Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/22/2016 12:51:41 AM EDT
I'm going to start this thread as a sincere effort to allow Trump supporters to convince me that he is the man for the job. It is no surprise to anyone that I despise the guy, and at this moment have no intention of voting for him. His history speaks volumes, and in my view he has done nothing to pro e his change is genuine. So I'm placing much more emphasis on his track record than his current rhetoric and policy papers. So I'm asking you to provide me with evidence tht he has sincerely changed.

To prove that I'm not BSing, or looking to start a debate. I'm going to o my best to refrain from countering arguments offered up by the Trump camp. I reserve the right to ask clarifying questions, but I'm not looking to push back, and I respectfully request that Trump opponents refrain from arguing with the Trump supporters. There are plenty of threads for that. I've said my vote has to be earned, and if that's the standard I'm holding candidates to, it's only right that I afford them the chance.

So, I'm going to sit back, and read what I hope are thoughtful, and perhaps convincing, arguments to back Trump should he get the nomination.

Thank you.

And again, I'm asking the Trump opponents not to engage in a back and forth debate.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]
1st!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yawn
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm going to start this thread as a sincere effort to allow Trump supporters to convince me that he is the man for the job. It is no surprise to anyone that I despise the guy, and at this moment have no intention of voting for him. His history speaks volumes, and in my view he has done nothing to pro e his change is genuine. So I'm placing much more emphasis on his track record than his current rhetoric and policy papers. So I'm asking you to provide me with evidence tht he has sincerely changed.

To prove that I'm not BSing, or looking to start a debate. I'm going to o my best to refrain from countering arguments offered up by the Trump camp. I reserve the right to ask clarifying questions, but I'm not looking to push back, and I respectfully request that Trump opponents refrain from arguing with the Trump supporters. There are plenty of threads for that. I've said my vote has to be earned, and if that's the standard I'm holding candidates to, it's only right that I afford them the chance.

So, I'm going to sit back, and read what I hope are thoughtful, and perhaps convincing, arguments to back Trump should he get the nomination.

Thank you.

And again, I'm asking the Trump opponents not to engage in a back and forth debate.
View Quote

Sincere effort to be convinced to support someone you despise.... ????...mutually exclusive...love to give you the benefit of the doubt but you be trollin.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope, follow your gut.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Do we really need another thread?  GD is literally filled with this crap.  I miss pre-election GD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#7]
......because Mt. Rushmore is really dated, needs an update.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#8]
You don't have to vote for trump.

Just vote for the Republican in the general election.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

What if Trump IS the republican in the general? I will not vote for him in the primary, that's just not going to happen. We are talking about a hypothetical general election.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#10]
It's starting to look inevitable, OP.

Do like I do and accept the fact that Trump may very well end up being our next President, you'll quit worrying so much.

What the fuck can WE do about it? Nothing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Add"Trump" to your thread title so people like me won't click on these
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sincere effort to be convinced to support someone you despise.... ????...mutually exclusive...love to give you the benefit of the doubt but you be trollin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

This.  Some background on the reasons why you despise him might be helpful.  

I also don't see the problem with a debate, as if it's some kind of thing to be avoided.  I guess keeping it civil can be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Add"Trump" to your thread title so people like me won't click on these
View Quote

Put me on ignore, it will gray the thread title and pull know not to click it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#15]

This right here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I also don't see the problem with a debate, as if it's some kind of thing to be avoided.  I guess keeping it civil can be a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

I suppose it's a fair question. I was hoping it would be more people offering the reasons they believe he is the real deal rather than countering my issues with him. It is likewise hard to lay forth my issues without introducing my bias.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Hiram, I am no Trump fan. I think he's going to backstab us, and grow .gov.

People are mad at the republicans. It's apparent and the Republican party doesn't understand it. The other option is Bernie or Hillary. In the end as I tell everyone who's not enthusiastic about the candidate, the one who gets elected does effect your life, so you try and pick the lesser of two evils. That's all I've got.

