Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2003 4:05:46 PM EDT
If you have serious issues with spiders, don't follow this link.  

[url]http://pub169.ezboard.com/feqluclinfrm12.showMessageRange?topicID=532.topic&start=1&stop=20[/url]
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not clicking the link, I am Siders really mess me up. Probably the only thing that scares me!
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://www.student.gsu.edu/~kpentecost1/IMG_1773.jpg[/img]

that's a damn big spider!
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
or a photoshop job
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone else think it looks cute?

I love spiders.......I always make sure there are several in my gardens!

Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit! What kind of spiders are those? Bigger than my hand!
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a little unnerving. I would most likely have to do some remodeling due to the 12 gauge shot damage. [b]YIKES!!![b]
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
or a photoshop job
View Quote

I guess you didn't see the rest of the pics at the link. What the hell kinda forum was that anyway?
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool!what city was the spider found in? my wife wants to know so we never move there, hehehehe
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not clicking the link, I am Siders really mess me up. Probably the only thing that scares me!
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is a little unnerving. I would most likely have to do some remodeling due to the 12 gauge shot damage. [b]YIKES!!![b]
View Quote

That's exactly what I thought!  Just blow the f*&^ing clock through the wall!  At least you'll sleep better...unitl another one crawls through the whole and you wake up with it on your face.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Id open up with the nearest loaded gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]
i dont like spiders. this may be extreme, but if that wan on my wall, i WOULD shoot it with something. and thats no shit

ewwwwie
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
or a photoshop job
View Quote

I guess you didn't see the rest of the pics at the link. What the hell kinda forum was that anyway?
View Quote

No idea, I was just linked to it about 30 min ago.  Though I would share may horror for this evening.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like that critter in Alien!
Actualy I think it's a wolf spider, not aggressive, but they do get big.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet that would make a nice crunch when you stomp it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Jesus Christ thats a big fuckin spider!!

Id definately start putting holes in my wall with the AR, and then moving out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like the spiders that my parents used to tell me about when they lived on The Big Island.

That and flying cockroaches...ewwwwww{shivers}
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks like that critter in Alien!
Actualy I think it's a wolf spider, not aggressive, but they do get big.
View Quote

I was gonna say a bird eating tarantula.

Or Since that is off a EQ site,  A Terrantula.....Mmmmwwwwhahahaha
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Oh my god.

The clock picture is eaven scarier than the rest. You go to look at the time, do a double take and then your heart stops.

I WOULD, no lie pump some birdshot into that clock if I saw that.

I can do that, I live in the middle of nowhere.

Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
or a photoshop job
View Quote

View Quote

didn't see any other pics
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
You sick fuck!

I knew I shouldnt have some back to this thread!! [banghed]
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#23]
[:D]

oops

all I can say about spiders is thank God for cold winters, keeps em small
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Spiders FREAK me out.  I've been getting a lot better about it, but I still shake all my clothes before I put them on since I don't want a Brown Reclude biting my ass when I put on my pants.

What really keeping me up at night is that me and the fiancee are going to Australia for a conference this summer - and I've been hearing about the Funnel Web spider.  Supposedly they have huge fangs, and are relaly deadly.  Like - get to the ER before you die, deadly.

... just looked it up.  Apparently there have been no recent fatalities since an antivenom was introduced in the 1980s, but it is still a creepy spider.  It is described as "very agressive" and has fangs that can easily bit through a fingernail or a leather boot.  Ouch.

Apparently they rear up to expose their fangs when they are angry or threatened.
[img]http://www.bettanet.net.au/sonata/spider.jpg[/img]

I'd scream like a little japanese schoolgirl if I even saw one of those.

We're also going diving in "great white" territory, but sharks don't bother me anything like spiders do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#25]
[img]http://www.rochedalss.qld.edu.au/jaddelisize.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Funnel web spiders also have fangs that can bite through your toenail so protective clothing wont help you:).
View Quote

Check it out - I edited my post and added a scary picture  [:)]
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Can any insectologist verify this is a real species of spider?  Looks kinda fake.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I [b]didn't[/b] have a problem with spiders till I was eight.
When I was eight, I was bitten by a brown recluse and came very close to death.

I've had a problem with spiders ever since then. I'm better now, but in the past I have been known to jump out of a canoe, into water teeming with alligators, to avoid running through a spiderweb with a number of biguns' hanging on it.[%|]

echo6
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Holy shit!!!  I haven't seen anything like that in years.  Reminds me of the spiders we had around the house when we lived in Southern Japan.  Scared the hell out of all of us when we first encountered them.  Turns out they are fairly docile and feed on the flying cockroaches.  Roaches were so bad we learned to love the spiders.  Still damn creepy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What really keeping me up at night is that me and the fiancee are going to Australia for a conference this summer - and I've been hearing about the Funnel Web spider.  Supposedly they have huge fangs, and are relaly deadly.  Like - get to the ER before you die, deadly.

