Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/12/2016 10:58:42 AM EDT
Foreigners are flooding into Silicon Valley, taking those $100K+ jobs that Americans don't want, right?  

Among the working population, 45 percent are foreign born, but in the
tech, computer and STEM industries, that number rises to 75 percent...

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2016/02/10/silicon-valleys-year-amazing-but-with-perils

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to worry. I'm sure the people they replaced trained them well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
More like jobs Americans are too stupid or have too many "needs" to do.   My last hire is Hungarian born, the one before him Russian.   They are both naturalized citizens coming here after college.  End result I have two awesome guys without the bolt-on bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

More like jobs Americans are too stupid or have too man "needs" to do.   My last hire is Hungarian born, the one before him Russian.   They are both naturalized citizens coming here after college.  End result I have two awesome guys without the bolt-on bullshit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
More like jobs Americans are too stupid or have too man "needs" to do.   My last hire is Hungarian born, the one before him Russian.   They are both naturalized citizens coming here after college.  End result I have two awesome guys without the bolt-on bullshit.
View Quote

Wow, just wow
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
The lie is that there's a shortage of labor.

The truth is that there's a shortage of labor at the price companies want to pay.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow, just wow
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, just wow

Right...responses like this from a site that spends how many threads bitching about hipsters, college kids attitudes, and entitlement.  Try hiring the fuckers.
Wow, just wow back at ya.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
More like jobs Americans are too stupid or have too many "needs" to do.   My last hire is Hungarian born, the one before him Russian.   They are both naturalized citizens coming here after college.  End result I have two awesome guys without the bolt-on bullshit.
View Quote

Heh yeah. You can tell those fuckers to go buy their own health care,  what are they gonna do?  Quit?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Are the chicks hot?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wow, just wow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, just wow

Wow all you want.  He's right and like he said, try hiring these days and see what kind of resumes hit your desk for tech positions.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The truth is that there's a shortage of labor at the price companies want to pay.
View Quote

The declining labor force participation rate suggests you are incorrect.  

Go try and hire and leave pay wide open and see what you get.  You'll get a good lesson in who is actually out there looking right now at any pay level.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My employer sure loves them and pays them less than US born employees in the same role.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to a computer science or electrical engineering class at a major university. Look at the demographics.

That will answer your questions.

From a business standpoint, margins are low and competition is fierce. Billion dollar companies battle tooth and nail for pennies/unit. You save where you can, and if a dude from India, or Taiwan, or Bangladesh is able to do the job cheaper, then you win. That's capitalism.  

Conclusion: fewer Americans want to suffer through the coursework, and when they do they want above market value for their work. Most seem to think they're all brilliant "idea men", and few seem capable of grinding it out on their leather asses. Foreign engineers do not suffer from this problem as much.

The cellphone in your pocket and the computer on your desk are as affordable as they are because of the economics above.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Deport , hire Americans and make America great again.    Trump 2016
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My employer sure loves them and pays them less than US born employees in the same role.
View Quote

Sounds like your employer finds capable people with poor salary negotiation skills.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Among the working population, 45 percent are foreign born
View Quote

depressing stat if  true
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Foreign born doesn't mean they are not Americans.
My brother and his wife work out there in Silicon Valley since getting out of university.
My brother and his wife are both Asians but they are both American citizens and have been for past 30+ years.
They both work for a software company and most of their co-workers are foreign born Americans.  Many were Asians years ago but now there are a lot of Eastern Europeans too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats why H1b visa holders are hired. Its all about the salaries , they are even willing to accept lower quality if they are getting a bargain.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My brother and his wife work out there in Silicon Valley since getting out of university.
My brother and his wife are both Asians but they are both American citizens and have been for past 30+ years.
They both work for a software company and most of their co-workers are foreign born Americans.  Many were Asians years ago but now there are a lot of Eastern Europeans too.
View Quote

You are aware of what an H1b is??   They are not issued to citizens
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a huge security risk too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I know what H1B is.
I always hear about how foreign workers are brought into Silicon Valley on H1B visa but where my brother works out of 30+ software engineers none are there with H1B visa.  Where my SIL works there are 16 software engineers and none are with H1B visa.  Many (majority) of their co-workers are foreign born but they are all American citizens...just like them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thats why H1b visa holders are hired. Its all about the salaries , they are even willing to accept lower quality if they are getting a bargain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the cost of inferior work is offset by the lower salaries, they are all over it.

On one hand I am a raw capitalist and I understand having to stay competitive in a market with tons of foreign influence (IE can be done cheaper in China).
On the other hand they took what would have been the go to career path for the American middle class as we evolved from manufacturing to technology and utterly gutted it.

