[#2]
the real question is....

did they sing cadence about Jody

?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Aztecs and Incas had roads, they used them to eat people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not why the first inhabitants of the Americas didn't build roads, they just weren't terribly bright.

When Europeans first arrived here the natives were subsisting on Stone Age technology, and would still be today if not for colonization.
Also pyramids which I understand you're fond of.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I made a mostly correct set of lorica segmentata(the bands around torso with strips on shoulders).  I couldn't afford leather strapping in some interior spots so used nylon webbing. Used copper rivets, correct hinges, ect ect. I also ran out of metal and had to skip the shoulders , they were basically 2 pieces and detached at the pectoralis level. All in all It was VERY good at taking a hit in the protected areas (think grown man swinging 1.5 inch x 6 foot rattan stick and NAILING you in the ribs, losing your balance, going "oofh", falling over "dead" then getting up and going back to the meat grinder). It was also very comfy, heavy but comfy. I could wear it for 8ish hours of fighting and not be crippled(rules required I not wear the sandals, so I wore my old army boots).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how comfortable metal armor and heavy swords would be to wear and carry either.
I made a mostly correct set of lorica segmentata(the bands around torso with strips on shoulders).  I couldn't afford leather strapping in some interior spots so used nylon webbing. Used copper rivets, correct hinges, ect ect. I also ran out of metal and had to skip the shoulders , they were basically 2 pieces and detached at the pectoralis level. All in all It was VERY good at taking a hit in the protected areas (think grown man swinging 1.5 inch x 6 foot rattan stick and NAILING you in the ribs, losing your balance, going "oofh", falling over "dead" then getting up and going back to the meat grinder). It was also very comfy, heavy but comfy. I could wear it for 8ish hours of fighting and not be crippled(rules required I not wear the sandals, so I wore my old army boots).
Well now I know. Thanks. I just envisioned plates digging into the skin and clumsy leather LBE. Guess that wasn't the case.

What did you make it for? A reenactment?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's not why the first inhabitants of the Americas didn't build roads, they just weren't terribly bright.

When Europeans first arrived here the natives were subsisting on Stone Age technology, and would still be today if not for colonization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the shield acted as the backpack frame.  Maybe the stick hooked onto it somehow.   You can be sure the Romans didn't just fail to think of the backpack, in the same way that Stone Age cultures failed to invent the wheel.
You realize that using the wheel to increase efficiency only works if you have a mostly flat surface to roll it on. If the cultures didn't have roads or similar (either by lack of investment, or lack of knowledge) the wheel would be known about but not used. Without a road system a wheel is kinda useless. There are villiages in AK where nobody owns a car, just 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ROADS.
I never thought about it like that.   I guess there were no suitable plains in Africa or N. America.  
The Egyptians used chariots.

Building roads is an enormous expenditure of energy and resources. A culture needs to have a pretty good reason to do it. Nomadic tribes in North America probably didn't see much point in building and maintaining roads.

read the book 1491

book on Amazon

it covers some very interesting stuff
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Without Rome, the Christian religion would never have gotten the traction it did and may have been wiped out completely by Islam.

That's something, no?

Rome contributed more to our culture than anyone else. For centuries, all scholarly texts were written in Latin. Before Latin, in Greek. An man could not call himself educated unless he spoke both Latin and Greek. And that was the standard until about WWI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Romans kicked ass.
Meh. What have they ever done for us?
Without Rome, the Christian religion would never have gotten the traction it did and may have been wiped out completely by Islam.

That's something, no?

Rome contributed more to our culture than anyone else. For centuries, all scholarly texts were written in Latin. Before Latin, in Greek. An man could not call himself educated unless he spoke both Latin and Greek. And that was the standard until about WWI.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
read the book 1491

book on Amazon

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the shield acted as the backpack frame.  Maybe the stick hooked onto it somehow.   You can be sure the Romans didn't just fail to think of the backpack, in the same way that Stone Age cultures failed to invent the wheel.
You realize that using the wheel to increase efficiency only works if you have a mostly flat surface to roll it on. If the cultures didn't have roads or similar (either by lack of investment, or lack of knowledge) the wheel would be known about but not used. Without a road system a wheel is kinda useless. There are villiages in AK where nobody owns a car, just 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ROADS.
I never thought about it like that.   I guess there were no suitable plains in Africa or N. America.  

