BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Booyah!

Problem with this place is that pretty soon someone will be along with something cooler!

Just think of it as a fancy fiber optic "LIDAR gun" that uses so much laser power that you can set things on fire with it if you're not careful...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I built this in grad school:

http://i.imgur.com/AL7sq6c.jpg?1

It's a 4 channel heterodyne velocimeter. I can measure velocities up to 6 km/s. I used it to take data for my thesis work. Shooting stuff for a living is fun!
Ok, I have no idea what you just said, you get the uber-geek crown for now.  

Booyah!

Problem with this place is that pretty soon someone will be along with something cooler!

Just think of it as a fancy fiber optic "LIDAR gun" that uses so much laser power that you can set things on fire with it if you're not careful...
You win for sure unless Keith_J or someone comes along with a nuclear reactor in their basement or something

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
"NightFAL" : but back in the day I lived and breathed assembler and C on the 6502, 6800, 6808, 6809, 68HC11, and Z80

You get a super geek badge

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My 27 year old geek son and I were just talking about how cool that game was. Used to run it on an old 486.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I set up a 52'' flat screen on my computer desk that I use for a monitor - so that when I play X-Wing and Tie Fighter (or X-Wing V.S. Tie Fighter) it feels more like I'm right there in the cockpit.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff422/CBPO/IMG_20150207_212656128.jpg

My 27 year old geek son and I were just talking about how cool that game was. Used to run it on an old 486.

You can run it on new systems now -

www.gog.com

Do it.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I frequently work with uncooked macaroni noodles and glue. With some gold paint, I'm able to whip out AMAZING picture frames. I macramé hanging plant holders.  I'm also fond of painting on velvet.  In the long winters, I get creative and make large 3D buildings from mini marshmallows, chickpeas, and toothpick.

OP, killer orbital generator!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I frequently work with uncooked macaroni noodles and glue. With some gold paint, I'm able to whip out AMAZING picture frames. I macramé hanging plant holders.  I'm also fond of painting on velvet.  In the long winters, I get creative and make large 3D buildings from mini marshmallows, chickpeas, and toothpick.

OP, killer orbital generator!
View Quote
Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did you win the Emmy?  
View All Quotes

I'll tell you after June 27th, that is the award night.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Dr_Shock has the uber-geek crown for now.

Honorable mention for several others so far
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have anything to show.

I just take huge amounts of interest in the workings, hows, whys, of almost anything, and can I make it better.

I spend hours and hours reading and research on the smallest things that 99% of people could care less about. Little facts that are useless other than on a game show or a radio stations daily win a prize questions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't have anything to show.

I just take huge amounts of interest in the workings, hows, whys, of almost anything, and can I make it better.

I spend hours and hours reading and research on the smallest things that 99% of people could care less about. Little facts that are useless other than on a game show or a radio stations daily win a prize questions.

View Quote
I feel your pain, lol

I am the guy that would rather work on my star simulation on a Friday night than go out somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I did my own media closet/server room/ surveillance camera server room

Yeah the wires aren't organized... get over it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I did my own media closet/server room/ surveillance camera server room

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/20150327_214420_zpsea31fdi9.jpg

Yeah the wires aren't organized... get over it.
View Quote
Bonus points for the wall mounted switch thingy

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#17]

What are we looking at here?

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I self-identify as a handsome, physically fit geek.

This is a thread for the geeks of arfcom to show off their work.

I will start.

My first parallel programming challenge.

I am more of a hack than a true geek, hope to see some real geek work here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXyV_9p56BU

View Quote

I thought it was gonna be a dick......What has Arf done to me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
hell yeah I'm a GEEK!  check out the sweet screenshot from my favorite online RPG!

ETA: oh you want the equipment?  Meh, just a mac mini. tho I have a G4 power mac next to it.  yay old school stuff!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I just moved a few days ago so I'm still getting things set up.

Working on reverse engineering my wireless BBQ thermometer tonight:

The rest of the lab

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Show us the shock dyno, thats the nerdy part!

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

no thanks, i'll stick with copper pipes.  all that plastic PEX and those stupid Sharkbite connectors make me really nervous -- like i'm going to come home from a weekend away and the house is filled with water nervous.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I am not an uber geek, but to the average person I am a geek.

I am heavily into ham radio. I have built equipment both from scratch and from kits. I dabble in electronics. Dabble with computers. Play with microcontrolers. Scanners, RTL-SDR dongles. I have antennas all over my pickup. Show up to work with several tablets and computers............

But, I don't really know what I am doing and am not educated. So I am not an uber geek writing complicated software or homebrewing some kind of cutting edge electronics project. But I am geeky enough to think all that stuff is very cool and interesting.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Programmed this on my Canon L5-822.  

http://i61.tinypic.com/24loimg.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#29]

You relay outputs aren't connected and you must have hit a timewar--- oh shit, is that a time machine?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I moved most of my creative interests over to KSP - Kerbal Space Program.
View Quote

I can't tell you how proud I am of this moment, standing on the Mun, looking back at the tiny blue marble that is Kerbin...
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I did a VLOOKUP once in Excel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#32]
My lair...

