User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pics &/or links to IFAK’s?...
View Quote
Here is what I did to help you get started... I also recommend a bleeding control training course.

Here are the Amazon costs if you buy peices:
Hyfin vented chest seal 2 pair  $17
2x Gen 7 cat tourniquet $29 each
Isreali bandage 2x$9 (OLAES is better)
Quik clot $20 ($40 combat gauze is better, but alot of regular gauze with approx 10 minutes of pressure works instead of quik clot with 3 min of pressure)
S rolled compressed gauze two pack $9
Trauma shears $13
Nasopharyngeal Airway (NPA) $7
6 Gloves & other PPE
Tape
Silver sharpie (writes visibly on all skin tones)
Bag $17- Compact Tactical MOLLE Rip-Away EMT Medical First Aid Utility Pouch 1000D Nylon Carlebben

I know this is not an expert kit, but it I think if is sufficient for a boring civilian like me. Feel free to provide feedback.

Edit- For those with IFAKs or similar bleeding control kits, do any of you carry a smaller kit in your pocket or ankle as part of your edc? I keep this kit in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesnt look like he's gonna make it...
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The reason I asked in response to your why question is because I am wondering how usefull restraints are for civilians. I agree it there are health and legal risks to restrain someone. What pros are there (if any) that out weigh the risks?

Edit- I ask because I am wondering if restraints are worth owning and carrying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With all this cuff talk, how many here keep some type of cuff (tuff ties for example) on their body when carrying or in their ifak?
I have restraints in my EMT bag.

And there is no way I am using them unless I can articulate that the person is actively a threat to me, himself, or others.  The possibility of him being a threat is not enough to justify it.

Restraining a person is a good way to be charged for battery and/or kidnapping.

I know.  It sounds nuts.
Quoted:

Why? I have no duty to arrest,  and I'm not endangering myself to try and restrain someone who just tried to harm me.. I'll cover him with my pistol until the police arrive...
The reason I asked in response to your why question is because I am wondering how usefull restraints are for civilians. I agree it there are health and legal risks to restrain someone. What pros are there (if any) that out weigh the risks?

Edit- I ask because I am wondering if restraints are worth owning and carrying.
Like I said, I have restraints in my bag.  For disclosure, I want to mention why I am in any of this.  I'm not some HSLD type, and I don't work on an ambulance.

I work as an Emergency Medical Response teacher.  I'm Fire Commissioner for a rural MS volunteer fire district that does run medical calls, and I am EMS Program Director, Administrator, and Lead Instructor for another rural Louisiana volunteer fire district that also runs medical calls.

100% of what I do in any EMS capacity outside of my teaching is volunteer, and we only exist due to the reality that rural communities must rely on volunteer first responders.

That said...

I've been in a few situations where it could have been prudent to retrain a person, but I did not do so.  If a threat exists, I instruct responders to remain out of danger until LEOs restrain, and I practice that in my own life.

I've treated more than a few people that were restrained by LEOs, however.  I just wasn't going to be the one to do it.

Maybe I am a little too callous, but my students joke that they are going to get a tattoo with my Three Maxims:

1.  The first life that you save is your own.
2.  Sometimes people die.
3.  Sometimes you can't do anything about #2.

You do the best that you can without putting yourself in unreasonable risk.  You let the cards fall as they may.

FYI-- and off-topic, I also tell my students that one man's hero is another person's failure.  I do not advocate for volunteer first responders to easily trade their lives for strangers.  It sounds great to be a "hero" but that dead hero leaves a wife and children with hardships that they'll never recover from.  He's not much of a hero to his family that needs him.  And I am sure that that person saved isn't going to set up a foundation to meet your family's needs while you are 6 feet under the dirt.

I tell students to carefully consider their responsibilities and commitments.  It sounds callous, but Truth doesn't have emotions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nope. My response to an attack will in all likelihood make such attempted aid completely useless.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77917/IMG_1686_PNG-773117.JPG
View Quote

Fuck that’s awesome.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Try to do harm to me or mine and you're waiting for the EMTs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Being untrained in first aid would it be frowned upon if tightened a tourniquet around his neck, good and tight to stop any bleeding.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Like I said, I have restraints in my bag.  For disclosure, I want to mention why I am in any of this.  I'm not some HSLD type, and I don't work on an ambulance.

