Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to worry about it more.  Now, I'd rather carry a G19/34 OWB than a G26 IWB.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, don't give a shit.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Nah, most of the time my mode of carry is a simple OWB paddle holster and tee shirt.

People are oblivious.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I try not to print, but if I do so be it.
View Quote

That's how I feel. The problem I have is things on the top shelf. Especially bottled water. I am not the tallest guy and I have to really stretch to get a back 6 pack as it seems my bottled water is always way to the back of the top shelf. I know everything gets exposed during that brief 3-4 seconds so I try to wait until no one is right there but a few times someone has come right around the corner and either caught a glimpse of my XD.45 or the other side caught my spare mag/flashlight combo paddle holster.

I do not like trouble so if I think I have been seen in a situation like that where my outer shirt rides up I head for the checkout pretty quickly, as I have learned here that some nutjub antis will the cops on you and even lie that you are brandishing your gun at people or robbing the place.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't care. Not a problem here.
View Quote

Yep.

Only had one guy ask what I'm carrying... A family man with his wife and kids in an Aldi's parking lot... But I think it had more to do with my "I Iove Gun and Titties" t-shirt

Took me by surprise, I was like "what?" and he repeated his self... I just said "Glock 23 with a lil smirk". He responded with "Nice" and a head nod... And we both went on our way.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw two guys open carrying yesterday in my Walmart.    Imagine how many people did not even see those.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope I could care less, nobody is even looking
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
nope, doesn't bother me a bit. even here in liberal land of southern maine, it's still maine and most people are pretty used to guns. hell I see people OCing and unless they're the "look at me" type assholes most folks don't bat an eye
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
No. I do my best to chose holsters and clothing that will minimize the exposure, but past that I don't care.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
nope.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know a lot of guys don't like to carry appendix as the pistol is pointing at the family jewels,  but it is very comfortable. Very concealable. Doesn't hurt your back.  You do need a fairly short-barreled pistol.

View Quote

I feel like if you sit a lot appendix carry doesn't work very well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know a lot of guys don't like to carry appendix as the pistol is pointing at the family jewels,  but it is very comfortable. Very concealable. Doesn't hurt your back.  You do need a fairly short-barreled pistol.

I guess it depends on your build. about a third of the Federal Air Marshals I used to support carried appendix. They sit on planes for a living.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I guess it depends on your build. about a third of the Federal Air Marshals I used to support carried appendix. They sit on planes for a living.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having the proper holster is the only way to do it. I have a crossbreed supertuck and tried it once and it was uncomfortable as hell. I'm 6' 180 and feel like appendix would be the most concealable way to carry for me personally.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Outside the waist at 2:30. Fishing shirt untucked. It prints a little but no one notices.

I normally forget it is there. You need to carry 100% of the time.
View Quote

This.
Most everyone you come in contact with will have no idea you are even carrying a gun.
Those that will suspect won't say anything.
If your holster is uncomfortable, change holsters or guns until you get it right.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Gave up caring all That much when I realized a vast majority of the populace is oblivious.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I do care, and take steps to avoid it, but 99.999% of people are utterly unaware of their surroundings. They get so wrapped up with their lives and their phones that they likely would have no idea if they'd even seen something at all. Think about what they tell you about public speakers doing presentations ... You could virtually have your nuts hanging out while you talk and nobody would notice.

No insult to them. Just is what it is. The fraction of a percent who would notice are probably the more switched-on among us - police, probably criminals, motivated/concerned citizens like myself. I've noticed  concealed guns on people before. Probably missed a ton more.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nope.
View Quote

Me neither. I have pocket carried a G27 since the 1990s. I've never had anyone give me a second glance.

Last year I was out to lunch with my nephew who is LE (you know who). Most of the way through the meal he asked me: "Where is it?" He knew that I always carried. He was trying to see if I was printing. I guess that I wasn't.

I told him that I had the G27 in my right front pocket and an extra mag in the left front. DeSantis Super Fly Pocket Holster FTW.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried appendix carry a couple times. It's possibly the most comfortable for me while standing. And probably the least comfortable while sitting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do the same. When I print, I look like a tranny.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I have been just taking the holster off with the gun in it and setting it on the toilet paper holder thing or on some other surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got my permit a couple months ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how not to print. I know its fine and most people don't notice, but it's still a mental thing for me.

A few other things I've learned thus far:

- It's hard to hug people while carrying (I'm Baptist, we hug everybody)
- Going to the bathroom poses some challenges
- Carrying in the car or while sitting in some chair is super uncomfortable
- I'm always paranoid that my shirt rose up and is exposing my gun behind me
- My lower back gets sore after a few hours of carrying

What #2? Take it out of your holster and put it in your pulled down pants.

Yeah, I have been just taking the holster off with the gun in it and setting it on the toilet paper holder thing or on some other surface.

