Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, I care. Not because of the normal everyday folks that might notice. Because of the thug who
 may notice just before he's going to rob a bank or store I happen to be in. To me, that's the whole reason
  I carry. It's not to protect me and mine from the everyday folks.

I've got a full size 1911 and a G21 SF that I try to carry, but they both print pretty bad. The last time I carried
 when I went to Dollar store almost every single person I was near gave me a strange kind of concerned look.

At 5'11" & 185 I don't think I'll be able to carry those two without heavy clothing, but I think Santa's bringing me a G42.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I try not to print, but if I do so be it.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Not where I live, I could get away with open carrying around here if I was so inclined, no one cares. If I'm going to the big city I try to be a little more cautious about it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nope, don't give a shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]

My opportunities to CCW are fairly limited, but one time I had my SP-101 on my hip when I was out shoveling snow. My neighbor got his ATV stuck while plowing and another neighbor and I went over to help him push it out.

While we were pushing, my jacket rode up, exposing my OWB holster. I didn't really care if he saw it or not and it was probably just as well if his doper wife knew that I (at least occasionally) carried.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The only real issue for me is bending over of shirt riding up. I almost always carry an lcp in a crossbreed at about 5:00, but sometimes a g19 at the same position. for some reason its the most comfortable for me, but i cant bend much or you can see it. i need longer shirts apparently.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I try not to print, but if I do so be it.

OC is legal in GA, but not terribly common where I live.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I try not to but it happens.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No fucks given.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No one ever notices. Those that do don't care.
View Quote

Came to post.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes because i live in philly and if someone called the cops it would be a bad day for me

Not a gun friendly place
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Living in Florida the two things I have found comfortable are either pocket carrying a g42, or JM Custom for a GLOCK 17 for aiwb carry. Check out the extra tuck, and soft loops make it super easy to get on and off. I can conceal a full size gun under a t-shirt very effectively, and I am very concerned about printing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't care. Not a problem here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I think its stupid to leave your gun in the car most of the time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't care if it prints or the holster shows.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just got my permit a couple months ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how not to print. I know its fine and most people don't notice, but it's still a mental thing for me.

A few other things I've learned thus far:

- It's hard to hug people while carrying (I'm Baptist, we hug everybody)
- Going to the bathroom poses some challenges
- Carrying in the car or while sitting in some chair is super uncomfortable
- I'm always paranoid that my shirt rose up and is exposing my gun behind me
- My lower back gets sore after a few hours of carrying
View Quote

I use a belt holster, and generally position it at about 4 o'clock, with the holster straddling a belt loop.
That allows me to slide it back and forth.

Driving, I slide it forward as far as it will go, so that its at my side.
Otherwise, it's slid right back, 5 to 5:30 position.

If you can't get enough range of positioning with a belt holster, look at a paddle holster.

Bathroom is a matter of practice, and depends on what is available. To begin, aim for the disabled one, plenty of room there. I know some people don't like it, buy my gun generally get hung on the coat hook. Trying to balance it on the cistern (if there even is one) is asking for it to slide off.

You don't say why your back gets sore? Weight? Friction of the gun? Re-positioning may help. As for your hugging Baptist friends, just let whatever happens happen, if they notice, just say something like "oh, watch the gun". As far as I know, Baptist philosophy has no problem with defending yourself and your family.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have an appendix carry for my G19, Haleys Incog. Its great standing up but when I sit down it digs into my gut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know a lot of guys don't like to carry appendix as the pistol is pointing at the family jewels,  but it is very comfortable. Very concealable. Doesn't hurt your back.  You do need a fairly short-barreled pistol.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I have an appendix carry for my G19, Haleys Incog. Its great standing up but when I sit down it digs into my gut.

I've got something of a belly, but it doesn't dig into me. Of course, I carry a Shield. Not a double stack. I carry about 2 o'clock. The end of my holster clip goes right into the little coin pocket on my jeans. Holster goes right into the crease of my thigh when I sit down. My Shield holster is a pretty minimal kydex one.

I have a N82 Tactical Pro holster for my M&P 9 FS. I'm short and definitely can't carry that full-size appendix. Has to go on my hip, where it does conceal fairly well if I'm wearing a heavy sweatshirt.

ETA: when using a public bathroom, I buckle my belt around my knees after sitting down, no problems. I never take my holstered gun off my belt when out in public.

IL's CCW law has "mostly concealed" language which covers you in case your shirt accidentally rides up, that sort of thing. I've learned that people don't care about the odd lump or bump. Most people just aren't that observant! I've had friends who know I carry look me over and they can't figure out where I'm carrying on body.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I always print, cursive sucks.
View Quote

Nice.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Glock 20 IWB Nobody notices at all
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
-You should consider moving your gun to the side, about 3 or 4 o clock max. In a fight you may be on your back and unable to access your weapon. Same thing with reloads.
View Quote

Also, falling backwards on a large chunk of VERY unforgiving metal situated right over your lower spine is a bad, bad idea.  You didn't want to use those legs again, did you?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#24]
To my knowledge, only once has anyone actually noticed.
I was carrying covered only by my coat.