I work as an Emergency Medical Response teacher.  I'm Fire Commissioner for a rural MS volunteer fire district that does run medical calls, and I am EMS Program Director, Administrator, and Lead Instructor for another rural Louisiana volunteer fire district that also runs medical calls.

100% of what I do in any EMS capacity outside of my teaching is volunteer, and we only exist due to the reality that rural communities must rely on volunteer first responders.

That said...

I've been in a few situations where it could have been prudent to retrain a person, but I did not do so.  If a threat exists, I instruct responders to remain out of danger until LEOs restrain, and I practice that in my own life.

I've treated more than a few people that were restrained by LEOs, however.  I just wasn't going to be the one to do it.

Maybe I am a little too callous, but my students joke that they are going to get a tattoo with my Three Maxims:

1.  The first life that you save is your own.
2.  Sometimes people die.
3.  Sometimes you can't do anything about #2.

You do the best that you can without putting yourself in unreasonable risk.  You let the cards fall as they may.

FYI-- and off-topic, I also tell my students that one man's hero is another person's failure.  I do not advocate for volunteer first responders to easily trade their lives for strangers.  It sounds great to be a "hero" but that dead hero leaves a wife and children with hardships that they'll never recover from.  He's not much of a hero to his family that needs him.  And I am sure that that person saved isn't going to set up a foundation to meet your family's needs while you are 6 feet under the dirt.

I tell students to carefully consider their responsibilities and commitments.  It sounds callous, but Truth doesn't have emotions.
View Quote
Good information
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No. I'm too busy stripping and making sure my gun is fully disassembled before LEO arrives and shoots me too.
View Quote
Probably this^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely, I keep 3 ounces of denatured alcohol and a box of strike anywhere matches in my IFAK just for that reason.

Seriously, no , fuck no.

Aside from the consideration this shithead was just trying to kill me, I'm not trained to render aid, don't have PPE, and am disinclined to get sued after I save him. There is no shortage of humans and this is a god example of one we don't need.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#10]
NO!

Next Question...
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here is what I did to help you get started... I also recommend a bleeding control training course.

Quik clot $20 ($40 combat gauze is better, but alot of regular gauze with approx 10 minutes of pressure works instead of quik clot with 3 min of pressure)
Trauma shears $13
6 Gloves & other PPE
Tape
Bag $17- Compact Tactical MOLLE Rip-Away EMT Medical First Aid Utility Pouch 1000D Nylon Carlebben

I know this is not an expert kit, but it I think if is sufficient for a boring civilian like me. Feel free to provide feedback.

Edit- For those with IFAKs or similar bleeding control kits, do any of you carry a smaller kit in your pocket or ankle as part of your edc? I keep this kit in my vehicle.
View Quote
I'm putting together an IFAK ankle kit for EDC.

1x SOFTT-W
1x Trauma Shear
1x HALO Seal
1x Celox Gauze (hemostatic)
1x Regular Gauze
1x Nitrile Gloves
1x Ryker AFAK

I'll add an NPA once I get training for it. Otherwise I'll fit the TQ and gloves in one pocket, gauze in one, hemostatic in another, CS in it's pocket, shears wherever.

Edit: always forget to list gloves.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're going to walk around with a first aid kit on your ankle?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1x SOFTT-W
1x Trauma Shear
1x HALO Seal
1x Regular Gauze
1x Ryker AFAK

I'll add an NPA once I get training for it. Otherwise I'll fit the TQ in one pocket, gauze in one, hemostatic in another, CS in it's pocket, shears wherever.
View Quote
Thanks.
Fyi the ryker afak link sends me to gauze
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
If I put the holes in the leaky motherfucker, I'm not going to patch them back up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1x SOFTT-W
1x Trauma Shear
1x HALO Seal
1x Regular Gauze
1x Ryker AFAK

I'll add an NPA once I get training for it. Otherwise I'll fit the TQ in one pocket, gauze in one, hemostatic in another, CS in it's pocket, shears wherever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trauma shears $13
6 Gloves & other PPE
Tape

1x SOFTT-W
1x Trauma Shear
1x HALO Seal
1x Regular Gauze
1x Ryker AFAK

NPAs are great.  They give you a perfectly good excuse to carry "lube" around with you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
A very small light one, yes. Ankle is the easiest place for me to carry one, I don't wear tight pants. Gun, mags, and knife is enough for the belt.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
No.  My IFAK is for me.

