode.

Lastly is you. There is a bit of a learning curve regarding successful HF communications. The Technician ticket is a great place to start, getting you familiar with the terminology, equipment and operation of your radios. VHF/UHF is alot of fun. You can meet and learn from some great people, and yes, sometimes there are the stereotypical old men on there.

All in with my mobile rigs, base stations and field station, I'm probably between $2500 and $3000. Keep in mind though, that you can get into the UHF/VHF game for less than $400 all in and be on the air with a real good, somewhat bullet proof setup. HF is somewhat more expensive, but with some patience, you could probably get into it for between $1000-$1500.

Lastly, if you just want to listen, check broadcastify.com for police/fire/ems frequencies in your area and get a scanner that covers those frequencies. Just about all scanners will also cover the ham bands. May be a good way to get your feet wet and see if the radio hobby is for you.

Happy to answer any questions with my limited knowledge. The ham radio forum here is filled with some real smart and helpful people.

KC1***

People don't think radio skills be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

$600?????

View Quote

I have a nice UHF/VHF setup I bought new for 600
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Absolutely this.  This isn't the thread for $2500-3000 entry fees and serious time investments to do HAM "for fun."  People are linking to threads about getting licensing; are you kidding me?  The entire purpose of this thread is for setting up backup communications for when the Internet becomes too censored to actually transmit and receive any information.  Under those foundational assumptions, HAM licenses will be irrelevant and revoked without recourse anyway, and all of our transmissions will be illegal.  If they weren't, we wouldn't need any of this.  We're seeing "digital Kristallnacht" unfold before our eyes tonight, and this is the thread to figure out what we actually need to do to avoid being completely in the dark under tyranny and [at least fourth generation] civil war.

I don't know about everyone else, but my brain is not working properly for geeking out learning something complicated at the moment.  I can't even concentrate on my own work, which is something I'm supposed to already be competent at.  I don't have time to learn a new hobby or anything beyond the absolute basics that I need to know today before making a purchase, and I don't have money to buy something extravagent unless I truly need to prioritize it as a necessity.  You can call this laziness, but at this point it's triage.

What do people actually need?  We have someone here talking about 70 foot antennas for transmitting properly, and 25 foot antennas to just get by.  Seriously?  Can we get by with some particular type of wire (what type) running up a tall tree (and ending in what, for transmission?), or are we supposed to erect a giant pole outside our house?  That's an absurd entry barrier for most, in which case it's far more practical to only receive continentally and transmit locally with a group (e.g. American Pioneer Corps) who actually have the capacity to transmit continentally.  Now, maybe I'm wrong here, and there's a really good reason why everyone needs to invest their life savings into putting the Eiffel Tower in their back yard.  If that's actually necessary then fine, and let's all get on the same page...otherwise, let's reel the scope creep in a little!

Transceivers:
Yaesu FT-818ND FT-818 6W HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Mobile Transceiver, $619, posted by ben: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2CRSZ8?tag=arfcom00-20
ICOM 718, no link
Yaesu FT-857D, no link; Amazon's results come up with other models like the FT-891 FT891 ($700) and ben's recommendation

In practical terms, what's the reason to get a $1200 one instead of a $619 one?  ben mentioned he'd be giving a higher powered recommendation shortly.  Are the price tiers about wattage and transmission range?  What accessories do we actually need, and why, and is there a package where we can just "buy and forget, until we actually have time and cognitive capacity to learn this stuff?"

Receivers:
Eton Grundig Satellit 750 Ultimate, $1050: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014T7W8Y?tag=arfcom00-20

In practical terms, what does the Eton Elite receiver get me over just having a transceiver?  What does the absurdly expensive version gain over the reasonably priced version?
View Quote

Thank you for gathering all that together. Hopefully the blanks can be filled in.

Subscribed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

In reality, not everyone is going to do HF radio. It takes more expensive equipment and more skill. In your crew, you want at least a couple guys who can do HF. HF is long distance.

Everyone should have VHF/UHF capability. These comms are regional to short range tactical.

Combine the two and do the math.

Please understand nobody can "dumb down" radio communications into a small forum post that turns you into an expert.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#23]
You don't need a an HF radio to listen. A $100 SSB shortwave will let you listen to nearly anything under 30 Mhz.