We were at a restaurant, where typically I will just sit, remove the jacket and leave it draped across them back of the chair, and/or draped around me enough to cover the gun. One time, we were getting up to leave, and somehow my coat caught on the chair, leaving the gun plainly exposed. About two feet from the nose of the occupant of the next table.

She whispered to her husband "he's got a gun!", the husband whispered back "he's probably a cop!".

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a very bad back and have had sciatica over the years. I can't keep my wallet in my back pocket. I started using a leather fanny pack, carried in front, years ago. It has the added benefit of holding my keys, my wallet, spare mags and even a Mini Maglight LED. Nobody has ever given it a second glance. Before they started searching bags I used t even carry it into Disney. I've worn it wearing gym shorts and a T-shirt and if you wear it over the lap belt you have easy access to it while driving. It might not be "cool" but it works, especially for someone with back problems.

Something like this
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry a large gun OWB at 3:30-4:00.  No one has ever noticed it, even with just a tshirt over the top of the holster, and I wouldn't care if they did.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I carry a GL33 or 27 IWB. I simply throw my shirtails over it and the minor printing (if any at all) can be misconstrued and taken by the general public as just another cellphone or electronic device.

And if you are a decent dressed cleancut looking familyman kind of dude with a big printout who is quietly minding his own business walking through a store, people often assume you are an off duty cop who is carrying. But if your 1911 prints out that big on you, you have lost the element of suprise too and you need to fix that.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Not any more now that Georgia allows open carry. Never worried about printing, but  did not want shirt riding over pistol.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, I have been just taking the holster off with the gun in it and setting it on the toilet paper holder thing or on some other surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got my permit a couple months ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how not to print. I know its fine and most people don't notice, but it's still a mental thing for me.

A few other things I've learned thus far:

- It's hard to hug people while carrying (I'm Baptist, we hug everybody)
- Going to the bathroom poses some challenges
- Carrying in the car or while sitting in some chair is super uncomfortable
- I'm always paranoid that my shirt rose up and is exposing my gun behind me
- My lower back gets sore after a few hours of carrying

What #2? Take it out of your holster and put it in your pulled down pants.

Yeah, I have been just taking the holster off with the gun in it and setting it on the toilet paper holder thing or on some other surface.

I usually try to do the same thing.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Used to,  IWB loose shirts etc.

Realized most people are so involved in themselves they have zero situational awareness.

Also if you are wearing khakis and not a fat slob they will probably assume you are some sort of LEO.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#32]
When I first started carrying, I used to worry about printing all the time, and was constantly checking to make sure my shirt hadn't uncovered the gun, etc.  Now I throw on my shirt and go.  I don't care if I print or not, as long as it's not overly obvious (a la skin tight shirt with a full size .45 OWB).  No one here notices or cares.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Nope not at all.  I did at first, but it's not a legal issue here so I don't care.  Nobody notices anyway.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#34]
No, I don't care.

As you say, I am not being obvious about it. I make an effort to conceal. However, I realize that if someone is actually looking to see if I am carrying, they can probably tell. I carry a full sized gun in an IWB holster and the grip prints.

I don't believe that anybody who matters is looking to see if I am carrying. I don't think the average person would notice if a train locomotive was speeding in their direction. Most people don't pay any attention at all to what is going on around them. To the point that I doubt that very many people even realize another person is standing near them, let alone checking me out to the point that they notice my shirt has some funny wrinkles in it.

I have been carrying for years and it has never been mentioned. So, I may be correct, or maybe people have noticed and didn't care, or maybe people noticed and just assumed I had something else hung on my belt...................................
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Not really.

People are fucking oblivious, as a rule.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I try not to but I also don't really go out of my way to avoid it either.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nope.

No one but other gun owners will know what it is.

Plus I own the company I work at. I could open carry if I wanted to.
View Quote

bingo
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not at all. It's not a big deal where I live. (MT)
View Quote

Same in MS.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Duh,

That's why I wear my CCW Badge next to the holster.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]
No.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Its a non issue in Alaska.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I worried about it at first. I thought everyone around me knew. Now 20 years later, meh. However, wind plus button up shirt was fun onetime.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I have been carrying since 1992
I dress for carry and avoid printing like a plague.
No one might notice some printing, doesn't matter.
No legal consequence, doesn't matter.
My personal standard is to avoid printing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I dont care in the least bit.

I dont think I generally do print, but if I did I could care less
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes, I care.  No one should know I'm carrying, period.

If I print, I'm doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Not particularly.  Don't want to print, but meh.  We're an open carry state.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nobody notices anyway. People are generally absorbed in their own little world and don't pay attention to anything else.
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Also, falling backwards on a large chunk of VERY unforgiving metal situated right over your lower spine is a bad, bad idea.  You didn't want to use those legs again, did you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-You should consider moving your gun to the side, about 3 or 4 o clock max. In a fight you may be on your back and unable to access your weapon. Same thing with reloads.

This, even plastic like a G30 Glock hurts like a muther.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nope, don't give a shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top