Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2003 5:25:25 PM EDT
Sorenstam missed the cut. Is it over for womens golf? I was hoping that she would at least be competetive and be able to save some face, but she was like 15 strokes behinde the leader. Before all this started, my thinking was that this was a no win situation. If she did poorly, it would be a setback for womens golf. If she did well it would be bad for men's golf. Well, now that she did poorly, and this is over, I think we are were we were to begin with. Women's golf has taken a step back in my opinion. I hope she does another tournament and does well. I seriously think she is a better golfer than we saw today.

Kind of sad. I thought she was much better than that. I figure with that kind of pressure, it would be hard to perform. I hope she plays at least one other tournament because I think this one is a fluke. She is a much better golfer than I saw. Her short game was trash and that is what her redeeming factor was suppose to be.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It just means men are still better at playing with their shaft and balls.   At least with their hands.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]
AH HAAA HAAAA!!!!! "shaft and balls"  [ROLF2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It means women need to stay the hell out of mens "sports"
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Who??????[BD]

And is she hot?

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
It means she played awful today compared to yesterday. If she had played like today in a LPGA event she would be back in the pack-though she probably would of made the cut.

She should try again next year at the same event.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I think a bunch of guys should end their sexist exclusion from women's golf. It would do so much to tear down barriers if some of them played in some major LPGA tournaments.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I know there are a bunch of NASCAR haters out there but I see a paralell here. Winston Cup is the pinicle of NASCAR racing and the Busch series is like the farm league. The Busch series is acknowleged as the lesser of the two because the cars and driver don't have the same resources available to them. However, NASCAR allows racers from Winston Cup cross over and "test" their cars on the Busch circuit. This overall hurts the Busch guys because they can't match the winston cup guys financially like the women can't meet the men physically. In essence, men going down to the LPGA would be "fair" but it would hurt the LPGA. The Busch series is in serious trouble because the Winston Cup guys are sucking all the money out of it. Hell the points leader is on the verge of bankruptcy. THE POINTS LEADER!!! WTF??!!

Men going to the LPGA would suck. Those guys who do should not be allowed to show their faces in public. Totally shameful. Anyhow, I think that if Annika performed well, like if she made the cut, she should be allowed on the tour.

Lets change the facts for a sec. What if she won the tournament? Should she be allowed to graduate to the Winston Cup or Men's tour? Afterall, there isn't anything that says that women can't compete in the rules. There are however rules that you have to be born a woman to compete in the LPGA. Let me make one thing clear though. She should have had to qualify. This whole sponsorship exemption is okay the first time around, but now she needs to get in line like the rest of the guys. If she wants to test herself, she needs to prove she can hang. So far she has not done that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It means that the best woman golfer in the world comes in 96th in a mens tournament and would have probably done worse if it weren't such a short course.

I personally think that she has done a disservice to womens golf by really showing how they square up to men. What's next, a girl in the NBA getting dunked on and her shots slapped 20 rows back?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Ponyboy, I agree with you. I think that she has done women's golf a disservice by finishing 96th. I also agree that she would have done far worse on a longer course. However, I don't think that this tournament was a real showcase of her real talent. I think she is a much better golfer than 8 over or whatever she shot. I think she needs to be on a couple of tournaments to really get a feel for how good she is. If she falls flat on her face, well... it will prove that women should stay in their place. If she does well... well, we will prolong this debate a little further. Overall, I don't think that I could have put it any better. She has done women's golf and women in general a disservice.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lets change the facts for a sec. What if she won the tournament? Should she be allowed to graduate to the Winston Cup or Men's tour? Afterall, there isn't anything that says that women can't compete in the rules. There are however rules that you have to be born a woman to compete in the LPGA.
View Quote

Then somebody should file a discrimination suit. Sauce that is good for the gander is good for the goose.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Tacticalman, my point is that there aren't any rules in the PGA that restrict women as entrants. There are however rules that prevent men from entering in the LPGA. Is that what you meant that an anti-descrimination suit should be filed? Please clarify. I will stand by my original position that I think Sorenstam is a good player and that she needs another chance to prove her skills. If she sucks again, then women should learn to stay out of men's sports. However, if she does well, someone needs to change the rules to keep women from embarassing themselves, like making them qualify. And I think that if she can't redeem herself, she has done all of golf a huge disservice. I don't buy it when she says that she never expected this kind of scrutiny. She knew what she was getting into, but I still think she is a good enough golfer to finish mid pack with the men.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
She played in one of the easier tournaments on the schedule and played against mostly the scrubs. Very few top caliber players at this event.
If she wants a true test of herself, or to show what women can really do against the men, then go to Q school like everybody else, get your card and play the tour. Tee it up against the top players in a crowded field of contenders and see what happens.
First time she plays in a major, especially the U.S. open, that will send her back to the lpga for good.
It was sad and funny to see all these people cheering her as she misses chips and putts and cards a 5 over. Short game means so much at this level and she ain't got it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]

It means two things:

1) The best women's golfer in the world can't even compete against "middle-tier" men on the easiest (shortest) course in the entire PGA tour - so this SHOULD be the end of mixing unqualified women into the PGA.

