Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/1/2003 9:18:58 AM EDT
Just curious as to what your opinions are on those 3 cars... I'm looking right now and I was curious as to what you guys know about them.

Thanks

Shawn
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Yuppie scum!
Live simply so that others may simply live!
[;)]

Shawn, go test-driving first and foremost. They're all good products, but what's important is whatcar you like the most. Who knows better what will make you happiest than you?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Lexus: overpriced Toyota
BMW: Used to like them, had one myself years ago, but not only did they lose their touch, they seem to be the "car of choice" for "innercity criminals" these days.
Mercedes: they all look like they are now trying to copy Lexus

Alternative: a nice Audi A8
[img]http://www.autointell.com/european_companies/volkswagen/audi-ag/audi-a8-03/audi-a8-side-01-350-193.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.allee.de/fahrberichte/images/audi-a8-1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's my take.

BMW- if you take care of them, they will last well into 300k. But you gotta do the service visits @ the dealer.  They are fairly bulletproof - very hard to hurt

Benz- Not as reliable as BMW but still fun cars to drive.  Can be very costly to own.

Lexus- Imitation high-end car invented in the late 80's.  Just an over-prices Honda/Toyota (cant remember who started Lexus).  Lexus is just a knock-off - an invented name similar to the "Boy Band" illness thats going around.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]
First don't limt your options if your ar looking for luxry autos look at all of them then decide what you like. Personaly I just purchased a 2003 Jaguar X-Type for my wifes birthday. It runs and rides like a dream. Choose what you like and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just an over-prices Honda/Toyota (cant remember who started Lexus).
View Quote

Lexus = overpriced Toyota
The overpriced Hondas are called Acura.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's my take.

BMW- if you take care of them, they will last well into 300k. But you gotta do the service visits @ the dealer.  They are fairly bulletproof - very hard to hurt

Benz- Not as reliable as BMW but still fun cars to drive.  Can be very costly to own.

Lexus- Imitation high-end car invented in the late 80's.  Just an over-prices Honda/Toyota (cant remember who started Lexus).  Lexus is just a knock-off - an invented name similar to the "Boy Band" illness thats going around.
View Quote

I've really been leaning towards the BMW... I hear they are reliable, which is important to me... I like the looks of em too...

Shawn
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Depends.

If you like the thrill of driving, handling etc, go for the BMW.  I have a 2001 325Ci.  It's a trip to drive - "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

Want a little more luxury with less driving feel, pick Mercedes.

If I'd go with a Japanese car, I'd pick the Infiniti G-35 coupe.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#9]
BMW - slightly more youthful and sportier edge.

MB - more stately, lap of luxury type.

Lexus - don't have the sense to pay the same money for a BMW or MB.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Mercedes builds some of the ugliest cars on the road.  I don't understand the attraction.

There is no way to get excited about an over-priced rice burner.

I guess that leaves the Beemer.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my take.

View Quote

I've really been leaning towards the BMW... I hear they are reliable, which is important to me... I like the looks of em too...

Shawn
View Quote

Go with an M3 and never look back
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
BMW...it ensures that your mechanic will never starve!

Mercedes:  it ensures that your mechanic will be buying a new house soon!

Lexus...a fancier Toyota, and your mechanic doesn't want you to buy it because he'll never get any money out of you because it won't break!

BMW: Unreliable, expensive Eurotrash

Mercedes:  Unreliable, expensive Eurotrash built by former Nazis

Lexus:  Built by hard working Americans and Japanese together.

Gee, ya think I've got an opinion?

CJ
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#13]
BMW: 330Ci and Xi are VERY nice....very quick and built better than the last two iterations.  The other motor options just leave me wanting more "GO".

Mercedes:  I guess I'm not old enough to appreciate their lower model cars the C and E classes, but the S class is stellar.

Lexus:  The only car I currently like in the Lexus lineup is the GS430 and LS430.  The IS300 is now out contention with the C class Mercs and 3 series Bimmers.  All their other cars can be had from Toyota for less...

The Mercedes and BMW maintenance bills will be about 1.5 times that of the Lexus -- not implying they will break more, it is simply more expensive for factory work.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my 528i.

Lebrew
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
BMW: Unreliable, expensive Eurotrash
Mercedes:  Unreliable, expensive Eurotrash built by former Nazis
View Quote

Now why are Mercedes workers Nazis, and BMW workers not? Or vice versa? And what makes the Japanese so much better than them? Besides, retirement age in German was 65, last time I checked, so I doubt there are any "former Nazis" still employed there. In addition to this, you do know that the BMW Z4, the M Coupe, and the X-5 SUV are built in Spartanburg, South Carolina; and Mercedes has a factory in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
oh this is easy

Thankfully for me, me and my buddies sacraficed an arm and a leg to own these kinda cars..

