Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of thread is this?  OP tells us to buy something.....something or another and leaves us hanging.  We need deets man!  People want their deets.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For someone who can hardly use a flip phone, what does HF stand for. Asking for a friend.
View Quote

Harbor Freight, of course.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Good advice.

I'm setting these up for the family currently. I also have some Bendix King radios I used for wildland fire...those are programmed with the good stuff in my area.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you do not own an HF radio, buy one and learn how to set it up to listen at least. You don't need a license to listen, nor to transmit in an emergency.

I'd really encourage you to do this as soon as possible. There is nothing wrong with owning eighty-seven PSA AR15s. There is something wrong with owning ten of them when you don't own armor or a helmet, or a radio, or night vision, or a proper compass and a paper map of your area.

Things are about to get much worse. Exponentially.

So take the advice, or don't. I'm just some guy on the internet, after all.
View Quote

Care to elaborate on the red text?
@Ben
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For someone who can hardly use a flip phone, what does HF stand for. Asking for a friend.

googled it and my friend is much smarter now.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@southernguy Do you have any recommendations?  Less than $500?
View Quote

That will be a tough one. Most newer models you are looking at 800-1000. I currently own the FT857D which cost $800. Then you have an antenna to contend with.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Serious question from a total noob who hasn't set up a radio:
Does a Baofeng count?
View Quote

Negative.  That covers UHF/VHF (short range) comms

HF can get you round tha world
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@southernguy Do you have any recommendations?  Less than $500?
View Quote

That’s going to be a tough one. HF gear is expensive. As mentioned this is a long range band. I think most posters in this thread are thinking of VHF gear.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is relevant to my interests.

As a child, I had a Radio Shack receiver that let me pick up stuff from all over the world. I had a big ARRL world map on the wall full of push-pins for places I had picked up broadcasts from. Bulgaria, Australia, England, and more. Always wanted to get a HAM license, but have not yet followed through. I do intend to at some point.

I would love something that could pick up the commonly used frequencies, maybe even military stuff, and allow me to transmit on those frequencies that are permissible with a license. I don't anything about any of this, so would appreciate being pointed at specific equipment.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/367483/Screen_Shot_2021-01-08_at_3_56_34_PM-1770360.png
Thanks. Old guys usually have a lower frequency.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you do not own an HF radio, buy one and learn how to set it up to listen at least. You don't need a license to listen, nor to transmit in an emergency.

I'd really encourage you to do this as soon as possible. There is nothing wrong with owning eighty-seven PSA AR15s. There is something wrong with owning ten of them when you don't own armor or a helmet, or a radio, or night vision, or a proper compass and a paper map of your area.

Things are about to get much worse. Exponentially.

So take the advice, or don't. I'm just some guy on the internet, after all.
View Quote

What do you suggest that is inexpensive for the Florida Gulf Coast area?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good post.  

I have my ARRL book here, but never got the license.

I need to Google my local repeaters and set up my Baofengs via CHIRP.  I have no excuse for not doing it yet.
View Quote

I got a radio recently, but haven't got a clue how to do a damn thing on it. I'm not sure what good it will do me even if I do get it programmed. What channels do Conservatives talk on?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No. Baofeng handhelds are VHF/UHF, and poor choices at that. They are great for a disposable radio. They will die in a real rainstorm.

An HF radio can use the same power as a baofeng and reach from Switzerland to England if the atmospheric conditions are right.  Of course, you want more power than that ideally.

They can be used to pass and recieve messages across entire continents.
View Quote

Link to one you'd recommend?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Armor check
Helmet check
Radio check
NV check
Compass check
Paper map of your area check
Wire coat hanger check
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got some baofengs sitting in boxes I haven't the first clue how to operate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
With my current wire antenna I can hear about 3/4 of the lower 48. I'll be on 40 and 80 meters tonight listening. Should be good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Comms are essential. I'd also recommend getting a dedicated receiver to broaden your listening capability outside of HF bands. VHF, UHF, HF, SW, CB, CW, FRS/ GMRS, MARS, Digital, Trunking, etc.
View Quote

Absolutely.  People need to stop with the 'just get a scanner app on your phone' crap.