BUT....

2) Much more importantly - the PGA and the networks made TONS of [b][green]$$$$$$$[/green][/b] on this and so - this will NOT be the end of mixing women into the PGA.

Not by a long shot.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]
There is no one left to challenge her in the LPGA. The only place to go is up. I say let her play. She has proved herself and can do MUCH better than what you saw to day!! She had a bad day!! Shal I list some of the names of the players she beat yesterday?

Scott Simpson
Lee Janzen
Sergio Garcia
Steve Elkington
Peter Jacobsen
Tom Lehman
Bob Estes

Just to name a few. I bet they want to forget it!!

She beat 34 of the guys on the first day!!
So its ok for those guys to have a bad day and not her? hmm? You people are not quite giving her the credit she deserves. She can WHIP alot of the GUYS on tour. And she will in the near future. I say let her play.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
It just means Tiger wasnt there and they had to pull some stunt to draw a crowd.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Her boobs got in the way.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]
No Tampax dispensers in the bathrooms at the old course?

Nobody watching "The View" on the television in the clubhouse at Pebble Beach?

Fewer pink golfballs in water hazards nationwide?

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#19]
What does it mean?

I means that she did better than ALOT of people thought she would.  She put up respectable numbers, especially considering the press/public attention and pressure she was under.

Funny thing is, if her putting was anywhere near as good as the rest of her game (her poor putting cost her 5-10 strokes easy), not only would she have made the cut, but she would probably be in the running.

A couple of other comments:

She said before this all happened that this was a one time thing for her.

That this particular course fit her game.  It is a course that requires accuracy on drives and irons, and that is something she has.  As one of the guys in her grouping said 'she is a machine' when it comes to accuracy.

And btw, for whoever equated short with being easy, you must not play much golf.  Some of the toughest holes in the world are not long ones.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#20]
The only thing I noticed throughout the whole time I watched her was how much she looked like Tonya Harding...watch your knees boys!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And btw, for whoever equated short with being easy, you must not play much golf.  Some of the toughest [red]holes[/red] in the world are not long ones.
View Quote
I DO play golf and a shorter [red]course[/red] IS easier - for the short-hitting womenz. [brick]

You gotta admit - out of all the PGA courses, this one of the easiest.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Her boobs got in the way.
View Quote
Oh. So THAT'S why she musta left them in the clubhouse.

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Shal I list some of the names of the players she beat yesterday?

Scott Simpson
Lee Janzen
Sergio Garcia
Steve Elkington
Peter Jacobsen
Tom Lehman
Bob Estes

View Quote

You're listing these guys? Really? Good lord.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Like many have said,it means that even though she is extra ordinary on the womens tour and can drive it 270+(damn good with accuracy),she's nothing special against the men.

I'm pretty sure most everyone new this,certainly those that make their living in or around professional golf.

I heard another absurdity today(I think on pardon the interruption)about someone wanting Serina Williams(according to experts the quickest,strongest most powerfull women)being matched up against a man.

Not the very best mind you,but maybe one of the smaller pro's.

She'd get smoked.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is no one left to challenge her in the LPGA. The only place to go is up. I say let her play. She has proved herself and can do MUCH better than what you saw to day!! She had a bad day!! Shal I list some of the names of the players she beat yesterday?

