Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Shedding, smell, tripping over? Never bothered me enough to even consider not having my dog.... As of 1pm today, I don't have to worry about those things anymore. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:42:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You didn't use any of the collars I linked you.  Your GSD wouldn't be able to bark through them.  The cheap ones yes.  Those, no.  Try the Garmin, used to be TriTronics until Garmin bought them.  Thank me later.

I get what you're doing.  You can do that or fix the problem...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used three different bark collars on my GSD over the years. Two were automatic, the current one is a remote.  She figured out the pattern on the auto ones. And I've tried for hours getting her to stop barking with the remote and all I can say is the bitch is stubborn.

Yeah I'm ranting on here, but have you ever just got fed up man?  If you say you haven't you're lying.
You didn't use any of the collars I linked you.  Your GSD wouldn't be able to bark through them.  The cheap ones yes.  Those, no.  Try the Garmin, used to be TriTronics until Garmin bought them.  Thank me later.

I get what you're doing.  You can do that or fix the problem...
A lot of people in here, including you, are good at making assumptions and think I haven't been trying to fix the problems and train the dogs but you're wrong.

We rescued the new dog. He bites when you try to cut his nails. They were curled back to his paw when we got him. It takes time to shorten the quick. And it's hard when the little shit bites and wrestles the entire time. Can't do it by yourself. Gotta have someone distracting him with treats. Hard to get help to do it sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got a deaf red heeler... he NEVER stops! Which im partially deaf and dont mind lol BUT he shadow chases and has a spot in every single room he does it in and in every spot theres a hole in the carpet. Other than that hes super smart and ALWAYS watches the door(my six) if he's in the same room as me. Knows sign language.

Then my dalmation... shes retarded.... she forgets to poop then poops before she gets outside... or if its windy or rainy its scary and she poops inside. The damn deaf dog can hold his shit and the dog that cant hear cant!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe you need a new boyfriend and some cats.
View Quote
I bet you suck cock by choice. Come on over.

Cats are worse than dogs. Leave them at your place. I don't like fecal matter tracked all over my counters.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shedding, smell, tripping over? Never bothered me enough to even consider not having my dog.... As of 1pm today, I don't have to worry about those things anymore. 
View Quote
In all seriousness, I'll be heart broken when they are gone. I'm really sorry for your loss man. It sucks.

I've just reached my limit and gotta vent.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:48:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A lot of people in here, including you, are good at making assumptions and think I haven't been trying to fix the problems and train the dogs but you're wrong.

We rescued the new dog. He bites when you try to cut his nails. They were curled back to his paw when we got him. It takes time to shorten the quick. And it's hard when the little shit bites and wrestles the entire time. Can't do it by yourself. Gotta have someone distracting him with treats. Hard to get help to do it sometimes.
View Quote
That's not hard to train out of them.  It's pretty common.  Put a stool next to a post and tie a lead to the post.  Make it where if he is hanging from the lead his front legs are about a few inches off the ground.  Get a WIDE collar and put a towel between his collar and neck.  Then grab his foot.  When he snaps at you lean your knee into him where he has to step off the stool and the lead holds him up.  Let him sit there for 10 to 15 seconds and put him back on the stool.  Do that over and over and he will learn quick with no pain or Ill will towards you since it's the lead that's holding him there
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
My dog hated her nails getting cut too. I found that using a dremel with a sanding drum worked better than a clippers. Now that she is used to me not hurting her when I clip her nails she let's me use a clippers. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:50:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cats are worse than dogs. Leave them at your place. I don't like fecal matter tracked all over my counters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you get your dick sucked by males by choice. Now that your out of the closet I'd imagine that's some relief for you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#9]
No.