ETA: I'd rather have Rubio than Trump. At least he's half conservative, but like Trump I believe screw up our country as much or a little less.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I too would like to know 1. why I should trust Trump, 2. that he isn't simply pandering, and 3. that he won't do a 180 when elected.  I'd also like to be convinced that A. he isn't a federal supremacist and B. wouldn't expand big government.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I too would like to know 1. why I should trust Trump, 2. that he isn't simply pandering, and 3. that he won't do a 180 when elected.  I'd also like to be convinced that A. he isn't a federal supremacist and B. wouldn't expand big government.
View Quote

Rolling the dice. Hope your odds are good, cause we're betting the house, and children.

That's the reality of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:25:31 AM EDT
[#20]

1000 years from now  people living on the moon   will be able  to see on a full earth night.  the Trump wall
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What if Trump IS the republican in the general?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you have no choice. You must vote Republican.

The way I see it, your only choice is during the primaries. Once the candidate is chosen, you must fulfill your duty.
The stakes are too high.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Trump went Dem around the time the last Republican president got under 20% approval and McCain was his successor.

A lot of people did, hell half of Reagan's cabinet and some of W's did. Trump isn't saddled with that baggage, the party needs to move beyond it.

The totality of Trumps political history isn't anywhere near as bad as his detractors say it is.

The alternative is Clinton/Sanders, it's a no-brainer in the GE.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#23]

This is the truest thing I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:36:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The way I see it, your only choice is during the primaries. Once the candidate is chosen, you must fulfill your duty.
The stakes are too high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stakes are too high.

Respectfully, this goes to my point of why is my vote assumed, and thus taken for granted? My duty is to vote for the person I feel is best for the country. Maybe that choice stands no chance. Choosing the lesser of two evils feels like I'm shirking my duty. And believe me, I'm the first to admit I've done that in the past and advocated others do it as well. So I'm not innocent, or super virtuous in this regard. I'm just at the point I can't do it any more. I need to believe in the person I'm voting for.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Trump supporters...  Well thought out arguments...  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:43:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Respectfully, this goes to my point of why is my vote assumed, and thus taken for granted? My duty is to vote for the person I feel is best for the country. Maybe that choice stands no chance. Choosing the lesser of two evils feels like I'm shirking my duty. And believe me, I'm the first to admit I've done that in the past and advocated others do it as well. So I'm not innocent, or super virtuous in this regard. I'm just at the point I can't do it any more. I need to believe in the person I'm voting for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stakes are too high.

What was different about McCain or Romney? If I remember correctly you championed them pretty hard the last two election cycles. What makes this time different?

Hold your nose for those two who would be considered democrat contenders to Trump? At least Trump is somewhat running with a conservative platform or at least saying it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Trump supporters...  Well thought out arguments...  
View Quote

I asked you not to do that, please respect it in this thread. It's not too much to ask.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What was different about McCain or Romney? If I remember correctly you championed them pretty hard the last two election cycles. What makes this time different?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stakes are too high.

I was against both in the primaries. It's a fair question. I backed Sanford, Thompson, and Gingrich. I was willing to back Romney and McCain because while their records were far FAR from perfect, they had some conservative track record (while they had admittedly a non-conservative record on some issues as well). Trumps history is opposed to conservatism, and the beliefs I hold dear. I don't want to go further down that road in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#29]
It'll be huuuuuuge.  He knows people.  It'll be great.  Make America great again.

Hope that helped convince you .

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was against both in the primaries. It's a fair question. I backed Sanford, Thompson, and Gingrich. I was willing to back Romney and McCain because while their records were far FAR from perfect, they had some conservative track record (while they had admittedly a non-conservative record on some issues as well). Trumps history is opposed to conservatism, and the beliefs I hold dear. I don't want to go further down that road in this thread.
View Quote

Romney was for the AWB, and Obama ran his Healthcare system off of Romneycare. How was Romney with his Conservative principles?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:49:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It'll be huuuuuuge.  He knows people.  It'll be great.  Make America great again.