Unless ur getting a top of the line luxury car, you would want to go with the BMW.

Mercedes in general have nasty re-sale values, and its only something you would want to get if you plan on owning for the next 8 years or so. Either that or lease it. Their technology is great but the drive isnt as fun as a bmw. its more of an old guy showing off car and really, benz is overpriced. Unless you have cash to blow, don't get it. Not even a used one. Trying to fix broken parts really puts a hole in your wallet.

As for lexus, the IS and ES are not the best of cars. They're riced out and are nothing more than luxury toyotas. However, a GS, RX, and LS are in a category of their own. My dad had a midlife crisis last october and bought an ls430. All i can say is it is damn worth the 63,000 he paid. But hes an old guy, if i had the money i would've gotten the gs430, its a good 7 G's difference between the two, but the GS is much more of a younger guy's car....

Now as for BMW, their 3-series and 5-series are definitely the best bets for the money. Even though i prefer the handling of the older 3-series (e-36) the newer e-46's have the same solid engine and more junk to play with inside the car. Resale values are relatively good, and the ride is fun. The 5-series which is about to be phased out can be a good buy if you have the money, since dealers are preparing to bring in the new 2004 5-series. The newer ones have a really neat Heads up display system, but damned if I know if it'll be useful or not. The current model though is a very fun car to drive, and is IMO a good car for anyone who can afford it. Not as zippy as the 3-series (unless u get the 8 cylinder version) but its ride and comfort more than makes up for it.

I would never get the bmw 7 series, its just too overpriced. I would rather get an s-class if i was an old guy and had to decide between the two....

Just my two cents...

Anyway,If i wanted a good bet, Id go with the bmw 325i. Need more power? get an m3...
Theres a lot of almost new 01 325i
s that would be a good investment.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 5 series and have no complaints other the cup holders suck. I am looking into a X5 for the tax advantages. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the 3.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I have owned a 2001 BMW 530i and loved it. The fit and finish was incredible. There were no problems at all with the car.

I now own a 2002 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG and I firmly beleive that God is a fan of German auto engineering. This car is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#19]
holy smokes,

u put up the cash for an 55 amg?

I humbly bend my ass over for thee...
Please run that mercedez up into here [BD]

do you mind if i ask how muchyou paid for it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#20]
VW PASSAT: just like an Audi A6
VW TOUREG: Exactly the same as Porsche Cayanne
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Out of the 3 I would take the BMW, I had an 85 325 for about 3 years and loved it. I traded it in Feb for a GMC P/U...  Next time I buy something like that... I would like to look into a CTS.. (that doesn't meen I am getting old does it?.. I am only 27 [;D])
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I own an 1989 BMW 325i 2dr. Selling it today, hopefully.

Anyways, this car has been nothing but problems. One thing goes after another (IE tranny went out week after I bought it, etc etc). But let me tell you, I do like this car. It handles GREAT, does 0 to 60 in 8 seconds or less with 141k on it.

In fact I even rolled the car off an embankment. The only thing it took to make it driveable again was a 35 dollar tie rod end.

Dispite it's fuel managment problems (car randomly shuts off while driving, and acts like it is running out of gas when you start it back up), it's still a great car and I wouldnt will definately be buying another (but newer w/ warrenty)
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't get you guys bashing Lexus... WTF? From my experience:

BMW: Nice, breaks down a lot (I owned one)
Mercedes: Nice, breaks down even more (Friend owned one)
Lexus: Nice, very reliable (Friend owns 2 of them)

None of them are really "overpriced" for what you get, Mercedes do run a bit high in my opinion though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#24]
This is what you need: [b]BMW M5[/b].
[img]http://bmwusa.com/assets_client/vehicles/m/0351/ga_0351_f_rear34.jpg [/img]
400 HP and the best brakes of [i]any car![/i]  The ultimate street sleeper.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't know who is telling people that BMW are reliable.  When I lived in Germany for 5 years - BMW stood for Bayerische Mist Werke (Bavarian Crap Works).  The only people who bought BMWs were kids (300s) and adults who culdn't afford the Mercedes they really wanted (500s and 700s). They have always had a reputation for developing problems (particularly engine problems) fairly early on.