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I built my own sauna.  
View Quote

Dude, you're Scandinavian.  That's not geek, that's a rite of passage for youse guys.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Booyah!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 4 channel heterodyne velocimeter. I can measure velocities up to 6 km/s. I used it to take data for my thesis work. Shooting stuff for a living is fun!

Booyah!

You mentioned 'heterodyne velocimeter' but didn't point out that you're using lasers.

-20 geek points for you.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I built my homebrew rig, pretty much from scratch.  I need to get around to adding some automation and some ip cameras so I can remotely monitor it when it's hot as hell in the garage.

Back when the Compaq Ipaq (not iPad) was the big deal in Linux handhelds, I did the initial Linux Doom port, wrote the dynamic key mapper, and several other nice to have goodies for it.

I built a complete x86 compatible computer using wire wrap as part of a college senior group project.

I built a HAM radio "briefcase comm system", combining UHF/VHF/HF voice and data with a digital terminal as my individual senior project in college.

I'm currently building a raspberry pi based video player (complete with a tiny touch screen for control) for the lake house.  Still need to pick up a 2amp USB hub to cut up and use in it.

I'm also playing with a banana pi (raspberry pi upgrade with faster CPU and sata connection), and trying to decide whether to make a tablet or laptop out of it.  I have the battery and power supply (5v for the pi and USB, 12v for the LCD) built.

I've built and operated a variety of HAM gear (need to get back into that someday).

I was single channel, RTTY and satellite operator in the Army.

I've been a professional software developer for almost 25 years.  

Eh, that's all I can think of right now.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Knife and AR lower making nerd. Knife is a larger picture of one in my avatar. Lower was a 0%er I machined.

eta - I built this MAME cabinet with a straight edge, a skil saw and a drill.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#37]
School project I worked on:

You can't see me in the video, but you can hear me muttering in the background.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#38]

That's pretty sweet! I'm glad you're not showing off your fancy oscilloscopes again though, you'd make me look like an amateur!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's pretty sweet! I'm glad you're not showing off your fancy oscilloscopes again though, you'd make me look like an amateur!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

damn, that reminds me... new model arrived...  pics soon.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:57:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Does turning a truck up from 300hp to 600hp with a laptop and chunk of 4" pipe qualify?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:58:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You win for sure unless Keith_J or someone comes along with a nuclear reactor in their basement or something  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Booyah!

You can see stuff I worked on in this photo.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I dunno about super geek but I'm always tinkering with shit.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cool, what is it?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dunno if I'm a geek or not, but I design, build, install, and service these:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=77890
Cool, what is it?  

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a PLC cabinet. Looks like an Allen Bradley CompactLogix system.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a data acquisition system hooked up to the freezer I use to keep my fermenting beer at the correct temperature.  Does that count?

ETA::Note, that the temperature is low initially because I turned the freezer on, but accidentally left the temperature probe outside.  Didn't realize it until I went to put my fermenter in the freezer.  I figured, the beer was tad bit warmer than I wanted anyway, so, I just put it in there and let the whole thing equilibrate.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm a bit of a geek... and maybe more of a hack. I don't really know any programming languages... I can kinda do some bash shell scripting..

But anyway, my geeky thing is that I have a home automation controller at home controlling my thermostat, most of the lights and my garage door. I also have an Android phone with Tasker running on it. I have Tasker set up to interface with the HA controller's API to control everything in my house. Some is automatic based on conditions (like "if I'm more than 7km from the house, set the "home" variable to 0 - which then turns off lights and sets my thermostat accordingly), some is just remote control.

I also recently got into a beta / pre-test of a product called Flic. It's a little ~1" button that communicates with my phone via BLE. It can recognize single, double and long presses, and I can set the phone up to do different things based on those actions. I now have it so that on single press, it opens my RSA application for work, double press closes my garage door and long press opens my garage door. The actual product should be shipping sometime in July, I think. I'll have 8 of the buttons on the way. I'll put them in different places and set up different functions... mostly through Tasker.

That's my geekiness.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I wrote some of the first software to kick off the videos at the gas pump craze.

Part of the teams that wrote a lot of the Times Square video software.

Those were different times.  I now work in oil and gas.

As for hobbies, I am more mechanical.  Hand build several rock crawlers,  mostly ride bikes now.  Have touched my tubing bender in a long time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Toasted inverter mounted to motor. New inverter is $2,500.00

Pile of junk parts including an inverter my friend didn't know he had.

Inverter from the junk pile installed, connected to PLC, and powering the 5ft wide conveyor of this wide belt sander.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I built this:

And then I built this:

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#50]
I get paid to sit in a windowless room surrounded by computer cooling fans.  i am a fixer for anything that takes power, really.  I troubleshoot things don't work right in addition to all network, hardware, phone system, and software support. So when I'm not working long hours doing this.

I do things like this.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top