BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya know except for the millions of duramax v8 built over the last dozen years.    

Straight six is great for torque, but the rotating assembly weighs too much for higher rpms, which is where the HP comes from.
Case in point a tuned duramax (or ps) makes as much hp as a 15 liter straight six in a kenworth, not nearly as much torque but as much hp.

It's a balance, no doubt the straight six is a more robust design overall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outside of power strokes, super liners and Detroit drippers... there aren't many V8 diesels...

Not related, but nothing sounds quite as awesome as a Detroit marine V8.

Straight six is great for torque, but the rotating assembly weighs too much for higher rpms, which is where the HP comes from.
Case in point a tuned duramax (or ps) makes as much hp as a 15 liter straight six in a kenworth, not nearly as much torque but as much hp.

Torque is what moved things. Horsepower is what people lie to their friends about....

You are lucky to see 500hp out of a big rig in most cases but it's not uncommon to see 1,850ft/lbs of torque.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sure - in the 2016 Tundra 5.0 TurboDiesel.

Please Be True!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seeing the need to fill the demand, Ram is now making efforts to increase availability of the EcoDiesel Ram 1500 by adding more units to the production schedule. As the year comes to a close, more than 20% of all Ram 1500s sold will be of the diesel burning variant.

Article

no 8 cylinder?

Please Be True!

Dear Lord of all things holy that is one FUGLY truck.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I get 18 city 23 highway with my '14 Ram Express single cab with the Hemi. It runs like a bat out of Hades, like a big block '70 Chevelle, but very economically. Not seeing advantage of diesel over this motor... yet. I'll keep open mind.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My main point of concern would be reliability/cost of repairs and parts. I believe the engine is made by an Italian company, correct?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sell them for a living and yes, we have dozens of reports of 27+ mpg reports from owners.  I had one customer stop by to brag that he averaged 28.4 on a trip to Louisville and back.  (unloaded).

If anyone has one and they are not getting the economy on the highway, we had one who had had an out of spec O2 sensor that didn't throw codes but needed replaced and mpg jumped up to expectations.   They are sweet!  

I don't know about other areas of the country but we are a volume dealer and you can get into an SLT crew for mid $30's.

Eta:  now that word has gotten out - they are pre-selling before they even hit the lot.  I knew this would happen and the feeding frenzy is interesting to say the least.
My main point of concern would be reliability/cost of repairs and parts. I believe the engine is made by an Italian company, correct?

The engine has been used in Europe for several years so testing has been more than proven.  I would trade my F-150 for one in a heartbeat if I weren't a complete tightass.

Eta; five year100,000 mile warranty on drivetrain ftr.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I6's FTW.
An I6 is internally and externally inherently balanced, IMO a V8 in a diesel is a compromise due to space.
And in saying that somehow BMW still manages to get I6's under the hood of cars no less and there's still room to work on them.

Wife's looking for a new truck, those eco diesels sound like an awesome setup but I see that it's a V6? Wtf
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outside of power strokes, super liners and Detroit drippers... there aren't many V8 diesels...

I6's FTW.
An I6 is internally and externally inherently balanced, IMO a V8 in a diesel is a compromise due to space.
And in saying that somehow BMW still manages to get I6's under the hood of cars no less and there's still room to work on them.

Wife's looking for a new truck, those eco diesels sound like an awesome setup but I see that it's a V6? Wtf

Whats wrong with a V6?

It is a bridge to get the power of a gas V8 with much better mileage without the need to go super-duty sized.

Nissan is supposed to put a 2.8 Cummings in their light pickup.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Torque is what moved things. Horsepower is what people lie to their friends about....

You are lucky to see 500hp out of a big rig in most cases but it's not uncommon to see 1,850ft/lbs of torque.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, in a rig the i6 is the way to go, but in a smaller vehicle the low redline and shift points would be strange. A rig has what 1k rpm of useable rev?

The Cummins in the 2500 is pretty close to the v8s diesels in terms of redline so maybe....
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with the Hemi over the diesel myself. Ymmv (literally)
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HP is irrelevant for heavy hauling, torque at the rpm which the work is done is the goal for max work and efficiency.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

HP is irrelevant for heavy hauling, torque at the rpm which the work is done is the goal for max work and efficiency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross over-simplification.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I get 18 city 23 highway with my '14 Ram Express single cab with the Hemi. It runs like a bat out of Hades, like a big block '70 Chevelle, but very economically. Not seeing advantage of diesel over this motor... yet. I'll keep open mind.
View Quote

Unless you are regularly hauling a gooseneck full of cattle, there really isn't a big advantage with diesel being more expensive than gas in most areas. Engine longevity is an advantage, but these days a well maintained engine will outlast the chassis anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Whats wrong with a V6?

It is a bridge to get the power of a gas V8 with much better mileage without the need to go super-duty sized.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I6's FTW.

Whats wrong with a V6?

V6's have to be balanced internally and externally if the engine had its way it would shake itself into submission.
V6's are more difficult to work on then I6's.

