Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Rip it up because the bills probably have slave owner pictures.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is this even in the front of OP's mind

Wifey comes home with found money "ok honey, lemme post on AR15.com and see what we should do!"

What you should have done is banged her, made her cook dinner and clean up,  banged her again and then TAKEN the money and gone to the bar.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If less than $100.00 keep it, if more turn in to store.
View Quote
So they can keep it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I found $40 laying in the middle of the grocery aisle this year.

I just went up to the store's customer service desk and left my name/number and told them that if someone reported that they lost some money, they could contact me.

I didn't tell them how much or the denominations.

About 15 minutes later, someone called and asked if I had found $40.  They were very happy to get it back.
View Quote
Very good
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rip it up because the bills probably have slave owner pictures.
View Quote
That was why the wallet was tossed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love this place. If it were anything else people would call it stealing if op kept it but cash money finders keepers!!!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really never understood "turning it in"
Yea. Not being an ass is a tough concept sometimes. 
I love this place. If it were anything else people would call it stealing if op kept it but cash money finders keepers!!!!!!
If you turn it in to the store, an employee could pocket it.  If you turn it in to the police, the only way they can find the owner is through surveillance video.  Police and the store likely won't put a ton of effort into coming through surveillance video for found money.  The money will likely end up in the city's general fund eventually.

Keep it if you can't find the owner.  Leave your number at the store.  If someone can call you and tell you how much, return the money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you turn it in to the store, an employee could pocket it.  If you turn it in to the police, the only way they can find the owner is through surveillance video.  Police and the store likely won't put a ton of effort into coming through surveillance video for found money.  The money will likely end up in the city's general fund eventually.

Keep it if you can't find the owner.  Leave your number at the store.  If someone can call you and tell you how much, return the money.
View Quote
OP, is almost doing it right... But really all wrong....  Calling the PO PO= DEAD WRONG, Giving the money to the Store = wrong, but the store manager or whomever took the cash probably was thrilled!  

OP, If you want to be the good guy, tell the store manager you found a bit of cash and leave a number so that if someone calls missing it can contact you. Don't tell the store the amount.

OP, my last advise is too late, but this advice isn't. Post pic's of the spouse, its the law here! Save what humility you have left in this world.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tell the store manager that you found some money in the parking lot but dont tell him how much. Leave your phone number and if the owner can identify how much it is, return it to them. If you dont get a call, keep the money.
View Quote
This is the right answer.  That money could have been some rich person's pocket change, in which case they'll likely either not miss it, or go, "Hey, I must have dropped some cash, oh well."

Or it could have been some single mother's electric bill money.  Or some poor widow's grocery money.  In any event, it's not my money until I've made what I consider to be a decent attempt at finding the rightful owner.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless there's a name attached to it, such as in a wallet, I'd keep it.  Money is money, I don't turn in a penny or any amount I find.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Found these in the middle of a busy highway the other day. Have no idea how to even attempt to find the owners. Figure they fell off an RV as someone was headed north for the weekend. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Turn it into the store and you just made the employees day because it's going right into their pocket.

Go enjoy a nice meal.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Found $10 on the floor at the grocery store 2 weeks ago.. It was right in front of the service desk.  It was dead-to-rights mine.

Wife said - we should turn it in.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I would turn it in…
…to a nice meal with me and my wife

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just went up to the store's customer service desk and left my name/number and told them that if someone reported that they lost some money, they could contact me.

About 15 minutes later, someone called and asked if I had found $40.  They were very happy to get it back.
View Quote
Good way to go.

You could also donate it if you don't hear back and pay it forward.

Or just buy whiskey
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
BEST way to handle it is notify the store that you found a little cash. Leave your number and let them know if someone calls and asks, they will have to say exactly how much, and what kind of bills. Not really unreasonable, as it IS cash.. only way to really "describe" it.

My wife once took her wedding rings off to put on lotion, in the car. She forgot they were on her lap. We went to a science museum. She only noticed them missing that night, when she went to put them up. She remembered having taken them off for lotion. She called the museum. Some VERY nice lady found them, and notified the staff there. Left her phone number. My wife had to describe them EXACTLY before the woman agreed to return them to her, and I do NOT blame her one bit.  

We were very lucky that someone so honest went through the pains. Can't really know if we would have gotten them back had she just handed them over to someone from the museum. I'd like to think so, but..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Eh, a couple years ago, my wife and son found a hundred dollar bill in a supermarket parking lot.

They turned it in and left their phone number with the manager.

