Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I bet the female fighters in the legion could kick ass if put in a modern army.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
My oldest son is a Marine. Infantry mortar man. He told me the weight of the stuff they carried and the distances they carried it when they went on a camping trip. Amazing. I told him he got paid to go camping? He was
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One of the most hardcore PT studs I ever met was a manlet.  My short ass old lady is taller than that dude.......but he carried all 225 pounds of my ass uphill at a dead run with zero hesitation.  I hated that bastard.  Fuckin' prick.  Still hate him......but that dude was a beast, and could pull much, much more than his own weight, turn the world into a blur, and make that shit happen. 

Yeah, you're still a prick......and I hate you.   But you have me respect, sir.
View Quote
Yes, the high PT score in my BCT company was not just female, but short and wide (not fat, she had Incan ancestry and had wide shoulders).  299 on the APFT with 99 pushups.  Helped that she could only go down about halfway and then bounced.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#4]
From Wikipedia-

Every legion had a large baggage train, which included 640 mules (1 mule for every 8 legionaries) just for the soldiers' equipment. To keep these baggage trains from becoming too large and slow, Marius had each infantryman carry as much of his own equipment as he could, including his own armour, weapons and 15 days' rations, for about 25–30 kg (50–60 pounds) of load total. To make this easier, he issued each legionary a cross stick to carry their loads on their shoulders. The soldiers were nicknamed Marius' Mules because of the amount of gear they had to carry themselves. This arrangement allowed for the possibility for the supply train to become temporarily detached from the main body of the legion, thus greatly increasing the army's speed when needed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Marius was such a badass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what Steinhab sent me....

First off, Vegetius was often full of shit. He wasn't a military man, he was an equivalent to a pogue, or worse, a dirty civilian, as he never served a single day in the Legions. But he was trying to write a primer on warfare and included every bad ass story he could find in his library, likely making some shit up too, in order to try to convince the military elite and Emperor of his day (Late Roman Empire) that their army was shitty and they should fight as he thought the ancients Romans fought (they weren't just ancient to us).

But let's let's talk numbers. Vegetius' De Re Militari describes two paces, slow, at 20 miles in 5 hours, fast at 24 miles in 5 hours. Lots of uninformed motherfuckers over the years have been duped into believing this was some bad ass feet of endurance and strength, but I'm going to school you bastards up. To understand this shit you have to know that the translations you're reading are only translating Latin to English, I can't think of one that is converting ancient units of measure to modern. Ie., for the dumb fucks who aren't following this, the Roman miles weren't modern statute miles, and Roman hours weren't modern hours.

Let's go with daylight. Roman days were divided into day of 12 equal hours worth of sunlight, and nighttime of 4 equal watches of darkness. Tracking? Hope so. Daylight isn't constant though, summer days are longer than winter, so that summer hours for Romans were longer too. I did the calculation, around the Latitude of the upper half of the Mediterranean at the Summer Solstice, days last for ~16 modern hours of sunlight.

Math: 16 hours multiplied by 60 = 960 minutes, divided by 12 gets 80 minutes per Roman hour on the Summer Solstice. 80 minutes times x 5= 400 minutes. 400 minutes divided by 60 = 6.6 modern hours. So its a bit longer, 1 hr, 40 minutes longer.  

Vegetius says the Legions marched for 6.6 hours (5 Roman hours during summer), he says they traveled 20-24 Roman miles during that time, depending on their pace. But that doesn't mean statute miles. A Roman mile was equivalent to 4,854 Imperial/US Feet, while a modern Statute mile is equal to 5,280 Imperial/US feet (as opposed to a Roman foot, which is actually 11 inches, not 12).

Math:
{[(5280-4854) x 20] / 5280} - 20
{[(5280-4854) x 24] / 5280} - 24

TLDR:
What this means for you impatient fucks that don't want to learn is that, according to Vegetius' likely bullshit claim, Romans marched 18.5 statute miles in 6.6 modern hours (2.8 mph pace), or they marched 22.1 statute miles in 6.6 modern hours (3.3 mph), neither of which is especially impressive for a fat 40 year old soccer mom, let alone a modern infantryman, even one carrying heavy loads. Romans were non rucking bitches apparently.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
"If you can't truck it; fuck it"
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget they walked everywhere their entire lives. So to them it was just how they traveled
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
4 mph is decent but doable.
View Quote
This. Caesar's legions humped it, and was known to be the quickest in mobilization out of all the legions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is what Steinhab sent me....

