Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2016 10:16:46 PM EDT
I always take my Ruger GP100 .357 with me when I go hiking/camping. I usually just load it up with your standard off the shelf HD ammo.  I'd like to get something hotter.....the most powerful loads I can get.  Something that won't leave me thinking "crap, I wish I would have bought a more powerful load" if I ever have to pull it and use it on a pissed off 4-leg creature.  

So far, I've seen that Buffalo Bore makes a " Heavy 357 Mag Outdoorsman " load that's a 180gr hard cast bullet being pushed at 1,400fps and 783ft/lbs.  

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=162

Is there anything better out there?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
.44 magnum

then the big boys calibers...

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I always take my Ruger GP100 .357 with me when I go hiking/camping. I usually just load it up with your standard off the shelf HD ammo.  I'd like to get something hotter.....the most powerful loads I can get.  Something that won't leave me thinking "crap, I wish I would have bought a more powerful load" if I ever have to pull it and use it on a pissed off 4-leg creature.  

So far, I've seen that Buffalo Bore makes a " Heavy 357 Mag Outdoorsman " load that's a 180gr hard cast bullet being pushed at 1,400fps and 783ft/lbs.  

View Quote

Shouldn't that be enough?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That shit would be awesome in my airweight J Frame.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Try ol' Shakey's down at the bait shop.

His magn'm bullets really pack a whallop.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
.44 magnum

View Quote

Apparently reading comprehension is too much for some people.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's like saying....why would you ever want a 30rnd AR mag......isn't 20 rounds enough?  

"Enough" is really a pretty fluid term. Just wondering who makes the most powerful stuff you can buy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Buffalo bore would be where I started. After that you're dealing with bubba the reloader selling zip lock bags of ammo at a gun show.

The first time I shot a 357 was in a friend of a friends gun. He offered to let me shoot it so I did. The kick was crisp. When I went to eject the rounds, the brass was pretty stuck in the cylinder. I asked him what brand of ammo he was using. That's when he informed me his uncle had reloaded him some "hot" stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
That's 10mm power. Plenty for anything you're going to run into in your area. I've seen a very pissed off, unbroken horse get dropped with 3 rounds of FMJ from a G26. Realistically, you'll be better off with plain old WWB hollow points that you've practiced with and can shoot well rather than an uber magnum load that you haven't used before.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'd like to get something hotter.....the most powerful loads I can get.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's 10mm power. Plenty for anything you're going to run into in your area. I've seen a very pissed off, unbroken horse get dropped with 3 rounds of FMJ from a G26. Realistically, you'll be better off with plain old WWB hollow points that you've practiced with and can shoot well rather than an uber magnum load that you haven't used before.
View Quote

Yeah, that's a good point. If I bought a bunch of that Buffalo Bore ammo......would it end up tearing up my GP100 if I shot a bunch of hot rounds through it for practice?

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably not, that's a pretty stout load in its own right....but they are expensive!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#13]
would it end up tearing up my GP100 if I shot a bunch of hot rounds through it for practice?
View Quote

Nope.

I doubt most people could afford the amount of Buffalo Bore ammo necessary to loosen up a GP100...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's a good point. If I bought a bunch of that Buffalo Bore ammo......would it end up tearing up my GP100 if I shot a bunch of hot rounds through it for practice?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  GP100 is a brick shithouse, you can run as many full house rounds through it as you can afford to buy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Load your own. Just fill that case up with bullseye and a mag primer.  It'll be one hell of a blast.  (Don't do that, it'll blow up, really.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your GP100 is built like a tank. I doubt there's a commercial load out there that will tear that up. A S&W 19 or 66, on the other hand wouldn't take the abuse of a steady diet of those .357 thumpers at all. 686 or 27 would be OK. Don't even think about doing it with a Python or Trooper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Load your own. Just fill that case up with bullseye and a mag primer.  It'll be one hell of a blast.  (Don't do that, it'll blow up, really.)
View Quote

Thought about reloading my own....I currently load really light lead bullet rounds for plinking.  Not sure I want to mess with loading up super hot magnum rounds...I will leave that to the pro's.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Bang for the buck I carry this in the woods...  180gr and pretty hot, not Buffalo hot tho

See it on sale sometimes for 30-35 bucks for 50x

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
9mm 147gr HST.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I hand load for my GP100 and found a nice heavy load. Cant remember off hand what it is. But I did some sizzling hot light hollow point loads and some slow burning powder heavy loads. I like the heavy ones best. I think it was 158 grain bullet  with 14 grains of 2400 powder.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I shot some Buffalo Bore .357 mag out of a Taurus 605.  Holy fucking ouch.  Never again.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've shot the BB 180 grain out of my gp100 its controllable and powerful.  There may be hotter, but that's hot enough for .357.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't need the most powerful .357 round to kill stuff, I've had buddies kill brown bears and Polar bears with the the little ole 7.62×25mm, it cut through the skull like a hot knife through butter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, that's almost my 10mm ;)

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't need the most powerful .357 round to kill stuff, I've had buddies kill brown bears and Polar bears with the the little ole 7.62×25mm, it cut through the skull like a hot knife through butter.
View Quote

I'm sure you could kill a grizzly with a bb gun if you tried hard enough

Has GD turned into the place for people to post their facebook comments?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had a 10mm I wouldn't be carrying my .357

Hard to be a GP100 though.......especially for a trail gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

......would it end up tearing up my GP100 if I shot a bunch of hot rounds through it for practice?