Building roads is an enormous expenditure of energy and resources. A culture needs to have a pretty good reason to do it. Nomadic tribes in North America probably didn't see much point in building and maintaining roads.

read the book 1491

book on Amazon

I've read other articles and heard people talk about how advanced the Amerindian civilizations were but they still hadn't invented the arch, hadn't put the wheel to good use, hadn't invented any weapons more sophisticated than rudimentary bows.

They were nowhere near the equals of the Europeans.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But could they stick their hands in their pockets?
View Quote
The AF of the roman legion could..special pockets built into their tunics
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good stuff by Steinhab.

And it hammers home the point that merely dabbling in stories about antiquity is never going to afford you a complete picture.  You can't just read a wikipedia entry and equate things to modern constructs.  That applies to topics like this, politics, religion...the world was very very different then, and to truly try and draw parallels you really do have to dive completely into the subject and read many books looking at many different aspects of life back then.
View Quote
That's a whole lot of really big piles of bullshit stories about German troops in WW2 doing superhuman feats like marching at distances, at absurd speeds. The Nazis always lied about talked up their game.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
fall asleep on guard duty and your centurion took your head
View Quote
I'm sure it depends on the case. I don't think most guys who might have fallen asleep on guard duty, were killed. Maybe if you were a real fucking shitbag, or something.

Just like in today's society, people don't usually get the harshest penalties unless they are repeat offenders.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, I'm glad I always rode.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw that movie.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Reconstructions put the weight at around 20lbs which is about 3.5lbs more than interceptor body armor with plates.
View Quote
That's pretty light compared to a MTV with all four plates.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't need roads, because they didn't invent the wheel.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's pretty light compared to a MTV with all four plates.
View Quote
I believe those weigh in around 30lbs or so don't they? Talk about a suckfest there... I just referenced the interceptor armor cause that's what I was familiar with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I believe those weigh in around 30lbs or so don't they? Talk about a suckfest there... I just referenced the interceptor armor cause that's what I was familiar with.
View Quote
Im pretty sure it was around 35 lbs.  They were getting phased out about halfway through my enlistment and everyone started getting the new teeny tiny plate carriers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've read other articles and heard people talk about how advanced the Amerindian civilizations were but they still hadn't invented the arch, hadn't put the wheel to good use, hadn't invented any weapons more sophisticated than rudimentary bows.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

read the book 1491

book on Amazon

When Cortes arrived in Mexico, Tenochtitlan was bigger and cleaner than any other European city then in existence. For all the supposed "primitive" nature of Amerindian culture, the fact is that they were a fairly sophisticated and accomplished culture--If they'd had sufficient exposure to the rest of the world, in terms of disease and transmission of technology, the odds are pretty good that the majority of them would have survived, and Cortes would have wound up as a grease spot on one of the causeways.

In a lot of ways, it was sheerest luck that our ancestors came out on top--Had the disease vectors run the other way, in favor of the Amerindian cultures? We would have never managed more than a Norse-style toehold on the continent. As it was, the majority of the native populations had immune systems keyed into parasites, not diseases, and first exposure to Old World diseases wiped them out.

There is a lot of solid data behind the theories laid out in 1491, and the successor volume which went over the effects of the Columbian Exchange on the rest of the world. There is a lot of stuff we were taught in school that was plain wrong, and a lot of our confidence in the nature of our vaunted technology and culture is either misplaced or mistaken. Absent the diseases that fortuitously wiped out the Mexica and other populations, Cortes would likely have gone down to a rather ugly defeat, swamped under numbers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's a whole lot of really big piles of bullshit stories about German troops in WW2 doing superhuman feats like marching at distances, at absurd speeds. The Nazis always lied about talked up their game.
View Quote
I'd like to know what you base that on. Everything I've ever looked at shows multiple corroborating data points, like when and where they crossed rivers and which march routes were taken. Same with the WWI data, which shows similar "superhuman" feats having been accomplished.

