Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#1]
While ammo is not plentiful right now, he would be better served long term with a common caliber like 5.56.

When the boog kicks off there will be 5.56 ammo.  Same as 9mm and to a lesser extent 40.  6.5 anything, 45, 10, 224V, 300BO ... not so much.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I want a 9mm bullet hose. I settled on wanting a Foxtrot Mike because it takes AR parts and I already have piles of Glock mags...

And they are all gone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i have had 1700 rds of 6.5 on EE for months. want some?
View Quote

What flavor ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Building an AR lower is still doable for a reasonable price... yes everything is up 50+% in cost but a month ago I steered a buddy into buying a receiver at a local shop and a PSA Magpul STR lower build kit... at the time it was $170 plus shipping/tax so around $300 for the lower.  Hand tools and a vise, he now has a functional lower.  $90 in the future will get him a Mbt-2s Larue Trigger.  

He was still able to order a PSA CHF upper online... last I looked they were pretty much sold out.  Used uppers is another avenue to pursue... might have to scour the EE but I've seen 18" and 20" for sale for what appear to be somewhat reasonable prices... can always make an offer.  

I love the SKS and have a bunch of M67, prefer the x39 round but an AR is a more versatile platform.  6.5 Grendel is still for sale locally... saw it at Academy the other day for $22 a box for Hornady Eld black etc, midway has it for $25... not a great price but not nearly the sharp increase that 556 has experienced.  Can not find Wolf steel case 6.5g though...

My advice is if they want an AR get the lower first.  My one mistake is not getting a couple K of cheap wolf 223 to plink with.  I thought I had more of a stash of 223... turns out I have more 22 than I realized.  I have a cmmg 22 kit for my AR's and have been acquainting new shooters with that for familiarity...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks gents, good suggestions.  I think I'll get one of the SKSs myself and let them both shoot it and see if they want to buy it from me.
I have owned as many as 4 of them at one time, but have no commie stuff today.  I think that's a lot closer to the budget of the older one.  The younger one is making really good money and might want something nicer.

Quoted:
I want a 9mm bullet hose. I settled on wanting a Foxtrot Mike because it takes AR parts and I already have piles of Glock mags...

And they are all gone.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158348/3F6D6E96-36B9-4504-9EE9-861406C37F2C_jpe-1503391.JPG
View Quote

I took my bullet hose out a few weeks ago and wiped out 4 or 5 boxes before I knew what was happening.  That's when I decided I don't have enough 9mm ammo, but now prices have gone so bonkers that the bullet hose will have to collect dust for a while.  I've managed to get about 3K 9mm rounds since the flu started, so it's not terrible.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My 7.62x39 AR build is a lot of fun and much cheaper to shoot right now.

Personally I would help him locate all the 5.56 parts and help the guy build a regular AR. Branching out to other calibers can be done later.

Maybe buy 500rds of 5.56 the next time it's in stock at TSUSA, SG ammo or ammo empire.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Given that the 762x39 ammo situation doesn't seem to be as bad as 556, I'd be thinking in terms of an AK or possibly a KS-47.
My 7.62x39 AR build is a lot of fun and much cheaper to shoot right now.

Personally I would help him locate all the 5.56 parts and help the guy build a regular AR. Branching out to other calibers can be done later.

Maybe buy 500rds of 5.56 the next time it's in stock at TSUSA, SG ammo or ammo empire.

Agreed. I really like my 762x39 AR build.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Took my girlfriend shooting over the weekend. Her first time shooting handguns, she has shot rifles with her Dad and has hunted. She has been interested in getting her CPL and now has been looking at guns. 9MM is too snappy for her, and most guns are too big for her tiny hands. Thinking about an LCP 2 in 380 but trying to find anything anywhere has been crazy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#8]
In my AO, Governor Blackface Klanrobes is using the "COVID crisis" to shut down gun shows. LGS are OOS on most anything useful. "private sales" are now illegal in Virginia without going through a Dealer. IDK if the Virginia State Police will still be conducting the required checks for $2, on-site at gun shows, if they ever re-open.

I was in the Bass Pro Shop in Florida yesterday and the clerk was trying to explain the current panic-buying situation to a young couple with a baby who were looking for their first HD firearm. The clerk was spot-on with the info he was providing and was even trying to guide them to other sources for purchase. He also encouraged them to take a basic firearms safety/handling course and giving them sources for that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have no problems finding ammo here, when i go out shooting i usually buy some to shoot and leave my stash alone. And then there are reloads, HSM is just down the street and so is Ammo & More. Even during the sandy hood days i could buy 500rds of 9mm for a hundred bucks I think and i could do it in quantity. You could hear the machines chugging alone in the back
View Quote

Now you've done it.  Neckbeards from Spokane will be racing each other across the Idaho panhandle this afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I think “future proofing” might be prudent. Considering the likely outcome of the election and all that entails for the future of gun ownership, I’m not sure spending scarce money on a firearm which may be “grandfathered” at best in a year or two is a wise investment.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, I got a new little .38 a few weeks ago.  5 rounds literally makes my hand bleed.  At least I have 3K rounds to dump through it
View Quote

Airweight J-frame? Grips matter... a lot. Stock grips suck, IMHO. If the cylinder latch is splitting your thumb knuckle open, they can be rounded off like so (top is modded, bottom is the stock latch):