First off, Vegetius was often full of shit. He wasn't a military man, he was an equivalent to a pogue, or worse, a dirty civilian, as he never served a single day in the Legions. But he was trying to write a primer on warfare and included every bad ass story he could find in his library, likely making some shit up too, in order to try to convince the military elite and Emperor of his day (Late Roman Empire) that their army was shitty and they should fight as he thought the ancients Romans fought (they weren't just ancient to us).

But let's let's talk numbers. Vegetius' De Re Militari describes two paces, slow, at 20 miles in 5 hours, fast at 24 miles in 5 hours. Lots of uninformed motherfuckers over the years have been duped into believing this was some bad ass feet of endurance and strength, but I'm going to school you bastards up. To understand this shit you have to know that the translations you're reading are only translating Latin to English, I can't think of one that is converting ancient units of measure to modern. Ie., for the dumb fucks who aren't following this, the Roman miles weren't modern statute miles, and Roman hours weren't modern hours.

Let's go with daylight. Roman days were divided into day of 12 equal hours worth of sunlight, and nighttime of 4 equal watches of darkness. Tracking? Hope so. Daylight isn't constant though, summer days are longer than winter, so that summer hours for Romans were longer too. I did the calculation, around the Latitude of the upper half of the Mediterranean at the Summer Solstice, days last for ~16 modern hours of sunlight.

Math: 16 hours multiplied by 60 = 960 minutes, divided by 12 gets 80 minutes per Roman hour on the Summer Solstice. 80 minutes times x 5= 400 minutes. 400 minutes divided by 60 = 6.6 modern hours. So its a bit longer, 1 hr, 40 minutes longer.  

Vegetius says the Legions marched for 6.6 hours (5 Roman hours during summer), he says they traveled 20-24 Roman miles during that time, depending on their pace. But that doesn't mean statute miles. A Roman mile was equivalent to 4,854 Imperial/US Feet, while a modern Statute mile is equal to 5,280 Imperial/US feet (as opposed to a Roman foot, which is actually 11 inches, not 12).

Math:
{[(5280-4854) x 20] / 5280} - 20
{[(5280-4854) x 24] / 5280} - 24

TLDR:
What this means for you impatient fucks that don't want to learn is that, according to Vegetius' likely bullshit claim, Romans marched 18.5 statute miles in 6.6 modern hours (2.8 mph pace), or they marched 22.1 statute miles in 6.6 modern hours (3.3 mph), neither of which is especially impressive for a fat 40 year old soccer mom, let alone a modern infantryman, even one carrying heavy loads. Romans were non rucking bitches apparently.  
View Quote
Steinhab is correct in his assessment of Vegetius.

I compare my idea of ruck marching with Caesar's legions though during his time in Gaul.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Bring back steinhab...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just googled that.  That's 10 times worse than a 2000 year old backpack design.  That would REALLY suck.  You sure it was 100 lbs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The firka wasn't a backpack, it was a pole with a bunch of their equipment packed on the end. Not too dissimilar from the bindle popular with hobos in the early 1900's. 
Just googled that.  That's 10 times worse than a 2000 year old backpack design.  That would REALLY suck.  You sure it was 100 lbs?
The article said up to 100lbs..i can't imagine using a stick and bag with that weight in it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bring back steinhab...
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was doing some reading on Roman warriors and it went into their physical.conditining.  They routinely had to march 19 miles in 5 hours or less with about 100 lbs or so of kit on their back.

Is this an extreme feat or is it doable by today's .mil training for combat arms guys?
View Quote

where were you reading this?

The standard movement was 12 miles with 70 pounds according to vegetius and many think he exaggerated that.

I have never seen the 100 pounds of kit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The standard movement was 12 miles with 70 pounds according to vegetius and many think he exaggerated that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was doing some reading on Roman warriors and it went into their physical.conditining.  They routinely had to march 19 miles in 5 hours or less with about 100 lbs or so of kit on their back.

Is this an extreme feat or is it doable by today's .mil training for combat arms guys?

