Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is one of the reasons they keep wanting to get rid of cash.  That way they could eliminate the black market and squeeze people for all the taxes they want.

Black markets are just a sign that the system of above board commerce isn't serving the market.
View Quote
So long as government officials, elected or otherwise,  are crooked, envelopes stuffed with cash will remain a means of exchange.

Don't ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yet GD tells me that if pot is legalized and taxed then all the criminal behavior that surrounds the drug trade will disappear.

Call me NOT surprised.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Buttleggers love New York.

That's because it is fertile ground for their illegal activities, since it is now more expensive than ever to buy smokes in the Big Apple.

New York has "the worst smuggling problem in America," said Scott Drenkard, with the Tax Foundation.

The least one can now legally pay for a pack in New York City is $13, which was recently raised from $10.50.

"For someone who smokes cigarettes regularly, cigarettes [for a month] can cost as much as two months' worth of groceries, family cell phone bills for a year, or a vacation," according to Dr. Mary Travis Bassett, New York City Health and Mental Hygiene Commissioner.

Cigarette taxes and a new minimum price rule have raised the price of a pack by about 200 percent over the past decade.
Yet GD tells me that if pot is legalized and taxed then all the criminal behavior that surrounds the drug trade will disappear.

Call me NOT surprised.
If pot if taxed at a low rate that would not be a detriment to the market. But high taxes on anything hurt. If pot was taxed at let's say.... 2.5% -4.5%. People wouldn't have a problem. But some places tax it far higher than that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The article says:

"With already almost the highest cigarette taxes in the nation, New York officials haven’t added more taxes. Instead, they now require sellers raise the minimum price of a pack by $2.50."

Where are the taxes higher and why aren't we hearing about that place?

Not that I give a shit, tried smoking as a kid(doesn't everyone?) and decided to pass.
View Quote
LOL, WTF, same difference, tax is based on the sale price, so NY makes them raise the price, tax it. Everyone wins!
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is one of the reasons they keep wanting to get rid of cash.  That way they could eliminate the black market and squeeze people for all the taxes they want.

Black markets are just a sign that the system of above board commerce isn't serving the market.
View Quote
And a barter system would spring up with a cryptocurrency. Tide Laundry Detergent was very popular for small level ghetto drug dealers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LOL, WTF, same difference, tax is based on the sale price, so NY makes them raise the price, tax it. Everyone wins!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The article says:

"With already almost the highest cigarette taxes in the nation, New York officials haven't added more taxes. Instead, they now require sellers raise the minimum price of a pack by $2.50."

Where are the taxes higher and why aren't we hearing about that place?

Not that I give a shit, tried smoking as a kid(doesn't everyone?) and decided to pass.
Someone should sue the state for price gouging.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And a barter system would spring up with a cryptocurrency. Tide Laundry Detergent was very popular for small level ghetto drug dealers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you please explain that?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Absolutely. There is plenty of video documenting the procedure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will the NYPD choke me to death for selling them?
Absolutely. There is plenty of video documenting the procedure.
And I'm sure they have a HowTo guide for the dummies.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Did ny beat down the Indian reservations on the tax? I thought the reservations used to offer mail order cigs with the bonus of no tax. All the states went nuts over the loss of the revenue and a bunch threatened to sue the reservations or something.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Yeah, but the stupid idiots are stealing post-ban Tide, not the pre-ban formula.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Even small differences create the issue.  For example, gas prices in Kansas are higher than in Missouri, so people that are close to the state line in the Kansas City area often come over from Kansas to Missouri to fill up and cigs are cheaper in MO too.  You can save several dollars per fill up and the same on cigs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Selling out of state cigarettes has been going on for a very long time, this isn't new.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can we sell them cigarette kits like selling magazines to California? Let them assemble them into a taxed box?