One of the factors you have to work into your understanding of the German's performance in WWII is just how much methamphetamines they were issuing and using. What looks insanely unlikely to you and I in terms of what we know to be possible from personal experience has to take that fact into account. The Wehrmacht was quite literally doped to the gills with performance-enhancing drugs...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When Cortes arrived in Mexico, Tenochtitlan was bigger and cleaner than any other European city then in existence. For all the supposed "primitive" nature of Amerindian culture, the fact is that they were a fairly sophisticated and accomplished culture--If they'd had sufficient exposure to the rest of the world, in terms of disease and transmission of technology, the odds are pretty good that the majority of them would have survived, and Cortes would have wound up as a grease spot on one of the causeways.

In a lot of ways, it was sheerest luck that our ancestors came out on top--Had the disease vectors run the other way, in favor of the Amerindian cultures? We would have never managed more than a Norse-style toehold on the continent. As it was, the majority of the native populations had immune systems keyed into parasites, not diseases, and first exposure to Old World diseases wiped them out.

There is a lot of solid data behind the theories laid out in 1491, and the successor volume which went over the effects of the Columbian Exchange on the rest of the world. There is a lot of stuff we were taught in school that was plain wrong, and a lot of our confidence in the nature of our vaunted technology and culture is either misplaced or mistaken. Absent the diseases that fortuitously wiped out the Mexica and other populations, Cortes would likely have gone down to a rather ugly defeat, swamped under numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

read the book 1491

book on Amazon

The average IQ of the native populations was abysmal, it still sucks even after hundreds of years of interbreeding with Europeans.

They can PC it up to try explaining it away but they just weren't that smart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if the Native Americans were any less smart than the Europeans. Same with the natives in Central and South America. What I do know is they were isolated. IMO, that isolation resulted in technical stagnation. Those who lived around the Mediterranean Sea mixed their respective cultures for thousands of years. They spread language, customs, and technology. Some had no choice but to look to the sea, which resulted in the creation of boats capable of keeping men alive for weeks on end. The Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest, for instance, had much smaller boats capable of day trips, yet they were able to use those small boats to take whales of all sizes.

IMO, North America was wasted on the natives. They didn't have the technology to exploit its vast resources. Someone was going to take it from them. It was just a matter of time. Better us than Spain.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The average IQ of the native populations was abysmal, it still sucks even after hundreds of years of interbreeding with Europeans.

View Quote
Yeah... Care to try again, and with something that could actually, y'know, be verified?

I'd never have the arrogance to suggest that there is even any way to effectively ascertain something like that, and if you stopped to think about it, you'd be embarrassed to have even made that assertion. The data simply isn't available, and to suggest that what remained to interbreed with the conquering Spanish represented anything other than the most random sample of the intellectuals of those societies...? Insane. What survived the apocalyptic nature of those epidemic diseases wasn't the flower of civilization, and given the random nature of the disease effects, couldn't have been. Trying to assess the general intelligence of a population from what remained would be ludicrously foolish, not to mention the deliberate destruction of so much of their culture by the Spaniards. It's only by sheerest accident that any of the various codexes have survived, and what is in them indicates tantalizing glimpses into what might have been in the rest. Trying to say that the people who produced that stuff, without any of the various advantages that European culture had...? Nuts.

The work that indicates you're out on a limb would be the complex and sophisticated nature of a lot of their accomplishments, both in terms of construction and mathematics. Their calendars and astronomical observations were at least as accurate as ours are, and in some cases, even more so. There are sites up in the Andes where we can't even say for sure how the hell they built the damn things, or managed to do the stonework, which is why the "Ancient Astronauts" theories get so much credence. Everybody is so sure that the Amerindian cultures couldn't have done those things, so of course, it had to be "aliens".

Frankly, I don't think there is really any way we could even begin to make a case, one way or another. There's so much that we don't even have a clue about--Look at all the huge earthworks they're starting to excavate in the Amazon, where early Spanish explorers reported huge cities and massive cultivation. A few generations after those guys transited the areas, likely taking diseases with them, and there was nothing left but jungle that we've only begun to look underneath of. Hell, de Soto may have single-handedly wiped out what was left of the Mound-Builders here in the Southeastern US, what with his introduction of the pig and the various zoonotic diseases they brought with them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't know if the Native Americans were any less smart than the Europeans. Same with the natives in Central and South America. What I do know is they were isolated. IMO, that isolation resulted in technical stagnation. Those who lived around the Mediterranean Sea mixed their respective cultures for thousands of years. They spread language, customs, and technology. Some had no choice but to look to the sea, which resulted in the creation of boats capable of keeping men alive for weeks on end. The Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest, for instance, had much smaller boats capable of day trips, yet they were able to use those small boats to take whales of all sizes.