100 Roman libra is equal to 72.5 Imperial pounds. A lot of people don't do the conversion from Roman to Standard/Imperial.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A significant portion was their armor and worn gear so it wasn't all on the end of a stick.
View Quote
I don't know how comfortable metal armor and heavy swords would be to wear and carry either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't know how comfortable metal armor and heavy swords would be to wear and carry either.
View Quote
Not sure about the armor but the gladius weighed around a pound and a half. The spear they used, the pilum, weighed between about 4.5-11lbs depending on the era. Not exactly ball busting and much less than an empty M249 SAW of today.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#18]
19 miles/5 hours/100 lbs. sounds like child's play for those Norwegian girl soldiers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not sure about the armor but the gladius weighed around a pound and a half. The spear they used, the pilum, weighed between about 4.5-11lbs depending on the era. Not exactly ball busting and much less than an empty M249 SAW of today.
View Quote
Pilum also doubles as a walking stick. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
From Steinhab:

This is for Roman history buffs, so if you don't like history, skip this:

Romans by and large were never that mobile of a force. A lot of that wasn't due to the inability of the soldiers themselves, but came down to the overall mobility of the army, its mules, oxen, etc., and the logistical situation. Men can't walk faster than they can be fed and watered, can't walk faster then an ox cart/wagon carrying supplies. What this means is the standard daily march of an army would be wake up at dawn, eat breakfast, break down camp, march about 10-12 miles to the next watering hole/bivouac site, build new camp. Not fast but faster than most barbarian armies, more disciplined, with a much superior logistics system that allowed the Romans to out maneuver their enemy.

It is noted that Marius reformed his army in North Africa (Jugurthine War) to make it more mobile, which makes sense since the enemy they faced fought unconventionally, predominately with light infantry and cavalry, and had the support of the local population, while the Romans were constantly being harassed and ambushed while they unsuccessfully tried to trap the enemy army. Marius didn't so much as create new techniques, instead he took little used pre-existing TTPs and applied them to his army in Africa, then his army in Gaul (Cimbri War), where all told he commanded major theater armies for seven straight years (107-105 BC, 104-101 BC). Owning to the successes Marius had, and that most future top notch generals are known or suspected to have served with him in Africa or Gaul, this explains the great transformation of the Roman army in skill and training during the Late Republic.

When it comes to mobility there is the Marius' Mules, which possibly was created to explain Marius, as a young officer, being a stickler for inspecting the mules. But the more common explanation is the increased load for the common foot soldier, it deals with him removing the traditional personal mule that all soldiers had been allowed to bring (if they had the means to own it). But mules eat more food and drink more water than people, while the army definitely needed a mule for the mess section/tent group as well for other groups, the normal infantryman didn't need his own mule. So Marius abolished the use, sold off the extras, making the men carry all their own equipment, using a single mule per tent mess section to carry collective equipment (tents and shit). He did the same with personal slaves, he allowed a single Calo (camp servant) per tent section (and to mind the single mule), with only officers allowed to have their own man. Marius is not the first one to do this, Philip II did it with his Phalanx, previous Roman generals had done something similar. With Romans, it was a common custom for armies operating in hilly Spain as they chased bandits and rebels. And it just so happens that Marius spend most of his adulthood campaigning in Spain (this is hugely important).  It greatly eased the logistics burden, making the army more mobile, with less fodder needed, less foraging needed to be conducted (which was time consuming and which led to ambush),

Next, the Furca, the marching pole. Marius didn't create that either, sources describe conditioning marches with heavy loads a hundred years before Marius, though they don't mention furca, they would have had to have used them to carry the heavy loads, as they did not carry rucksacks. Again, this is something that armies occupying Spain were known to use, as they needed more mobility to deal with guerrillas, rebels, bandits. While previous generals only used these advanced TTPs for tough theaters, Marius was the first to take these advanced mobility TTPs and apply them to "normal" use in other wars, like in Africa and Gaul, and then his successors used them everywhere, so the techniques became standardized. The furca allowed a comfortable method of carrying a few days worth of prepared food (hard tack, salted meat, etc), water, extra tunics, foraging gear, entrenching equipment, hygiene equipment, etc. With the scutum shield carrying on the back like a backpack (it is known to have rings screwed into it for this function), with the furca sitting on top of the scutum.

