Quoted:

yeah fuck the irish! - 1920
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You realize a lot of those "Foreign Born" are American Citizens right?

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

Exactly!

The regulatory state circa America 1920 bears an even passing resemblance to the regulatory state of the post capitalist American behemoth circa 2015.

Or, your point was racism, or something?

I'm interested to learn more. But, not about the Irish. they are beneath contempt.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
More like jobs Americans are too stupid or have too many "needs" to do.   My last hire is Hungarian born, the one before him Russian.   They are both naturalized citizens coming here after college.  End result I have two awesome guys without the bolt-on bullshit.
View Quote

Thats a bunch of crap, and probably just a weak troll attempt.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What do they want to be?  

They can't keep their old citizenship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

Not the same thing as italians and Irish / Ellis Island .  You cant make an apples to appls comparasion .  Immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century wanted to be Americans. Modern versions not so much.
What do they want to be?  

Factually i know this from dealing with foreigners on the job. Most of them want to come here , work , save and go home.  recently this very sentiment was expressed by a lady from Spain. Its absolutely not the first or last time I will hear it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
and the polish! -1930  

There is some facepalm level of stupid floating around arfcom these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

and the polish! -1930  

There is some facepalm level of stupid floating around arfcom these days.

Seriously. Someone please contact a staffer at  the US commission on civil rights!

American racism from 85 years ago has been uncovered!

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not the same thing as italians and Irish / Ellis Island .  You cant make an apples to appls comparasion .  Immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century wanted to be Americans. Modern versions not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

When one invokes the ever present specter of racism, intelligent rebuttal is usually off the table.

But, you knew that already.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

There weren't many STEM workers in those Irish.  

Most of those Irish were peasants that wanted to come to America, start at the bottom, and work their way up.  

Those Irish didn't require free healthcare, free food, Obamaphones, or housing.  

They wanted to become assimilate and become Americans.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My place of employment has been hiring H1B south Asians in SW development roles for years, and laying off the American engineers. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a stinky around here, while American STEM grads of good colleges can't even get an interview here. This is nothing less than flagrant exploitation of the H1B visa program by greedy corporations who don't give a rat's ass about the country. If you hire one you aren't much of an American IMO. I lobby hard against this and write my legislators often. I think it would solve a lot of problems to cut them all off and send them back to their own countries.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More like jobs Americans are too stupid or have too many "needs" to do.   My last hire is Hungarian born, the one before him Russian.   They are both naturalized citizens coming here after college.  End result I have two awesome guys without the bolt-on bullshit.

No, modern "capitalism" involves engratiating oneself within, and employing the power of the state system against your competition and even against the current market realities you presently face. Through government chicanery, all things are possible.

So, no trolling there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe Americans should quite majoring in arts
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like a huge security risk too.
View Quote

sure it is, but that's not important now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
IF America doesn't continue to grow, it will look like the shittier corners of Europe.

There aren't a finite number of jobs in the USA. They are a product of economic growth. A stagnated economy where jobs disappear and aren't replaced is a characteristic of countries with shut boarders.

This fear of foreigner born people is ridiculous and probably stemmed in a fear of change.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am generally curious; what are the issues with hiring tech positions today?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More like jobs Americans are too stupid or have too man "needs" to do.   My last hire is Hungarian born, the one before him Russian.   They are both naturalized citizens coming here after college.  End result I have two awesome guys without the bolt-on bullshit.

Wow, just wow

Wow all you want.  He's right and like he said, try hiring these days and see what kind of resumes hit your desk for tech positions.  

I am generally curious; what are the issues with hiring tech positions today?

Lack of qualified applicants at any price level.  We've put out adds for programmers and engineers in the past year with wages being widely open to negotiation and the trickle of candidates that we get in are overwhelmingly unequipped on every level for the job and show up half an hour late for the interview and under dressed for the occasion.  I haven't had my first pajama bottom sighting yet but it would not shock me when it happens.

My experience is that anyone worth a damn is already employed and all that's left are those who nobody else wanted or opportunity hungry immigrants.  I can absolutely understand why Silicon Valley is filling up with H1Bs based on that experience.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who would take my order?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who would take my order?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who would take my order?

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The company I work for uses a bunch of H1B visas. Most of them seem like good people and I can't blame them for wanting to come here and work. That being said, the H1B visa program is out of control. Last I counted there were 12 or so people in my little department. Only two of us are American.

I worked for  different large company in the past and there were a ton of foreign workers there as well.

Changes need to be made but neither party cares to do it. Cheap labor for the right, more foreigners for the left.

Back in 09 I lost my job due to facility closure. I was a recent college grad. It took me 1 full year to get another position. I could not even get an interview. Meanwhile foreign workers continued to flood in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Factually i know this from dealing with foreigners on the job. Most of them want to come here , work , save and go home.  recently this very sentiment was expressed by a lady from Spain. Its absolutely not the first or last time I will hear it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

What do they want to be?  

You found one single person that misses home? Wow, congrats man.

