User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While it's clever plot device in a novel, it's a silly thing to attribute to a municipality.

It's far more likely that the ruling class in NYC is inept, rather than diabolical.
View Quote
I’m sorry, but to just blame it on the poor simpletons in city hall trying their best requires a level of disbelief I’m not capable of.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You can’t pronounce “th”

I’m calling ICE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“I can’t breaf”
You can’t pronounce “th”

I’m calling ICE
Hood rats selling loosies is nothing new.  Most people are smart enough not to stand around on street corners.  My buddy paid for a lot of med school by filling up u hauls with Virginia cigs and selling them in Conn. He sold them via his family’s business.  That wa the 1970’s
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Even small differences create the issue.  For example, gas prices in Kansas are higher than in Missouri, so people that are close to the state line in the Kansas City area often come over from Kansas to Missouri to fill up and cigs are cheaper in MO too.  You can save several dollars per fill up and the same on cigs.
View Quote
At the beginning of this year MO had the lowest cig tax rate in the country- 17 cents a pack. VA was the next cheapest.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can you please explain that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is one of the reasons they keep wanting to get rid of cash.  That way they could eliminate the black market and squeeze people for all the taxes they want.

Black markets are just a sign that the system of above board commerce isn't serving the market.
And a barter system would spring up with a cryptocurrency. Tide Laundry Detergent was very popular for small level ghetto drug dealers.
Can you please explain that?
When you think about it, Tide hits all the points for currency in a low income area.

- It's desirable, everyone needs it.
- It holds a pretty stable value, doesn't fluctuate largely.
- It's easily recognizable by both look and smell for counterfeit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, but to just blame it on the poor simpletons in city hall trying their best requires a level of disbelief I'm not capable of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While it's clever plot device in a novel, it's a silly thing to attribute to a municipality.

It's far more likely that the ruling class in NYC is inept, rather than diabolical.
I'm sorry, but to just blame it on the poor simpletons in city hall trying their best requires a level of disbelief I'm not capable of.
I prefer jhereg's clarification.

Corruption, incompetence and rampant do-gooderism in the name of the nanny-state are better explanations than plain old evil intentions.

There a LOT of relatively smart people who, in the name of "doing what's right" make some pretty bone-headed policies.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Corruption, incompetence and rampant do-gooderism in the name of the nanny-state are better explanations than plain old evil intentions.

There a LOT of relatively smart people who, in the name of "doing what's right" make some pretty bone-headed policies.
View Quote
I guess it depends on your definitions.  I consider corruption and rampant do-gooderism in the name of the nanny-state to be evil.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess it depends on your definitions.  I consider corruption and rampant do-gooderism in the name of the nanny-state to be evil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it. When I think of evil, bad policy isn't what springs immediately to mind.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yet GD tells me that if pot is legalized and taxed then all the criminal behavior that surrounds the drug trade will disappear.

Call me NOT surprised.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Buttleggers love New York.

That’s because it is fertile ground for their illegal activities, since it is now more expensive than ever to buy smokes in the Big Apple.

New York has “the worst smuggling problem in America,” said Scott Drenkard, with the Tax Foundation.

The least one can now legally pay for a pack in New York City is $13, which was recently raised from $10.50.

“For someone who smokes cigarettes regularly, cigarettes [for a month] can cost as much as two months’ worth of groceries, family cell phone bills for a year, or a vacation,” according to Dr. Mary Travis Bassett, New York City Health and Mental Hygiene Commissioner.

Cigarette taxes and a new minimum price rule have raised the price of a pack by about 200 percent over the past decade.
Yet GD tells me that if pot is legalized and taxed then all the criminal behavior that surrounds the drug trade will disappear.

Call me NOT surprised.
Yeah, damn those violent cigarette smuggling cartels.

Yes, I'm sure if you really give it that New York effort you can find a way to make something legal but almost as bad as illegal. Or you could not go full retard, treat it like anything else, and not have an issue.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Guys here in Florida go to the Indian tribes reservations
View Quote
Same in NY.  My Dad would go to the Rez all the time for cigs and gas.  The Senecas tell NYS to FOAD with their taxes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stop making unreasonable laws, no item sold should have a 50% or high tax.

