Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 8:31:07 AM EDT
I'm finishing my spr build and want to put some glass on it that goes to at least 12x.  I'm going to go with the 4.4-14x 42 Burris full field II.  Any other votes?  I've looked at redfield revolutions and vortex diamondback too
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#1]
In your price range, I'd go with one of Nikon's offerings
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
In that range, Primary Arms
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, heres a link to a thread I started on Friday... Some good suggestions in there!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1802434_I_need_an_inexspensive__yet_decent_scope_in_short_notice____Help_.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Vortex makes very nice optics for the money, and they have a great warranty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I would skip the 12x unless you need to shoot really small groups at range.

Better money spent on lower mag w/ better glass
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#6]

I have one of these on one of my AR's. it work very well.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P501.aspx
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would skip the 12x unless you need to shoot really small groups at range.

Better money spent on lower mag w/ better glass
View Quote

Thanks for all the replies in this thread.  Your Comment was my initial thought, but a friend with a similar build and a vortex diamondback 4-12 says he wishes he had more magnification on 300+ yard groundhogs.  This will be a coyote and groundhog gun mostly.  I'd like to try hitting steel at 5 or 600 sometime.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of the most under rated glass on the market.
Worth a look.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
i would look for a used m223 or a new p223 from nikon or check out primary arms in your price range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Worth a look.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth a look.

I really nikon and am impressed by my m223 2-8. i got a used one from the ee and am really happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I occasionally see the Leupold 3.5 - 10 X40 in the $300 price range used.
That is the one that I go with if you can live without turrets.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If I could find one of these I would jump but I am also a fan of the new Redfield line, have a couple myself.
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I could find one of these I would jump but I am also a fan of the new Redfield line, have a couple myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't feel like I need turrets, I do want click adjust vs friction turrets tho
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I grabbed a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x a while ago on sale for around $300 on Midway. May be overkill but I like it so far. Also, mine is the 44mm, not the 50mm

ETA: wrong numbers
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'm finishing my spr build and want to put some glass on it that goes to at least 12x.  I'm going to go with the 4.4-14x 42 Burris full field II.  Any other votes?  I've looked at redfield revolutions and vortex diamondback too
View Quote
OP, a few years back I put a FFII on my SPR build. Decent glass, but ended up putting a SWFA Super Sniper on it. Good glass for the money.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#18]
SWFA SS.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
SWFA SS.
View Quote

Agreed !
When i was shooting long range,i used two of the 10X SS.
All you need,even back at the 1K line. I started with one,and a K24 Weaver.
Went to another 10X,was much easier to hold during trigger break.
The 24X never quit moving with heartbeats.All shooting was off bipod.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok, I'm hearing a lot of votes for swfa ss10x.  If I were to out offset irons or an offset red dot on the gun does anyone see why that scope wouldn't be a good coyote hunting set up?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Does it have to be variable?  The SWFA SS line is legit if fixed is Ok
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok, I'm hearing a lot of votes for swfa ss10x.  If I were to out offset irons or an offset red dot on the gun does anyone see why that scope wouldn't be a good coyote hunting set up?
View Quote

I don't think you would be disappointed but what kind of ranges are your typical shots?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the same price, but gives you a low end variable

I always preferred a scope at 3x or so, so if the dog is coming in fast or close, you can pick him up.

The irons would probably work too, tho
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#24]
All of the suggestions so far are good. It really comes down to personal preference. Having said that, for a scope in that price range I prefer the Burris Fullfield II line. They don't have a ton of elevation adjustment, but since you won't be dialing in a lot of shots you shouldn't mind that, The Ballistic Plex reticle is nice. If you download Strelok on your smart phone you can select that reticle and see where the marks subtend at various yardages at any power through the scope's power range. Also, if you ever need to use their warranty you will be pleased. They have great customer service.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#25]
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Riflescope-Action-Turret-4-12x40/dp/B00BAHMHQW/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1446385964&sr=1-4&keywords=nikon+p223

I've got this on my 24" FrankenAR with an M-223 mount. I love it. 5-600 yard shots are almost routine, and I've gotten hits out to 800. The nikon Spot-on program lets you dial it in for your load.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think you would be disappointed but what kind of ranges are your typical shots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dog shots would be from point blank in the woods to 400 max at the farm I hunt the most.  Ground hogs could be 2-500ish. I usually keep my scopes on the 3x and dial up as needed.  I've deer hunted in WV with a Sako that was wearing a fixed 12x Burris.  It was way too much scope for the application and I didn't feel comfortable for quick shots.  I want to avoid that again
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Nikon.

You won't get better glass in that price range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dog shots would be from point blank in the woods to 400 max at the farm I hunt the most.  Ground hogs could be 2-500ish. I usually keep my scopes on the 3x and dial up as needed.  I've deer hunted in WV with a Sako that was wearing a fixed 12x Burris.  It was way too much scope for the application and I didn't feel comfortable for quick shots.  I want to avoid that again
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO you might do better with the 6x.  Might be tough to get groundhogs at 500 with that but it would seem to fit your ranges and needs better for all the other hunting you do.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a primary arms 4-16 ffp, wouldn't recommend it. My buddy has a vortex model without illumination, it wasn't pricey and has better eye relief.  When it comes to glass, you typically get what you pay for. I like nikon's offerings, glass is clear.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I have one of these, very nice scope.

