User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the oil change interval on the Eco?
View Quote

Its 10,000 miles.  Sames as the DEF tank range. Dealer charges $120-$150 for the oil change on the Ecodiesel.  A lot of dealers are giving free maintenance as well.  Many owners on the Ram forums are receiving between 2-4 free oil changes at their dealers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
So getting 8-10 mpg a gallon more for fuel that costs .40 more a gallon and the engine is a dog, and on top of that it's a 20k premium over a base engine?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So getting 8-10 mpg a gallon more for fuel that costs .40 more a gallon and the engine is a dog, and on top of that it's a 20k premium over a base engine?
View Quote

Most of these things don't make economic sense.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Its 10,000 miles.  Sames as the DEF tank range. Dealer charges $120-$150 for the oil change on the Ecodiesel.  A lot of dealers are giving free maintenance as well.  Many owners on the Ram forums are receiving between 2-4 free oil changes at their dealers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2015 Mercedes V-6 Turbo diesel is 20,000 miles on oil changes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad they increased it. It used to be 10K.  Id be scared to wait that long though, especially since the owners manual states the engine will consume up to .9qt of oil every 600 miles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
42K start for a 4x4 Crew Cab. No thanks.
View Quote

That can't haul ass when it needs to. I heard they were real dogs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The DEF on the Dmaxs MIGHT last between oil changes, but you damn sure better have some with you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The DEF on the Dmaxs MIGHT last between oil changes, but you damn sure better have some with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of gas stations now have DPF pumps by the gas pumps.  Just top it off every month or so I guess.  Better than driving around with a bottle of urea in the back seat.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

THAT is what pissed me off. Sorry but a truck shouldn't be anywhere near 40K unless it comes with 10-15K in hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way on Gods green earth would I go 20K between oil changes, especially on a high pressure DI one where the pump is lubed by the oil. And it's not just the miles, it's the time between changes that I'm not liking.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Glad they increased it. It used to be 10K.  Id be scared to wait that long though, especially since the owners manual states the engine will consume up to .9qt of oil every 600 miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 2011 Mercedes Turbo with 65K, oil changed every 10K, never added any between changes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No way on Gods green earth would I go 20K between oil changes, especially on a high pressure DI one where the pump is lubed by the oil. And it's not just the miles, it's the time between changes that I'm not liking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has a 100K warranty.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Huh? What are you babbling about?

VW Passat gasser is getting around 32-35mpg

VW Passat 2.0D is getting 50+mpg.

42% increase in mileage for a 12-15% increased fuel costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get 18 city 23 highway with my '14 Ram Express single cab with the Hemi. It runs like a bat out of Hades, like a big block '70 Chevelle, but very economically. Not seeing advantage of diesel over this motor... yet. I'll keep open mind.

Unless you are regularly hauling a gooseneck full of cattle, there really isn't a big advantage with diesel being more expensive than gas in most areas. Engine longevity is an advantage, but these days a well maintained engine will outlast the chassis anyway.

Huh? What are you babbling about?

VW Passat gasser is getting around 32-35mpg

VW Passat 2.0D is getting 50+mpg.

42% increase in mileage for a 12-15% increased fuel costs.

He's right. A TDI Passat costs about $2,000 more than a comparable gas model. Diesel is $3.99 a gallon here and gas is $3.29. The official highway number on the TDI Passat is 42mpg but I'll split the difference with your 50mpg claim and calculate it at 46mpg for this and use 35mpg for the gasser.

If one drove both cars for 200,000 miles with those numbers they would spend $17,347 on diesel and $18,800 on gas. So over 200,000 miles it actually cost the diesel owner about $500 extra dollars considering original purchase price. People drive diesel cars because they want to drive diesel cars, they typically aren't saving any money though over driving a comparable gas model when you crunch the numbers.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It has a 100K warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has a 100K warranty.

So what about that other 100-150K after the first 100K?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why we have used oil analysis services.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty sure Mercedes has some trick system that monitors oil life.  Something involving laser beams and mirrors.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure Mercedes has some trick system that monitors oil life.  Something involving laser beams and mirrors.
View Quote

Many new vehicles do, and most are very simply, like how many miles

Others track things like engine temp, RPM, hours, start/stop, etc and have an algorithm to tell you when to change your oil.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The engine is far from a dog. It's awesome with the 8 speed transmission.

Not sure where you're getting the 20K premium? Read my previous posts in this thread, coworker got one new off the lot for 32K. Crew cab, 6'4" box, Tradesman trim.

Diesel fuel in my area is 9% more than the lowest grade of gas, and I'm getting 20-25% better fuel economy on average compared to the same truck with a Hemi.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder how much injectors cost for these engines. Or the high pressure fuel pump.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where on God's green earth is a hp common rail injection pump lubed by crank case oil? Is ford still doing that dumb shit?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So you're saying high HP and high revving I6's don't exist?

I have an I6 sitting in my garage that puts out almost 550 crank torque and can rev to 7k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Outside of power strokes, super liners and Detroit drippers... there aren't many V8 diesels...

Not related, but nothing sounds quite as awesome as a Detroit marine V8.
Ya know except for the millions of duramax v8 built over the last dozen years.    

Straight six is great for torque, but the rotating assembly weighs too much for higher rpms, which is where the HP comes from.

Case in point a tuned duramax (or ps) makes as much hp as a 15 liter straight six in a kenworth, not nearly as much torque but as much hp.

It's a balance, no doubt the straight six is a more robust design overall.

So you're saying high HP and high revving I6's don't exist?

I have an I6 sitting in my garage that puts out almost 550 crank torque and can rev to 7k.
Not saying that, of course high rpm low BMEP i6 engines exist. The key is low (relative) BMEP. Low cylinder pressure doesn't require the heavy components of a typical diesel. When your making 3-400 psi BMEP you need to swing serious steel.

At high rpms that weight become a problem.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top