Scott Simpson
Lee Janzen
Sergio Garcia
Steve Elkington
Peter Jacobsen
Tom Lehman
Bob Estes

She beat 34 of the guys on the first day!!
So its ok for those guys to have a bad day and not her? hmm? You people are not quite giving her the credit she deserves. She can WHIP alot of the GUYS on tour. And she will in the near future. I say let her play.
View Quote

I have no problem with her or other women playing in the PGA.....as long as they go to Q school, earn their cards like all the other guys.
I'd be willing to bet that even if she played as many tournaments as she does in the lpga, she would'nt make one cut, much less EVER win a tourney...God help her if she ever did EARN her way into a major.
She may have nothing left to prove in the lpga, but she will never amount to anything other than an oddity in the pga.
I say let her play too.....it won't take long before those who are screaming and cheering for her as she shoots 5 over par figure out that there are better golfers to watch.
Its' kinda like if I go to a NFL game to watch Walter Payton tear it up but instead, I watch raashaan sallaam stink it up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#26]
How many of you guys want to see Shaq on the uneven bars?  That would be a joke and ugly!  But small females have the advantage at that sport.  No matter how accurate Annika's game is, she cant keep up with guys that drive 300+ yards consistantly and accurately.  Any NBA team would smoke the top notch women's team.  Same thing with football or any male dominated sport. But, some women will out shoot men at long bow archery.  So it depends on the sport. There are theories that women would make better fighter pilots.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#27]
i'm not a golfer..

but, i forced to witness it on TV and forced to work with people who live by it..so i've picked up on a thing or two..

granted..i think the womenz need to stick to their league..in any sport..
BUTTTTTTTTTTtttttttttttttttttttttttttt

i personally dont think very many people are giving that swede the credit she deserves in the sport of golf.

to even set foot on a course to try and make the cut you have to be pretty damn salty with a club..

i can assure you that the men had a pucker factor of being black labled as being 2nd to a girlie-woman..

her accomplishments on the LPGA seem to make the infamous tiger woods look weak.

i think she could stroke atleast 50% of the men out of the cut at any tourniment 2/3'ds of the time.

golf is different..its all personal stress and performance.

you cant blame anyone else for mucking up the play. not like baseball...or even coed softball.
BTW..

i played college baseball and i can assure you that some of those softball dykes could tag your slow ass out and make it hurt..

i learned alot about COED sports from being around those girls in college.

PS..

as a competition shooter growing up..

the best shooter i ever saw...and i'll admit..kinda easy on the eyes..

was a 14 Y/O, she was the most consistant-calm marksman i think i have ever seen..even to this day.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:04:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And btw, for whoever equated short with being easy, you must not play much golf.  Some of the toughest holes in the world are not long ones.  
View Quote

So you're telling me that it isn't easier to hit a wedge in than a 4-iron? You're saying that distance doesn't mean anything in the game of golf because some short holes are hard? Why even have a bag of clubs if you could just hit putter everytime since distance doesn't matter? Why does Tiger Woods hit his drives so far if it doesn't make his second shot easier? I guess there's no point in "going for it" on any hole if it's just as easy to "lay up", huh?

Since you're the golf expert, next time you go out and play leave everything from your 5-iron on down at home and come back and tell us how much your handicap increased or decreased from your previous round. That should prove your theory one way or the other.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:33:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

So you're telling me that it isn't easier to hit a wedge in than a 4-iron? You're saying that distance doesn't mean anything in the game of golf because some short holes are hard? Why even have a bag of clubs if you could just hit putter everytime since distance doesn't matter? Why does Tiger Woods hit his drives so far if it doesn't make his second shot easier? I guess there's no point in "going for it" on any hole if it's just as easy to "lay up", huh?

Since you're the golf expert, next time you go out and play leave everything from your 5-iron on down at home and come back and tell us how much your handicap increased or decreased from your previous round. That should prove your theory one way or the other.
View Quote

Jesus.

in golf a Long course or hole does not always equal hard or difficult

and short does not always equal easy

IT depends upon the hole and the course.

You can have a 8000+ yard course that is extremely easy, if you have huge fairways and acre sized flat greens, where everyone can just go out and blast away with the Drivers and Fairway metals.

You can also have a less than 6000 yard course that is next to impossible if you dont have the accuracy, because of narrow fairways and postage stamp multi-level greens.  

As to the idiotic 5 iron crack, It all depends on the course.

IT is better to be shorter and accurate than long and all over the place on ANY course, but on wide open courses it isnt as important.  Sure being a club or two closer is handy if you are all on the fairway, but it sucks if you arent.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Jesus.

You can have a 8000+ yard course that is extremely easy, if you have huge fairways and acre sized flat greens, where everyone can just go out and blast away with the Drivers and Fairway metals.

You can also have a less than 6000 yard course that is next to impossible if you dont have the accuracy, because of narrow fairways and postage stamp multi-level greens.  

IT is better to be shorter and accurate than long and all over the place on ANY course, but on wide open courses it isnt as important.  Sure being a club or two closer is handy if you are all on the fairway, but it sucks if you arent.

View Quote

We're talking about the PGA here. There are no acre sized greens or huge fairways. You also don't get into the PGA by being all over the course.