My dog doesn't shit or piss in the house, he protects my children from anything he perceives as a threat, and he's an awesome friend to me.
Other than needing exercise and food, he's relatively maintenance free.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I worked in a kennel, I don't want a dog and I don't need the hassle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dog hated her nails getting cut too. I found that using a dremel with a sanding drum worked better than a clippers. Now that she is used to me not hurting her when I clip her nails she let's me use a clippers. 
View Quote
GSD doesn't mind the Dremel. I can knock hers out quick. New dog isn't having it. He bit it once and bloodied his lips. And twice he's put his tail into it and wrapped it up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to love dogs, now I hate them. They are just like most children that have never been taught to behave.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
And the little shit sleeps in your bed and the big dog walks in front of you and probably goes through doors before you...

Your dogs have trained YOU!  I'll just leave it at that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's not hard to train out of them.  It's pretty common.  Put a stool next to a post and tie a lead to the post.  Make it where if he is hanging from the lead his front legs are about a few inches off the ground.  Get a WIDE collar and put a towel between his collar and neck.  Then grab his foot.  When he snaps at you lean your knee into him where he has to step off the stool and the lead holds him up.  Let him sit there for 10 to 15 seconds and put him back on the stool.  Do that over and over and he will learn quick with no pain or Ill will towards you since it's the lead that's holding him there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little complicated to setup but I'll try it next time.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bet you get your dick sucked by males by choice. Now that your out of the closet I'd imagine that's some relief for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got a pretty mouth??
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah need more training. Also if they wake me up they don't get to sleep in the same room. I've dealt with a dag with separation anxiety would fuck up the house if left alone or bark nonstop outside. He got left outside with a bark collar if i wasnt there.

That said we have one almost perfectly behaved dachshund mix and the old lady wants a second dag. I am less than thrilled about getting a new dag to not be a total shit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Read your follow up answers and you have more of my sympathy.

For a temporary fix, maybe just pay more attention to the GSD you seemed to like.

Little dog will know its place, GSD won't feel threatened.

It's not a panacea (especially considering your wife's needs) but it may help establish the pack order.

I'm not suggesting being mean to the lap dog, just make it clear the GSD is the favorite. Dogs don't get offended, they're dogs.

That's all I got.

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:58:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And the little shit sleeps in your bed and the big dog walks in front of you and probably goes through doors before you...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come take them off my hands and show me your ways master dog whisperer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#19]
no                    
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my dog.  He's laying next to me now.  He's getting up there in age at 14 now but he still likes to play and has all the right skills and is a good boy.  Starting with pups can be demanding but even that doesn't bother me much.  I think I'll always have a dog.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You refuse to sort out your dog pack.  

Dogs who can't control their mouths ride the lightning.  Batteries are cheap.  I've yet to meet a dog who won't bark through a collar correcting them if it's actually an appropriate time for them to do so.  That yapping crap stops really quick.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/tritbar.html

Print this out and take it to a local dog groomer.  Then inspect to see if they did it right.  When/if they don't hand it back to them and demand they do it right.  There should be no noise at all.  Ever.  Costs a whopping $10-15 and saves a headache for you.
http://www.germanwatchdogs.com/blog/nails-how-long-is-too-long-for-your-german-shepherd/
http://www.germanwatchdogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/ShortNails.jpg

Dogs are easy.  That wife thing is going to be harder and far less rewarding...
View Quote
You can't just cut a nail that short from the start, the quick grows with it. You have to grind them back gradually to get it to recede or the dog's going to bleed all over the place, not to mention its painful.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#22]
What about two easier dogs?

Let's face it, shi-tzus are nasty smelly gross dogs. Requiring lots of cleaning and brushing and etc.

GSDs require a lot of work and attention and brushing.

Get a couple of labs or something. Like adopt a nice mellow chocolate lab or something
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My wife is suffering with some really heavy shit right now and can't handle me asking her to do something.

I'm all by myself when it comes to this shit. I have to be the rock all the fucking time. I'm snapping because I have to hold it in 24/7. Just gotta vent guys.

Life can really fucking suck. I just want one day of fucking peace in my life.
View Quote
Take control of your life. You dont have to be the rock 247, let your shit out and or fix what is bugging you. You can outsmart a fucking dag
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah need more training. Also if they wake me up they don't get to sleep in the same room. I've dealt with a dag with separation anxiety would fuck up the house if left alone or bark nonstop outside. He got left outside with a bark collar if i wasnt there.

