Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/13/2020 11:32:49 PM EDT
Both are young men, one just turned 18 and the other is 20.  Both are trying to figure out how to buy anything, and it's tough to answer.  I'm leaning towards pushing them both to a 6.5 Grendel only because there is at least *some* ammo still available.  Neither has a lot of money, but that's irrelevant when you can't even put your hands on 223.

I took the 20 year old shooting tonight.  His first time shooting an AR and I think it was pretty near his first time ever shooting at all.  I know his dad hunts, but I also know his dad is a pretty crappy dad.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
similar situation here. Its a shit show. Im trying to do it from out of state too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
lever action 357 or stand behind the nicest rifle guy lacking cardio
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, strange days. I received a call from a buddy of mine down south, asking if he could buy some of my sekret storage 9mm ammo, and other ammo.

He's a new shooter, I told him go ahead and grab what you need, we'll figure it out later.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 11:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read lever .357, but interpreted that as bolt action 6.5G.  Good idea, I'll suggest it to the younger one.

The older one is likely to be my son-in-law soon.  He needs to get a good defense gun.  It was just yesterday I learned that he hasn't shot or even been around guns much.  We now have a standing appointment for every Monday to do some training on my guns and ammo.  I'm willing to buy the parts myself and hold them for a wedding present, but...  I haven't found much.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Your a good guy OP
Never know, he may just save your families/your life with what your doing for him.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Tough time to be buying anything semi-auto right now.  I agree with the above poster that a .357 lever rifle would be a solid choice, or even a .44 Magnum lever rifle.  It's no semi-auto but .44 Mag out of a rifle will drop someone like a bag of bricks.  The current Winchester 1892, while a bit pricey, can hold 10 rounds of .44 Mag.  If you get a 24" barreled model it'll hold 12.

I have a couple semi-autos for defensive purposes, but in a punch I would not hesitate to grab my Winchester 1886 in 45-70.  That beast holds 8 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I gave a guy 2 boxes of Tula 223. He managed to find an AR for around $800 but no ammo. I refused to sell him one of my ARs. Beggars cant be choosers, the Tula for you.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Given that the 762x39 ammo situation doesn't seem to be as bad as 556, and is generally more affordable, I'd be thinking in terms of an AK or possibly a KS-47.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where are you finding 357 ammunition?

I check every couple days and all I can usually find are botique loads costing $1.65 per round.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Wish I could help. Guns here are gone.

Let me know which way you go. I’ll kick parts you way if you do a AR build.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Given that the 762x39 ammo situation doesn't seem to be as bad as 556, I'd be thinking in terms of an AK or possibly a KS-47.
View Quote
My 7.62x39 AR build is a lot of fun and much cheaper to shoot right now.

Personally I would help him locate all the 5.56 parts and help the guy build a regular AR. Branching out to other calibers can be done later.

Maybe buy 500rds of 5.56 the next time it's in stock at TSUSA, SG ammo or ammo empire.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#13]
LEVER ACTION 44 MAG SOUNDS LIKE SOME FUCKING TITS RIGHT THERE

eta. i actually like the 6.5 grendel idea if there is ammo to be had.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no problems finding ammo here, when i go out shooting i usually buy some to shoot and leave my stash alone. And then there are reloads, HSM is just down the street and so is Ammo & More. Even during the sandy hood days i could buy 500rds of 9mm for a hundred bucks I think and i could do it in quantity. You could hear the machines chugging alone in the back
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Gal friend of mine, who had always been in favor of guns, but never wanted one for herself, now is suddenly interested. She’s taking an intro/safety class later In the month. She told me she liked the cute little revolvers. I got her straightened out on that very quickly.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#16]
.357 lever gun or .44 lever gun are solid choices, just gotta know how to run them right. either is a good manstopper, .44 is a bear stopper with right loads.   .357 is liekly faster on shooting than .44 though cuz of recoil though either from rifle is totally manageable.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#17]
How about a 22 rifle or pistol for now?  They can shoot a bunch of 22 for a long while.  When I say
22 pistol like a revolver.  Lever action like Marlin
30-30.  Maybe 40 sw pistol.   30-06 bolt gun I am finding boxes of it everywhere.  Show them how to find ammo as best you can now.  But don't let them
eat up your reserves. I would rather had one good shooter out here rather two novice shooters.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#18]
i have had 1700 rds of 6.5 on EE for months. want some?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wish I could help. Guns here are gone.