Imagine if there was a 50% ammo or firearm tax.
View Quote
You realize there is a 10%-11% Excise Tax on all firearms and ammunition right?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ok, you gotta explain this one to me...
View Quote
Someone linked an article that explains it pretty well. A premium product that is hard to police on a store level gets stolen and fenced in the ghetto. I heard people where selling it by the laundry load at ghetto laundromats.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Welcome to.....always.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
NYC Cigarette smuggling and sales rampant with new taxes...
Welcome to.....always.
I know first hand this is how a lot of Marines at Camp Lejeune used to pay for leave in the Big Apple, so it's kinda patriotic for them to raise ciggy taxes, don't you think?
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do they come in some sort of box? Seems like they would be easy to crush and hard to transport. Or do you just buy 1 cigarette to smoke it on the spot?
View Quote
No, they bust open a regular pack of cigs and sell each one individually for folks who can't afford the pack.  Usually they leave the store and light up although they might buy a few for later and keep them in an old empty pack.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Even small differences create the issue.  For example, gas prices in Kansas are higher than in Missouri, so people that are close to the state line in the Kansas City area often come over from Kansas to Missouri to fill up and cigs are cheaper in MO too.  You can save several dollars per fill up and the same on cigs.
View Quote
Because one has no sales tax, and the other has low vehicle registration fees, the Oregon/Washington border has some interesting dynamics as well.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
do you suffer from acute and chronic bronchial asthma, obesity and hypertensive cardiovascular disease??
if you have all these problems and still decide to be a jackass and fight with them,possibly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will the NYPD choke me to death for selling them?
do you suffer from acute and chronic bronchial asthma, obesity and hypertensive cardiovascular disease??
if you have all these problems and still decide to be a jackass and fight with them,possibly
I'm not a fan of NYPD in. the .least. ,,,,, but this is the correct answer.
NYPD didn't choke the life of of him: His obese, fat ass died of his own poor life choices.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop making unreasonable laws, no item sold should have a 50% or high tax.

Imagine if there was a 50% ammo or firearm tax.
Yep, but it's not 50% like the cigarette tax
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your math is all wonky.

16oz of tabaccy makes about 23 packs of cigs.

Your FIL spends about $00.70 per pack.

I spend just a touch more for tobacco here in Maine and my cost is $00.80 per pack.

ETA:  And it only takes me 4:30 to roll a pack with a non electric roller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My FIL buys 16ozs of tobacco for $11 and 200 tubes for $2.79.

The electric cigarette making/loader costs $79.

So his cost per carton is $13 and he can make a pack in 20-30 mins even at 74yrs old.

He smokes about 1-2 cartons a month so $26 not including his time.

And you can even find the filter tobacco combination you like.

Not sure how loose bags of tobacco is priced in NY, but still I bet you could roll your own for half the price.
Your math is all wonky.

16oz of tabaccy makes about 23 packs of cigs.

Your FIL spends about $00.70 per pack.

I spend just a touch more for tobacco here in Maine and my cost is $00.80 per pack.

ETA:  And it only takes me 4:30 to roll a pack with a non electric roller.
Thanks

Never was good at math and he is in his 70s

Maybe when he told me 20-30 he meant a carton.

Point was as you explained its way cheaper to roll your own.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
NYPD didn't choke the life of of him: His obese, fat ass died of his own poor life choices.

Jay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will the NYPD choke me to death for selling them?

Jay
If Garner would have kicked up some of his profits or moved his business away from the bodega, he would be alive today still selling loosies

Cops don’t give two shits about loosies, probably some of them buy loosies

Someone ratted him out and complained

Pantalones was plainclothes

Big fucking crimes all the fuck around and they waste plainclothes to get fare jumpers and loosies

Real cops would laugh
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#19]
It’s against the law to sell loosies but anybody in the ghetto after they see your face and know who you are even the bodegas will sell you loosies
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Their pretty high here to due to the added taxes, maybe $11.00+/pack or thereabouts. I used to buy mine from the reservation till they started wanting more wampum. Like ammunition, I just started to make my own. It's really a no brainer to do. Get a machine, tubes and tobacco. Most machines work the same way, place the tobacco where it goes, attach a tube (the paper part preformed, with the filter attached if you use them) and either crank or turn a handle. done.

I use a Powermatic 1 and have been using the same one for years. They go for around $50.00 if you look around. Tubes and tobacco I can get locally but prefer to send away (smokers outlet) as they have a really good variety and even with shipping is cheaper than here. Even getting the tubes and tobacco here, it runs me about 95¢/pack. It takes less than 15 minutes to roll 4-5 packs while watching the tube.

I've been smoking for decades and do agree it's a stupid habit, though I'm not obnoxious with it in non-smokers presence nor do I not dispose of them properly but for just a short payout up front and what you recoup (say $90 startup you get that back three times over before you need to buy the tubes and tobacco again without the cost of the machine and very little time) it's silly not to.

To put it in perspective, think of it in re-loading. You already have the press, all you need is the dies, primers, powder and bullets. The dies are permanent, the shells for a while and the others you need to resupply. Your reloading to save some money because you're using a round that goes for almost a couple bucks a pop. I have some calibers that I may save 60% the cost of factory but I know of none that will save me 85+%. If proportionately speaking, that $11/pack vs what I make them for is like that $2.00 round costing me about 17¢. In New York, it would be getting it for 14+¢. A box of 20 will cost you $40.00 and me $3.40. In New York, $2.80
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can buy store brand smokes here for less than $3 per pack, I can only imagine that the scale of the black market has increased tremendously. What would have been a few hundred bucks profit then could be tens of thousands now.