Caesar, nephew of Marius, was probably the most mobile Roman general ever. His audacious speed marches were so impressive that even today its hard to believe, thirty Roman miles a day for weeks at a time. He outmaneuvered all his enemy, whether they be Gallic warriors or fellow Romans, who did not possess armies capable of moving with such speed. Caesar slashed everything that could slow him down, and having a large army of 4-12 legions in a single theater, he could detach numerous legions to protect the slower baggage train (large stockpiles of food and fodder, siege equipment, forge equipment, booty) while the main force of his legions could speed march with a few days worth of food and little else, with those forces actually being led by a force that was not even carrying any additional equipment, just arms and armor (with their sustainment equipment carried in the main force mule supply train).

Caesar's tradition carried on, with both Marcus Antonius and Augustus/Agrippa using Marius' and Caesar's mobility TTPs. Those same techniques would go on when Augustus cemented the Pax Romana, and the legions became professional, long standing garrison units.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Were they wearing their reflective belts?
View Quote
Of course.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those long ass marches are dumb, at the end of it, no unit could possibly be combat effective.

It does not improve your health and fitness, in any way. It does more harm than good. When you have Infantry and SF guys with backs and knees of a 60 or 70 year old man, when they're only 40 years old.
View Quote
In that time period, most people were dead by 40, so it didn't matter.  Also, the Legions would go easier on the veterans.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, the shield acted as the backpack frame.  Maybe the stick hooked onto it somehow.   You can be sure the Romans didn't just fail to think of the backpack, in the same way that Stone Age cultures failed to invent the wheel.
View Quote
You realize that using the wheel to increase efficiency only works if you have a mostly flat surface to roll it on. If the cultures didn't have roads or similar (either by lack of investment, or lack of knowledge) the wheel would be known about but not used. Without a road system a wheel is kinda useless. There are villiages in AK where nobody owns a car, just 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ROADS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In that time period, most people were dead by 40, so it didn't matter.  Also, the Legions would go easier on the veterans.
View Quote
Soldiers of the Roman Legions had around an 80% chance of surviving to retirement.  It was actually a pretty good gig.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I made a mostly correct set of lorica segmentata(the bands around torso with strips on shoulders).  I couldn't afford leather strapping in some interior spots so used nylon webbing. Used copper rivets, correct hinges, ect ect. I also ran out of metal and had to skip the shoulders , they were basically 2 pieces and detached at the pectoralis level. All in all It was VERY good at taking a hit in the protected areas (think grown man swinging 1.5 inch x 6 foot rattan stick and NAILING you in the ribs, losing your balance, going "oofh", falling over "dead" then getting up and going back to the meat grinder). It was also very comfy, heavy but comfy. I could wear it for 8ish hours of fighting and not be crippled(rules required I not wear the sandals, so I wore my old army boots).
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"If you can't truck it; fuck it"
View Quote
I subscribe to this methodology and also require a pool and driving range at any forward location that wishes to be graced by my presence.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bet the female fighters in the legion could kick ass if put in a modern army.
View Quote
We've done this thread a few times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I made a mostly correct set of lorica segmentata(the bands around torso with strips on shoulders).  I couldn't afford leather strapping in some interior spots so used nylon webbing. Used copper rivets, correct hinges, ect ect. I also ran out of metal and had to skip the shoulders , they were basically 2 pieces and detached at the pectoralis level. All in all It was VERY good at taking a hit in the protected areas (think grown man swinging 1.5 inch x 6 foot rattan stick and NAILING you in the ribs, losing your balance, going "oofh", falling over "dead" then getting up and going back to the meat grinder). It was also very comfy, heavy but comfy. I could wear it for 8ish hours of fighting and not be crippled(rules required I not wear the sandals, so I wore my old army boots).
View Quote
Reconstructions put the weight at around 20lbs which is about 3.5lbs more than interceptor body armor with plates.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those long ass marches are dumb, at the end of it, no unit could possibly be combat effective.

It does not improve your health and fitness, in any way. It does more harm than good. When you have Infantry and SF guys with backs and knees of a 60 or 70 year old man, when they're only 40 years old.
Not really, average lifespan was short because of infant mortality. If you survived childhood you had a pretty good chance of living to be an old person.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, its doable
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#31]
They never carried 100 lbs. and IIRC, it took 5 years to train a Roman soldier. They were highly trained and very fit. Could march long distances with little food and minimal water. And when they got where they were going, they often had to join the fight right then. Not only did they win the fight more often than not, but they had energy to spare for rape and pillaging. So, those guys were fit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Romans kicked ass.
View Quote
Meh. What have they ever done for us?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Good stuff by Steinhab.