View Quote

Getting to the ER isn't the most important thing if bitten by a funnel web. The priority is:

1. KILL the goddam thing. Big stick whatever.

2. Tell your fiance how you feel while you are still conscious.

3. Try and get to a ER just in case you survive the trip.

My recommendation BEAR SPRAY.

I'm not positive it will deter a funnel web at 25 feet, but I'm betting it will. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

What part are you going to? I live in Sydney 6 months otta the year... While it's good to be cautious abou those critters - I wouldn't worry too much. I have yet to see one in the last 3 years. Although I would bet that Queensland would have a few cruising around.

Australia... 25 [b]deadly[/b] creatures and they are all fairly common  [:D]

p.s. Watchout for the little purple octopus that will kill you in minutes... his name eludes me right now - Now [i]THAT[/i] scares me! Can't see him coming!

Edit: Blue-ring octopus. Average death occurs within about a minute... no known antidote.[xx(]
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I have had pet tarantulas all my life (red legs, pink toes, rosies, bird eaers, ...). I had one in the Army while I lived in the barracks because they are easy to hide when health and welfare inspections come through. If you pick the right species they are extremely docile and soft and cuddly ;) The one spider I totally hate is the yellow orb weaver (AKA banana spider) down here in Florida. They build these huge webs across the trails and sit right in the middle of the them. My last encounter with them was when I was mountain biking. Ran straight into the web/spider face first. In the next few seconds I managed to get off my bike, remove my helmet and shirt, and run around patting myself down like an idiot. Ends up the spider and most of the web was on the helmet. That stuff really freaks me out.

I have seen some that measure a good 2 inches long (body length) 3" with legs!
[img]http://home.houston.rr.com/dtlocke/photos/stn-spider-rg100-ed1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Spiders are your friends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use to have some nice big and hairy tarantula that lived with me. They were pretty calm and seemed to like me. Ok maybe I thought they liked me cause I didnt have any real friends, No thats not it. They liked me.

I killed one by sitting on him and the other got away and never found him so check your sheets before bed
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But just think how many you eat each year while you sleep.[:D]
View Quote

The average American will eat 8 spiders by the time they die.

Why?

`Cuz human spit is the bomb for spiders.  They love it, and they are attracted to the smell and crawl right in yer pie-hole.
Chomp!

Scott
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Those are nasty pics for sure.

I was sitting in a chair watching TV once and looked down on my right arm to see a black widow crawling up it. So I freaked and had my shirt off in less than a second. My brother proceeded to give me a bunch of crap about it, so I chased him into the bedroom and took a swing at him (we were only teenagers). He had a watch on and my right arm got a slash on it from wrist to elbow. A bad night.

I HATE spiders. Every once in a while I have to crawl around in the crawl space under my house. I HATE THAT! I usually bundle up pretty good and then shed my clothes when I am done. Lately though, the older I get, I have been just saying "screw it" and getting the job done. Don't have as much time anymore to be a weenie. Would love be be like John Goodman in that Arachnopobia movie -- only I'd use my 12 gauge to exterminate the bastards.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#37]

[img]http://home.houston.rr.com/dtlocke/photos/stn-spider-rg100-ed1.jpg[/img]

Nice picture.  Since a kid I've loved carnivorous insects.  On a warm spring evening last week I sat in our yard swing and watched one of these spin its first web of the year.  Watched and smiled cause the next day I'd get to scare the pants off my kids when I told them to look up over their heads while they were swinging.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll admit it, I am the biggest pussy when it comes to spiders, and to a lessor degree, other big bugs.

Right now I'm looking suspiciously around my desk for intruders, meanwhile I'm checking my pants for the load I must have dropped when I saw that pic! [:D]  The clock pic is definitely the worst.

I agree with the other guys, I guaran-F'ing-tee you that I would have shot at that thing if it was my wall!
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Spiders don't bother me, but roaches and water bugs? eeww.
I fucking [b]HATE[/b] roaches.

Scared the shit outta my wife last night with this thread!!
I told her not to look, but she just HAD to.
She almost started to hyperventilate
She is VERY arachnophobic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://www.rochedalss.qld.edu.au/jaddelisize.jpg[/url]
View Quote

What kind of spider is that 1_153_370_371_407?

Something like that was found in my APT building this past summer, and I drowned the sucker in a glass of whiskey.

Scariest damned thing I've seen for years.  Spiders scare the crap out of me.  I've seen these kinds down in RedWing MN:
[url]http://www.actionsquad.org/caves0091.jpg[/url]
(About 12 inches from one leg-end to another...)