How about cutting 2/3rds of the length off?
View Quote
Guys here in Florida go to the Indian tribes reservations
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is nothing new. In North Carolina, Highway 301 and now I-95 has been lined with cigarette stores to catch the snowbirds shuttling back and forth between Florida and New York.
View Quote
Let’s just say stationed in NC back in the 70’s I made friends and got free rides to and from the Bronx

Managers from the PX would even help me load the van
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Call me NOT surprised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Buttleggers love New York.

That’s because it is fertile ground for their illegal activities, since it is now more expensive than ever to buy smokes in the Big Apple.

New York has “the worst smuggling problem in America,” said Scott Drenkard, with the Tax Foundation.

The least one can now legally pay for a pack in New York City is $13, which was recently raised from $10.50.

“For someone who smokes cigarettes regularly, cigarettes [for a month] can cost as much as two months’ worth of groceries, family cell phone bills for a year, or a vacation,” according to Dr. Mary Travis Bassett, New York City Health and Mental Hygiene Commissioner.

Cigarette taxes and a new minimum price rule have raised the price of a pack by about 200 percent over the past decade.

Call me NOT surprised.
No, some in GD.  Others, argue to not be retarded and to let the price go low enough to stomp out the black market, at least for pot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did ny beat down the Indian reservations on the tax? I thought the reservations used to offer mail order cigs with the bonus of no tax. All the states went nuts over the loss of the revenue and a bunch threatened to sue the reservations or something.
View Quote
FUAC tried, made threats, then skulked away with his tail between his legs when the Indian Tribes said "How about fuck you?  You tried this before, and it didn't end well for you."
Since he couldn't make the Indians do what he wanted, he went after the supply chain.  He did manage to get the law changed so that the distributors of smokes pay the tax before it goes to the stores, and pass the cost on to the store.  That meant the smokes were taxes before the Tribes got them when it came to name brands.  Their own smokes are made at a Reservation somewhere, so they just switched to only selling only their own brand, which is exempt from the tax.
I have no idea about the mail order, but I think that got shut down somehow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm sorry your friends are retarded. Please, offer them my condolences.

I should have said "many proponents of legalization with an IQ above their shoe size" instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's precious little criminal activity surrounding virtually ALL other property that ISN'T punitively taxed.

I don't think you've seen many proponents of legalization who ALSO champion the cause of levying taxes of multiple hundreds of percent over the value of the product in order to justify allowing it to be sold.

You'd have to be a moron to think people are going to put up with that shit.
Purely anecdotal, but a good number of friends who are proponents argue for taxing the shit out of marijuana while using the argument "if it's legalized, the weed dealers (and the associated problems) will go away.  They see it as a panacea of taxes paying for everything under the sun.  The "loosies" trade is glaring evidence that adding excessive sin taxes to legalized marijuana will likely lead to a similar result.  I tried weed in my younger days and didn't like it, but don't give a shit if they legalize it.  I just don't want to see excessive sin taxes if/when they do.  It won't "fix" anything.
I'm sorry your friends are retarded. Please, offer them my condolences.

I should have said "many proponents of legalization with an IQ above their shoe size" instead.
We pretty much all have them. They're great for entertainment and making me feel smarter than I really am.  I think they're getting this idea from others who are pushing for legalization in KY.  Many have made comments about how the tax revenue from legalized weed will cure all of our financial woes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Land of the Fee, Home of the Slave"
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got the car, who has the truck?

http://a63.tinypic.com/aelfdz.jpg
View Quote
I loved that car from when I saw Rocky buy one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Call me NOT surprised.
View Quote
Depends how much it is taxed, doesn’t it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can you please explain that?
View Quote
Trading drugs for shoplifted Tide and reselling it. IIRC
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sin taxes strike again.

Who would have thunk it? If you raise taxes on a product to an arbitrary punitive point that the price no longer reflects the value the people will simply avoid the taxes. Fucking crazy pills the world must be taking.

This shit is like economics 101 level stuff. I got a 5 year old kid that could see that coming.

Of course, NY has *always* felt they can overcome human behavior through Draconian enforcement, rather than reasonable laws. I'm sure it'll all work out, in the finish.

