Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a DPMS M4gery in about '07.  1-7 Chrome lined barrel well over 5000 rounds with zero malfunctions.  Good gun.

Is the GII really junk?  I kinda like the concept.
View Quote
The joke with the G2 was "its the best 308 no one knows about"
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Both, depended on the customer.
View Quote
Thank you.

When you were supplying Marty Daniel (I assume that means Daniel Defense), was there an actually difference in the parts they got, or is it mostly marketing when the rifles are made with the same materials.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
So in late 2012 I purchased a DPMS .22lr upper that was made in collaboration with Nordic Components. Are parts going to be available for it in the future? Mainly the BCG that is modeled similar to a 10/22. It is a wicked little upper and very accurate. Just need to balance out if parts are not available for the thousands of rounds myself and kids have run through it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much of the current AR15 market is made with Chinese parts?  Talking LPKs and stuff like that.

Not talking about the cheapest of the cheap bullshit no name stuff, talking about brands we all know.
View Quote
I have no idea about other companies but DPMS never sold parts from China.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of DPMS parts in some rifles

i was pretty happy with them.

are there still rifles built in St Cloud?
View Quote
They shut the plant down and relocated it to Huntsville Alabama in 2018
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Sad time.  I only bought one DPMS, when Wal-Mart was unloading AR pattern rifles dirt cheap.  This one has never been out of the box except to check the serial number when I bought it. It will never be worth a bunch on money, but one day one of my great grandchildren might say, "I never heard of DPMS". I will then educate them on the salad days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
WTF was the deal with the goofy picatinny gas block that was below-plane with the upper?
View Quote
It was purpose built so that idiots could not mount a magpul sight on and melt it. Also to fit our sights
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Why did they fuck up the G2 so badly?

It could have been amazing but they never offered decent configurations or parts.

16” 243 Win? Really? Lol.

No threading on half of them. Really?!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They sold the parts to CDNN at a loss so you figure it out.
View Quote
Im trying to figure out thenprice difference between the BM and the DPMS. The BM kit is 40 bucks more for what appears to be the same gun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What does DPMS actually stand for.
View Quote
I always heard it was defense procurement and management systems
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for doing this.  I worked for an FFL years ago and was direct before the Remington chaos. DPMS was good quality at a reasonable price and the CS was awesome for us in FL.  Sad to see the black cat express retired.  
View Quote
I bet I sold you some riles

Also the Black Cat Express was a disaster but nothing is more fun that shooting out of it
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Are there still kitty cat barrels in some closet waiting for CDNN to purchase?

The other day someone from Bushmaster mentioned that warehouse FULL of parts, are there similar DPMS parts just sitting around too?

Sad to see DPMS and Bushmaster go. They helped shape the current AR craze today.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Why can’t we have G2 stripped lowers and uppers? I would have bought the shit out of that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It could have been amazing but they never offered decent configurations or parts.

View Quote
The only barrel without muzzle threads in the last few years was the 24” bull.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP is answering questions like a boss.
View Quote
If you remember "Q&A with DPMS!" I'm the guy that did it. I know GD like a boss...
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#16]
1) Why did they sell to DPMS Remington? Was the money that good? Do you think Remington intended it to go this way?

2) You had a reputation for lowers with tight magwells. I had 3. All were tight. I sold them all.
Why wasn't this fixed faster?

Moving beyond the gun industry.....You said the company philosophy was to sell 'as good as, but cheaper'. Do you see this as a viable business model in general, or would it be easier/better, in general, to position yourself as selling a premium product, at a high price/margin?

edited - I meant, why did DPMS sell to Remington?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. I always wanted a .243 G2 with a 20" barrel and a 1:7 twist.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My first AR was an off-the-rack DPMS 20" A2. I bought the DCM sights and a match trigger from the DPMS catalog and used it for NRA Service Rifle matches.

After 12 years and 8000+ rounds, the groups are starting to open up quite a bit.

You wouldn't happen to have a spare DPMS DCM upper laying around, would you?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]
any idea how much randy walked away with?..and,have you ever met roger at rguns?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Small and odd ball?

Anything interesting or that might have made it on the open market?
View Quote
F/A 10" 308
Quick change barrels
10mm collapsable that worked

Built the first 6.8 and 6.5 Creedmor

Can't remember all the stuff
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are all ARs pretty much the same? Is parts just parts?
View Quote
If its to mil spec or better then yes. same same
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you still have the password for the DPMS arfcom account?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So in late 2012 I purchased a DPMS .22lr upper that was made in collaboration with Nordic Components. Are parts going to be available for it in the future? Mainly the BCG that is modeled similar to a 10/22. It is a wicked little upper and very accurate. Just need to balance out if parts are not available for the thousands of rounds myself and kids have run through it.
View Quote
No, Nordic should help you. Best 22 ever in a AR.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Im trying to figure out thenprice difference between the BM and the DPMS. The BM kit is 40 bucks more for what appears to be the same gun.
View Quote
Bushmaster has the 1/9 twist, DPMS has the light profile 1/8 twist.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sad time.  I only bought one DPMS, when Wal-Mart was unloading AR pattern rifles dirt cheap.  This one has never been out of the box except to check the serial number when I bought it. It will never be worth a bunch on money, but one day one of my great grandchildren might say, "I never heard of DPMS". I will then educate them on the salad days.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/212055/DPMS1_jpg-1262263.JPG
View Quote
If you only know what "flip the switch" meant
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Sad to see it end. I’ve used at least 6 DPMS lower parts kits in different builds and NEVER had an issue. Good stuff at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I own an Oracle and it's a great shooting gun.  Super gritty trigger, but otherwise great.  Zero malfunctions and surprisingly accurate.  I hate to see DPMS go.

