User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best place/deal on genuine CAT?
View Quote
Recon Medical makes a CAT type TQ that is excellent quality and half the price.  You can get them here.

https://www.amazon.com/Tourniquet-Lightweight-Pre-Hospital-Hemorrhage-Registration/dp/B01MS9PDA3
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
At the end of the day, the current CoTCCC (and civilian C-TECC) recommendation only lists these TQ's - the CAT, SOFTT-W, and the Canadian EMT. This isn't a committee of retards, and there are years if not decades of data from our conflicts leading to the current standards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There’s some in the EE right now, about 10 bucks off retail.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/NAR-Gen-7-CAT-tourniquets/126-1861713/
View Quote
There are to many fakes out there to trust anything but a reliable source.  Amazon alone has dozens of fakes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are to many fakes out there to trust anything but a reliable source.  Amazon alone has dozens of fakes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's some in the EE right now, about 10 bucks off retail.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/NAR-Gen-7-CAT-tourniquets/126-1861713/
Fucking THIS. Saving 10 bucks doesn't balance with possibly getting a fake and having a loved one die. Get it from NORTH AMERICAN RESCUE.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fucking THIS. Saving 10 bucks doesn't balance with possibly getting a fake and having a loved one die. Get it from NORTH AMERICAN RESCUE.
View Quote
^^^^

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
^^^^

Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

Yep.
Or Medical Gear Outfitters.  SkinnyMedic is good people.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Rats are junk and CATs have been proven effective not only in testing but also in real world scenarios.

Lots of people alive today thanks to CATs.

Easy to use. Easy to train. Easy to maintain.

Don't waste your time with anything else unless you plan on getting advanced medical training. (I'm referring to the SOF-T. Another great tourniquet...just not as commonly used.)
View Quote
I like CATs and SOF-T's.  Never messed with a RAT, don't think I ever will.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I used a CAT from my IFAK on a motorcycle rider who was T-boned and had his lower right leg damn-near traumatically amputated. His wife said the med flight guys told her it saved his life.
View Quote
I keep CATs in my vehicles for accidents.  Hopefully I'll never need them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

Yep.
I'm just saying to stick with a actual North American Rescue made CAT. That is the only thing the US military officially uses. Doesn't matter what vendor you buy it from, as long it's an authentic NAR made tourniquet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
550 cord and M16 or M4 cleaning kit rod
View Quote
Hope you're planning on a few wraps of that 550 cord before you start applying pressure with your improvised windlass.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#11]
1” ratchet strap
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m not a medic or medically trained beyond CPR.

I have a CAT in my car kit bag and a SOFTT in my range bag at the recommendation of medics both military and civilian. I practice placing and positioning with both but fortunately I’ve never had to use one. Hope I never have to either.

I know nothing about the RAT and at this point don’t care to, either.

ETA I don’t have the SOFTT wide but I think I’m going to grab one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hope you're planning on a few wraps of that 550 cord before you start applying pressure with your improvised windlass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
550 cord and M16 or M4 cleaning kit rod
I just want to see him piece it together as he is bleeding out.

Save $30, or a life?

Train up is KISS level for the CAT, and it is an effective tool. I'm not saying that the military and first responders are ruhtards, but I is one, so...let's just say I speak from a position of authority and experience here.

Seriously though, when you are traing masses of indivviduals with little to no prior medical experience, you need effective LCD tools. The CAT fits those requirements. If you are not a ruhtard, apply what you know if it is applicable for the situation. But when you're carrying someone across a freshly plowed field to a waiting helicopter, whether that is because they got an arm torn off by a PTO or because they got shot, I want the guys who have no real med experience to have the most effective, simple tools available.

For what it does, the CAT (and SOFTT-W) is simple, fast, and cheap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Recon Medical makes a CAT type TQ that is excellent quality and half the price.  You can get them here.

https://www.amazon.com/Tourniquet-Lightweight-Pre-Hospital-Hemorrhage-Registration/dp/B01MS9PDA3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to see if we (at work) can obtain some of these for testing. I'll report back in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone got a recommendation on a put together kit to throw in the car? I've got a molle pouch w/ an assortment of stuff that I use in the range bag.

Like to buy something already put together to throw in the car.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm just saying to stick with a actual North American Rescue made CAT. That is the only thing the US military officially uses. Doesn't matter what vendor you buy it from, as long it's an authentic NAR made tourniquet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

Yep.
The ones linked at the top of this page from Recon Medical are just as good for half the price (or less if you buy in bulk). Get one and compare them side by side.