As usual, I blame our government for being for sale, allowing lobbyists to influence politicians into allowing an open door of imported workers.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looks like a huge security risk too.
View Quote

It actually is , but what the hell when a corporation saves millions a year hiring foreigners. Better in some ways than outsourcng to an OCONUS contractor I guess.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That right there is a falsehood. These people coming in as H1Bs are paid VERY WELL. Most over $100K. So, for people to say that they take jobs that Americans are unwilling to do, that is UTTER BULLSHIT. I deal with a lot of these people on a daily basis. Their visa screens sometimes only say, "Has a decent grasp of the English language."

These companies pay very well. Lowest paid H1B was $80K+benefits. Highest was $160K+benefits. Trade NAFTA visas are also a scam. We're losing our ability to create jobs and keep them for Americans.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Foreign born Network/Security Engineer here but not on H1B
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Meh most Americans want to major in easy useless shit instead of hard science.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#28]
How altruistic of those billionaire tech CEOs to cut costs by lobbying to import cheaper employees welcome those vibrant additions from the third world.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#29]

And they all run the Customer Service hotlines . . . amirite ? ? ?

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lobbyist propaganda. Just as ridiculous as "Crops literally rotting in the fields!!!"
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wow all you want.  He's right and like he said, try hiring these days and see what kind of resumes hit your desk for tech positions.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, just wow

I am generally curious; what are the issues with hiring tech positions today?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And they all run the Customer Service hotlines . . . amirite ? ? ?

View Quote

If its Dell they do unless you are willing to pay for complete care .  Complete care = American workers.  The rest of th time you get = Hello my name is Steve how may I be assisting you with your computing device?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Lobbyist propaganda. Just as ridiculous as "Crops literally rotting in the fields!!!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I teach college as a side job and see it first hand. What about you?

OH yeah STEM here
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Foreigners are taking over all the IT jobs in CT. Living in good towns buying expensive 400k+ houses.  They are getting paid very well. Id say 3 out of ten people in my town is Indian (dot not feather) and make bank.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I will say this about stem and all that jazz. When I worked at CSC , one of the best developers we had on the contract did not have a STEM degree . If I recall correctly he had a Masters in Music, and my old project manager had a BS in history. Both were very knowledgeable about IT . So I do not even believe that STEM is required to be successful in IS/IT.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

That right there is a falsehood. These people coming in as H1Bs are paid VERY WELL. Most over $100K.
So, for people to say that they take jobs that Americans are unwilling to do, that is UTTER BULLSHIT. I deal with a lot of these people on a daily basis. Their visa screens sometimes only say, "Has a decent grasp of the English language."

These companies pay very well. Lowest paid H1B was $80K+benefits. Highest was $160K+benefits. Trade NAFTA visas are also a scam. We're losing our ability to create jobs and keep them for Americans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That right there is a falsehood. These people coming in as H1Bs are paid VERY WELL. Most over $100K.
So, for people to say that they take jobs that Americans are unwilling to do, that is UTTER BULLSHIT. I deal with a lot of these people on a daily basis. Their visa screens sometimes only say, "Has a decent grasp of the English language."

Wrong.

Largest category is Computer Systems Analysts, making $78K.  

http://www.myvisajobs.com/Reports/2016-H1B-Visa-Category.aspx?T=OC

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

same here..
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

OH yeah STEM here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OH yeah STEM here

Good to know lol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#39]
You realize a lot of those "Foreign Born" are American Citizens right?

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Every day, the media gives us a new reason to vote for Trump.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

yeah fuck the irish! - 1920
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

same here..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here..

Using a significantly corrupt government system of preferences and quotas to offset or undercut current labor market conditions - and all of it subsidized by the American taxpayer? That's the exact definition of good capitalism.

Ask the democrats here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

same here..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here..

Most of my employers have as well. When I worked at CSC a manager I  knew basically said that was the only value added.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

and the polish! -1930

There is some facepalm level of stupid floating around arfcom these days.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

Not the same thing as italians and Irish / Ellis Island .  You cant make an apples to appls comparasion .  Immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century wanted to be Americans. Modern versions not so much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys really have no idea what it takes to work in tech.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Shouldn't be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shouldn't be.
Why is that?

Surely you understand that the majority of EU countries do not allow dual citizenship? Meaning they had to give up their citizenship of birth to become an American?

Quite the leap of faith for people like you to say "Fuck'em"
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Not the same thing as italians and Irish / Ellis Island .  You cant make an apples to appls comparasion .  Immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century wanted to be Americans. Modern versions not so much.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

What do they want to be?

They can't keep their old citizenship.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top