With that kind of money on the line, I imagine the big crime syndicates and God only knows what other sorts of low life's have gotten involved. Hell, given the penalties or lack thereof, sounds like better money than drugs or liquor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was stationed at Bragg in the 70's, I remember vans toting cigarettes from NC to NY because of the taxes.  

Back then they were $0.35/pk in NC and $0.75/pk in NY.

They were essentially doubling their money.  
I can buy store brand smokes here for less than $3 per pack, I can only imagine that the scale of the black market has increased tremendously. What would have been a few hundred bucks profit then could be tens of thousands now.

With that kind of money on the line, I imagine the big crime syndicates and God only knows what other sorts of low life's have gotten involved. Hell, given the penalties or lack thereof, sounds like better money than drugs or liquor.
Across state lines should be the BATF
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#23]
“Score us a loose, bru?”

“Those things’ll kill ya’, bru.”

“Yah-yah, but only if I live, right?”

POW!!!

“That’s for breaking my TV, bru...”
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
No doubt. The Sopranos had a subplot of Chrissy running them from NC but the bodegas wouldn't forge the tax stamp.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
A lot of guys used to smuggle smokes around here but it was really small time mostly because that's all the market could sustain. It works great for the consumer who "has a guy" and that usually means an individual who sells to a group of individuals. There isn't the barrier to entry that drugs have where you need to cultivate a supply chain. You just drive South and buy cartons. The store isn't doing anything illegal selling you cases of smokes at retail so they don't give a shit. So lots of guy buy a trunk full of smokes once a week or month, then go sell them by the carton to their friends and co-workers. Stores buy illegal smokes too, but even that is either small time or gets busted pretty quick when someone finds out a completing store has smokes without stamps, or the city runs the numbers and sees Sam's bodega makes x in total sales but the tax revenue from the cigarettes is way lower than other stores with similar overall revenue.

Not sure if that applies to NYC, but that's how it was here for a while before the surrounding states upped their cigarette taxes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A lot of guys used to smuggle smokes around here but it was really small time mostly because that's all the market could sustain. It works great for the consumer who "has a guy" and that usually means an individual who sells to a group of individuals. There isn't the barrier to entry that drugs have where you need to cultivate a supply chain. You just drive South and buy cartons. The store isn't doing anything illegal selling you cases of smokes at retail so they don't give a shit. So lots of guy buy a trunk full of smokes once a week or month, then go sell them by the carton to their friends and co-workers. Stores buy illegal smokes too, but even that is either small time or gets busted pretty quick when someone finds out a completing store has smokes without stamps, or the city runs the numbers and sees Sam's bodega makes x in total sales but the tax revenue from the cigarettes is way lower than other stores with similar overall revenue.

Not sure if that applies to NYC, but that's how it was here for a while before the surrounding states upped their cigarette taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would spread them out thru 4 or 5 bodegas

The bodegas are somewhat legit and don’t want cops or tax people investigating, they would take them and get rid of the quick

I had no shortage of help either with what I didn’t sell, I sure as shit would not be out there selling loosies

It is profitable for a van full of cases of smokes
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Smile and wave with the windows up and a/c fan on high as you drive by
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#28]
As a young Marine in the 80’s I knew a guy that bought NC cigarettes by the case and mailed them to his cousin in the Bronx.

Cousin would set up a TV tray just outside of a subway station at evening rush hour. He sold out within minutes.

Guy went to the field and asked me to mail them to cousin. I made a few bucks too.

I lived in Spain and cigarettes were five bucks a pack.  At the PX they were less than a buck.  We had ration cards for each DOD adult.  Ten cartons a month sold out in town went fast as hell for a great profit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As a young Marine in the 80’s snip.....

I lived in Spain and cigarettes were five bucks a pack.  At the PX they were less than a buck.  We had ration cards for each DOD adult.  Ten cartons a month sold out in town went fast as hell for a great profit.
View Quote
In the 70's, I found Zippos to be the coin of the realm. I'd fill up one of my Alice pockets with them. They were dirt cheap but worth their weight in gold when out and about. I still had one of them up until about 15 years ago. There was no finish left on it but I didn't care. We were at a company party and I left it on the table along with my cigarettes and other stuff to talk with some coworkers. When I got back someone jacked it. I hope it means as much to them as it did to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks

Never was good at math and he is in his 70s

Maybe when he told me 20-30 he meant a carton.

Point was as you explained its way cheaper to roll your own.
View Quote
It's good you don't know these things Fal.  You will live a long and prosperous life.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top