I'm sure they've gotten better over the years, especailly with the up-scale image they've developed in the U.S., but my understanding is that they're still not up to Mercedes/Lexus quality and reliability standards by a long shot.

Have you considered one of the big Volvo's?  Some of them are really nice cars, and if you get something with a turbocharger, they have great performance and are really fun to drive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All i can say is it is damn worth the 63,000 he paid.
View Quote

Holy empty wallet Batman!  I paid slightly over double that for my house!

Ask yourself this question, rather than having payments, if you had the cash, would you spend it all on the car?  This changes things drastically, as the magnitude of the decision isn't spread over years.  This is how I try and view all these decisions.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
holy smokes,

u put up the cash for an 55 amg?

I humbly bend my ass over for thee...
Please run that mercedez up into here [BD]

do you mind if i ask how muchyou paid for it?
View Quote

We traded in the BMW and paid cash for the difference. The sales price was in the high 70's before the trade value and before taxes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#28]
For me it all depends on what you want to spend and what you want the car to do.  It sounds like all you want it to do is impress people, so it really doesn't matter which one you pick, although the Mercedes emblem probably still carries more clout for now.
If you want the car for something other than the "look at me" factor, let us know, and how much you want to spend so we can make informed recommendations instead of just posting useless opinions based on rumor, urban legend, and other such nonsense.
By the way, for those that can't seem to get this, cars are Bimmers, motorcycles are Beemers.  If you want to have a hope of making people think you actually know what you're talking about you might want to try to get this straight in the future.  It's kind of like the whole "magazine/clip" thing.  Failure to use the right terminology shoots your credibility all to shit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just an over-prices Honda/Toyota (cant remember who started Lexus).
View Quote

Lexus = overpriced Toyota
The overpriced Hondas are called Acura.
View Quote

The overpriced Nissans are called Infinity.
The overpriced Chevys are called Cadillacs.
The overpriced Fords are called Lincolns.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm sure BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus all make cars I could live with.

However, I have heard to many reliability horror stories with BMWs. they also seen to be a entry level Yuppie car. People who want to to THINK they have money, or who expect to have money someday, drive a BMW.

Mercedes? I'm only 32, maybe when I'm 72 i'll consider a Mercedes.

Lexus has some very nice sport sedans. I saw a charcoal grey one, with polished wheels and an all black leather interior the other day. Definately a car I would drive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I think that lexus has really turned a corner in the last couple of years. They were overpriced toyotas, but they have finally come into their own.

I would personally go for the BMW, as I have driven many of the three, and I think the BMW is the best overall buy. As others have mentioned, they will last forever when taken care of.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#32]
What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

The porcupine has the pricks on the outside...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#33]
good stuffy wiggy...

I agree.
Bmw's will last long if you know how to take care of it and you get the bmw tools. That way you can change your own oils and do your own service. One of the most basic important tool is the service light reseter. A simple plug and switch device that resets service light indicators...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, I can't speak for the BMW or the Mercedes, but I would avoid lexus by all means.  My neighbor had one and it was nothing but problems.  He wound up dumping it with only 40,xxx miles on it.  I also have a friend in town that had one and it had major engine trouble.  He said something about the oil thickening over time.

AR15fan, aside from the Esclade, what Cadillac is based on a Chevy?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#35]
The only MB that I want is the S55 Kompressor and CLK-GTR.

If I could afford one of those I can afford to maintain it.

[img]http://images.andale.com/f2/130/125/7606038/1054325640030_03_Mercedes_S55_Blk_5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#36]
BMW no contest
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I am only 35 and that CLK is a true sports car with an emphasis on luxury.

Porsche are sports cars with little or no emphasis on luxury, ala no cup holders and barely a glove box!

Between the BMW and the Mercedes that I have owned, there is no comparison. The BMW feels like a economy car with a lowered level of sophistication while the AMG is refinement, class, style, and all at 350 horses!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

And don't forget the
Overpriced VW = Audi
Overpriced Opel = Saab
Overpriced Mitsubishi = Volvo
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am only 35 and that CLK is a true sports car with an emphasis on luxury.

Porsche are sports cars with little or no emphasis on luxury, ala no cup holders and barely a glove box!

Between the BMW and the Mercedes that I have owned, there is no comparison. The BMW feels like a economy car with a lowered level of sophistication while the AMG is refinement, class, style, and all at 350 horses!
View Quote

It's apples and oranges comparing your AMG 55 to a BMW 530.  The M5 would be more in the same ballpark as the AMG.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#40]
You really didn't say what you wanted in a car.  If you just wanted good family transportation, you would get a Toyata and put a million miles on it.  I must assume that you want either luxury or sport.