I - INDIVIDUAL
F - first
A - aid
K - kit

I will make exceptions for immediate family members and other people close to me.  Definitely not the guy who just tried to kill me though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

NPAs are great.  They give you a perfectly good excuse to carry "lube" around with you.
View Quote
Lol...  I plan to simply stick the NPA into the victims mouth to use their saliva as lube.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I was involved in a self-defense situation.  I'm not an EMT or a doctor by any stretch but I used to teach Self-Aid Buddy Care / Combat Care in the Air Force.  Once I realized the idiot was incapacitated I cleared his airway (he was choking on his own blood) and put pressure on his wounds so he wouldn't bleed out.  Couldn't find my fucking quick clot because I am lazy and didn't expect to be in a fight for my life that night so my shit is burried in a mountain of crap in a spare room.

I am glad he did not die.  It was difficult to explain to the police why even though I was in a fight for my life a moment later I rendered first-aid to that idiot.  The cops damn near killed me when they showed up but I have no hard feelings they didn't know who was who.

My opinion, when the threat is over, you should render aid if you can and it is safe to do so.  I guess my training just kicked in.  Glad that fucktard didn't die and believe me you, he isn't going to be coming around here trying to home invade my ass again.  He lost.  I think he learned his lesson.

Luckily I didn't catch aids or some shit, there was blood fucking everywhere.

I hope neither me or anyone else has to ever be in a situation like that again.  But shit happens.  I like to think that I did the right thing.

To answer the question I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If somebody does something like that to you, fuck them.  But if you happen to have the presence of mind to realize that the fight is over, you should help them if you can.  That is what God would want you to do.

My opinion.  It was a shit-sandwhich all around.  I hope nobody is ever stupid enough to come in my home and point a weapon at me ever again, for their sake.  If they do, I will do what needs to be done.  Nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks.
Fyi the ryker afak link sends me to gauze
View Quote
Whoops. Fixed it, thanks.

It's a very small, very simple kit. But I'm planning to carry it every day, and don't want to make it so big that I won't carry it. Additionally, I've very little training, so there's not an exceptional lot of gear that I can even use. Basic bandaging and bleeding control is about the extent of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol...  I plan to simply stick the NPA into the victims mouth to use their saliva as lube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha... I recently had the opportunity to explain why I had a tube of KY-Jelly in the door pocket of my truck.  It was an extra tube that I forgot to put away.

I'm exploring the option of using the "Fire and Ice" KY for added sensation.

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What did they say? (Aside from don't do it.)
View Quote
The gist of the advice in both cases was that if you had just appropriately employed deadly force then you should not disturb the scene by attempting to save the guy.
They also opined that if it was justified force, investigators might get the idea that you didn't believe such force was necessary if you tried to save the guy.
They further pointed out the possible existence of secondary threats, that should have your full attention.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#23]
...and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout: 'Save us!'.

And I'll look down and whisper: 'No.'
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A very small light one, yes. Ankle is the easiest place for me to carry one, I don't wear tight pants. Gun, mags, and knife is enough for the belt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know people who carry an ankle first aid kit. Sure it is slightly inconvenient, but I think the analogy of conceal carrying a pistol applies. Just like it is better to have a gun on you than in your car, it is better to have a small ifak on you than in your car. If you sever an artery, you want to stop that spurting cherry red blood asap (within a couple minutes) before your body loses too much blood. Or for chest wounds, you want to minimize air entering as much as possible because it affects breathing, so applying a chest seal sooner is better.

Why carry a First Aid Kit
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
As a cop I would secure the individual, then render aid until relieved.

As an old retired guy nope.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#27]
No.  That's not my job.  The attacker shouldn't have been doing what he was doing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's a pertinent quote from the book Dune by Frank Herbert:

"You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap? There's an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind."
Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam, testing Paul Atreides with the Gom Jabbar.

No way would I render aid.