When I was a little boy I was climbing a sand dune on the Mississippi River near Wabasha MN, and my hand pushed through the sand into a little burrow in the sand.  A large spider crawled up my arm a ways, and as I flung it off, I realize that it was a mother spider with a million babies on her back.  Mommy flew off my arm, but the babies were still all over me...  I jumped in the river so damned fast you'd have thought I was launched by a catapult.

[size=5]EEK![/size=5]
View Quote

Holy frickin hell!!!!!!!!!! those things live in MN?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#42]
lol, had to add...this was in another thread

[img]http://users.wpi.edu/~ljhayes/PR/caves/spider.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The one spider I totally hate is the yellow orb weaver (AKA banana spider) down here in Florida. They build these huge webs across the trails and sit right in the middle of the them. My last encounter with them was when I was mountain biking. Ran straight into the web/spider face first. In the next few seconds I managed to get off my bike, remove my helmet and shirt, and run around patting myself down like an idiot. Ends up the spider and most of the web was on the helmet. That stuff really freaks me out.

I have seen some that measure a good 2 inches long (body length) 3" with legs!
[url]http://home.houston.rr.com/dtlocke/photos/stn-spider-rg100-ed1.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Yup, I hate em.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#44]
The original spider in this thread looks like a Cane Spider.  Scary boogers!!!

And Offspring - those spiders used to be one of my biggest nightmares.  We'd camp down in OK and these webs would be across all the trails (spider in middle about 4" leg to leg).  We learned to pick up a stick and swing it in front of yourself vertically whenever walking thru the woods at night.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Bastards!!!! [stick]

The tag on my shirt just rubbed the wrong  way. [50]
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#46]
THOSE THINGS LIVE IN MN !!! 12" LONG?

SHIT I THOUGHT THE COLD NORTHERN WINTERS WOULD KEEP THAT SHIT AWAY

Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Every year our house is covered with Banana Spiders aka Golden Orb Spiders about the diameter of the palm of you hand. I'll catch crikets and feed them from time to time. We name the big ones, they hang around until the first freeze. Web is some nasty stick stuff to try and get off.
[img]http://www.lima.ohio-state.edu/honors/Images/HBioFT96/golden_orb_spider.JPG[/img]

"Webs of steel: The Golden Orb Web Spider makes the largest and strongest web. It gets its name from the golden colour of its silk. The web can run from the top of a tree 6m high and up to 2m wide. Unlike other spider webs, the Golden Orb Web Spider's web is not dismantled often and can last several years. "

The miltary is actually experimenting with the silk produced by these spiders for ballistic vests, it's many times stronger than Kevlar.

Now there is a "Bird Eating Spider" in South America that grow 12 inches across and the natives will catch, cook and eat them. Saw it on a nature show some time ago. They look like smaller Alaskan snow crabs. They eat birds, toads, mice, snakes , lizzards etc. [img]http://www.reptilerazzmatazz.co.uk/pic16.jpg[/img] Haven't found a good photo depicting the scale size of these suckers, but they are big! Here's a small one [img]http://wetnwildtaxidermy.com/GoliathTarantula2.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

What part are you going to? I live in Sydney 6 months otta the year... While it's good to be cautious abou those critters - I wouldn't worry too much. I have yet to see one in the last 3 years. Although I would bet that Queensland would have a few cruising around.

Australia... 25 [b]deadly[/b] creatures and they are all fairly common  [:D]

p.s. Watchout for the little purple octopus that will kill you in minutes... his name eludes me right now - Now [i]THAT[/i] scares me! Can't see him coming!

Edit: Blue-ring octopus. Average death occurs within about a minute... no known antidote.[xx(]
View Quote

Actually, we're not going to be in Sydney, but in Melbourne, Cairns and Adelaide.

Funny you should mention the blue-ring octopus (thanks a lot!), because one of the places we're diving supposely has a lot of them.  [:D]

NOTE TO SELF:  Don't piss off any octopus in Australia.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But just think how many you eat each year while you sleep.[:D]
View Quote

The average American will eat 8 spiders by the time they die.

Why?

`Cuz human spit is the bomb for spiders.  They love it, and they are attracted to the smell and crawl right in yer pie-hole.
Chomp!

Scott
View Quote

Urban legend - spiders don't like the heat of human bodies, and avoid it if they can.

It's actually ironic how this story became an urban legend, because it was made up by someone to illustrate the ridiculous kinds of stories than become urban legends - and then it became one of its own.  Go figure.  [:D]

[url] http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 4/10/2003 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#50]
[img]http://jewelie.bravepages.com/images/halloween/s_pider.gif[/img]

They killed my link
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top