Tecsun PL-660

Or for a hand held:
County-Comm GP5
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like my 2 meter Yaesu FT-2900 and Baofengs won’t cut it.
Relevant to me interests.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you for gathering all that together. Hopefully the blanks can be filled in.

Subscribed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transceivers:
ICOM 718, no link

In practical terms, what's the reason to get a $1200 one instead of a $619 one?  ben mentioned he'd be giving a higher powered recommendation shortly.  Are the price tiers about wattage and transmission range?  What accessories do we actually need, and why, and is there a package where we can just "buy and forget, until we actually have time and cognitive capacity to learn this stuff?"

Receivers:

Subscribed.

Ditto. Hellava post.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Okay, on the "receiver only" side, now we're talking.  Can someone describe what the $400 or $1050 receiver can do that the $100 SSB shortwave radio can't?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I have often said that everyone should have at a minimum an transistor AM (AM broadcast band) receiver.
AM broadcast stations typically cover a larger area, and at night the band goes long and stations can be
heard over quite long distances.

High frequency, AKA Shortwave receivers are a step up from AM BCD receivers offering more
bands and typically the ability to listen to stations a longer distance away (foreign broadcast etc.)
The ability to receive Single Side Band (SSB or LSB/USB) will open up more stations you can listen to.

When it comes to HF/SW receiving the antenna if extremely important to the performance.
A short inside antenna will give very poor performance, while piece of wire (50-100 feet)
connected up outside (one end tied up to a tree etc) will vastly improve performance.

Transmitting on HF is on a whole new level for most, and having properly built antennas etc. are a
requirement (most modern radios either will not transmit or can be damaged with a improper antenna).
For the most part I will say don't even waste your time with a radio under 100 watts.
(yes many hams can work the world with a watt or less bit that comes with experience and proper modes)

One radio that is often overlooked is the lowly CB, but for many it is actually a great choice; with a simple antenna
they can have a range of 10-20 miles or more with a good antenna and if the antenna is in a good spot.
(I would say for many these would be better than a baofeng type of radio).

Like anything practice is key, and while many say they are unconcerned with getting a license
it to your advantage to get one since it gives you an opportunity to practice using the radios.
(Trying to figure out how radio works is best done long before you need to actually use it.)

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd like to see 7.187 be our official phone frequency
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#29]

I don't have the budget to do this right or even half-assed. Will the handheld County Com serve the purpose?

My brother lives 40 miles away in city,  I'm rural town. Would uhf/vhf allow us to communicate?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your Boefangs are very useful for line of site (not over the horizon) tactical communication, like police use.  They can't talk to or listen to HF radios. HF is used more for longer range communication because the frequency they operate on can travel over the horizon and even around the world.  Having both just gives you access to much more information and ability to communicate.  HF doesn't lend itself well to hand held operation due to the long antennas required among other things.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

First I'd recommend growing your regular trusted contacts beyond your immediate family. You might try to get involved with a veterans organization in your area if you are eligible, or a chapter of the American Pioneer Corps, or both. I know that requires a lot of effort sometimes, and it can come at the cost of money, sleep, family time, etc- but it is worth it. And will infinitely more so be worth it in an emergency.

Second, even if you have no one to talk to an HF radio will enable you with the opportunity to get news from anywhere in the country, or even the world. No joke.
View Quote

Is APC open to non-mil/vets? Any chapters near MD/PA?

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a good link for “radio’s for dummies”?

I’m a radio dummy.
View Quote

Ham Radio for Dummies

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do whatever your living arrangements and wallet will allow.  For me putting up a mast or laying out a fullwave wire are not options. So a homebrew centerfed dipole strung across my roof may be my best option.  Like Ben was saying, sometimes tossing a wire up into a tree is all it takes. I was in a recon unit and that's all we had to work with at times.

In practical terms, what's the reason to get a $1200 one instead of a $619 one?  ben mentioned he'd be giving a higher powered recommendation shortly.  Are the price tiers about wattage and transmission range?  People are also talking about "scanners" too, which makes it sound like they're different from transceivers.  What accessories do we actually need, and why, and is there a package where we can just "buy and forget, until we actually have time and cognitive capacity to learn this stuff?"