As far as buying guns right now: Its not a good time to be buying guns or ammo, in almost any caliber. If its a real need, I would stick with common calibers, and not go for something like 6.5 Grendel. Current availability might be better with 6.5G, but long term, the mainstream calibers will be more available, sooner, and cheaper eventually. Same applies to support gear ( spare parts, mags, etc)

SHTF battlefield pickup 9mm and 5.56mm will be a thing... 6.5G, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Airweight J-frame? Grips matter... a lot. Stock grips suck, IMHO. If the cylinder latch is splitting your thumb knuckle open, they can be rounded off like so (top is modded, bottom is the stock latch):

https://i.imgur.com/UlY4jIsh.jpg

As far as buying guns right now: Its not a good time to be buying guns or ammo, in almost any caliber. If its a real need, I would stick with common calibers, and not go for something like 6.5 Grendel. Current availability might be better with 6.5G, but long term, the mainstream calibers will be more available, sooner, and cheaper eventually. Same applies to support gear ( spare parts, mags, etc)

SHTF battlefield pickup 9mm and 5.56mm will be a thing... 6.5G, not so much.
View Quote

Yep, airweight J-frame.  It’s not really the guns fault for me bleeding, I have a skin graft seam right in the web of the thumb.  It managed to sit exactly at the wrong place on the J-frame and the recoil pulls the skin apart.  It’s not like a PPK that just slices a path across my hand.  But at least a PPK has a 92lb trigger pull so you don’t notice little things like getting cut.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruger American Ranch in 6.5G?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Came to say this. Chinese SKS from PSA, 1k of 7.62x39 (train with half and stash half), and stay away from those stupid duckbill mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$350 SKS and 1,000 round of 7.62x39 for now.

Came to say this. Chinese SKS from PSA, 1k of 7.62x39 (train with half and stash half), and stay away from those stupid duckbill mags.

This. Had a little chinese SKS back in the "get them for $100" days. Wish I'd never sold it. Great little rifles if you have nothing at all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 to that. Make it 2k with the money you save though. Learn the sights, practice your clip reloads, and find a cheap way to mount a flashlight on it. Not the best experience but it'll be there for you when you need it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]

I have four of these Ruger Americans. Handy and cheap. Very accurate for the money. Slap a DNZ medium mount and Sightron Stac 3-16 on it. Suckers are fun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Get whatever you can get, resort to battlefield pickups if you have to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link to $350 SKS? Genuinely curious.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

PSA SKS
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to @wienerman1961, I found a couple of Ruger AR-556 with M-Lock handguard for $819 each and told both boys to hustle up and buy them now.  So they did, orders are complete and on the way for the both of them.

Thanks!  Enjoy your membership, log out and back in!

We could use some leads on ammo for them now, I ordered 4 mags for each of them already and I have some Wolf they can blast away with for a while.  

Thanks Arfcom!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks to @wienerman1961, I found a couple of Ruger AR-556 with M-Lock handguard for $819 each and told both boys to hustle up and buy them now.  So they did, orders are complete and on the way for the both of them.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/60761-DEFAULT-l.jpg

We could use some leads on ammo for them now, I ordered 4 mags for each of them already and I have some Wolf they can blast away with for a while.  

Thanks Arfcom!
View Quote

@SCW

AmmoSeek 5.56

AmmoSeek .223
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks Arfcom!
View Quote

Ammoseek has some .223 and 5.56 showing as avaliable

About a month ago, I ended up going with the TulAmmo 62gr HP.  Read some good things about it.

Just fired about 80 rounds with no problems.

They also show some M855 avaliable.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't wait as they sell out quick.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#25]
An AR in 6.5G would be just fine.

They can always get a 5.56 upper when the panic settles.

They will more than likely like shooting and will want to buy more guns in the future.

A 6.5G is a 0-1200 yard gun.

They can then learn long range shooting on a gun they are already familiar with.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

PSA SKS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA SKS

Trash can.

Why give him a beat to heck inherently inaccurate heavy gun full of sloppy junk parts that looks like Chernobyl aids? Then he’ll tactical bubbafy it and it will be an even bigger pile of steaming nuclear STD turd.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks Arfcom!
View Quote

Thank goodness. I didn’t get this far at my last post.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks Arfcom!
View Quote

Combat Armory was advertising 10 packs of PMAGs for $100 shipped last week. I've ordered from them a few times, they're GTG.

Otherwise, I have a couple mags each I'd be willing to donate to them as well.

@SCW
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Oops.  Sorry for the dupe.

Ammoseek
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#30]
The Rugers are good to go. I'd look at replacing the trigger, whenever convenient. We put an extra RR 2 stage I had in my pard's Ruger. He was amazed at how much more accurate he was able to shoot with it.

Nice work getting these young fellas introduced to the shooting sports, OP!

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Well those boys better get to paying me back.  I just floated about $4K on my credit card for them, lol.

But we've got 3600 rounds of ammo on the way, two rifles and 4 mags each for them.

Not bad.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well those boys better get to paying me back.  I just floated about $4K on my credit card for them, lol.

But we've got 3600 rounds of ammo on the way, two rifles and 4 mags each for them.

Not bad.
View Quote

You are a good friend.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not bad.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s right
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top