My buddy has 2 M3 BMWs (one is for his wife).  It was a blast to drive, but there are plenty of horror stories.  [url]http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm[/url]

I am not impressed with the C class Mercedes, but the CLK is very nice.  If you really want one, step up to the E or S class.  I have driven several Mercedes, and they had the most solid feel of any car I have been in.  

I have only riden in one Lexus, and that was several years ago.  It seemed like a nice car, but to be honest I would rather have a Camry, and spend the money I saved on strippers.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Neither, damm it, I can't afford any of them, I hate you [:(!]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#42]
An AMG has a hand built and fitted engine.  As well as many hand appointed pieces in the interior.  The old AMG's were handsewn leather interiors, not sure if they still are...as well as handmatched walnut wood trim.

The M5 comes closer to being a good comparo...

As I pointed out earlier, the Mercedes might strike a chord when I'm 45 or 50...at 28 they just don't cut it.

However, my current disposition of autos is AWD and turbo'ed.  My next itch may the '95 RX-7 R2...

Ask CampyBob, the CLK is NOT a SPORTS CAR!!!! [nana]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well, I can't speak for the BMW or the Mercedes, but I would avoid lexus by all means.  My neighbor had one and it was nothing but problems.  He wound up dumping it with only 40,xxx miles on it.  I also have a friend in town that had one and it had major engine trouble.  He said something about the oil thickening over time.

AR15fan, aside from the Esclade, what Cadillac is based on a Chevy?
View Quote

The Catera rode the Malibu frame....do they still make the Catera?? [BD]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For me it all depends on what you want to spend and what you want the car to do.  It sounds like all you want it to do is impress people, so it really doesn't matter which one you pick, although the Mercedes emblem probably still carries more clout for now.
If you want the car for something other than the "look at me" factor, let us know, and how much you want to spend so we can make informed recommendations instead of just posting useless opinions based on rumor, urban legend, and other such nonsense.
By the way, for those that can't seem to get this, cars are Bimmers, motorcycles are Beemers.  If you want to have a hope of making people think you actually know what you're talking about you might want to try to get this straight in the future.  It's kind of like the whole "magazine/clip" thing.  Failure to use the right terminology shoots your credibility all to shit.
View Quote

Isetta would be a "Beemer-powered Bimmer"
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And don't forget the
Overpriced VW = Audi
Overpriced Opel = Saab
Overpriced Mitsubishi = Volvo
View Quote

The overpriced Lincolns are called Jaguar.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Wait for the Audi RS6.  450hp biturbo, bicooled
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Some of you asked why I wanted a higher end car.

Mostly because I figure it'll last me a while. I plan on buying a late model used car so I don't get the instant depreciation that new car owners have to put up with. I want something that'll last a long time, and will be relatively maintenence free.

I currently own a Honda Accord, and it's been awesome maintenence-wise, and I've had no problems with it. I'd get another Accord, but I'd like something maybe a little more fancy this time around.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Shawn
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Next time you see an expensive foreign car you want, go to the hardware store, spend $5.00 on a hammer, and whack yoursef in the forehead till the car desire goes away.
You'll save mucho money and have less headaches.

I wish someone had hit me before my first Porsche.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Mostly because I figure it'll last me a while.
View Quote

You're joking right?  Have you read ANYTHING that's been posted above?  Most of your "higher end" cars are junk when it comes to reliability and maintenance.  Why do you think resale on them sucks so bad?
Do more research.  Do alot more research.
I have a link saved at work that you should see in terms of vehicle cost of ownership, reliability, resale value, etc.  It's very illuminating.
Unfortunately it ranks the little Lexux SUV very high, but like most have posted the Lexux is just a gold plated Toyota, so the only real reason to get one is to impress your friends.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mostly because I figure it'll last me a while.
View Quote

You're joking right?  Have you read ANYTHING that's been posted above?  Most of your "higher end" cars are junk when it comes to reliability and maintenance.  Why do you think resale on them sucks so bad?
Do more research.  Do alot more research.
I have a link saved at work that you should see in terms of vehicle cost of ownership, reliability, resale value, etc.  It's very illuminating.
Unfortunately it ranks the little Lexux SUV very high, but like most have posted the Lexux is just a gold plated Toyota, so the only real reason to get one is to impress your friends.
View Quote

Yes, I've read this whole thread. Most people seem to say good things about BMW. I would like to see that link with the info you're talking about, that'd be great. I'm just trying to educate myself here.

Thanks

Shawn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top