IMO, North America was wasted on the natives. They didn't have the technology to exploit its vast resources. Someone was going to take it from them. It was just a matter of time. Better us than Spain.
View Quote
They were and still are today, on average.

We can make deductions that the native populations at the time they were first encountered were less intelligent than their modern counterparts. The countries in the region with the highest average IQs today, are the ones with the most European crossbreeding and highest percentage "white" populations, Argentina for example. The ones with comparably higher Mestizo populations have lower average IQs. They've benefitted from crossbreeding but it hasn't totally bridged the gap.

To put it simply, the higher the percentage of European genes, the higher the average IQ.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah... Care to try again, and with something that could actually, y'know, be verified?

I'd never have the arrogance to suggest that there is even any way to effectively ascertain something like that, and if you stopped to think about it, you'd be embarrassed to have even made that assertion. The data simply isn't available, and to suggest that what remained to interbreed with the conquering Spanish represented anything other than the most random sample of the intellectuals of those societies...? Insane. What survived the apocalyptic nature of those epidemic diseases wasn't the flower of civilization, and given the random nature of the disease effects, couldn't have been. Trying to assess the general intelligence of a population from what remained would be ludicrously foolish, not to mention the deliberate destruction of so much of their culture by the Spaniards. It's only by sheerest accident that any of the various codexes have survived, and what is in them indicates tantalizing glimpses into what might have been in the rest. Trying to say that the people who produced that stuff, without any of the various advantages that European culture had...? Nuts.

The work that indicates you're out on a limb would be the complex and sophisticated nature of a lot of their accomplishments, both in terms of construction and mathematics. Their calendars and astronomical observations were at least as accurate as ours are, and in some cases, even more so. There are sites up in the Andes where we can't even say for sure how the hell they built the damn things, or managed to do the stonework, which is why the "Ancient Astronauts" theories get so much credence. Everybody is so sure that the Amerindian cultures couldn't have done those things, so of course, it had to be "aliens".

Frankly, I don't think there is really any way we could even begin to make a case, one way or another. There's so much that we don't even have a clue about--Look at all the huge earthworks they're starting to excavate in the Amazon, where early Spanish explorers reported huge cities and massive cultivation. A few generations after those guys transited the areas, likely taking diseases with them, and there was nothing left but jungle that we've only begun to look underneath of. Hell, de Soto may have single-handedly wiped out what was left of the Mound-Builders here in the Southeastern US, what with his introduction of the pig and the various zoonotic diseases they brought with them.
View Quote
Somehow, I get the feeling that he's about to go full 88 on us here pretty quickly. It seems to be leading up to that point.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may have accomplished great things for a Stone Age culture but they were nothing compared to the people who conquered them, that's why they were conquered. Tough break on the diseases but it only hastened the inevitable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Somehow, I get the feeling that he's about to go full 88 on us here pretty quickly. It seems to be leading up to that point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go look up the IQ data yourself, it's hardly a secret. It's just something mainstream education and media try to avoid addressing.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

read the book 1491

book on Amazon

The natives of Mexico were still in the city-state phase, were they not? If Tenochtitlan was in fact cleaner than European cities, it was because they didn't burn coal for heat. The weather in Central Mexico rarely calls for the need of fossil fuels, IIRC. Not to mention I don't think they knew how to mine coal even if they needed it. Hell, I don't think they even had invented steel yet. Not even iron.

As far as warfare, the Europeans (Spain) were able to take large areas of land with small forces. If they had brought a full-sized invasion force like they did to England during Elizabeth I's time, they would completely dominate the natives in record time. Not a Viking like win, but a total domination win. The Spanish had firearms and artillery. Even if the natives had access to these weapons, Spain would have still kicked their ass. Spain had years of experience with firearms and artillery, not to mention access to written military tactics from the Romans onward.

The natives didn't have jack. They didn't stand a chance, disease or no disease. The fact Spain dominated with such small numbers says it all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Erm...the aqueduct?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We can make deductions that the native populations at the time they were first encountered were less intelligent than their modern counterparts. The countries in the region with the highest average IQs today, are the ones with the most European crossbreeding and highest percentage "white" populations, Argentina for example. The ones with comparably higher Mestizo populations have lower average IQs. They've benefitted from crossbreeding but it hasn't totally bridged the gap.