I wouldn't even call the EMTs for a while in order to give the attacker a chance to die, and thereby spare his future victims the trouble.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1x SOFTT-W
1x Trauma Shear
1x HALO Seal
1x Regular Gauze
1x Nitrile Gloves
1x Ryker AFAK

I'll add an NPA once I get training for it. Otherwise I'll fit the TQ and gloves in one pocket, gauze in one, hemostatic in another, CS in it's pocket, shears wherever.

Edit: always forget to list gloves.
View Quote
Knowing a SOFTT-W is more difficult to put on yourself one handed, why not get a CAT7?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quite simply, no.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#31]
No.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Not a fucking chance in hell.

My story will be the only one told.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A very small light one, yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A very small light one, yes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#34]
"Don't worry, scro. Help is only minutes away..."
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Hate to be bringing reality into this, but a single LEO won't give any aid until help arrives and the bad guy can be safely cuffed- minimum 1 cuffing/1 covering with firearm.  More likely it will be more LEO's than two before that happens.  Reason- too unsafe to do it by yourself....

So it would be pretty damn unlikely I would render aid to an armed assailant off duty, whom I don't have the ability to cuff, nor anyone to cover in case he really is not incapacitated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#36]
My attacker laid on the floor bleeding out , I called and asked for an ambulance in addition to the cops I had already called for. Made zero effort to perform any sort of first aid on him. Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Knowing a SOFTT-W is more difficult to put on yourself one handed, why not get a CAT7?
View Quote
Saw pros and cons for both, couldn't decide, and the SOFTT-W is what I got for Christmas (early with fam).

In messing with it a bit so far, doesn't seem that bad to get on my own leg or arm.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#38]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQzskI77vvI

This video is older, but the security guard certainly didn't seem to give 2 shits if the would be robbers lived. I think the exact quote was "I don't give a fuck if you die here right now". Ended up just fine for him.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes, I'd use my tourniquet around the neck, gotta stop the bleeding!
View Quote

Was coming here to post this
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I think that it would be extremely situation-dependent for me. I could see circumstances where my decision could go either way. If there are other victims in need of aid, the assailant would be very far down the list of those awaiting what little first aid I could provide.

In all reality, I'd probably be too amped up on adrenaline to think clearly enough to even consider rendering aid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have restraints in my EMT bag.

And there is no way I am using them unless I can articulate that the person is actively a threat to me, himself, or others.  The possibility of him being a threat is not enough to justify it.

Restraining a person is a good way to be charged for battery and/or kidnapping.

I know.  It sounds nuts.
View Quote
I don't have restraints, but in this scenario I'd at least be ok to use them. While I'm not a cop, under VA law I am a "conservator of the peace" and therefore have statutory arrest powers. If I've got good cause to shoot someone, it's pretty safe to bet I've got PC to arrest.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Nah
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#44]
It may be evidence of consciousness of guilt and compromise your self-defense claim.  Wait for EMS.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn’t unless he was cuffed. If he’s cuffed, my claims of self defense is out the window. If it’s not legally justifiable self defense, I wouldn’t have shot him.

So no, I don’t see a realistic scenario where I would render aid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I don’t carry handcuffs in my edc so I have no way to secure him or her, so no I am keeping my distance. Once he or she is in cuffs then MAYBE I’d offer up my Med kit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Absolutely I would. It might be the piece of evidence that keeps my ass out of jail.
View Quote
Why do you think that ?

If deadly force was justified, how does treating the bad guy change that ?

There are too many factors to consider, like how bad are they hurt vs how bad you or a loved one is hurt.  Your small children in the area that need looking after. Other possible bad guys, etc.
My general response would be, "Hope EMS gets here soon."
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Several years back American Rifleman in the Armed Citizen section had a entry about someone who stopped an intruder breaking into his house. He had the guy on the ground and the guy kept moving around and the homeowner would tell him to stay still or he'd shoot. Cops get there, cuff the guy and when they stood him up he had a gun in his waist band.

If the homeowner would have approached the guy things might have turned out much differently. If have to shoot someone he's either going to be DRT or bleed out while I makes sure he doesn't try to re-start the attack. I'll be stand well back while I wait for the cops, however long it takes. Cops can give him first aid when they get there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Tourniquet around neck to stop the bleeding?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#50]
are anchor shots considered rendering aid? Because that's all the aid I'm certified to render.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top