That's how guns get left in bathrooms. If I'm not carrying in a belly band, it goes into the "undie hammock".
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might be different for a guy, but my barrel goes between my parts and my thigh when I sit. Much more comfortable than a gun digging me in the back of the hip.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, my barrel is actually kinda long according to the gals who have handled it since the divorce.  They all say it conceals quite nicely.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I really don't think people notice. Some of my smaller T-Shirts present a minor problem but for the most part that's all I wear and most are fine. Seems dark colors are best.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have a short barreled pistol in that position.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Having the proper holster is the only way to do it. I have a crossbreed supertuck and tried it once and it was uncomfortable as hell. I'm 6' 180 and feel like appendix would be the most concealable way to carry for me personally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the G-Code INCOG which I believe was made for Appendix and it just does't work with my skinny ass. The grip sticks way out to the side and as you know, sitting is terrible, it jabs into my "guy" just above my junk. I have to use it at 3-4 o' clock and it works there with one clip.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nobody notices anyway. People are generally absorbed in their own little world and don't pay attention to anything else.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]
An offset belt loop on a IWB holster is very comfortable for appendix carry.  It moves enough not to gouge, but has never slipped below the waistband.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Can you link the law you're referring to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, because in Utah that could be construed as "brandishing", although in reality the cops would probably just give you some stern advice about keeping it concealed.

Can you link the law you're referring to?

http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter10/76-10-S506.html?v=C76-10-S506_2014040320140513

Looks like it no longer applies.  Based on the footnotes, it appears the Legislature amended the law this past spring, so simply having someone see your gun no longer qualifies.

In the early days of concealed carry, you could get cited for simply showing your gun inadvertently.  Some police departments were more zealous than others in enforcing this.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This.  I was a nervous CCWer when I first started carrying regularly 10 years ago.  Now, not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  I was a nervous CCWer when I first started carrying regularly 10 years ago.  Now, not so much.

Back when I started carrying nearly 20 years ago, some PDs were not up to speed with the law, and some cops weren't very enthusiastic about it.  There were some cases of getting harassed for simply showing your gun by accident.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Ordinary printing is okay, but calligraphy has more class and style.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yea, I care. Not because of the normal everyday folks that might notice. Because of the thug who
 may notice just before he's going to rob a bank or store I happen to be in. To me, that's the whole reason
  I carry. It's not to protect me and mine from the everyday folks.

I've got a full size 1911 and a G21 SF that I try to carry, but they both print pretty bad. The last time I carried
 when I went to Dollar store almost every single person I was near gave me a strange kind of concerned look.

At 5'11" & 185 I don't think I'll be able to carry those two without heavy clothing, but I think Santa's bringing me a G42.
View Quote

I'm nearly the same size and I can conceal a 1911 under a loose t shirt.
You need to find a good holster/belt combo and play around with carry positions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I appendix carry so I don't think I've ever printed while carrying that way. The other day a guy at my gym was talking to the dude at the front desk and the bottom of his holster was sticking out under his t shirt. Other people besides me saw it but nobody gave a shit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah..  Really don't care.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not at all. It's not a big deal where I live. (MT)
View Quote

Nice, and thank you for including where you live in your "location specific" reply.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I absolutely do not want to print. I live amongst a bunch of anti-gun leftist commies (cleveland) who will drop dime if they even think someone has a 'weapon'. Then I'm surrounded with cops with guns drawn. God bless you all who live red.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes. Concealed is concealed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I try not to print. If I do print occasionally, I don't really care.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Only time I care about printing is when I'm at work. We have no formal weapons policy, but I know the owner doesn't like people carrying guns. She flipped shit when she called me one day to help her move a desk, I was already driving around, and open carrying.

Outside of work, I don't give a flying fuck. When I went to vote, I had to leave my gun in the car, since my voting location is a school, but my OWB holster was about an inch below my shirt line, so very easily seen.

The vast majority of the populace doesn't think about a gun when they see an odd bulge under someones shirt.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Spring-Summer? I prefer IWB with a G36. Very low profile

Fall-Winter?  OWB with a G19 or G17. I wear a fleece jacket or L Waffle Pro 99% of the time if not a heavier jacket weather dependent.

I have never really felt uncomfortable either way. Having a proper holster and dressing "around the gun" is key IMO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got my permit a couple months ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how not to print. I know its fine and most people don't notice, but it's still a mental thing for me.

That's how people wind up leaving their gun in the bathroom.    
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice, and thank you for including where you live in your "location specific" reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not at all. It's not a big deal where I live. (MT)

Well, I did that since my location shows Afghanistan and I can assure you that you only get looked at weird here if you DON'T carry.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#44]
We do have a "carry issues" forum in the Handguns section.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stopped taking a shit in public. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#46]
don't care unless Im in a place (non-government) that forbids it..like a movie theatre.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not really.

People are fucking oblivious, as a rule.
View Quote

this!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I absolutely do not want to print. I live amongst a bunch of anti-gun leftist commies (cleveland) who will drop dime if they even think someone has a 'weapon'. Then I'm surrounded with cops with guns drawn. God bless you all who live red.
View Quote

West side of CLE here and I don't care if I print.
The only people who will ever hug me already know I carry.  
At work we do our best not to open carry, but we pretty much always have guns laying about.  Our employees are getting accustomed to seeing AR's and Glocks carried through the factory.

But some places it's best to be very concealed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I always print.  My carry guns are a 4.5" XDm and a Beretta 92A1.   There is no concealing those....
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I never noticed anyone noticing and don't care much if they do.
I view it more as an art - something worth trying to do as well as I can.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top