I just wish tactical turrets were an option.

Timberline™ Riflescope 4.5-14x32mm | Burris Optics

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/timberline-riflescopes-series/timberline-riflescope-4.5-14x32mm

Also, Nikon is one of the few companies that manufactures it's own glass so you can be sure that quality control is top notch.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have one of these, very nice scope.I just wish tactical turrets were an option.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/timberline-riflescopes-series/timberline-riflescope-4.5-14x32mm

Also, Nikon is one of the few companies that manufactures it's own glass so you can be sure that quality control is top notch.

View Quote

I didn't know that about Nikon.  I've heard nothing but good things about the M223 and Prostaff 7 and Monarch series.  Are the P223 and Prostaff 5s nearly as good, or is it worth the extra couple hundred to step up?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I didn't know that about Nikon.  I've heard nothing but good things about the M223 and Prostaff 7 and Monarch series.  Are the P223 and Prostaff 5s nearly as good, or is it worth the extra couple hundred to step up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one of these, very nice scope.I just wish tactical turrets were an option.

I have a p223 3-9x.  Excellent quality.

I'm a camera guy, when you buy camera lenses the good stuff is Japanese glass.  Same applies to scopes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
SWFA SS.
View Quote

I've heard this all over the place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP, heres a link to a thread I started on Friday... Some good suggestions in there!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1802434_I_need_an_inexspensive__yet_decent_scope_in_short_notice____Help_.html
View Quote

Why even waste time on that? ban country?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SWFA SS.

I run these on several guns, including a Barrett 82.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

All of the suggestions so far are good. It really comes down to personal preference. Having said that, for a scope in that price range I prefer the Burris Fullfield II line. They don't have a ton of elevation adjustment, but since you won't be dialing in a lot of shots you shouldn't mind that, The Ballistic Plex reticle is nice. If you download Strelok on your smart phone you can select that reticle and see where the marks subtend at various yardages at any power through the scope's power range. Also, if you ever need to use their warranty you will be pleased. They have great customer service.
View Quote

I am very happy with my Fullfield II 3-9X40 Ballistic Plex. Solid scope for the money. The 4.5-14x42 model is right at $300.

The Nikon suggestion is also not bad.

I'm too poor for $1000 glass.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for everyone chiming in.  I think I'm going to get the swfa ss in 6 or 10x and mount some transition sights.  I have a truglo red dot sitting around, so I may try that first.  I'll probably end up with a primary arms reflex or 45degree iron tho
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Schmidt & Bender Klassik 4-16x50
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm going to still push this weaver since it is still on sale. I know it's blows your budget a little but it is about a $750 scope.

Bonus...illuminated.
Minus....weighs about 23oz...
Bonus...made in Japan/great glass
Minus...$100 over your budget

Weaver....lifetime warranty

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm going to still push this weaver since it is still on sale. I know it's blows your budget a little but it is about a $750 scope.

Bonus...illuminated.

View Quote

Thanks.  Didn't realize the normal price on that scope.  May have to reappropriate ammo fort funds and go with this one.  any mount recommendations?  Should I go PEPR style or riser and rings?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Didn't realize the normal price on that scope.  May have to reappropriate ammo fort funds and go with this one.  any mount recommendations?  Should I go PEPR style or riser and rings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonus...illuminated.

I think a pair of medium height weaver rings would be the lightest mounting solution... I have a PEPR and a PA one piece mounts...Not too wild about them. The PEPR is QD which is not something I need. A $15 set of Redfield rings are cheaper and easier and lighter....
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Another vote for Nikon
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Schmidt & Bender Klassik 4-16x50
View Quote
You might have missed the budget requirement by a bit

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Definitely the SWFA SS, either the 10x42 or 12x42 in the mil/mil flavor.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-12x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53714.aspx

Quoted:
Thanks for everyone chiming in.  I think I'm going to get the swfa ss in 6 or 10x and mount some transition sights.  I have a truglo red dot sitting around, so I may try that first.  I'll probably end up with a primary arms reflex or 45degree iron tho
View Quote

Personally I would skip the offset irons or red dot and just stick with a magnified optic.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think a pair of medium height weaver rings would be the lightest mounting solution... I have a PEPR and a PA one piece mounts...Not too wild about them. The PEPR is QD which is not something I need. A $15 set of Redfield rings are cheaper and easier and lighter....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonus...illuminated.

So to be clear, these rings (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477211361/weaver-tactical-4-hole-skeleton-weaver-style-rings-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding) and this riser (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/878944/weaver-single-rail-system-scope-base-ar-15-flat-top-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding) would be preferable to a mount of this style (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548141657/burris-ar-pepr-1-piece-extended-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-rings-flattop-ar-15-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding)?  I thought that ARs needed a cantilevered mount to achieve proper eye relief without bridging the scope to both the upper and the ff tube?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone suggested that he just bump his budget up 6-7x and get something decent like a night force?

Buy once else cry once...some people's lives depend on their stuff functioning properly...looking through cheap optics can cause eye damage...and all that stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top