And it hammers home the point that merely dabbling in stories about antiquity is never going to afford you a complete picture.  You can't just read a wikipedia entry and equate things to modern constructs.  That applies to topics like this, politics, religion...the world was very very different then, and to truly try and draw parallels you really do have to dive completely into the subject and read many books looking at many different aspects of life back then.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
My old knees hurt just thinking about that hump.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You realize that using the wheel to increase efficiency only works if you have a mostly flat surface to roll it on. If the cultures didn't have roads or similar (either by lack of investment, or lack of knowledge) the wheel would be known about but not used. Without a road system a wheel is kinda useless. There are villiages in AK where nobody owns a car, just 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ROADS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the shield acted as the backpack frame.  Maybe the stick hooked onto it somehow.   You can be sure the Romans didn't just fail to think of the backpack, in the same way that Stone Age cultures failed to invent the wheel.
I never thought about it like that.   I guess there were no suitable plains in Africa or N. America.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I never thought about it like that.   I guess there were no suitable plains in Africa or N. America.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Egyptians used chariots.

Building roads is an enormous expenditure of energy and resources. A culture needs to have a pretty good reason to do it. Nomadic tribes in North America probably didn't see much point in building and maintaining roads.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
fall asleep on guard duty and your centurion took your head
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The acronym MCCRES still triggers my tourettes.
View Quote
That is pretty funny, right there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They never carried 100 lbs. and IIRC, it took 5 years to train a Roman soldier. They were highly trained and very fit. Could march long distances with little food and minimal water. And when they got where they were going, they often had to join the fight right then. Not only did they win the fight more often than not, but they had energy to spare for rape and pillaging. So, those guys were fit.
View Quote

Sounds like Crossfit before Crossfit was a thing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is possible but really hauling if you consider the footwear, nutrition, stature of the Roman soldier.  Most training stories get more hardcore the more you tell them so I would lean towards gross exaggeration...show me modern Italian troops that can hump like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Romans kicked ass.
Without Rome, the Christian religion would never have gotten the traction it did and may have been wiped out completely by Islam.

That's something, no?

Rome contributed more to our culture than anyone else. For centuries, all scholarly texts were written in Latin. Before Latin, in Greek. An man could not call himself educated unless he spoke both Latin and Greek. And that was the standard until about WWI.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Romans kicked ass.
View Quote
View Quote
Without Rome, the Christian religion would never have gotten the traction it did and may have been wiped out completely by Islam.
That's something, no?
Rome contributed more to our culture than anyone else. For centuries, all scholarly texts were written in Latin. Before Latin, in Greek. An man could not call himself educated unless he spoke both Latin and Greek. And that was the standard until about WWI.
View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Really?
View Quote
Really, what? Which part do you disagree with, if any?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's doable, but it's a different type of fitness.  I knew PT studs who would smoke me constantly on 2-5 mile runs but always fell behind on the longer ruck marches.  My best 2 mile time was a 13:10, but I could really "embrace the suck" when the shitty physical stuff came around.  Probably why my back mirrors that of a ww2 veteran .
View Quote
That was me also.
I hated runs.
But for some tard reason I liked to ruck.
Even when my legs turned to jelly going up hills, I liked it .
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not really, average lifespan was short because of infant mortality. If you survived childhood you had a pretty good chance of living to be an old person.
View Quote
This. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It wouldnt be easy for the vast majority of combat arms.

And fighting when the march ended would be damn near impossible without some rest.
View Quote
That pace was for rapid travel - not moving to engage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Building roads is an enormous expenditure of energy and resources. A culture needs to have a pretty good reason to do it. Nomadic tribes in North America probably didn't see much point in building and maintaining roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not why the first inhabitants of the Americas didn't build roads, they just weren't terribly bright.

When Europeans first arrived here the natives were subsisting on Stone Age technology, and would still be today if not for colonization.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, but as a whole society wasn't worried that a 40 year old had back problems back then.  There wasn't an expectation that you would have some active retirement period where you traveled the Med. in cruise ships.  When you got old you either sat around and passed wisdom onto your many children and grandchildren, or you did sedentary work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know they were that light. Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's something, no?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Romans kicked ass.

That's something, no?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top