View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#28]
10 grns of blue dot under a 170 grn hard cast bullet will do anything you need to do for a few cents a round if you load your self.  Pm Me if you want more info

I ran these through my chrono with a 4 " revolver and averaged 1425 fps.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the .357; however, if you want more power you really need more bullet.

And when it comes to more bullet, get a  45 Colt.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk and you can shoot 340 grain bullets that will absolutely crush any living target.

9 grains of Unique will provide 880 fps with the 340 grain bullet in a Ruger Blackhawk.  And a hard cast bullet of this weight will shoot through both sides of a buffalo.

And it is still relatively controllable.  More bullet.  Not more velocity
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thought about reloading my own....I currently load really light lead bullet rounds for plinking.  Not sure I want to mess with loading up super hot magnum rounds...I will leave that to the pro's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loading heavy loads is no different than light loads.  Just use good reloading data and start at the low end  and work up to the high checking for signs of over pressure.

And 1400 fps is about all you're going to get with 180 gr bullets without exceeding the pressure limit.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Was in Wyoming for ten days.  Was going to traipse around Jellystone an the Bighorns a good bit, was unarmed, so bro let me borrow his GP100. Nive gun, BTW.  Got some of those BB hardcasts for travelling.  Shot most of them up at the end of the trip.  Impressive round and gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#32]
GP100s are so over-engineered it's just about impossible to blow one up. You'll blow primers long, long before you actually hurt the gun.

Remember, with those 180gr 1400+fps rounds, you're getting close to 30 carbine territory out of an M1. That's pretty impressive from a little old handgun. Those 1400fps loads also are out of a 5", if you have a 6" GP, they're even faster.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's like saying....why would you ever want a 30rnd AR mag......isn't 20 rounds enough?  

"Enough" is really a pretty fluid term. Just wondering who makes the most powerful stuff you can buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Capacity vs. per-shot energy & momentum are different things. This is why I like my G20L - plenty of mass & energy on target, 15 rounds on tap, and I can reload quickly and easily.

Having said that, the Buffalo Bore Heavy 180's would be a reasonable field choice for a .357 revolver.  I know I don't really want to shoot anything stouter.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, the Buffalo Bore load is the way to go.  It is completely safe and well within acceptable pressures.... it is not an overpressure or high pressure load...... completely safe.

180 Gr. out of a 4 inch or longer .357 Magnum revolver will put just about anything alive down with good shot placement.

ETA:  Those loads out of a Marlin 1894c rifle are fantastic and turns the rifle into a reliable whitetail killer out to about 150 yards.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.44 magnum

No I comprehend just fine...you just posted the hostest 357 factory load that I am aware of so the next best thing is 44mag
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe check with Chip's Hailstone son.He kills monster BB with his .243 rifle also. Yes real life living, not fantasyland .
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
10 grns of blue dot under a 170 grn hard cast bullet will do anything you need to do for a few cents a round if you load your self.  Pm Me if you want more info

I ran these through my chrono with a 4 " revolver and averaged 1425 fps.  
View Quote

Just shot you a PM

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I personally would like telekinesis as my super power. Think about it. you can move yourself with your mind, so you can fly. you can make a shield against bullets. Heck you might even be able to bend air and make yourself invisible. It is like a multi power super power.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I personally would like telekinesis as my super power. Think about it. you can move yourself with your mind, so you can fly. you can make a shield against bullets. Heck you might even be able to bend air and make yourself invisible. It is like a multi power super power.
View Quote

And you could move your .357 bullets really, really fast!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I remember something about IMI having the hottest commercially available round.  It wasn't intentional, it was just wicked hot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll have to try those in my Winchester lever gun
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have a Ruger Blackhawk and you can shoot 340 grain bullets that will absolutely crush any living target.

9 grains of Unique will provide 880 fps with the 340 grain bullet in a Ruger Blackhawk.  And a hard cast bullet of this weight will shoot through both sides of a buffalo.

View Quote

This.   Performance in a pistol round is measured in penetration.  Penetration is all about cross sectional density.  High velocity light rounds risk fragmentation.   Get the heaviest hard cast bullet you can find.  

Animals don't "give up"   they are either DRT or they ride the adrenaline rush and you have to wait for them to bleed out.   Punching big, deep holes makes sure they bleed out faster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#44]
.357 maximum.  I have a Contender with it, real wrist breaker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Remington_Maximum
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the stuff is getting out of hand. In the spotting scope thread a guy was saying that he could see bullet holes at 200 yards with his eyes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.44 magnum

he is right, the solution is more gun
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#47]
.357 Maximum.

(.300AAC is a better choice)

Who is going to be the first to make a revolver in this caliber or did I already miss it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.44 magnum

Let me comprehend this for you:  "Is there anything better out there?"

The answer is clearly yes.   And, that answer does not lie within a Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow! Fluffy and I completely agree.
There's a reason Elephant, Cape Buffalo, etc., are not hunted with a 22-250
Give me a big, heavy, (slow) bullet any day over a little fast one
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The answer is clearly yes.   And, that answer does not lie within a Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
.44 magnum

That wasn't the original question...there is always something "Better".  I was looking for "Best" in .357mag.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top