That said we have one almost perfectly behaved dachshund mix and the old lady wants a second dag. I am less than thrilled about getting a new dag to not be a total shit.
View Quote
Besides barking at the neighbors cat my GSD acted perfect before the new dog came along.

I don't have time to train them. I'm at work when I'm around them the most. I work from home if you missed it. I can't stop and spend 5-10 minutes to correct their behavior when my phone is ringing off the hook.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:02:31 AM EDT
[#25]
We dogsat for the MILs dog a couple weeks ago, stupid little shit was here for 3 days.

He's banned from my home now, permanently, shit I don't even like the dog anymore and I used to think he was great.

Just another thing that woman has spoiled to the point it's a selfish entitled useless little douche.

The point being, if the wife brought home some useless untrainable little shit like that, I'd be permanently pissed off too.

My GSD pup on the other hand is worth every second of my time, and I'm extremely grateful to have a dog again after 4 years. (Apartment living with the GF now wife).

So I can't really relate, kinda like if I'd babysat for a friends autistic kid. But I get the struggle.

Good luck with your wife, I hope she bounces back and takes some of these burdens off you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We are seeing someone to help her get over it. My needs don't matter. I just have to be there for her. She's been dealing with it for 3 years and just now getting help. I've been being there for her that entire time and guess who gets the brunt of it. I put up boundaries now. She always apologizes for the shit she pulls. But I'm worn out. I just want peace.
View Quote
So you are projecting all of lifes problems on to your dags?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Zero interest in living with a dog in my home.    Will get an outside dog or two when I manage to get some land, though.

Dogs will most certainly be your best friend, but I simply don't have time to properly take care of one, and haven't for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:07:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Only reason why I won't have a dog - I can't stand dogshit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Amen brother

I didn't even mention the diarrhea and vomiting she's been leaving around the house. I've spent $600 at the vet in the last two months because of it and the last thing they suggested was to start giving her benafiber. All her tests look good.

Not to mention you can't walk in the back yard without watching for yard bombs. We have almost an acre fenced in and she shits within 10 ft of the porch every damn time.
View Quote
So it's easier to pick it all up?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I think an outside dog is the ticket, although I had a poodle once that was a badass dog and it stayed inside, but no shedding so there was that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:11:32 AM EDT
[#31]
My coworker got tired of his dogs.  One was a digger and kept getting free of their fenced area in the back yard.  The other dog would follow him out.  One time the dogs got out and got caught by animal control.  It was going to be like $200 to get them back so he just said screw it.  Said his wife cried some for a couple days but then got over it.

Ironically,  it was probably just as well for the dogs.  They gave them food and water but from what he told me the dogs were pretty much ignored otherwise. Poor things. I'm not a dog person but I hate to see anything mistreated or neglected.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#32]
You aren't wrong OP. My wife adopted a 10 year old rescue pug. I love animals, but this thing annoys the fuck out of me. Constant slurping, nails clicking on the floor, snorting, grunting, sneezing, stinking even 2 days after a bath. Like you said, I'm home more than her so I'm always letting her out, feeding, etc.

Can't wait until she's gone. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about the dogs, Grasshopper...  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:25:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Not ending dog ownership but we are reducing due to vet bills. Both my wife and I grew up with at least two dogs in the house. Going forward we will only have one at a time.

Our parents and grandparents never had $2k vet bills. We have had multiple. It seems a simple exam for anything is over $200 and our dogs are over 10 years old and in great shape. Our dogs gave not had major issues but it is getting to be too much. We love them but their bills far surpass our own medical bills.