My experience is foreigners work harder and bitch less. A type of person we are in short supply of in entitled america.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not to worry. I'm sure the people they replaced trained them well.
View Quote

I'm training mine now.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This fear of foreigner born people is ridiculous and probably stemmed in a fear of change.
View Quote

And, that fear is completely justified as it is rooted in fact.

The notion that foreigners come here to partake in the great experiment of individual autonomy and common law protections is an anachronism.

Change is the problem we face and change is the reality they forward when arriving.

Obviously, not all. But a significant majority.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are plenty of qualified, amazing employees out there. You don't pay what the market requires. Period end of story.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

The foreign born citizens at my work are some of the best Americans I know.  You are forgetting that these people came here to WORK.  Compare them to the large swath of American who are able to work and simply don't.  

The fact that the labor participation rate is dropping despite relatively low unemployment has unmistakable implications.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I went to a very good public school (top 10ish I think) The engineering department (my majors) was mostly East and South Asian. American born and a lot of foreign students. People in the Colleges of LEtters and Sciences, Humanities and other silly nonsense were overwhelmingly American born and white.

Student politics, activism groups and other feckless pursuits were largely made up of basket weaving majors or communications majors or majors that were so small you had to double major to graduate or you wouldn't have enough units. Basically people who had a surplus of time on their hands. Not people who had to spend all their free time in labs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#22]
LOL at the supposed free market conservatives ITT.

Protectionism doesnt work. The best candidate for the lowest price will  get the job, just as the best product for the lowest price will be purchased. Adapt.

I for one, welcome our new Indian overlords.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
These H1B developers almost all write shitty, hard to maintain code, and always seem to go for the quick hack rather than the elegant solution. Comments are not part of good programming practices in India, evidently, and are often written in such bad English they can't be followed. I have to tear them up in code reviews all the time. Yurz. Every now and then you do get a good one, but that is the exception rather than the rule around here. I rejected nearly every single one I interviewed and will continue to do so, and its because they don't know jack about secure coding practices, know nothing of our systems or products, and can't even tell me much about the company. They just want a job here, and once they get one they get a lawyer and start trying to get a green card, because H1B is only valid for 6 years.

I recently left Cisco after 20 years and work for another company, and it looks like its not as bad at the new company. Diversity is a code word for "get rid of Americans, especially white guys, and hire H1Bs so you can work their asses off, and then toss them out like trash when you don't need them anymore". Hey, its just business.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL at the spergitarian.

"It's okay that you lost your good paying job to a lower bidding indentured H1B Indian because Disney's stock is 1% higher."

Things that are neat and tidy in textbooks don't always apply to meatspace, kid.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#25]
One of my friends works in Santa Clara at a tech company he says they can get H1B guys for much cheaper because to them the cost of living is food, skype and a 6x3 spot on the floor to sleep on occasionally. They usually have 4-6 guys living in 1000 square feet whereas Americans believe they need a 2000sq foot place just to themselves so they price themselves out of the market
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Foreigners are taking over all the IT jobs in CT. Living in good towns buying expensive 400k+ houses.  They are getting paid very well. Id say 3 out of ten people in my town is Indian (dot not feather) and make bank.
View Quote

Same here just north of Atlanta. Probably 60% of home buyers in new 400k+ developments are Indian. Go to Costco and you're actually in sovereign Indian territory where nobody gives a fuck about personal space, and kids are running all over the place because their parents suck ass at parenting.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Protectionism doesnt work. The best candidate for the lowest price will  get the job, just as the best product for the lowest price will be purchased. Adapt.

View Quote

everybody loves the free market, until free market shit happens to them....
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My place of employment has been hiring H1B south Asians in SW development roles for years, and laying off the American engineers. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a stinky around here, while American STEM grads of good colleges can't even get an interview here. This is nothing less than flagrant exploitation of the H1B visa program by greedy corporations who don't give a rat's ass about the country. If you hire one you aren't much of an American IMO. I lobby hard against this and write my legislators often. I think it would solve a lot of problems to cut them all off and send them back to their own countries.
View Quote

Advise the American citizens who aren't hired to contact the EEO folks.  The penalty for fraudulently hiring an H1b is...impressively large.  If the American citizen meets the paper requirements for the job, and the company hires an H1b, the company will lose in court, roughly 100% of the time.  If the company is writing the requirements to specifically apply only to foreigners, they are also potentially criminally liable, in addition to still losing in court every single time.  These things are easy to prove too, it's just that most people don't bother to try.  The last IT job I had, they quickly gave up on us training our H1b replacements when it became obvious that someone was going to the feds.  Of course, they then outsourced the whole operation to India, then lost all their contracts and folded, but hey, the executives got a couple of big bonuses for saving money for a few quarters before they imploded.  Hooray capitalism!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The foreign born citizens at my work are some of the best Americans I know.  You are forgetting that these people came here to WORK.  Compare them to the large swath of American who are able to work and simply don't.  

The fact that the labor participation rate is dropping despite relatively low unemployment has unmistakable implications.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizens? Sure.

Americans? Debatable.

Issues of subsidy, advantage, preference and the absolute corruption of the very foundation of our economic system aside, how, exactly, are they "some of the best" Americans you know?