Let me know which way you go. I’ll kick parts you way if you do a AR build.
View Quote

Likely a .223 AR.  I really think he should have one these days, and he's a willing student and not as dumb as he looks.  Or as dumb as his father, which was my biggest concern.

Quoted:
My 7.62x39 AR build is a lot of fun and much cheaper to shoot right now.

Personally I would help him locate all the 5.56 parts and help the guy build a regular AR. Branching out to other calibers can be done later.

Maybe buy 500rds of 5.56 the next time it's in stock at TSUSA, SG ammo or ammo empire.
View Quote

Since the 'panic part 2020' started I haven't even looked at .223 ammo.  I'll have to get on a few in-stock notifications.  I'm still sitting on nearly 4K of that cheap Wolf with the bad primers that you talked me into a few years ago, so I'll be able to get him some good training with that.  

Quoted:
Gal friend of mine, who had always been in favor of guns, but never wanted one for herself, now is suddenly interested. She’s taking an intro/safety class later In the month. She told me she liked the cute little revolvers. I got her straightened out on that very quickly.
View Quote

Yeah, I got a new little .38 a few weeks ago.  5 rounds literally makes my hand bleed.  At least I have 3K rounds to dump through it
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I know they've gone up in price and are harder to find now, but I still like the SKS. If you get proficient with the stripper clips, it's a much better choice than a .44 levergun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i have had 1700 rds of 6.5 on EE for months. want some?
View Quote

off to the EE now......
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#22]
How could a kid grow up in UT and not have a gun already by 18?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I am a fan of 6.5G..... but those 16" bolt guns in 7.62x39 are pretty cool. Lots of steel 7.62 for sale.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Given that the 762x39 ammo situation doesn't seem to be as bad as 556, and is generally more affordable, I'd be thinking in terms of an AK or possibly a KS-47.
View Quote

This takes an AK mag, aren't they pretty much unobtainable now?  Maybe a CCMG Mutant if I can put my hands on one.

Goting 7.62x39 seems like a pretty good idea, at least for my likely future son-in-law.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I read lever .357, but interpreted that as bolt action 6.5G.  Good idea, I'll suggest it to the younger one.

The older one is likely to be my son-in-law soon.  He needs to get a good defense gun.  It was just yesterday I learned that he hasn't shot or even been around guns much.  We now have a standing appointment for every Monday to do some training on my guns and ammo.  I'm willing to buy the parts myself and hold them for a wedding present, but...  I haven't found much.
View Quote
Likely to be your son in law soon and you're just now finding out about his lack of firearms and nonexistent skill set? How did you take it when your daughter told you she got pregnant on their first date?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only have mediocre to poor things to say about his parents. But he's a nice kid and I sat him down and told him if he's like his dad, I'll be pissed.

His dad hasn't been overly friendly to me lately, so I imagine somehow word got back to him.

That said, he has a little NAA .22 Derringer and didn't know how to use it.

For the next few months he's got every monday to work on it.  And me too!  it's kinda nice to be force to do some training, he's so green he didn't notice how badly I was doing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

SIL...? Are we going to keep this one, or make it look like another accident?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:53:28 AM EDT
[#28]
As CharlieBravo mentioned a SKS would be good, and Palmetto has had them for weeks at $349. Just checked still in stock
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#29]
$350 SKS and 1,000 round of 7.62x39 for now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

SIL...? Are we going to keep this one, or make it look like another accident?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158348/BDB2275E-7EA0-4C8F-97CE-AFE8559E7DFA_jpe-1503083.JPG
View Quote

Ugh.  He decided to play tennis instead of football in high school.  So did my dad, but still...  Seems kinda pansy-like.