Not everyone has the funds to spend $30 for each TQ. With the money you save you can buy more (increasing the places you keep them and ensuring you have 1 when you need one) or put the savings towards something else.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone got a recommendation on a put together kit to throw in the car? I've got a molle pouch w/ an assortment of stuff that I use in the range bag.

View Quote
Buy a Tactical Response VOK, add Hyfin chest seals, and a CAT TQ. Then you’re GTG, should come out to like 120 or so dollars.

ETA: looks like the VOK is OOS. I would then suggest you buy some gauze (to pack wounds), a H- Bandage, Chest decompression needle (if you don’t know how to use it, maybe someone else near you does and can use it), quick clot gauze or sponge, CAT TQ, Hyfin chest seals, sharpie, and a size 28 NPA tube with lube, duct tape, and trauma sheers. I think that’s pretty complete.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is the following items I have in my blowout kits and IMO the quality of these items is very good.

Orca IFAK pouch (come in a variety of colors)

2 pack of the Recon medical gen 3 TQ

6 inch Israeli dressing These are singles but I carry 2 in each kit.

NAR vented chest seals (2pk)

Trauma sheers (2pk)

For tape I like this. Very rugged and sticks very well

Add whatever hemostatic agent you prefer. I prefer the tri fold style gauge, not the granular.

Also you can get some basic bandaging supplies like 4x4's, 5x9's, rolls of kling and/or Kerlix/sports wrap and so on at your local fatmart.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's also not CoTCCC recommended and a knock off of a real NAR CAT.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't care.

Jeff Kirkham is a good guy. Former SF too. Don't blame him for pimping his product.

I think I'll buy a couple of RATS for my bag.

View Quote
There's a difference between pimping your own product and misleading consumers by bashing your competition whose product is superior to your own.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this the same clown that wrote the article about how the AR15 is a terrible rifle?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Go check out the Readyman YT channel, watch some videos, then come back and tell me he's not a good guy. Check out the TwistRate channel too while you're at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Go check out the Readyman YT channel, watch some videos, then come back and tell me he's not a good guy. Check out the TwistRate channel too while you're at it.
Quoted:

Dang, son...did your momma invent the CAT or something? You seem to be taking this awfully personally.

Seriously, go check out the Readyman YouTube channel, watch a few videos, then come back and see if you can say one nice thing about Jeff Kirkham.

I'll even buy a CAT a long with my RATs.  Go on.

ETA....I see I better put my flame suit on.
Jeff? is that you?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Even if the RAT was okay, I so greatly dislike this sort of "marketing" (which certainly approaches if not crosses the line into actual libel or slander) that I would never buy a RAT at this point anyway.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is this the same clown that wrote the article about how the AR15 is a terrible rifle?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

Yep.
rescue-essentials.com is a reliable source for CAT's
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's not a good guy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep, still $30 a pop.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Wish I could find it now, but I believe in the medical training forum someone linked an article about TQs for kids.  Short version, based on "average" kids sizes, a CAT will work on a kid from about 3 months old and up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The ones linked at the top of this page from Recon Medical are just as good for half the price (or less if you buy in bulk). Get one and compare them side by side.

Not everyone has the funds to spend $30 for each TQ. With the money you save you can buy more (increasing the places you keep them and ensuring you have 1 when you need one) or put the savings towards something else.

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

Yep.

YMMV
Bullshit.  You find a fucking way.  You sell something.  You dont buy that 20th Glock.  You drink Folgers or Great Value and lay off the Starbucks.  You find a fucking way.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not a knock off, it is it's own product, does not purport itself to be a CAT, and has several improvements over the CAT like a metal windlass. It also uses Kevlar stitching, Sonic welding, ECT.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has it been tested CoTCCC?

I seriously question anyone buying TQs off of Amazon
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  You find a fucking way.  You sell something.  You dont buy that 20th Glock.  You drink Folgers or Great Value and lay off the Starbucks.  You find a fucking way.
View Quote
I've actually heard a lot of very good stuff about recon medical.  Not sure why they're not up there with the other big names?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing wrong with it if you check who is selling it.

Lots of knockoffs, but easy to spot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mUh cOtCcCCcCcVcvVa
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It is not a knock off, it is it's own product, does not purport itself to be a CAT, and has several improvements over the CAT like a metal windlass. It also uses Kevlar stitching, Sonic welding, ECT.
View Quote
It's a knockoff and you're butthurt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
mUh cOtCcCCcCcVcvVa
View Quote
Again... showing you are butthurt... and ignorant.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good advice.  I bet when your fluids are draining out you'd be willing to empty your bank account for the right equipment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
mUh cOtCcCCcCcVcvVa
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

mUh cOtCcCCcCcVcvVa
They by far set and are regarded as the standard for tactical first aid.