To put it simply, the higher the percentage of European genes, the higher the average IQ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying it, but someone may say the IQ tests are biased in favor of European cultural norms and European ways of looking at and approaching problems.

Or maybe the natives were dumb asses, I don't know. Some of them seemed fairly advanced, maybe up to the level of ancient Egypt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Go look up the IQ data yourself, it's hardly a secret. It's just something mainstream education and media try to avoid addressing.

http://www.devilsdictionaries.com/uploads/2/7/3/8/27389329/319972_orig.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brits smarter than the Irish.
Spanish smarted than the Portuguese.

Is there a pattern there?

Irish tended to be isolated.
Portuguese tended to be isolated.
Hmm...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not saying it, but someone may say the IQ tests are biased in favor of European cultural norms and European ways of looking at and approaching problems.

Or maybe the natives were dumb asses, I don't know. Some of them seemed fairly advanced, maybe up to the level of ancient Egypt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some East Asians (Japan, S.K. Singapore) tend to whoop the Europeans, so that kind of shoots down the tests being biased in favor of Europeans theory.

That's been a common criticism for a long time so they've become pretty good at eliminating cultural and language factors. It's mostly pattern recognition and other non-cultural test questions. If they can understand the concept of an IQ test they shouldn't be disadvantaged by culture or language.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hmm...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm...
All of the smartest Irish people GTFO and came here or elsewhere, just like today how the smartest third worlders flee to countries with more economic opportunity. So what's left but the dummies?

Portugal is only a couple points less than Spain but the color coding makes them a different shade due to where they drew the line.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Pussies.

That bum stick setup is pretty ghetto though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The natives of Mexico were still in the city-state phase, were they not? If Tenochtitlan was in fact cleaner than European cities, it was because they didn't burn coal for heat. The weather in Central Mexico rarely calls for the need of fossil fuels, IIRC. Not to mention I don't think they knew how to mine coal even if they needed it. Hell, I don't think they even had invented steel yet. Not even iron.

As far as warfare, the Europeans (Spain) were able to take large areas of land with small forces. If they had brought a full-sized invasion force like they did to England during Elizabeth I's time, they would completely dominate the natives in record time. Not a Viking like win, but a total domination win. The Spanish had firearms and artillery. Even if the natives had access to these weapons, Spain would have still kicked their ass. Spain had years of experience with firearms and artillery, not to mention access to written military tactics from the Romans onward.

The natives didn't have jack. They didn't stand a chance, disease or no disease. The fact Spain dominated with such small numbers says it all.
View Quote
The Europeans weren't burning coal in those days, either...

I was talking about minor little things like public sanitation and so forth--It's an embarrassing fact, but a huge part of why the Euros probably managed to prevail came down to shitty personal and public hygiene. That, and zoonotic diseases from domestic animals that the Amerindians mostly didn't have. In North America, the natives had pretty sophisticated agriculture in terms of planting nut trees and other things we didn't recognize as being done deliberately. The American Chestnut was probably an excellent example, and a leading cause for why the population of Passenger Pigeons exploded after the great die-offs following the Columbian Exchange. Same-same with much of what's in the Amazon basin--Just because they weren't going out and plowing the land doesn't mean they weren't practicing a fairly sophisticated agriculture. Many of the plants and soils in the Amazon are now being recognized as being remnants of man-made activities, not nature.

The laughable thing is that everyone assumes an entirely unwarranted set of things about the colonization era. Like as not, without the shitty sanitation and the prevalence of diseases in Europe, the same thing that happened to the Viking settlements would have happened to the Elizabethan English--They'd have been swamped by the locals. Interesting data point, too--The Norse were notable for being overly hygienic by just about everyone else in Europe at the time. They insisted on clean settlements, bathing, and all sorts of other practices that the average European of the Elizabethan era would have thought both effete and unnecessary. The Euros who came over after Columbus were some filthy, nasty people--The Indians they encountered on the shores of North America all made comment on that, and also were disgusted by the filth in their settlements. This was the era when they thought it was fine to just chuck the contents of their chamber pots out into the street in front of their homes. Try that in an Indian village of the era, and see what happens--The individual trying that would have been driven out into the forest.