I've done some work with his dad over the years and only learned to respect him less the more I got to know him.  So my daughter telling me that they are getting serious wasn't met with excitement, but he knew that and has tried to rise up to our expectations.  For over a year now he's been really trying to do well, and mostly succeeding.  I already have more respect for him than his dad.

This is my first experience with this crap.  Why aren't arranged marriages a thing anymore?  Sure seems like something I could run with, lol.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I know they've gone up in price and are harder to find now, but I still like the SKS. If you get proficient with the stripper clips, it's a much better choice than a .44 levergun.
View Quote

Yes, much, much better choice. Cheaper to shoot than the 6.5 Grendel now and in the future.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:08:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to say this. Chinese SKS from PSA, 1k of 7.62x39 (train with half and stash half), and stay away from those stupid duckbill mags.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This takes an AK mag, aren't they pretty much unobtainable now?  Maybe a CCMG Mutant if I can put my hands on one.

Goting 7.62x39 seems like a pretty good idea, at least for my likely future son-in-law.
View Quote

Yup, takes AK mags.  Last I checked PSA has the 16" KS47 Mlok carbine version in stock for $800. The Mutant will probably cost a good bit more. I have a braced pistol KS-47 and its a hoot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Whatever they get they better get it now. Shit is getting scarce. What's available is going up. They need ammo too, man you need to light a fire under their asses
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#35]
You can still get 223 for less than $0.40/rd shipped, just make sure the gun cycles steel case ammo.

Dude asking about 357, use ammoseek...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I only have mediocre to poor things to say about his parents. But he's a nice kid and I sat him down and told him if he's like his dad, I'll be pissed.

His dad hasn't been overly friendly to me lately, so I imagine somehow word got back to him.

For the next few months he's got every monday to work on it.  And me too!  it's kinda nice to be force to do some training, he's so green he didn't notice how badly I was doing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say that because I lived much of my life there. I took a family who recently moved from UT shooting.  My buddy and I harassed the dad really bad.  "You mean you don't own a gun and you are from UT?"  The guy is really cool and just made fun of himself.  

You're doing a good thing helping those boys out.  I have a few friends' kids who are interested in things my son does: shooting, car repair, work.  Seems like some dads these days are not supportive of their kids' interests.  One of them offered to change his own car's oil.

The kid even bought the oil and filter.  He then told his dad he would have my son supervise. The kid's dad was like "no."  Essentially, the dad didn't trust him and wouldn't even let him try it.  

Needless to say, they don't have a good relationship. And his older brother has no confidence due to his mom's constant hen pecking. Sad really.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:09:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Both are young men, one just turned 18 and the other is 20.  Both are trying to figure out how to buy anything, and it's tough to answer.  I'm leaning towards pushing them both to a 6.5 Grendel only because there is at least *some* ammo still available.  Neither has a lot of money, but that's irrelevant when you can't even put your hands on 223.

I took the 20 year old shooting tonight.  His first time shooting an AR and I think it was pretty near his first time ever shooting at all.  I know his dad hunts, but I also know his dad is a pretty crappy dad.
View Quote

Budget?  Riflesonly, or pistols too?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:16:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a fuckton of ak mags, but I'm out of town for the next few months working. Sucks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#39]
But you CAN put your hand on 223/556 and it is cheaper than 6.5G.   I get many newsletters from ammo places, go around and sign up for those and buy ammo.  After re-election things go back to normal and a young guy will be glad he got a regular AR.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#40]
My LGS in W Colorado is well stocked with guns, ARs included.
No ammo though.