I'll go ahead and take their opinion of medical equipment into strong consideration.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have. The thing about kids too little for the TQ is that you can use hand to encircle their limb and place pressure on the brachial artery until you can place a piece of rolled gauze under the TQ to provide what is essentially a "pressure point" type of bleeding control (not di re ct pressure as I mentioned in a previous post).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what’s the best tq for 6 year old girl limbs?
You can tell most of the haters have never researched kid injuries or actually used them on kids.  The RAT and SOF T are the best for young kids where the windless ones are to large.  For adults the windless ones are far superior.
I have. The thing about kids too little for the TQ is that you can use hand to encircle their limb and place pressure on the brachial artery until you can place a piece of rolled gauze under the TQ to provide what is essentially a "pressure point" type of bleeding control (not di re ct pressure as I mentioned in a previous post).
@nick89302

Thanks I will experiment with that as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Feels very schily in here today.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed. It's a knockoff, right down to the red fabric on the tab.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with it if you check who is selling it.

Lots of knockoffs, but easy to spot.
View Quote
The issue with buying on Amazon is that the "seller" is not always who you think it is. Some knockoffs have legit companies listed as the seller, then when you go into the details you see the actual seller is someone else. It's also impossible to tell where the item comes from when it is "fulfilled by Amazon."
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^

Yep.

YMMV
@FAIL-SAFE Have you had the NAR and Recon medical TQ's in your hand side by side to compare them, yes or no?

I have and IMO they are the same as far as quality goes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#44]
A friend of mine owns a firearms/medical training company.

He trains police, ADA's, etc.

Well he had a class not too long ago about how to respond to active killers. 3 police and a few others show up.

He goes thru the day and at one point asks if any of them had trauma kits like tourniquets on them.

The police did and showed them to him. Much to everyone's alarm he announced they were fake knock-off's.

Police were like "these were department issued."

He says "ok. Try placing it on your leg and tighten it."

They got one rotation and the windlass snapped in half..

So not all tourniquets are good. If you see a website saying "ten tourniquets for $10", you had better flee the area.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought a bunch of CAT tourniquets as that's the one we're issued.

I'm not a doctor or a medic, so I just buy what I know will work.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@FAIL-SAFE Have you had the NAR and Recon medical TQ's in your hand side by side to compare them, yes or no?

I have and IMO they are the same as far as quality goes.
View Quote
A very trusted friend of mine has over 200 training applications with one and has yet to break it,  and not for lack of trying...

I'm very happy with them and I have a bag(s) with tons of real CATs SOFT-W, etc....
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#47]
My current two tourniquets are probably not for anything other than a very small child after reading what y’all said (no they aren’t RATs, just some quick release elastic thing).

After reading this thread I bought a four pack of the Recons off Amazon for $49 shipped to my door. I can’t even get two of the other ones for that. Even with the image of me or the kid bleeding to death I doubt my wife would have sprung for “hey honey can i blow $120 plus shipping on some things we might use one day hopefully never?” The original version of the Recon may not have been good but the current one with the aluminum windlass seems gtg from reading the reviews, some cops and ems folks have used the current version with good results.

I hear the “what’s your life worth?” argument, but I choose to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If this tq matches the description it will be perfectly adequate.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll second that.  Priced fair.  Ships fast.  Good videos too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A friend of mine owns a firearms/medical training company.

He trains police, ADA's, etc.

Well he had a class not too long ago about how to respond to active killers. 3 police and a few others show up.

He goes thru the day and at one point asks if any of them had trauma kits like tourniquets on them.

The police did and showed them to him. Much to everyone's alarm he announced they were fake knock-off's.

Police were like "these were department issued."

He says "ok. Try placing it on your leg and tighten it."

They got one rotation and the windlass snapped in half..

So not all tourniquets are good. If you see a website saying "ten tourniquets for $10", you had better flee the area.
View Quote
You should thoroughly check and test every tourniquet you have as soon as you buy it. I have checked every one I own (all the recon Medical ones linked) and placed every one on my arm and made sure it worked before I set them up for single hand use and storage.

They have an aluminum windlass, Kevlar stitching and are labeled with a lot number and mfg date.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top