They received a call later in the day and the gentlemen who lost it gave my son a twenty-five dollar reward.

Sometimes good souls pass
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/211099/IMG_20170823_213723-288651.JPG

Found these in the middle of a busy highway the other day. Have no idea how to even attempt to find the owners. Figure they fell off an RV as someone was headed north for the weekend. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
View Quote
I'm thinking whatever RV those fell off is the "winner" in that scenario. Which makes you... 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Turn it into the store and you just made the employees day because it's going right into their pocket.

Go enjoy a nice meal.
View Quote
And you know that's exactly what'll happen too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tell the store manager that you found some money in the parking lot but dont tell him how much. Leave your phone number and if the owner can identify how much it is, return it to them. If you dont get a call, keep the money.
View Quote
This. Wait a week or so to see if anyone claims it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

$150.  
View Quote
Keep it.

If you turn it in, someone else is going to pocket it.

If it was a big bag of cash, or had some identifying documents with it, then yeah try to find owner/turn in.

$150 cash, keep it and forget about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
^^^ easy win
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The store manager put it in a deposit box and said nobody had called yet.  Someone will probably pocket it but that's beyond my wife's control now.  My daughters were with my wife so just another reason to turn the money in.   
View Quote
Good effort, I'll give you that.

But, it is important to teach kids to be wise with money, and not, pardon me OP, naively honest.  They need to learn that dealing with money demands exceptional care to avoid losing it or being cheated.  

Most likely, unfortunately, somebody in the store will end up with the money.

The proper response should have been to give your phone number to the MGR , telling him that you found a small amount of money in the parking lot.  If the person who calls can identify the amount and the denominations......you arrange returning it to them.  That is what your daughters should witness.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Just this afternoon, I saw a 5 gallon can of gas roll off a landscaping trailer in an intersection, I was waiting on the light to make a u turn. Landed just right and slid and didnt spill. I had my son hop out and grab it and put it in the back of the truck, but the owner was long gone. I don't mind, as at that time I was going to the Uhaul place to get a car dolly, to trailer his wrecked car to the house. The car we bought him in February, which he wrecked in March, repaired, wrecked again Tuesday when someone pulled out in front of him, and then rear ended a BMW this AM. Ironically he was on his way to the Navy recruiters office to set up a trip to MEPS.
SO yeah, got me some free gas to offset the good hands Allstate is gonna use to stick it in my ass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just this afternoon, I saw a 5 gallon can of gas roll off a landscaping trailer in an intersection, I was waiting on the light to make a u turn. Landed just right and slid and didnt spill. I had my son hop out and grab it and put it in the back of the truck, but the owner was long gone. I don't mind, as at that time I was going to the Uhaul place to get a car dolly, to trailer his wrecked car to the house. The car we bought him in February, which he wrecked in March, repaired, wrecked again Tuesday when someone pulled out in front of him, and then rear ended a BMW this AM. Ironically he was on his way to the Navy recruiters office to set up a trip to MEPS.
SO yeah, got me some free gas to offset the good hands Allstate is gonna use to stick it in my ass.
View Quote
Could be a piss tank mixed with a bit of gas, ready to be burned.  Where do you think those gardners piss when they are out working all day?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

$150.  
View Quote
NO WAY am I turning that in.

You go to the store and tell the manager you found a sum of money in the parking lot, if someone comes looking for it have them contact you.  Call the police tell them you found a sum of money in the parking lot if someone comes looking for it have them contact you and wait.

You turn that in anywhere and it's gone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not only Smart but Honorable . Well Done
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I would just keep it . Does that make me a bad person
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#28]
We get a lot of found money in my store. It goes to a fund site when deposited into our money machine and it goes on the stores journal. If someone comes looking all we have to do is look it up.

Here is a tip though if you find money in a big box store. Give the money to a manager in a camera shot (service desk, registers, main entrances).  It's on video and managers at my store will lose their job for pocketing found cash. Any employee would.  

I just found a credit card today and $70 two days ago. Older lady claimed the cash. Credit card had not been claimed when I left work today. We are one of the busiest stores in the country and we find a lot of money, phones purses, etc.

But most folks don't claim money. They figure it's gone. We keep it and last month alone we deposited around $900 in found money. It's there for claiming but folks don't.  I have no idea how much money is kept by employees that find it. But I bet it's a lot.  