They'll just choke a few hundred "smugglers" to death and eventually their vision will b realized.
View Quote
Families will sue and get millions causing taxes to be drive up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok, you gotta explain this one to me...
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a link above but the TL DR version is it's viewed as a luxury brand, does in fact work very well and is expensive to low income people.  Hence there is a high relatively street value.   They sold for $5 cash or $10 worth of drugs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#26]
They created a market where there was none.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wait, hold up. Are you telling me that crazy high taxes on a high demand product that is easy to acquire and sell illegally, has a large black market? No way. I don't buy it. There has to be another reason.
View Quote
Your sarcasm is well-placed - no less an authority than Daniel Webster and John Marshall of the U.S. Supreme Court, reminded us in 1798 that "the power to tax is the power to destroy."
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They created a market where there was none.
View Quote
Yup.  The DoD has done the same in the Middle East where I will be hauling in my limit of smokes in order to sell them since the BX isn’t allowed to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#29]
When I was stationed at Bragg in the 70's, I remember vans toting cigarettes from NC to NY because of the taxes.  

Back then they were $0.35/pk in NC and $0.75/pk in NY.

They were essentially doubling their money.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Just do what my FIL does, he buys loose bags of tobacco and has a electric cigarette making machine.

By the time he buys everything he has about $2 in a pack of smokes.

I can get a pack for $5, but he likes making his own.

If a Pack was $13 here I would make my own or cut back on how many we smoke.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
... As if an addict is going to choose fresh kale over their pack of smokes, based solely on tax hikes, and suddenly turn into Warren Buffet.
View Quote
Crap man - don't post things like that while I'm taking a drink.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#32]
My FIL buys 16ozs of tobacco for $11 and 200 tubes for $2.79.

The electric cigarette making/loader costs $79.

So his cost per carton is $13 and he can make a pack in 20-30 mins even at 74yrs old.

He smokes about 1-2 cartons a month so $26 not including his time.

And you can even find the filter tobacco combination you like.

Not sure how loose bags of tobacco is priced in NY, but still I bet you could roll your own for half the price.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/UIGRSXK.gif
Stop making unreasonable laws, no item sold should have a 50% or high tax.

Imagine if there was a 50% ammo or firearm tax.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My FIL buys 16ozs of tobacco for $11 and 200 tubes for $2.79.

The electric cigarette making/loader costs $79.

So his cost per carton is $13 and he can make a pack in 20-30 mins even at 74yrs old.

He smokes about 1-2 cartons a month so $26 not including his time.

And you can even find the filter tobacco combination you like.

Not sure how loose bags of tobacco is priced in NY, but still I bet you could roll your own for half the price.
View Quote
Your math is all wonky.

16oz of tabaccy makes about 23 packs of cigs.

Your FIL spends about $00.70 per pack.

I spend just a touch more for tobacco here in Maine and my cost is $00.80 per pack.

ETA:  And it only takes me 4:30 to roll a pack with a non electric roller.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just do what my FIL does, he buys loose bags of tobacco and has a electric cigarette making machine.

By the time he buys everything he has about $2 in a pack of smokes.

I can get a pack for $5, but he likes making his own.

If a Pack was $13 here I would make my own or cut back on how many we smoke.
View Quote
My dad used to buy the filters w/ tubes and would fill them w/ tobacco.   Lots cheaper and he got to choose the tobacco.   His tool for it wasn't electric.  It was some plastic thing that you put the tube and tobacco and and it pushed it in.  Quick and easy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
do you suffer from acute and chronic bronchial asthma, obesity and hypertensive cardiovascular disease??
if you have all these problems and still decide to be a jackass and fight with them,possibly
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When I was stationed at Bragg in the 70's, I remember vans toting cigarettes from NC to NY because of the taxes.  