Buy the most capable scanner/receiver you can afford.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Since we may have little time for exhaustive research, can you post recommendations at a price point with good value?
View Quote

^^ This.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Alinco DX-SR8T All-Mode Desktop Transceivers DX-SR8T
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Good advice op.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
ICOM IC-7300 - ICOM IC-7300 HF Plus 50 MHz Transceivers  

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Serious question from a total noob who hasn't set up a radio:
Does a Baofeng count?
View Quote

It does not.  You need HF.  Not VHF, not UHF.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So somebody show us some examples please.
View Quote

Harris PRC-160 is a solid choice
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent about 3 or 4 hours on youtube the other night looking at everything from hand held short range, medium range mobile and home base stations that will get you around the world. The information is overwhelming at first, but slowly you can start to learn what works best for you. You have to start somewhere. I live on a hill and found repeater about 5 miles away. So I think with a good antenna I could be in business.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]
If they wanted to, could the gov. jam the signals?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#30]
So, what bands are most useful for 300 mile communications.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

First I'd recommend growing your regular trusted contacts beyond your immediate family. You might try to get involved with a veterans organization in your area if you are eligible, or a chapter of the American Pioneer Corps, or both. I know that requires a lot of effort sometimes, and it can come at the cost of money, sleep, family time, etc- but it is worth it. And will infinitely more so be worth it in an emergency.

Second, even if you have no one to talk to an HF radio will enable you with the opportunity to get news from anywhere in the country, or even the world. No joke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've heard for years now that comms are an important component of being prepared. Question: who am I supposed to talk to? I'm just a guy that goes to work and comes home every evening and spends the weekends working in the garage or going for a motorcycle ride. If things get so bad that I need a radio I suppose my wife and kids and I will stay home/together, whichever is appropriate. I don't know anyone that would be able to call in an air strike, or get supplies to whatever my location is, and no one is going to send any reinforcements to help prevent my position from being overrun. So tell a noob what these radios are going to be used for please.

First I'd recommend growing your regular trusted contacts beyond your immediate family. You might try to get involved with a veterans organization in your area if you are eligible, or a chapter of the American Pioneer Corps, or both. I know that requires a lot of effort sometimes, and it can come at the cost of money, sleep, family time, etc- but it is worth it. And will infinitely more so be worth it in an emergency.

Second, even if you have no one to talk to an HF radio will enable you with the opportunity to get news from anywhere in the country, or even the world. No joke.

Thank you. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck

Coming from you that’s serious as cancer
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I really like the Icom IC-7100 for a transceiver. If looking for receivers only, look up Grundig - Satellit series radios are great.  Look for models that will receive SSB transmissions as well as AM, FM.  Don't worry if that doesn't make sense now, just read up on it.  Sony used to offer some good offerings and I think still does.  Search short wave radios.

Satellit 750 or 800 are great receivers.https://www.amazon.com/Eton-Grundig-Satellit-750-Ultimate/dp/B0014T7W8Y

Newer model:

https://www.amazon.com/Eton-Classic-Clear-Sounding-Shortwave-NELITE750-dp-B08BVSCY8G/dp/B08BVSCY8G/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Licensed since 1984 General class here.
Everyone needs to be licensed soon.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#35]
If you're studying for tech now, press on for general.  Th HF bands all become available for lots of use.  License now, learn to operate now.  Not when shifting for reals.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So, what bands are most useful for 300 mile communications.
View Quote

40 or 80m, NVIS antenna setup.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#38]
For anyone looking for an HF rig, I wholeheartedly recommend the Icom 7300.  I have a Yaesu FT-857D setup as a portable HF rig.  Yaesu makes great UHF/VHF handhelds.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#39]
The Icom 718 is not a bad little HF radio and can be had for $600.  It will get the job done.  I am an Extra and a VE.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#40]

If ordering from amazon don’t forget to use smile and choose American Pioneer Corps as your charity.

In for antenna recommendations

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I tried to buy a few radios a while ago. Got scammed. Person took the money but never shipped them. So does anyone have a link to which radios I should buy that is from a reliable source?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#42]
HF is a ton of fun. I've had my General ticket a few years now and have made contacts all over. Have worked around 30 States and many countries, Canada, maybe a dozen in Europe, but also a couple in South America.

I got my first rig at a local club auction. Fortunately, in my area 2m is pretty active with several repeaters and clubs. Always someone to talk to and learn from. Learned alot using that rig, and eventually upgraded to a more modern unit acquired through eBay. It was manufactured in the early 2003, so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles a modern rig would have, but works great for me and requires no computer support to work.

Couple of things to note based on my experience getting started:

Your HF radio is only one part of the equation.  Your antenna is equally as important to get the most out of your radio. In most cases a simple length of wire or a dipole antenna will work great. In my case, I use a vertical antenna with a large radial/ground plane field. I also have a multi band dipole for field operations and a portable mast to elevate it.

You may also need a tuner to match your antenna and radio. This will prevent you from burning up your transmitter, but may not necessarily make your signal better. Most modern rigs will have a built in tuner, but it doesn't replace having a well matched antenna to the particular frequency you're operating on.

Don't forget coax. The cable connection from your radio to the antenna could be the most important part of your system.