Price is related to power, RX/TX bands, modes, internal antenna tuners and extra advanced features.

A scanner is a receiver, receive only.  That are some receivers that are not really considered a scanner.  A scanner will typically scan through stored frequencies faster than a receiver.  Icoms are more of a receiver vs Unidens being scanners.   https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/what-is-the-difference-between-a-scanner-and-a-receiver.73937/

Yaesu FT-8##, Icom 7100/7300 etc are transceivers, transmit and receive.

Anybody that isn't already a member ought to join Radioreference.  You should probably uses a different username too.  I've been there a long time.

Lots to read here
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/what-is-the-difference-between-a-scanner-and-a-receiver.73937/
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is APC open to non-mil/vets? Any chapters near MD/PA?

View Quote

Yes, anybody who is willing to be part of the APC mission. Yes, the northern VA group includes guys from MD.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't have the budget to do this right or even half-assed. Will the handheld County Com serve the purpose?

My brother lives 40 miles away in city,  I'm rural town. Would uhf/vhf allow us to communicate?
View Quote

Not without some really good tropospheric ducting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#37]
County comm radio is receive only correct?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]
For those looking for getting a ticket, I like the Ham Whisperer stuff, it has worked for a few people I know.  There is a book on Amazon or http://www.hamwhisperer.com/

You won't need a license in case of emergency, but your shiny radio won't be of much use if you are not practiced in it's use.

Someone before mentioned MTC, Main Trading Company.  I have no personal affiliation with the company and actually haven't spent more than a few hundred bucks from them.  HOWEVER.  I had a case get lost in the woods with no contact information in it.  Someone traced the serial back to MTC, MTC looked up my info and tried to contact me.  I was in the woods and out of comms.  They went way, WAY above and beyond to get my stuff back to me, even though only a smart part of it was purchased from them.  They are good people.

HF Transcievers.
https://www.mtcradio.com/hf-transceivers/

Many of the radios out there run on 12V DC and power supplies are expensive.  I have a number of converted server power supplies running stuff around the house and it has been handy.  Cheap too. I think I paid about $20 for each 50 amp power supply.

Tutorial here.  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1292514-How-to-convert-Server-Power-Supplies
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank you. It is good advice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I received two Baofengs the other day.  I have no clue what to do with them.  I am radio illiterate.  Time is short and I need a crash course.

I posted before reading. Hopefully someone has posted some good links here.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I have no budget constraints and want to start with a good handheld...options?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Armor check
Helmet check
Radio check
NV check
Compass check
Paper map of your area check
Wire coat hanger check
View Quote

I thought we were pro life around here?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can access a repeater 40 miles is doable.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#45]

^^^ This is actionable advice.

You want a SSB capable HF receiver. This will let you listen on HF and hear stations nationally.

Both of the above units are GTG.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And with all due respect.  Us Neanderthal non radio people cannot wrap our heads around asking a government that is actively working against us for a license to use something
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Licensed since 1984 General class here.
Everyone needs to be licensed soon.

Agreed.  Licensed?  Are you kidding me?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Anybody have any thoughts on the Yaesu FT897? Theres one local to me I've been considering.

I've got a lot of experience with .mil radios, and more than my fair share of experience building HF longwires from scratch. I have a 30' telescopic mast in my garage too. Need to see if I still have any of my old baluns around, or at least the build sheets...

Still need to get licensed, they canx my testing last year due to Covid, and haven't offered it since.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a budget of about $2-3K for all necessary components including the antenna.

I hate making decisions under these circumstances though.  Hasty buying decisions have usually left me with a fair amount of regret.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anybody have any thoughts on the Yaesu FT897? Theres one local to me I've been considering.

I've got a lot of experience with .mil radios, and more than my fair share of experience building HF longwires from scratch. I have a 30' telescopic mast in my garage too. Need to see if I still have any of my old baluns around, or at least the build sheets...

Still need to get licensed, they canx my testing last year due to Covid, and haven't offered it since.
View Quote

I have one, the form factor is the best feature.  They never had a state of the art receiver but that hardly matters for SHTF use.  Put up a cloud burner and have at it.  

I like the MFJ 16010 tuner and a piece of wire for an 897D antenna.  Works great and it's light/small.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top