Don't ask how much weed and meth I find.  It's a lot. All around the self checkouts. People Lose it when pulling out money of thier pockets. I look it up on video. I could have a really nice gun fund if I resold that shit...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does she turn it into the store manager or call the police department?  
View Quote

I once found a $50 dollar bill at Kofa range,YPG, at a IWBA confrence shoot.

Could not give that bill away.

Ended up "wasting" the afternoon gabbing with Martin Fackler.

Best $50.00 I ever found.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Unless it is a bag full of stacks of hundred finders keepers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you saw the person drop it, notify them. If not, you just got yourself some money. There's no way to get it back to the right person unless there's video and someone knows them.
View Quote
This. Keep that shjt, OP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#32]
[b]Quoted:Don't ask how much weed and meth I find.  It's a lot. All around the self checkouts. People Lose it when pulling out money of thier pockets. I look it up on video. I could have a really nice gun fund if I resold that shit...
View Quote
Has anyone ever come back looking for it? Lost & Found? I want to believe...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Finders keepers losers weepers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:54:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd turn it over to the police before the store manager

Store manager has no legal obligation to return it if not claimed.

Hand over to police and inform the store manager it's been turned over to the police
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#35]

If I find money I keep it.  Finders keepers... I even check the return slot on the Coinstar machine as I walk out the door.  You'd be surprised at the amount of coins I get out of there!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Back in the early 90's my dad and I found a bank envelope with $700 in it between boxes of baseball cards at CVS. We took it to the store manager, who called us within a few hours to tell us a family had come in. Apparently they had just cashed in savings bonds and their son took the envelope with him, absentmindedly leaving it with the baseball cards.

I really don't care whether the police, store employees, or whoever COULD take it and be dishonest. The fact that someone else COULD be dishonest is in no way a justification for you to be dishonest yourself. It's not yours, so make an effort to find the real owner. Ask yourself what kind of situation you would want to be in if you had lost money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Most states have a theft of lost or mislaid property.  Turn over to the police and get a receipt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I found $40 in cash back sticking out of the cash return on the self-checkout at Walmart.
I took it to the attendant, and she put it in an envelope behind her station and said thanks.

had I found it in the parking lot I would have pocketed it without a second thought.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Does she turn it into the store manager or call the police department?  
View Quote

How much? Under a $100, keep it.

They'll never find it at the PD and stores often keep the money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Tell her to go back into the store and buy a pressure washer.. sell pressure washer on Craigslist.. the money is now luandered.. use money to by Loto tickets..
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Need pics first.

Pics of your wife making it rain will do
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is the proper way to handle it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Tell the manager you found some money, but not how much.  If anybody calls looking for it, they can call you.  I figure after a week, it's yours.

Losing $150 would hurt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#46]
What might happen to the money after you turn it in has absolutely no bearing on whether its the right thing to do or not...... Theft is not justified by the belief that if you dont steal it, someone else will.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#47]
keep it or donate it to the charity of your choice. Most stores will put the money in their cash office or safe and after whatever time the company says to wait it goes into the store's account anyway. Keep it, spend what you consider to be an ethical amount of effort to find the owner and if no luck spend it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe i scrolled through too fast, did I miss the wife pics?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#49]
I had a projectionist that was working at a theatre I eventually managed in downtown Miami (Omni 10).  

He was sweeping up after closing and came across a brown paper bag with $6800 in cash.  He turned it in to the manager on duty and the next day, the man came looking for it and it was returned.  I forget how much the fellow 'tipped' him, but it was way more than he made in a fortnight.

I was a manager at another theatre and a wealthy South American couple came to Miami and didn't trust the Bal Harbor Sheraton to protect her ~$250,000 in jewelry, so the egghead decides to put it in her purse and visit the cinema.

Well...the movie ends and the lady walks off, leaving her purse on the armrest.

Ushers go in to clean the theatre and there's the purse on the armrest, so they take it to the box office and a gaggle of them rifle through the wallet, snatch the money and ditch the purse in a big garbage can and into the dumpster compacter it went.

Before the lady got back to her hotel, her lawyer was on the phone threatening my G.M., who went out and found it in the dumpster after interrogating the other employees.

I remember her words vividly:

'I don't know what $250,000 worth of jewelry looks like, but I could believe it was $250,000.'

Ya never know...

Chris
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#50]
There really is no such thing as found property that you can just keep under the law.

The right thing to do would be tell the store manager that you found some money without telling him/her how much or exactly where you found it and inform him/her that you are taking it to the police. The police will take it and give you  a receipt, after a period of time with nobody claiming it the money will be yours
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top