Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/18/2015 8:53:42 PM EDT
Followed a car home tonight on a 2 way highway.The car ahead of us was obviously impaired.The car would swerve into oncomming traffic, and then whip the car back so  fast,,he would hit the gravel shoulder.The swearving happend at least a  dozen  times, in the course of 15 miles.On  2 occasions, the person drove in the right turn lane, but  then wipped the car back into his lane, when the turn lane ended.The guy also could not figure out  when to use his bright, and dim  lights.Finally the person would signal to take  a left turn, where i know there was no turns there.
The person was obviously in no shape to drive.What would you do?MYOB? or try to get this person off the road before he kills someone, or himself?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely call the cops.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably not. I might try to pass him and get as far away from him as possible as quickly as possible. I would probably honk my horn at him as I passed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

I have personally declared dozens of innocent people dead from fuck head drunk drivers killing them, including many kids.  I've been on the hose line and put burning children out from the fiery DUI crash.  DUI apologists can go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I'd call, and I have before. Could save a life or two.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
if he is as you described i would call he is going to hit someone and maybe kill them
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And turn on my hazards while following so the opposing traffic gets a heads-up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.

I'm all for enjoying your drunk mind you but, you're THAT fucked up?

BYE BYE

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I would
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably not. I might try to pass him and get as far away from him as possible as quickly as possible. I would probably honk my horn at him as I passed.
View Quote

Cause that will help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely, didn't you see the movie Spiderman?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. I've done it a couple times before.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at the gas station one night getting ready to pull off.  Drunk dude comes stumbling out with a twelve pack.  Falls down and slams into the side of the building.  We both pull off at the same time.  I end up behind him.  He was swerving all over the place.  I called the cops.  Fuck him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Since I do not have a cell phone, I might try a pit maneuver and put his sorry ass into the barrow pit.  Or maybe not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
You should have called
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Normally I don't like to invite the man into my life under any circumstance.  But this is one of the very few times I would knowing it could save lives.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I did in almost the exact situation, except it was in town and he almost hit over a dozen oncoming cars across the yellow line and missed many trees and cars off the shoulder, in only 2 miles.

I called the cops, followed him into the store he went into, he could barely walk, and pointed him out to the cop that responded.

I am not an invite the man guy, but this was down a 35 mph town street, and Either he was going to kill someone or someone needed to get him off the street. I choose the cops.

Fuck drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would, why did someone say no?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I would call the cops.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I would.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Definitely
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#25]
As a first responder, I will and have called police on erratic drivers. They may not always be drunk, they could be having a medical emergency, such as a stroke or diabetic issues.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have personally declared dozens of innocent people dead from fuck head drunk drivers killing them, including many kids.  I've been on the hose line and put burning children out from the fiery DUI crash.  DUI apologists can go fuck themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

This.

The drunk apologists can fuck off. Maybe it will be one of their children who are crushed, mangled or burned alive, or resigned to life in a wheelchair. Maybe their wife.

Fuck drunk drivers with a football bat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, my wife did call.The police had us give his liscense plate, and location, and met us, just as we were entering a small town.The cop lit up his lights and we pulled
Over so he could get to the person.We were able to safely  follow the pursuit..Amazingly, the person drove probably a mile with the cop behind him with obnoxious lighs flashing at night.We are just sitting here debating our descision.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I always call it in.
Drunk or medical. If they're bad enough to get my attention then I call to have someone check them
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Guy has a non-922r compliant rifle = MYOB.

Guy has a homebuilt suppressor with no paperwork = MYOB.

Guy could kill an innocent at literally any moment because he's driving impaired = Call the cops.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, my wife did call.The police had us give his liscense plate, and location, and met us, just as we were entering a small town.The cop lit up his lights and we pulled
Over so he could get to the person.We were able to safely  follow the pursuit..Amazingly, the person drove probably a mile with the cop behind him with obnoxious lighs flashing at night.We are just sitting here debating our descision.
View Quote

Good decision. Arfcom is the best place for advice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I would and I have.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No debate. Your decision could have saved a life.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Absolutely! If they are not drunk they may be having medical issues.

I did just this in Florida. My wife was driving me home from a race and she saw a semi swerving. It was so bad I told her not to try and pass. I had no desire to die at the hands of a drunk semi truck driver. I called 911 and they had a cop waiting about 10 miles later. I pulled over as instructed. After the cop did his thing he came back and thanked us. He said the driver was very seriously impaired and that if he didn't kill himself he probably would have killed someone else.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Normally I don't like to invite the man into my life under any circumstance.  But this is one of the very few times I would knowing it could save lives.
View Quote

This.

I was in the exact same situation a few years back---following a big ass 4x4 that was all over the road.My 1st inclination was just to fall back and mind my own business.But then I thought what if they kill somebody and I could have stopped it?

I called and stayed on the phone with 911 until the deputy got behind them.1 hour later the deputy called to thank me and tell me he got them for a dui.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go read my above post again.  You made the right decision.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. We have several friends that loss children to drunk drivers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first post
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You did good, no doubt about it.
There is someone (or even a family out there) that doesn't even know that they needed to thank you, because of what you did.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daddy, it burns when I pee. Should I...1. stop peeing, or 2. pack my pants full of ice?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I would, and I have.

When it's that obvious it's a serious safety concern.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I would call without a second thought.  

If I didn't and that person caused an accident which resulted in innocent fatalities, I would feel responsible that I didn't do my part to prevent it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Followed a car home tonight on a 2 way highway.The car ahead of us was obviously impaired.The car would swerve into oncomming traffic, and then whip the car back so  fast,,he would hit the gravel shoulder.The swearving happend at least a  dozen  times, in the course of 15 miles.On  2 occasions, the person drove in the right turn lane, but  then wipped the car back into his lane, when the turn lane ended.The guy also could not figure out  when to use his bright, and dim  lights.Finally the person would signal to take  a left turn, where i know there was no turns there.
The person was obviously in no shape to drive.What would you do?MYOB? or try to get this person off the road before he kills someone, or himself?
View Quote

When the operator is an obvious hazard, I'm calling that in, and I have.  I called 911 and told them what was going on.  It was the stretch of
Killeen TX between post, and Copperas Cove.  The lady driving ended up running into a phone pole right past the Appleby's
The police got there in a hurry, and I pointed her out.  They cuffed her up pretty quick.  She was obviously out of order.  

Another couple that had pulled over co-witnessed my report.  

You're right to liberty ends when it hits my nose.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Yes I would
View Quote

This.

No sense in letting a drunk murder someone on the way home.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#45]
If you have cell coverage, yes, call the police.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done it before and I'd do it again.

The last time it happened the driver blew a .26 BAC and his passenger was already passed out and taken to the ER with acute alcohol poisoning.

The vehicle they were driving???

Me to dispatcher - "Do you know what a Honey Wagon is?"

Dispatcher - "(Gasp), caller reports vehicle is a Honey Wagon, southbound on Lynn Lane near 41st St going about 60 mph headed straight into the city limits..."

ETA: Yeah, they got him stopped with a rolling roadblock before he got too far into town. Then, the shit woulda really hit the fan!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#48]
First post fucking fails.

Absolutely call it in, he's either

a) drunk, so fuck him

or

2) having a medical emergency. One of my drivers rolled a brand-new Escalade on the GSP back in 09 because his blood sugar was low.

Good work, OP

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Cause that will help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause that will help.

He'll probably freak out at the honking and swerve right into you. You want to be IN FRONT of a drunk driver?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top