I'm glad you found a new job.  Good luck and thanks for answering questions.  This is very interesting!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Product manager was not willing to take risks that we presented.

I purposed to make all barrels threaded with adjustable gas blocks amongst other recommendations. When Remington took over it all changed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Did Wanderlei Silva ever take a tour of the place when he was sponsored by DPMS?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are there still kitty cat barrels in some closet waiting for CDNN to purchase?

The other day someone from Bushmaster mentioned that warehouse FULL of parts, are there similar DPMS parts just sitting around too?

Sad to see DPMS and Bushmaster go. They helped shape the current AR craze today.
View Quote
They sold what they could and scrapped the rest. I think it was about a semi trailer full of parts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Were you a gun guy before starting the job there? How'd you get the job? What did you like and dislike? Craziest or most annoying shot show story?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#32]
From my experience with your lpk's and as others mentioned, the DPMS triggers were very very gritty. Did DPMS ever make more refined triggers for other customers?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
2) You had a reputation for lowers with tight magwells. I had 3. All were tight. I sold them all.
View Quote
My DPMS lower takes mags in and out like... a naturally lubricated thing that goes in and out of another naturally lubricated... receptacle.

Even Magpul mags.

My Rock Rivers, on the other hand, are tight-ass bitches.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Remington is restructuring and eliminated all "MSR's"
View Quote

Since they bought DPMS and Bushmaster and Remington started making camo AR's that seems unwise.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
1) Why did they sell to DPMS Remington? Was the money that good? Do you think Remington intended it to go this way?

Randy sold because we got too big too fast and he didn't want to run a company that big. Also he feared that the Democrats would put him out of business in 2008

GI mags worked perfect but with the introduction on the Pmag we got the reputation of tight magwells. The Pmags were fat and the magwell was in spec but on the tight side. Other companies just oversized the well.

Moving beyond the gun industry.....You said the company philosophy was to sell 'as good as, but cheaper'. Do you see this as a viable business model in general, or would it be easier/better, in general, to position yourself as selling a premium product, at a high price/margin?

edited - I meant, why did DPMS sell to Remington?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They sold what they could and scrapped the rest. I think it was about a semi trailer full of parts.
View Quote
I heard 6 semi trailers of aluminum scrap alone

What was your best seller for contracts besides Kitty Kats?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
This reminds me that DPMS posted in GD that they were going to give huge discounts at the most recent Knob Creek shoot. I assume what they didn't sell was the inventory that got scrapped.

This makes me sad.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
any idea how much randy walked away with?..and,have you ever met roger at rguns?
View Quote
I never did find out but I heard it was $10M

I know Roger, his bad checks and his disgusting hookers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes then relocated to HSV
View Quote
How long were you at the HSV plant and what department? ‘18-‘19 manufacturing side here. Got laid off from there at the end of the last furlough in August.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#40]
When did every A3 receiver stop getting Teflon exterior finishes, and what models kept the Teflon coat?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We did a bunch of the Kitty Kat's for the secret service and FBI. The LR308 for foreign militaries and a bunch of small contracts here and there.

Before they changed the website we had the contracts listed IIRC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who are some of the bigger agencies DPMS had contracts with?  What years?
We did a bunch of the Kitty Kat's for the secret service and FBI. The LR308 for foreign militaries and a bunch of small contracts here and there.

Before they changed the website we had the contracts listed IIRC
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Did Wanderlei Silva ever take a tour of the place when he was sponsored by DPMS?
View Quote
Yes, he's quite the interesting guy...
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I always liked the company logo Even though this isn't related to DPMS, what do you think would happen to the ACR?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They sold the parts to CDNN at a loss so you figure it out.
View Quote
Sounds like Remington's decision is at least partly political.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Were you a gun guy before starting the job there? How'd you get the job? What did you like and dislike? Craziest or most annoying shot show story?
View Quote
Yes I was a gun guy, thats why I got hired. I had sales experience and knew guns and how to sell them.

Didn't like the laws and doing trade shows.

We had a reputation after-hours at SHOT and a couple companies owners did not allow employees to hang out with us.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Why didn’t you answer questions in the industry forum?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Just wanted to say thank you for the great products. I only had one small issue that was corrected quickly by a great customer service person back in 09.

My products have been solid and continue to impress.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
From my experience with your lpk's and as others mentioned, the DPMS triggers were very very gritty. Did DPMS ever make more refined triggers for other customers?
View Quote
Yes, every JP trigger was a DPMS, we had the tooling and made triggers for them. They did the final polish and assembly. It took me and the other sales guys about 8 years to convince production to make a better GI trigger.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Do you see any path forward to bring back the company name?

Or do you think Remington will simply leave the industry and go back to making more fudd-ish stuff? (Not that that's a bad thing)
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Remington is restructuring and eliminated all "MSR's"
View Quote
Of course they did.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top