It's an ugly truth, but poor public sanitation and shitty personal hygiene are probably what gave us the Americas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#34]
All USMC officers at the basic school do 15 miles at ~4mph with ~75lbs of gear.  Infantry Officer's Course bubbas do significantly more at a much higher op tempo (3-4 hours of sleep per night with constant ops for a week or two on end).  15miles @4mph w/ 75lbs would ruin 90% of units in the Marine Corps.  

If our focus was grunting & fighting with our hands, sure, but our mil is all tech oriented today.  Not much juice out of the marching squeeze for most units in 2017.  Fatass navy turds sickitate me with their appearance but I'd rather have a chubby, skilled boat driver than a crayon eating PT stud.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The natives of Mexico were still in the city-state phase, were they not? If Tenochtitlan was in fact cleaner than European cities, it was because they didn't burn coal for heat.
View Quote
Because they slaughtered their beasts of burden thousands of years ago and had no large animals shitting up their streets. Manure in cities dwarfed human waste. In fact, in the 1800s it was theorized that manure build up would limit city size. Then the car came along and that problem went away.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haha, Ireland!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the dumbest, toughest criminals fled or were exiled from Asia over the land bridge into Alaska and the Americas. They never had much to work with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Europeans weren't burning coal in those days, either...

I was talking about minor little things like public sanitation and so forth--It's an embarrassing fact, but a huge part of why the Euros probably managed to prevail came down to shitty personal and public hygiene. That, and zoonotic diseases from domestic animals that the Amerindians mostly didn't have. In North America, the natives had pretty sophisticated agriculture in terms of planting nut trees and other things we didn't recognize as being done deliberately. The American Chestnut was probably an excellent example, and a leading cause for why the population of Passenger Pigeons exploded after the great die-offs following the Columbian Exchange. Same-same with much of what's in the Amazon basin--Just because they weren't going out and plowing the land doesn't mean they weren't practicing a fairly sophisticated agriculture. Many of the plants and soils in the Amazon are now being recognized as being remnants of man-made activities, not nature.

The laughable thing is that everyone assumes an entirely unwarranted set of things about the colonization era. Like as not, without the shitty sanitation and the prevalence of diseases in Europe, the same thing that happened to the Viking settlements would have happened to the Elizabethan English--They'd have been swamped by the locals. Interesting data point, too--The Norse were notable for being overly hygienic by just about everyone else in Europe at the time. They insisted on clean settlements, bathing, and all sorts of other practices that the average European of the Elizabethan era would have thought both effete and unnecessary. The Euros who came over after Columbus were some filthy, nasty people--The Indians they encountered on the shores of North America all made comment on that, and also were disgusted by the filth in their settlements. This was the era when they thought it was fine to just chuck the contents of their chamber pots out into the street in front of their homes. Try that in an Indian village of the era, and see what happens--The individual trying that would have been driven out into the forest.

It's an ugly truth, but poor public sanitation and shitty personal hygiene are probably what gave us the Americas.
View Quote
None of which explains why they were so technologically stunted compared to the Europeans.

We've been in the era of PC for half a century or more. People have spent that time trying to come up with theories as to why the natives were steamrolled so easily. Something that explains away the obvious qualitative disparity between them and the Europeans, and gives them as much credit as possible for being an "advanced" civilization.

They weren't, it's bullshit, they lost to the better civilization because that's how it works.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Start at .45sec and ask yourself why the world tends to follow that "European" norm....

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Erm...the aqueduct?
View Quote
Oh yeah, they did give us that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
4 mph is decent but doable.
View Quote
It depends on the terrain.  I walk 3.5-4.0 mph up and down hills (about 447 ft deferential).   Flat no problem with load.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
From Steinhab:

This is for Roman history buffs, so if you don't like history, skip this:

Romans by and large were never that mobile of a force. A lot of that wasn't due to the inability of the soldiers themselves, but came down to the overall mobility of the army, its mules, oxen, etc., and the logistical situation. Men can't walk faster than they can be fed and watered, can't walk faster then an ox cart/wagon carrying supplies. What this means is the standard daily march of an army would be wake up at dawn, eat breakfast, break down camp, march about 10-12 miles to the next watering hole/bivouac site, build new camp. Not fast but faster than most barbarian armies, more disciplined, with a much superior logistics system that allowed the Romans to out maneuver their enemy.