View Quote

OP said if you can't debate like an adult then take your critique elsewhere, but then again this is GD where the children come to play.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stakes are too high.

Did you vote for McCain and Romney?

Have you ever preached the lesser of two evils?

If so, call yourself out then vote for Cruz on a "write in" with a clear conscience.

Otherwise, vote Trump and hope for the best.  

I happily voted for Bush II with high hopes and was sorely disappointed. My expectations with Trump are less than then, however, so my disappointment may be less.

Like I said before, I'd happily vote Cruz but I just don't think he can win. So, I can take the high road and go down with guns blazing. Or, I can vote for Trump who I think stands a better chance to win and, hope, yes hope that that result gets this ship back in a better direction.

It's a big Catch 22 and we are damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If so, call yourself out then vote for Cruz on a "write in" with a clear conscience.

I happily voted for Bush II with high hopes and was sorely disappointed. My expectations with Trump are less than then, however, so my disappointment may be less.

Like I said before, I'd happily vote Cruz but video just don't think he can win. So, I can take the high road and go down with guns blazing. Or, I can vote for Trump who I think stands a better chance to win and, hope, yes hope that that result gets this ship back in a better direction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stakes are too high.

Like I said before, I'd happily vote Cruz but video just don't think he can win. So, I can take the high road and go down with guns blazing. Or, I can vote for Trump who I think stands a better chance to win and, hope, yes hope that that result gets this ship back in a better direction.

Pretty much.

As I said earlier it's a gamble where we bet the house, and kids.

I'm a Cruz fan, but after SC it looks like the American people just genuinely hate the Republicans. This is obvious.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Romney was for the AWB, and Obama ran his Healthcare system off of Romneycare. How was Romney with his Conservative principles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AWB in MA also gave gun owners some protections they did not have before. While I don't support socialized medicine, if it is going to happen, constitutionally it should happen at the state level. Like I said, I had issues with both McCain and Romney, and I think you just summed them up nicely.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:52:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Voting for Trump may be Russian Roulette.

Allowing Sanders/Clinton to win is putting a fully loaded revolver to your head and pulling the trigger.

I'm not going to try to convince you to vote Trump in the primary. I respect supporting Cruz. I'm probably going to vote for Cruz on March 1st.

I will try to convince you that we must vote against HilliBern.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:54:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Allowing Sanders/Clinton to win is putting a fully loaded revolver to your head and pulling the trigger.

I'm not going to try to convince you to vote Trump in the primary. I respect supporting Cruz. I'm probably going to vote for him on March 1st.

View Quote

As people like Hiram and myself did with McCain and Romney. I'll vote for a rock before I'd vote for those two socialist dirtbags (Hillary and Sanders).
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:55:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Like I said before, I'd happily vote Cruz but I just don't think he can win. So, I can take the high road and go down with guns blazing. Or, I can vote for Trump who I think stands a better chance to win and, hope, yes hope that that result gets this ship back in a better direction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stakes are too high.

I have admitted time and time again that I was wrong for telling people to vote the lessor of two evils. I started regretting that, and preaching that, around 2-3 years ago (long before the presidential field was solidified). We gave the GOP congress, and they fucked up. And the worthless GOP in NY fucked us with the SAFE Act. I declared then I would never automatically give my vote to anyone simply because they were running as an R.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

OP said if you can't debate like an adult then take your critique elsewhere, but then again this is GD where the children come to play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing adult to discuss about trump or his supporters.   But I'll kindly leave this ten thousdth Trump / GD thread.

Enjoy.

Edit - if the stupid thread title had Trump in it I wouldn't have even clicked on it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:56:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Sanders > Trump > Hilldog

I think Trump would beat Hilldog.  I don't think he would beat Sanders.  

I don't think any of these people make an ideal POTUS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not going to try to convince you to vote Trump in the primary. I respect supporting Cruz. I'm probably going to vote for Cruz on March 1st.