View Quote

1972 they were $0.10 a pack, we could get $0.50 a pack easy

Biggest sellers in the ghetto were Marlboro, Kools and Newport’s
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
do you suffer from acute and chronic bronchial asthma, obesity and hypertensive cardiovascular disease??
if you have all these problems and still decide to be a jackass and fight with them,possibly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who thinks it's jackassery to fight the tax collectors and their agents has a pretty rosy idea of the origins of this country.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biggest sellers in the ghetto were Marlboro, Kools and Newport's
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/55/34/c95534fec9731f1dc3c0b739313fc9c8.jpg
I never could find 28 count boxes.....
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#41]
“By some estimates, 80 percent of the cigarettes sold in New York City are sold illegally, either over the counter or in the backrooms of bodegas where a typical pack can sell for as little as $8 or $9 instead of the usual $13.”

http://abc7ny.com/news/exclusive-illegal-cigarettes-are-big-business-in-nyc/2094159/

“Rocky Mount police and the Bronx County, New York District Attorney's Office say the scheme involved people buying cigarettes in North Carolina and Virginia for about $50 a carton and then shipping them to the Bronx where cartons retail for about $130 each. The cheap smokes were then sold at bodegas and delis.

New York authorities say some 5,000 cartons of cigarettes a week were smuggled from North Carolina and Virginia.”

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Two-Rocky-Mount-men-among-21-indicted-in-New-York-cigarette-smuggling-scheme-428657043.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"By some estimates, 80 percent of the cigarettes sold in New York City are sold illegally, either over the counter or in the backrooms of bodegas where a typical pack can sell for as little as $8 or $9 instead of the usual $13."

http://abc7ny.com/news/exclusive-illegal-cigarettes-are-big-business-in-nyc/2094159/
View Quote
It's an interesting paradigm that NY is *so* concerned with forcing the taxation that they're willing to miss out on the actual MONEY from the taxes in an effort to *make* the populace pay a higher tax. They'd seemingly rather chase the criminals than collect the cash.

It's as if they've never seen a Laffer curve.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
“By some estimates, 80 percent of the cigarettes sold in New York City are sold illegally, either over the counter or in the backrooms of bodegas where a typical pack can sell for as little as $8 or $9 instead of the usual $13.”

View Quote
The PR’s who owned the bodegas at the time found counterfeit stamps to sell them by the pack
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#44]
“I can’t breaf”
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's an interesting paradigm that NY is *so* concerned with forcing the taxation that they're willing to miss out on the actual MONEY from the taxes in an effort to *make* the populace pay a higher tax. They'd seemingly rather chase the criminals than collect the cash.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"By some estimates, 80 percent of the cigarettes sold in New York City are sold illegally, either over the counter or in the backrooms of bodegas where a typical pack can sell for as little as $8 or $9 instead of the usual $13."

Or it's a case where they want everyone to be criminals.  They have no control over honest men.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
“I can’t breaf”
View Quote
You can’t pronounce “th”

I’m calling ICE
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

“Rocky Mount police and the Bronx County, New York District Attorney's Office say the scheme involved people buying cigarettes in North Carolina and Virginia for about $50 a carton and then shipping them to the Bronx where cartons retail for about $130 each. The cheap smokes were then sold at bodegas and delis.

New York authorities say some 5,000 cartons of cigarettes a week were smuggled from North Carolina and Virginia.”

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Two-Rocky-Mount-men-among-21-indicted-in-New-York-cigarette-smuggling-scheme-428657043.html
View Quote
Interestingly, their “as little as” price is still 50% higher than they go for here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Or it's a case where they want everyone to be criminals.  They have no control over honest men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While it's clever plot device in a novel, it's a silly thing to attribute to a municipality.

It's far more likely that the ruling class in NYC is inept, rather than diabolical.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Call me NOT surprised.
View Quote
You realize that cigs are taxed and sold in the entire rest of the country where this isn't a problem, right?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
While it's clever plot device in a novel, it's a silly thing to attribute to a municipality.

It's far more likely that the ruling class in NYC is inept, rather than diabolical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say corrupt rather than diabolical.   They have more options with criminals.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top