Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There is no one left to challenge her in the LPGA. The only place to go is up. I say let her play. She has proved herself and can do MUCH better than what you saw to day!! She had a bad day!! Shal I list some of the names of the players she beat yesterday?

Scott Simpson [b]Who?[/b]
Lee Janzen  [b]Sucks[/b]
Sergio Garcia [b]Had a bad day[/b]
Steve Elkington [b]Sucks[/b]
Peter Jacobsen [b]Sucks and needs to stay in the booth[/b]
Tom Lehman [b]Game going downhill fast![/b]
Bob Estes [b]Sucks[/b]

Just to name a few. I bet they want to forget it!!

A lot of guys on the tour suck. But the top guys have to play against SOMEONE. That's what crappy guys like Janzen are for. Just to beat up on. Sorenstam would be just another one of those "crappy guys". I say go ahead and let her play with the big boys. If she can improve and hang with them good for her. But I bet she's miss a shitload of cuts and it won't be worth her time. She'll crawl back to the LPGA on her hands and knees.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#2]
What's this mean?

It means back to the kitchen.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Shes the Tiger Woods of ladies golf,and look at the line up she played against.   She thought this would be a Billy Jean King thing against Bobby Riggs!

Wrong she ran out of gas,you got to be a big dog to run with the big dogs.   Women at this level of anything physical can not match men.

The greatest female 440 runner will never beat the worlds best male440 runner,because they are both world class and her buns of steel will never match his buns of steel!

The greatest anything physical woman ,will never
beat the greatest anything physical man!

That's the way the species is made!  Even in the animal kingdom it is the same.   Some of the only exceptions are in the insect and spiders!

Praying Mantis,and Black Widow.

That said she gets a ten from me for giving it a hell of a try.

That being said women should and can become excellent pilots,race car drivers,pool players,and CEO's since they control 3/4 the money and all the_____!

Why they don't rule the world is beyond me!

Bob [:D]   [BOOZE]   [BOOZE]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Women actually do excell in some sports beyond men. For example, long distance swimming. All records, past, present, future belong to women. Diving and gymnastics  are also a couple of sports that women are better at than men. However, golf is not one of those sports.

As far as the game being mental, Sorenstams mental game is considered the best in the entire sport. Better than men as well. I was reading in Sports Illustraded about her. The stats I read were pretty amazing. There was a comparison to tiger woods and it showed that tiger would get himself into tight places but has the ability to get out of them. Sorenstam doesn't get in tight places. Her accuracy is phenomenal. As I have said before, Annika did not show her real talent at the Colonial. She is a much better golfer than what she played yesterday.

For those who say she should go back the LPGA and stay there, I don't think we know enough about her game to say that yet. When you were learning to drive stick shift in a car, did you kill the engine three times in a row and then quit? Did you decide that it was just to hard? I think that we need to see her in a couple of tournaments before we can totally write her off. She now knows what she is up against so next time she will be better prepared. Remember she shot 71 on her first round. That is good enough for a mid pack finish.

Someone said earlier that it was her short game that failed her. I couldn't agree more. Her putting is usually awsome but the second round, she couldn't put to save her life.

I think there is even more pressure on her to redeem herself now. She MUST do this again next year in order to save womens golf. By finishing 96th, she has put women to shame and has shown that the best women atheletes compaired to the best male atheletes are mediocre at best. If she doesn't do the colonial next year, people will say the same things that many of you said, that she should "stay where she belongs". It will be a huge set back if she isn't on the colonial next year for womens golf. If she does well, it will merely prolong the debate.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually yes....there have been occasions of 'men' playing 'womens' sports. HBO I think it was Inside Sports, had an expose on a kid who played field hockey on a girls field hockey team, and the amount of furor it created. Basically, every excuse was given from "he's taking away a spot that belongs to a girl" to "he's so big he'll hurt any girl out there". When questioned as to whether or not there was a double standard in play, the protestors basically said "yes, but we don't care...he doesn't belong there". Just wanted to share that tidbit.

Hehehe....as to tennis....there's been a standing invitation by John McEnroe to play an exhibition match with either of the Williams sisters. To date, several years after it was made (and repeated)...no response. Not surprising....the top 10 women's players wouldn't even be able to reach the top 25 or top 10 on the men's circuit. I've followed the game for years, and I usually go to a number of live events, and the difference between mens and womens play is, to say the least, STAGGERING. Serve speed, spin, rallies, endurance...it's just at a different level entirely. It seems like it's similar in golf.

What does it all mean. Kudos to Sorenstam for trying, and let's just let things go back to the way they were.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
This is very simple to me.

If the women want to play mens golf, then its open season. Tiger can now play (and actually win) an LPGA event, open season. Fair is fair, since thas what the 'pro annas' wanna cry.

Women have their sports and men have theirs. This is pc feel good bs brought to us by those who conspire to destroy the family unit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about we let Sampras, Agassi and Hewitt play in the womens's Wimbledon and see what's up?
View Quote

I suppose if they can no longer compete among the men or have blasted EVERY title and can no longer be challenged by their peers, sure let`em play with the girls.

Your missing the point!
View Quote

Nope, I'm not missing any point.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Diving and gymnastics  are also a couple of sports that women are better at than men. However, golf is not one of those sports.
View Quote
Women's gymnastics is NOTHING like men's gymnastics. You're not even comparing apples to oranges here, you're comparing apples to prime rib.

Quoted:
As far as the game being mental, Sorenstams mental game is considered the best in the entire sport. Better than men as well. I was reading in Sports Illustraded about her. The stats I read were pretty amazing. There was a comparison to tiger woods and it showed that tiger would get himself into tight places but has the ability to get out of them. [red]Sorenstam doesn't get in tight places.[/red]
View Quote
[b]BZZZT!!!

Wrong[/b]

She got into a tight spot this weekend - and couldn't get out.

That's what separates the really good from the great in any sport.

Quoted:
For those who say she should go back the LPGA and stay there, I don't think we know enough about her game to say that yet.
View Quote
No, she should go back and start over trying to QUALIFY and EARN a spot in the tour like any other guy who finishes 96th should.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:56:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Sewer_Urchin is right though, American women own their male counterparts in long distance swimming.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:34:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Macallan,

Women do quite well in gymnastics. Compare floor routines and there are many things in the realm of flexibility that men cannot touch. However, this is a separate issue and at this point you are splitting hairs. Get over the fact that there are good women athelets.

As far as Annika not getting into tight places, Maybe you didn't read my earlier posts. I stated that this tournament was not a fair representation of her skills. In other circumstances, I think she would have done much better. She is one of the best technical golfers out there male or female. Check out her stats and you will understand. She rarely misses a fairway and she rarely gets herself into trouble like her male counterparts but she screwed up. Everyone has a bad game once in a while and this was one of hers. As far as her short game, that was suppose to be her redeeming factor because she is better than practically anyone else out there. But in this instance it was her short game that did her in.

Finally, I agree that from now on she should have to qualify to be on the tour. Not to save spots for men, but to prevent herself from humiliating herself again. Lets face it, if they will let John Elway, or Charles Barkeley on with a sponsorship exemption, anyone, especially anyone who can play as well as Annika should be allowed in on a sponsorship exemption. These exemptions don't take anything away from anyone. They are there simply to help struggling golfers and to (gasp)garner public interest. Mission accomplished. However, this media circus was a one time thing. Next year if she does this again will not be remotely as popular.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top