View Quote

And I would expect you to do no less.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As people like Hiram and myself did with McCain and Romney. I'll vote for a rock before I'd vote for those two socialist dirtbags (Hillary and Sanders).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to try to convince you to vote Trump in the primary. I respect supporting Cruz. I'm probably going to vote for him on March 1st.

I, too, voted for McCain and Romney. I hate it, but there it is.

In retrospect, it was the right call. I wish to hell either of them had won, not because they would be good, but because of the damage Obama has done.

Scalia passing just reminds me more of this necessity.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:58:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have admitted time and time again that I was wrong for telling people to vote the lessor of two evils. I started regretting that, and preaching that, around 2-3 years ago (long before the presidential field was solidified). We gave the GOP congress, and they fucked up. And the worthless GOP in NY fucked us with the SAFE Act. I declared then I would never automatically give my vote to anyone simply because they were running as an R.
View Quote

As I've said before, the person who has a likely chance of getting elected will affect you, and your families life.

Other then that come on Arfcom and complain because that's all you'll have.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In retrospect, it was the right call. I wish to hell either of them had won, not because they would be good, but because of the damage Obama has done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

I would feel more comfortable if Romney was picking a SCJ then Obama, Hillary, or Sanders, and to me that's scary to say.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:03:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ayup.

I would feel more comfortable if Romney was picking a SCJ then Obama, Hillary, or Sanders, and to me that's scary to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

Or foreign policy... I honestly think we would have been better off with a complete vacuum of foreign policy than the active-sabotage of the last eight years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Or foreign policy... I honestly think we would have been better off with a complete vacuum of foreign policy than the active-sabotage of the last eight years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ayup.

I believe, regardless of who takes over, this President has helped lead the way for WW3. No doubt in my mind. This is inevitable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:23:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Trump saying he supported the politicians and positions he did because he is a businessman buying favors is valid and believable - I occasionally keep my mouth shut when people with power over me discuss beliefs I disagree with.

Though he largely avoids specifics while speaking, the position papers on his website are pretty solid.

The immigration situation is one of the largest threats to our sovereignty (and should have been addressed many years ago), and it still wouldn't be talked about (beyond lip service) if Trump didn't make it a major part of his platform.

Trump is a very successful business man, and government needs to be run like a business.

He claims to be conservative*

*I don't believe he's telling the truth which is why I won't vote for him.  I just wanted to play devil's advocate to spur some discussion.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I feel the same way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:27:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Trump saying he supported the politicians and positions he did because he is a businessman buying favors is valid and believable - I occasionally keep my mouth shut when people with power over me discuss beliefs I disagree with.

Though he largely avoids specifics while speaking, the position papers on his website are pretty solid.

The immigration situation is one of the largest threats to our sovereignty (and should have been addressed many years ago), and it still wouldn't talked about (or at least beyond lip service) if Trump didn't make it a major part of his platform.

Trump is a successful very business man, and government needs to be run like a business.

*I don't believe he's telling the truth which is why I won't vote for him.  I just wanted to play devil's advocate to spur some discussion.
View Quote

That's the boat I'm in. I can make excuses, or validate, every problem I have with him. But the sheer volume of mental gymnastics I have to play to do so is overwhelming.

We must do something about immigration, on this I'm with him 100%.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:39:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's the boat I'm in. I can make excuses, or validate, every problem I have with him. But the sheer volume of mental gymnastics I have to play to do so is overwhelming.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The immigration situation is one of the largest threats to our sovereignty (and should have been addressed many years ago), and it still wouldn't talked about (or at least beyond lip service) if Trump didn't make it a major part of his platform.

Trump is a successful very business man, and government needs to be run like a business.

We need to do a lot of things. You have children? I do. I feel bad for them.

It's funny when reading about the Roman Empire in it's later stages, especially when it comes to inflation. I feel like we're in Rome going into fast forward of how quick we're driving our economy into the ground. Eventually the spigot will have to be turned off then it will just be the poor and rich.

That's how we got the dark ages.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top