One of my favorite engines of all time is a V6 but they are inferior to an I6 and a V6's ENTIRE existance is due to making compromises like the one you mentioned as well as trying to save space over an i6.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unless you are regularly hauling a gooseneck full of cattle, there really isn't a big advantage with diesel being more expensive than gas in most areas. Engine longevity is an advantage, but these days a well maintained engine will outlast the chassis anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? What are you babbling about?

VW Passat gasser is getting around 32-35mpg
VW Passat 2.0D is getting 50+mpg.

42% increase in mileage for a 12-15% increased fuel costs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dat compression.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hemi vs Diesel in truck; minor increase in MPG, higher fuel cost, higher initial purchase cost.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are they all Lifted with truck nutz?
View Quote

. Likely true.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wish it was available in their lower trim levels. Even finding a used one all I could find was 1, and it was $52k.
View Quote

It is.  You can even get it as a quad 4x4 in the base tradesman trim for $36,180 or for only $32,840 if you want a 2wd quad cab base model with the ecodiesel.

If you like to be really spartan, you can get the base model, 2wd, reg. cab longbed with the Ecodiesel for $28,140.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Will the Dodge Eco burn 20% bio without a problem?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Will the Dodge Eco burn 20% bio without a problem?
View Quote

Yes.  Rated for B20.

Ecodiesel Biodiesel Compatibility
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#20]
They didn't anticipate this, did they.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So you're saying high HP and high revving I6's don't exist?
I have an I6 sitting in my garage that puts out almost 550 crank torque and can rev to 7k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying high HP and high revving I6's don't exist?
I have an I6 sitting in my garage that puts out almost 550 crank torque and can rev to 7k.

Oooh, 550 tq? Holy shit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the oilfield. With dual straight stacks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It is.  You can even get it as a quad 4x4 in the base tradesman trim for $36,180 or for only $32,840 if you want a 2wd quad cab base model with the ecodiesel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish it was available in their lower trim levels. Even finding a used one all I could find was 1, and it was $52k.

but its a fucking dodge with a shitty Italian car motor.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeing the need to fill the demand, Ram is now making efforts to increase availability of the EcoDiesel Ram 1500 by adding more units to the production schedule. As the year comes to a close, more than 20% of all Ram 1500s sold will be of the diesel burning variant.

Article

no 8 cylinder?

Please Be True!

Dear Lord of all things holy that is one FUGLY truck.

http://wardsauto.com/site-files/wardsauto.com/files/imagecache/large_img/uploads/2014/02/14-toyota-tundra.jpg

They have time to tweak on the design a little, if not I guess I'll save a lot of money and just keep my 12.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. The 3.0 Ecoboost was designed in 2007 by GM and VM motors for the Cadillac (GM owned 50% of VM)  When GM went bankrupt, Fiat bought the other 50% of VM and revitalized the program.  GM wanted the VM for the Silverado but Fiat cockblocked them by buying up the rest of the shares of VM.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 12v Cummins 5.9L is music.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#27]
the more new diesels made... the more use diesels there will be floating around.. hopefully resulting in decent used truck prices on diesels down the road.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I believe Dodge is a brand also, Daimler-chrysler is the company.

I'm still trying to figure out where all these eco diesels Ram is supposedly selling are at, I'm on the road everyday and have only seen one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is ram a company

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It's a brand.

So Dodge is the company.  wouldn't Dodge be the one increasing production of the Ram brand of trucks ?

I'm still trying to figure out where all these eco diesels Ram is supposedly selling are at, I'm on the road everyday and have only seen one.

Daimler-Chrysler is kaput. Chrysler is now married with the parent company of Fiat.

(and it's for the better. Daimler nearly killed Chrysler)
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Daimler-Chrysler is kaput. Chrysler is now married with the parent company of Fiat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is ram a company

It's a brand.

So Dodge is the company.  wouldn't Dodge be the one increasing production of the Ram brand of trucks ?

Yeah, merger of equals my ass.  Daimler raped Chrysler for small car tech and capital for MB.  Fiat owns 65% of Dodge if I am not mistaken.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many of us that use our trucks to tow trailers prefer the Cummins. The I-6 design is time-tested and very effective for the reason you stated: torque.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a hard time believing the mileage numbers.
View Quote

28 is a stretch, but I believe they are getting 25-26 all day long on the highway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Guys on the Ram forum are reporting 29 mpg in quad cab 4x4's at 70-75 mph on the interstate.

But let the Dodge haters hate!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Yea, and my dick is 29 inches.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, the 6.0 Powerstrokes are the best sounding diesel.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Guys on the Ram forum are reporting 29 mpg in quad cab 4x4's at 70-75 mph on the interstate.

But let the Dodge haters hate!
View Quote

Dodge + diesel + Internet =
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Have you guys driven/ridden in one yet?

My lord they are sloooow. Yeah, mpg woohoo. I understand what its built  for, but im telling yall. They are irritatingly slow, almost offensive.  
Imo, the engine is just not enough Ci. 3.5l is a tiny engine, I dont care how many turbos you pile on it.
A half ton diesel needs to be 4.5l or so.
View Quote

Of course I would have to drive one to really know if it's true or not, but so many truck drivers today expect their trucks to perform like sports cars. I'm often surprised by what people expect a truck to do out on the open road.  Vehicles that I would have no complaints about with regards to acceleration, would drive some of these drivers mad..