It is noted that Marius reformed his army in North Africa (Jugurthine War) to make it more mobile, which makes sense since the enemy they faced fought unconventionally, predominately with light infantry and cavalry, and had the support of the local population, while the Romans were constantly being harassed and ambushed while they unsuccessfully tried to trap the enemy army. Marius didn't so much as create new techniques, instead he took little used pre-existing TTPs and applied them to his army in Africa, then his army in Gaul (Cimbri War), where all told he commanded major theater armies for seven straight years (107-105 BC, 104-101 BC). Owning to the successes Marius had, and that most future top notch generals are known or suspected to have served with him in Africa or Gaul, this explains the great transformation of the Roman army in skill and training during the Late Republic.

When it comes to mobility there is the Marius' Mules, which possibly was created to explain Marius, as a young officer, being a stickler for inspecting the mules. But the more common explanation is the increased load for the common foot soldier, it deals with him removing the traditional personal mule that all soldiers had been allowed to bring (if they had the means to own it). But mules eat more food and drink more water than people, while the army definitely needed a mule for the mess section/tent group as well for other groups, the normal infantryman didn't need his own mule. So Marius abolished the use, sold off the extras, making the men carry all their own equipment, using a single mule per tent mess section to carry collective equipment (tents and shit). He did the same with personal slaves, he allowed a single Calo (camp servant) per tent section (and to mind the single mule), with only officers allowed to have their own man. Marius is not the first one to do this, Philip II did it with his Phalanx, previous Roman generals had done something similar. With Romans, it was a common custom for armies operating in hilly Spain as they chased bandits and rebels. And it just so happens that Marius spend most of his adulthood campaigning in Spain (this is hugely important).  It greatly eased the logistics burden, making the army more mobile, with less fodder needed, less foraging needed to be conducted (which was time consuming and which led to ambush),

Next, the Furca, the marching pole. Marius didn't create that either, sources describe conditioning marches with heavy loads a hundred years before Marius, though they don't mention furca, they would have had to have used them to carry the heavy loads, as they did not carry rucksacks. Again, this is something that armies occupying Spain were known to use, as they needed more mobility to deal with guerrillas, rebels, bandits. While previous generals only used these advanced TTPs for tough theaters, Marius was the first to take these advanced mobility TTPs and apply them to "normal" use in other wars, like in Africa and Gaul, and then his successors used them everywhere, so the techniques became standardized. The furca allowed a comfortable method of carrying a few days worth of prepared food (hard tack, salted meat, etc), water, extra tunics, foraging gear, entrenching equipment, hygiene equipment, etc. With the scutum shield carrying on the back like a backpack (it is known to have rings screwed into it for this function), with the furca sitting on top of the scutum.

Caesar, nephew of Marius, was probably the most mobile Roman general ever. His audacious speed marches were so impressive that even today its hard to believe, thirty Roman miles a day for weeks at a time. He outmaneuvered all his enemy, whether they be Gallic warriors or fellow Romans, who did not possess armies capable of moving with such speed. Caesar slashed everything that could slow him down, and having a large army of 4-12 legions in a single theater, he could detach numerous legions to protect the slower baggage train (large stockpiles of food and fodder, siege equipment, forge equipment, booty) while the main force of his legions could speed march with a few days worth of food and little else, with those forces actually being led by a force that was not even carrying any additional equipment, just arms and armor (with their sustainment equipment carried in the main force mule supply train).

Caesar's tradition carried on, with both Marcus Antonius and Augustus/Agrippa using Marius' and Caesar's mobility TTPs. Those same techniques would go on when Augustus cemented the Pax Romana, and the legions became professional, long standing garrison units.
View Quote
Really good read. Presumably this is why Caesar's legions faced real threat of starvation in the Gallic campaigns?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
The roads.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
The roads.
View Quote
Well, obviously the roads.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The roads.
Sanitation!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
The roads.
View Quote
View Quote
Sanitation!
View Quote
But, apart from the sanitation, the aqueduct, and the roads...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Irrigation?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Irrigation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irrigation?
Alright... but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system, and public health... what have the Romans ever done for us?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Alright... but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system, and public health... what have the Romans ever done for us?
View Quote
Brought peace?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top