Everybody talks about how accurate Sorenstam was and how many fairways she hit. She didn't make the cut. Accuracy is nothing if you don't have distance when you are playing against the best in the world.

You must be a short knocker to get so defensive. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Also, take it for what it's worth, but every golf course that I've ever been on has had 4 different sets of tees for each hole, a womens, front, middle and back. I usually see the shitty players playing from the front and the best players play from the back, occasionally we'll play the tips.

If the distance doesn't make any difference they why so many different tees? Why not just have one?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:00:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus.

View Quote

We're talking about the PGA here. There are no acre sized greens or huge fairways. You also don't get into the PGA by being all over the course.

Everybody talks about how accurate Sorenstam was and how many fairways she hit. She didn't make the cut. Accuracy is nothing if you don't have distance when you are playing against the best in the world.

You must be a short knocker to get so defensive. [:)]
View Quote

Actually I am not, I just have no accuracy, I get killed routinely by a guy that I out drive by 50 yards.

She didnt miss the cut on the tee, or on the fairway, she lost in on the greens, where everyone is equal.  The 'pga quality' greens and the pressure is what made her miss the cut.

Like the old addage says:

You drive for show, you putt for dough.

If you three putt consistantly, it doenst matter if you hit the green in reg or under reg, you will lose.

here are her stats:

Score: 145 (5-over)
Position: T96
Players she beat: 11 (including Bob Estes, Geoff Ogilvy, Scott McCarron, Kevin Sutherland, Craig Perks and Mark Brooks)

Off the tee ...
Driving average: 268 yds.
Fairways hit: 85.7 percent (24/28 - T3 in the field)

Scoring ...
Birdies: 2
Pars: 27
Bogeys: 7
Others: 0

Breakdown ...
Par 3s: Even
Par 5s: Even
Par 4s: 5-over

On the greens ...
Greens in regulation: 66.7 pct. (24/36 - T53)
[red]Putts per GIR: 2.125 (111th)
One-putts: 10
Three-putts: 4[/red]

Percentage of putts made ...
Less than 5 feet: 96.5 pct. (28/29)
5-10 feet: 55.5 pct. (5/9)
10-15 feet: 50 pct. (2/4)
Beyond 15 feet: 0 pct. (0/22)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I think she should give vijay a good wet hummer That might get the masses watching golf on tv.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I think she did OK under the circumstances. IMO, Tiger Woods is the only player out there who could have played at the top of his game under that kind of pressure and scrutiny. He feeds on it. Annika's short game failed her. Anyone who plays golf can testify to the fact that under pressure, the short game is the first to go.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Let me be the first to say:

I'd hit it!

[sex]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Good, I got tired of seeing her ugly mug plastered all over the front page of the paper ( front page cover, sports page too! ).  ESPN would show highlights and shim would the only one they would show.

How about we let Sampras, Agassi and Hewitt play in the womens's Wimbledon and see what's up?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How about we let Sampras, Agassi and Hewitt play in the womens's Wimbledon and see what's up?
View Quote

I suppose if they can no longer compete among the men or have blasted EVERY title and can no longer be challenged by their peers, sure let`em play with the girls.

Your missing the point!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:14:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I suppose if they can no longer compete among the men or have blasted EVERY title and can no longer be challenged by their peers, sure let`em play with the girls.

Your missing the point!
View Quote

I think most of you are missing the point.
The *REAL* agenda behind this publicity stunt was to put pressure on Augusta to let women in there.
But then, there is also the deeper, more Orwellian agenda regarding reproduction. You must have knots on your head if you can't figure out the big picture on this one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The *REAL* agenda behind this publicity stunt was to put pressure on Augusta to let women in there.
But then, there is also the deeper, more Orwellian agenda regarding reproduction. You must have knots on your head if you can't figure out the big picture on this one.
View Quote

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (AFDB)

[img]http://zapatopi.net/afdb/afdbhead2.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think she did OK under the circumstances. IMO, Tiger Woods is the only player out there who could have played at the top of his game under that kind of pressure and scrutiny. He feeds on it. Annika's short game failed her. Anyone who plays golf can testify to the fact that under pressure, the short game is the first to go.
View Quote

Isn't that what she wanted? I think someone said that 90%(or something like it) of the game is mental. If she didn't want all of the "pressure and scrutiny," she should stick to the LPGA.

The only golf I played is miniture, but I kinda followed the events, you can't help it, shes all over the news, and not just in the sports part of it either. My personal opinion is that she can play there, and why not, as long as everyone plays by the same rules, i.e. not cutting her slack because she is a female. We are looking for the best player, if she can beat the men, then so be it.