The 3.5l TD apparently has 2 seconds slower 0-60 time than the Ford Ecoboost. I have to ask myself if this is a figure I would really care about, when it makes substantially more MPG and torque than the Ecoboost does.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they're not in the shop
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is ram a company

It's a brand.

Diamler killed the ME412, thats all you need to know about that merger
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was trying to be nice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited with the Ecodiesel, crew cab, 6'4" bed. I get a hand calculated 26.5-28 mpg on the highway and 23-23.5 mpg combined, this is 70% highway driving I would say. I use the Gas Cubby app to track all my fuel purchases.

Fuel economy was 24-25 mpg on the highway until it got broken in a bit, saw an improvement between 4000 and 5000 miles.

It's a great truck.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited with the Ecodiesel, crew cab, 6'4" bed. I get a hand calculated 26.5-28 mpg on the highway and 23-23.5 mpg combined, this is 70% highway driving I would say.

Fuel economy was 24-25 mpg on the highway until it got broken in a bit, saw an improvement between 4000 and 5000 miles.

It's a great truck.
View Quote
price?  any silly dealer markups or other fun games?  Seems like dealers love screwing around when they have something in short demand

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
42K start for a 4x4 Crew Cab. No thanks.
View Quote

While I agree it's out of most peoples budget, this (price increases) are forever in the truck buyers future.

Soon a 2WD pick up will be in the high $20,000 range and all 4x4's will touch the $40,000 mark. Likely in the next 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#43]
What is the oil change interval on the Eco?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Of course I would have to drive one to really know if it's true or not, but so many truck drivers today expect their trucks to perform like sports cars. I'm often surprised by what people expect a truck to do out on the open road.  Vehicles that I would have no complaints about with regards to acceleration, would drive some of these drivers mad..

The 3.5l TD apparently has 2 seconds slower 0-60 time than the Ford Ecoboost. I have to ask myself if this is a figure I would really care about, when it makes substantially more MPG and torque than the Ecoboost does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually the ram 3.0 diesel and the 3.5 ecoboost Ford engines make exactly the same torque numbers. 420 ft/lbs.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Don't know why... That's been a huge hole in the truck market for decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They didn't anticipate this, did they.

Don't know why... That's been a huge hole in the truck market for decades.

Right? This is like how Remington does business.

I honestly cannot understand what goes on within some of these corporations.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you guys driven/ridden in one yet?

My lord they are sloooow. Yeah, mpg woohoo. I understand what its built  for, but im telling yall. They are irritatingly slow, almost offensive.  
Imo, the engine is just not enough Ci. 3.5l is a tiny engine, I dont care how many turbos you pile on it.
A half ton diesel needs to be 4.5l or so.

Everyone knows that stock diesels are slow, that is not where they shine.

Ram Eco 0-60 in 8.9
Ram 6.7 cummins 0-60 in 9.5 (370hp/800tq)
Ford 6.7 scorpion 0-60 in 8.3 (400hp/800tq)
15 Golf TDI 0-60 in 8.6
The v10 Touareg diesel was a mid-high 7second 0-60

Even the all mighty 444ci 7.3 Powerstroke diesel Super Duty took @10 seconds to reach 60.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
price?  any silly dealer markups or other fun games?  Seems like dealers love screwing around when they have something in short demand

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited with the Ecodiesel, crew cab, 6'4" bed. I get a hand calculated 26.5-28 mpg on the highway and 23-23.5 mpg combined, this is 70% highway driving I would say.

It's a great truck.

I ordered it back in early June and got it at the end of July, sticker was $58,500 and I got them down to $51,000 out the door without trying too hard. I could have probably squeezed more out of them but my company covers $650 a month of my payment so I didn't get too worked up. No markup or anything.

Buddy went to the same dealer and bought a Tradesman 4x4 with the same cab/bed configuration as me, sticker was $39K and he got them down to $32K out the door.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A Fiat V-6.

How about a 3.3 Cummins?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
A Fiat V-6.

How about a 3.3 Cummins?

Iveco and VM Motori make some very well regarded light diesels.

In that displacement level, the Euros are far ahead of the US in diesel tech.

In June 2010 VM Motori started the production of the new 2.8L 4-cylinder Euro 5 engine to power the 2011 Jeep Wrangler, 2011 Jeep Cherokee and 2012 Lancia Voyager. The A428 has a maximum power of 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) and a torque of 460 N·m (340 lb·ft) at 1800 rpm. On the manual version of the Jeep Wrangler the A428 features the Stop/Start system to reduce the CO2 emissions.

They should bring that to the US.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What is the oil change interval on the Eco?
View Quote

10,000 miles.

Oil change at the dealer cost me $150, $50 for filter and $100 for 9 quarts of synthetic oil. I sucked it up this time because I just got back from a trip and needed to change it. Can't wait for some aftermarket filters to hit the streets.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top