Also breeds are declining. My parents have a shih tzu that cannot navigate stairs, pisses in the house, and suffers from general retardation. Those traits should have been culled but there is money to be made for pure breeds. My in laws also lost both of their bostons to cancer before their 10th birthday. It is a sad state of affairs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:25:41 AM EDT
[#35]
My dog pisses me the fuck off sometimes. Like today, he almost cost me a fuck load of money twice within about 5 minutes all because he is too fucking stupid not to seriously injure himself. But I know ill still cry like a bitch when the day comes that he passes away because deep down, I love the furry fucker.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:37:21 AM EDT
[#36]
It sounds like your dog problems started with your wife's dog. It also sounds like your wife's dog is undisciplined and spoiled. A happy, well behaved dog is a dog who is disciplined and not allowed to do whatever he wants. I have a dog and a female friend of mine has two.

Mine is well behaved, laid back, very pleasant and casual. Hers are hyper, high strung, spoiled, tear shit up and generally had the run of the house until they moved in with me. I laid out the rules. No dogs in the bed, on the couch, in the bedroom at night, etc. This woman used to coddle her dogs when it rained which naturally made them act up more everytime it rained. They became psychotic/manic working themselves up into a frenzy (seriously) every time the wind blew or a little rain fell. Wimpering, crying, howling, pacing running back and forth panting. It was insane so I insisted she stop as it was driving me nuts.

Now, they are a little spoiled but stay out of my bed, off my couch, aren't manic and obsessively trying to get attention or showing their asses.

Establish your dominance! Discipline the little rat bastard and make the wife stop making it into an obsessive little monster.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP is a commie.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#38]
OP I am sorry for your spouse has medical challenges. I also am sorry your animals don't feel secure in their position in the pack.
Maybe explaining the importance of social order to your wife and it's affect on your dogs.
 I can only tell you that my wife and I get a fantastic amount of love and emotional support from our bulldog Bella, she help each of us
deal with our individual health challenges. I have been told that the act of just petting your dog can can lower your blood pressure. Well
I am not a doctor but I feel better after loving Bella, try just loving your dog with out any other expectation. We don't know what we would
do without a dog in our lives. No matter what it sounds like you and your wife could benefit by getting some help.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm dog sitting my sister's Great Dane for a week. She's a good dog, but I'm ready for her to be gone.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm no marriage counselor, but it sounds like you are more tired of the wife than you are of the dogs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I would get rid of the dogs so fast it would make your head swim. NOTHING fucks with my sleep.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I felt the same about chickens. I realized I miss the excitement of killing coop raiders at 2am more than the chickens.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No way. My dogs are my kids.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe if I didn't get woken up every fucking night. I just want to be asleep right now but I'm pissed off.  I kicked them out of the room and shut the door but now the little dog is barking and my wife is snoring. I'm about to lose my cool.
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I love my dogs and will always have them.  Our new puppy is testing my love right now though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Board both dogs for a week and figure out a way to take at least a full day of me time.  You're the caregiver, your wife will have to understand caregivers have their own needs for R&R that need to be met.  

Then look on Craigslist edit: I mean Angieslist or your neighborhood nextdoor site for references for a trainer to come to your house and give advice on setting boundaries with both dogs.  Involve your wife with this training.  I suspect it will involve crates they go in while you work.  The shih tzu definitely needs one, and your GSD should also already have a crate in your house.  Done properly, they're not punishment.  Every dog needs its own little cave to relax in and escape to when they're worried or upset.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Maybe if I didn't get woken up every fucking night. I just want to be asleep right now but I'm pissed off.  I kicked them out of the room and shut the door but now the little dog is barking and my wife is snoring. I'm about to lose my cool.
View Quote
SSS
Don't do it
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I wont be getting another when my lab is gone
We work too much
We have 2 little kids
Tired of the hair, the mess etc
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol.

Is it everything elses that suck in the world, or is it just you?

I'll keep an eye out for your threads, I see many lulz in your future.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#50]
I lost my six year old dachshund week before last.  She was the best.  

Your dogs are trying to show you they love you.  It's why they want to be with you the way you describe.  

My house doesn't smell of piss or fur.  My dog was bell trained and loved to play frisbee.  Until her illness she'd play you to death.

So no, I'm not sick of owning a dog.  My heart has been broken by this loss.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top