Anyone remember Chris Evert? She used to married to John Lloyd, I understand that he used to beat her regularly at tennis, and she was the top-rank ladies play, and he was just a so-so player. How about women's basketball? Personally for me it just moves too slowly. But anyway point is that women are not the same as men, in terms of strenght.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Isn't that what she wanted? I think someone said that 90%(or something like it) of the game is mental. If she didn't want all of the "pressure and scrutiny," she should stick to the LPGA.
View Quote

I believe it was Ben Hogan who said "golf is 100% physical and 100% mental". He was right. And so are you. She said she wanted to test herself. She also said that this would be a one-time deal. The tournament sponsor offered her a once in a lifetime opportunity to play in a PGA Tour event and she jumped on it. Can women athletes compete with men regularly on a level playing field? I don't think so. But the gates have been opened and I think down the road we'll be seeing more women in PGA events as long as the rules don't specifically exclude them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#42]
The problem isn’t letting the ladies into men’s sports (as was pretty clearly show here); the problem is letting men into female sports.

That would put most of the ladies in the bleachers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#43]
How about in the real world who cares. It is a game has no effect on the tides, or the cycles of the moon, or whether you wake up in the morning on your left or your right side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The problem isn’t letting the ladies into men’s sports (as was pretty clearly show here); the problem is letting men into female sports.

That would put most of the ladies in the bleachers.
View Quote

I don't think that will happen. I don't know of any reports of men entering ladies sports, I think most guys worth their salt won't even bother. What I mean is, men will do it as a gimmick or novelty, witness Bobby Riggs and Billy Jean King tennis match; but on the whole, no men won't do it as a serious endeavour  because the men are very competitive. So what if you beat-out every female on the court, no big deal and nothing to write home about.

Personally for me, I really admire Sorenstam just for showing up and participating, it must've been pretty intimidating. Personally if it were me, I'd be scarced $hitless. How of many us did really well for the first time at anything? I remember my first time at then shooting range, I was pretty sad & bad because up to that point every I knew about guns came from watching Miami Vice TV show.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#46]
It's all about the "Benjamin's"!

Show me the money!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#47]
It means she never should have been there inthe first place.

She was a sponsored entrant and did not even have to earn the priviledge of playing.

Afirmitive Action strikes again!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
…  I don't know of any reports of men entering ladies sports, I think most guys worth their salt won't even bother. What I mean is, men will do it as a gimmick or novelty, witness Bobby Riggs and Billy Jean King tennis match; …
View Quote

Agreed.  However, add some substantial cash awards to this and I think it could happen, particularly for men who can’t make it on the male side.  

Incidentally, IIRC Bobby Riggs was basically a hustler and was accused of staging this stunt for his own financial benefit – though I totally forget the particulars.

…Personally for me, I really admire Sorenstam just for showing up and participating, it must've been pretty intimidating. ...
View Quote

True, but –

I sometimes taught firearms where I used to work, back when female LEO’s were uncommon.

I always tried to have at least one or two females in the class to put the pressure on the guys!!   Guys [b]really[/b] didn’t like being outshot by females and seemed to take things quite a bit more seriously when that was possible!!

I suspect the men at this tournament also felt more than the usual pressure!!   [:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#49]
The PGA is the Pro Golfers Assoc. It doesn't mention gender in it's rules.

Since the PGA has been formed other leagues, LPGA, Senior LPGA, Senior PGA etc. have been formed. They have resrtiction on who can join by age, or gender etc.

Playing "by invitation" isn't rare in the PGA. They offer "invitations" regularly.

The only big deal about this is the people who choose to make it a big deal. The golf course, golf clubs, golf ball, etc. etc. don't react differently to the gender of the person playing.

So what, she did so-so. She did better than some men, and worse than more.

SHE COULD KICK ANYONE ON THIS BOARDS ASS AT GOLF ON YOUR HOME COURSE. think about that. She was in the lower finishing group on that course. She's still better than 99.9999999999% of the people who have ever played golf.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't think it means squat, regardless how she places.  If she can qualify for an event, she can play.  Anyone who qualifies in any sport is there because they have previously shown they belong there.  Did I expect Sorenstam to finish in the top 10?  No.  Is she finishing dead last?  No.  If she did finish last, it would prove to all the nay sayers that she was better off not trying.  What it ultimately proves is how inflexible (threatened) some people are to diversity, mainly those who are in PGA.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top