Prices are fair considering, and they ship to FFLs.   PM me if you want their contact info.   In fact, I’ll call them later today and see if they care if I post their contact info here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Try buying any kind of weights for your home gym. I never anticipated that one. Guns and ammo were hoarded long ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#42]
If I was desperate for a defensive long gun today I would look for hunting pump shotgun and a hacksaw
Add some turkey loads that I still see available and I would not feel out gunned
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
LEVER ACTION 44 MAG SOUNDS LIKE SOME FUCKING TITS RIGHT THERE

eta. i actually like the 6.5 grendel idea if there is ammo to be had.
View Quote

Yep. I have 2. One is a Winchester 94 and the other is a Marlin 1894S. I fire the Marlin more. The Winchester is in such incredibly good condition.  Got it at a pawn shop on Yadkin Rd in Fayetteville,  NC back in the '80s when I was at Ft Bragg.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Future son in law is family. Seems like you'd need to be looking out for family
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I was at my local Cabela's yesterday.  For handguns, they had plenty of $900+ 1911's and SA revolvers, maybe a 686 or two, and a couple of J-frames.  The handgun case was C&R oddities, per-war K-frames, and .22's.  The local shops are somewhat better and still have some polymer 9mm's to go around, but not much.  They did have a handful of $1000+ AR's in stock as well, one PSL, and any fudd shotgun you could want.

Went there hoping to get some Unique or Blue Dot to feed my new .44 Mag habit, but instead there was one jug of AA #7 and one jug of Silhouette, and after a few calls it looked like those were the last 2 jugs of powder in the county.    At least they had a few loading manuals unwrapped, so I could see that AA #7 would do the job.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#46]
They need to sit down and come up with a priority list based on realistic scenarios, not get into a panic buy situation.

What is his/your daughters most likely self defense scenario.  Will he need to defend his home or is he more likely to run into trouble on the road?

Everybody should have at least a rifle, pistol , and shotgun at their disposal.  He needs to prioritize in what order he will acquire them and put a plan together.

It's not all about guns either, teaching him to stay calm, make decisions with a clear head, set goals, and coming up with a workable plan will help him with all the other things life is going to throw at him.

EDIT:  Guns and ammo are out there, but he will end up paying a premium if he wants them right now.  Has he sat down and put together a budget to see where he can start saving money?  Is he willing to take on some odd jobs or a temp part time job to come up with the extra cash?  Does he have any stuff he can sell to come up with a little more money?  You can get a feel for how committed he is by seeing what he is willing to give up when it comes to protecting himself and your daughter.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

For a shoestring budget, that’s not a bad idea. It’s not great, but it’ll get the job done and ammo is still around.

The AR and 9mm are the reigning king, and will continue to be. But if ARs are flatout off the table your budget options get difficult.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Friend of mine was able to snag a kit from Palmetto... And a stripped lower locally. His first AR.. Built it up for him. He was also able to find mags and ammo locally. Have had several request to build rifles, but I'm out of that game now! Have noticed quality and fitment are starting to go down the drain.

Also gave my manager and her husband some ammo that they couldn't find.

Talked with clerk @ local Academy a few weeks back, shelves bare and collection miniscule. He said new buyers coming in that are so desperate, they are buying .22 cal weapons for protection.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Friend of mine was able to snag a kit from Palmetto... And a stripped lower locally. His first AR.. Built it up for him. He was also able to find mags and ammo locally. Have had several request to build rifles, but I'm out of that game now! Have noticed quality and fitment are starting to go down the drain.

Also gave my manager and her husband some ammo that they couldn't find.

Talked with clerk @ local Academy a few weeks back, shelves bare and collection miniscule. He said new buyers coming in that are so desperate, they are buying .22 cal weapons for protection.
View Quote

Same here. If there is a gun in the case, you’d better buy it. It won’t be there long.

My gunshop buddy sold 40 XDs in a few hours... He said no one that bought one really wanted an XD. That’s the shipment that was in, so that’s what was sold. He’s placing big orders for whatever he might be able to get. He said he usually sells a few 870s a year. This year he can’t keep them on the wall. He can’t get guns fast enough to sell them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Armslist has plenty of $400 Mosins and 762x54R for .50 a round.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top