I'm interested.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There are plenty of qualified, amazing employees out there. You don't pay what the market requires. Period end of story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I hired two.  But keep talking out your ass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because "protectionism" is wrong but exploiting the force of government to offset market realities and dictate the lowest price is not wrong.

I for one, welcome out facist economic overlords.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh I hire the shit out of them.  I also off shore my phone techs.  I can get a 24/7/365 FTE for $36 per month per managed device, my techs all of the required certs, I get to interview them, and they all get vocal coaching, cultural training, and we brief them on the regional eccentricities of the customers they will be supporting.  I can also get sr engineers with demonstrated high quality skillsets with a 24/7/365 FTE for $150 per managed device per month.

I'm in the business of making money, not idealistic masturbatory fantasies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
These H1B developers almost all write shitty, hard to maintain code, and always seem to go for the quick hack rather than the elegant solution. Comments are not part of good programming practices in India, evidently, and are often written in such bad English they can't be followed. I have to tear them up in code reviews all the time. Yurz. Every now and then you do get a good one, but that is the exception rather than the rule around here. I rejected nearly every single one I interviewed and will continue to do so, and its because they don't know jack about secure coding practices, know nothing of our systems or products, and can't even tell me much about the company. They just want a job here, and once they get one they get a lawyer and start trying to get a green card, because H1B is only valid for 6 years.

I recently left Cisco after 20 years and work for another company, and it looks like its not as bad at the new company. Diversity is a code word for "get rid of Americans, especially white guys, and hire H1Bs so you can work their asses off, and then toss them out like trash when you don't need them anymore". Hey, its just business.
View Quote

Guess what, I'd rather have shitty hard to maintain code delivered on time at half the price, then just hire you to maintain it rather than hiring you + 10 of your peers to write it for double the price in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One of my friends works in Santa Clara at a tech company he says they can get H1B guys for much cheaper because to them the cost of living is food, skype and a 6x3 spot on the floor to sleep on occasionally. They usually have 4-6 guys living in 1000 square feet whereas Americans believe they need a 2000sq foot place just to themselves so they price themselves out of the market
View Quote

When I was at the offices in Manila, the techs and coders there only went home on weekends and slept under their desks during the week.  Their home was usually a family home where 3-5 families all lived together.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Advise the American citizens who aren't hired to contact the EEO folks.  The penalty for fraudulently hiring an H1b is...impressively large.  If the American citizen meets the paper requirements for the job, and the company hires an H1b, the company will lose in court, roughly 100% of the time.  If the company is writing the requirements to specifically apply only to foreigners, they are also potentially criminally liable, in addition to still losing in court every single time.  These things are easy to prove too, it's just that most people don't bother to try.  The last IT job I had, they quickly gave up on us training our H1b replacements when it became obvious that someone was going to the feds.  Of course, they then outsourced the whole operation to India, then lost all their contracts and folded, but hey, the executives got a couple of big bonuses for saving money for a few quarters before they imploded.  Hooray capitalism!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why you don't hire them directly, you don't actually have openings, you subcontract the work to another company that hired them for a different job description.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Lots of free market, alright.

Friedman is cheering this on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Translation: "I was able to half-ass the contract with a couple of barely adequate foreign hires at one-third the cost of an American worker. I only had to lie a lot on the H1B visa applications about not being able to find an American worker."
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When I was at the offices in Manila, the techs and coders there only went home on weekends and slept under their desks during the week.  Their home was usually a family home where 3-5 families all lived together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we pool enough lobbying dollars, we could forward legislation allowing you to rape them, too!

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Which is why you don't hire them directly, you don't actually have openings, you subcontract the work to another company that hired them for a different job description.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like how we all get around the corruption in foreign practices act.

So much legal chicanery.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

explain how it's not, I dare you

What's utterly contrary to any kind of free market principles is all this protectionist horseshit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need me to explain how the H1b system is not a vehicle of government distortion of the markets? And, you "dare" me to?

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If we pool enough lobbying dollars, we could forward legislation allowing you to rape them, too!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They chose to do this, they were paid enough to live on their own.  They would pool all their money to send their kids to school in Europe and the US.  I saw the same thing in Japan, China, Taiwan, and Singapore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Deport , hire Americans and make America great again.    Trump 2016
View Quote

Basically correct.  Cut the H1B program by 75% or more.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So much legal chicanery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much legal chicanery.

Hey it's totally and 100% legal, the vast majority of my staffing is contracted or outsourced to a vendor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deport , hire Americans and make America great again.    Trump 2016

Great, I just don't have to move them here then, they can work at night in whatever time zone they were born in as a contractor.  Either way, I'm still giving them the job.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like Cruz?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are the chicks hot?
View Quote

I will happily bring in hot asian , latin and eastern european chicks to work under, next to or on top of me
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Trump 2016
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#49]
The last 12 guys I hired for our Identity and Access Management division were all from India.  There wasn't a single American in the applicant pool.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
LOL at the spergitarian.

"It's okay that you lost your good paying job to a lower bidding indentured H1B Indian because Disney's stock is 1% higher."

Things that are neat and tidy in textbooks don't always apply to meatspace, kid.
View Quote

It's incredible the contempt that some people show towards other Americans.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top