You'll also need a good power supply. To my knowledge there are very few HF radios that plug into the wall. Most will need DC current to operate. Make sure you get one that has enough amps to operate your radio at full power and makes "clean", DC power. Not all power supplies are created equal, some will introduce noise into your system and make it harder to operate efficiently. Large car type batteries or deep cycle marine batteries work as well, but operating your HF radio at full power will drain one pretty quick. Solar or plug in charging methods are a necessity when operating for any length of time in this mode.

Lastly is you. There is a bit of a learning curve regarding successful HF communications. The Technician ticket is a great place to start, getting you familiar with the terminology, equipment and operation of your radios. VHF/UHF is alot of fun. You can meet and learn from some great people, and yes, sometimes there are the stereotypical old men on there.

All in with my mobile rigs, base stations and field station, I'm probably between $2500 and $3000. Keep in mind though, that you can get into the UHF/VHF game for less than $400 all in and be on the air with a real good, somewhat bullet proof setup. HF is somewhat more expensive, but with some patience, you could probably get into it for between $1000-$1500.

Lastly, if you just want to listen, check broadcastify.com for police/fire/ems frequencies in your area and get a scanner that covers those frequencies. Just about all scanners will also cover the ham bands. May be a good way to get your feet wet and see if the radio hobby is for you.

Happy to answer any questions with my limited knowledge. The ham radio forum here is filled with some real smart and helpful people.

KC1***

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#43]
A complete package with the radio, antenna and tuner would be appreciated if it’s available at one source. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Got my crappy chicom radios 2 days ago. I already set them up, it is easy if you aren't retarded. I can hit several repeaters from my home and work. There is no traffic on any of them though.

eta didn't notice HF
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I tried to buy a few radios a while ago. Got scammed. Person took the money but never shipped them. So does anyone have a link to which radios I should buy that is from a reliable source?
View Quote

Order from MTC Radio.  I have bought from them in person and online. Great people.
https://www.mtcradio.com/
Great customer service and will recommend and make suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
HF is a ton of fun. I've had my General ticket a few years now and have made contacts all over. Have worked around 30 States and many countries, Canada, maybe a dozen in Europe, but also a couple in South America.

I got my first rig at a local club auction. Fortunately, in my area 2m is pretty active with several repeaters and clubs. Always someone to talk to and learn from. Learned alot using that rig, and eventually upgraded to a more modern unit acquired through eBay. It was manufactured in the early 2003, so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles a modern rig would have, but works great for me and requires no computer support to work.

Couple of things to note based on my experience getting started:

Your HF radio is only one part of the equation.  Your antenna is equally as important to get the most out of your radio. In most cases a simple length of wire or a dipole antenna will work great. In my case, I use a vertical antenna with a large radial/ground plane field. I also have a multi band dipole for field operations and a portable mast to elevate it.

You may also need a tuner to match your antenna and radio. This will prevent you from burning up your transmitter, but may not necessarily make your signal better. Most modern rigs will have a built in tuner, but it doesn't replace having a well matched antenna to the particular frequency you're operating on.

Don't forget coax. The cable connection from your radio to the antenna could be the most important part of your system.

You'll also need a good power supply. To my knowledge there are very few HF radios that plug into the wall. Most will need DC current to operate. Make sure you get one that has enough amps to operate your radio at full power and makes "clean", DC power. Not all power supplies are created equal, some will introduce noise into your system and make it harder to operate efficiently. Large car type batteries or deep cycle marine batteries work as well, but operating your HF radio at full power will drain one pretty quick. Solar or plug in charging methods are a necessity when operating for any length of time in this mode.

Lastly is you. There is a bit of a learning curve regarding successful HF communications. The Technician ticket is a great place to start, getting you familiar with the terminology, equipment and operation of your radios. VHF/UHF is alot of fun. You can meet and learn from some great people, and yes, sometimes there are the stereotypical old men on there.

All in with my mobile rigs, base stations and field station, I'm probably between $2500 and $3000. Keep in mind though, that you can get into the UHF/VHF game for less than $400 all in and be on the air with a real good, somewhat bullet proof setup. HF is somewhat more expensive, but with some patience, you could probably get into it for between $1000-$1500.

Lastly, if you just want to listen, check broadcastify.com for police/fire/ems frequencies in your area and get a scanner that covers those frequencies. Just about all scanners will also cover the ham bands. May be a good way to get your feet wet and see if the radio hobby is for you.

Happy to answer any questions with my limited knowledge. The ham radio forum here is filled with some real smart and helpful people.

KC1***

View Quote

I don't think this is a thread about the "radio hobby."
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.hamradio.com/

Physical stores across the country too
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A complete package with the radio, antenna and tuner would be appreciated if it’s available at one source. Thanks
View Quote

This would be helpful. I was looking at the Icom 7300 and then got lost with the antenna choices, tuner and power supply. Mostly the antenna is where I get confused.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I still have my station.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I just got a cheapie UHF.VHF on amazon....good lord, $600+ entry fee? Another expensive hobby...
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top