Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Great actor too.

I'm saddened that he's gone.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What Dreams May Come was my favorite movie of his.  Never cared for his comedy.
View Quote

OOOO, fucking GREAT movie, good acting all around.
I really like "Bicentennial Man".  Based on the Isaac Asimov short story about a robot searching for his humanity.  Really explores what it means to be "human".
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes.

He was funny and a great actor.  The guy also did ALOT of USO shows.

Good in my book.
View Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA&sns=em

Could someone embed for me? Damn "smart"phone...
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Never loved his comedic routine, his acting though crossed boundaries. Like him in  " Goodwill Hunting ", the movie were he worked in the photo lab, " Mrs Doubtfire " and numerous others. R.I.P. Robin Williams.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a huge Jonathan Winters fan and enjoyed Robin's whit and ability to improvise.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, I honestly didn't.
In fact if he was in a movie, I didn't watch it. His humor annoyed me for some reason.
View Quote

You've missed some pretty good movies then.
Look up some of his non-comedic movies, he actually does a pretty good job.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Never found him funny at all.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never found him funny at all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I really like "Bicentennial Man".  Based on the Isaac Asimov short story about a robot searching for his humanity.  Really explores what it means to be "human".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both movies were awesome. His acting really surprised me. I thought his stand-up was piss your pants funny and he was often had enough cocaine in his system to kill a small horse when he was doing stand-up. His energy was off the charts during those acts.

Here is one of my favorite skits him explaining golf.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#12]
His early comedy stuff was genius..although I never liked the Mork and Mindy stuff. His acting showed a huge range, especially when he was cast against type such as in Insomnia. He was also constant supporter of service members and did numerous USO type tours.

RIP Robin Williams
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]
When he was on top of his game he was a hysterically funny guy and a pretty good dramatic actor as well.  Really enjoyed many of his films but his mainstream stuff got repetitive.

Last films of his that I saw were One Hour Photo and at some point I saw Death to Smoochy.  Enjoyed them.

RIP Mr Williams.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Always thought this was funny.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Don't speak Ill of the dead
Especially when they are more talented than anything you have ever or could ever achieve.

Someone IM me when the pit thread starts. Then I can be open and honest and say what I think about the OP.
View Quote
Whatever.  That's one of the stupid sayings I've ever heard.  

We will now change this thread to, "Name 10 good things Hitler did".

By all means, take me to the pit.  Don't be scared

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No. But he's actually a pretty good actor when he's not trying to be funny.
View Quote

This.  He did some excellent work, but it wasn't when he was trying to be funny.  The funny stuff simply never resonated with me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.  His stand up was maniacally funny.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#19]
from some of the news reports he was battling severe depression, which would lead one to think he took his own life. it's very unfortunate that with all of the medical advances that have been made depression is still very difficult to deal with. I don't know anything about his political outlook or overall philosophy, but the guy made me laugh more than once.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Sad that he is gone. He was very funny. His stand up was very funny.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Awesome time for this thread.
View Quote
douches will douche....

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm watching him do standup right now and I've LOLed a few times.

RIP Mork
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#23]
No...not since I was a kid watching mork and mindy.  That over the top stuff doesn't do it for me.

But I really liked his serious stuff.  He was fantastic in Good Will Hunting....and generally seemed like a good guy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Edit...shit, I'm late.

And so is he.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought he was, then I saw One Hour Photo and it took years of trying to erase that from my memory and watching Good Morning, Vietnam about 50 times for him not to think he is stalking me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#27]
No.  His manic, coke-fueled antics were his only trick and I got tired of it a long time ago.  I think "the magic" wore off for me by the time Jonathan Winters joined the Mork and Mindy cast.  I was 9 years old and already bored with it.

Not just being "edgy" now that he's dead.  It's sad when someone gets so low that suicide seems like their only option.  Then again, it's more graceful than having to do reverse mortgage commercials and / or celebrity boxing.  For the record, and future reference, I think Jim Carey, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, and Chevy Chase all have very narrow comedic ranges and are played out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn, beat by mere minutes

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Funny and talented.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Most of the time he wasn't side splitting hilarious, but he had his zingers.

Here's the kicker, it was nearly ALL improv.

Hardly any of it was a "routine".

Some of the "funniest" comedians I have seen suck live, because they just do the same routine over and over, mixing it up a little here and there.

Robin was just so versatile, and I'm old enough to remember Mork.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#31]
A leftist dick.  That took all the funny out of him for me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes.  

When he was here in Taft filming "The Best of Times" with Kurt Russell he was way funny.  I didn't think he knew how to turn the "funny" off.  

Everything was funny to him, everything. Kind of like 24 / 7 / 365 funny.  

I will miss him.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Live at the Met is a comedy classic!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#34]
He think he was a very good actor and I enjoyed his comedy routines, most of them. That being said I hope his soul traveles far and fast. RIP Mr. Williams!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Very  Funny

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Didnt like his scattershot style...seems like he kept talking until he said something funny....
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No. But he's actually a pretty good actor when he's not trying to be funny.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#38]
He was definitely funny.

But the schtick just wore thin after a while.  I think he would have been great cast in some comedies, but as the straight man.  Or at least not overtly silly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Like all the good dead comedians he was funnier on his fix.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I guy I worked with, his daughter is his neighbor in SF.
She told her dad he is NUTS.
Nice, but nuts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, I found his stuff funnier than most of the other stuff out there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Like all the good dead comedians he was funnier on his fix.
View Quote

That's part of it.  He was truly funny back in the day when he was on coke.  When he wasn't on coke he tried to make people laugh by acting like he was on cocaine.  Big difference.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Good morning Viet Nam....could make you laugh and cry at the same time. If you cannot laugh at Robin Williams, you have no humor. Super rich talent. We will miss you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes I did
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I always thought he was funny, I remember seeing him in Mork and Mindy when I was a kid...so I watched his whole career...

My BiL says he was just a regular guy in his hood too, used to just walk around his neighborhood in SF, get coffee at the local place, just a regular guy (yeah, in a super high end SF neighborhood, but always nice to everyone...)

RIP Robin....
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#46]
My younger brother wandered into Dangerfield's Comedy Club in NYC early in William's career late '70's and was seated with Robin's wife, Keith Richards and his date, said it was the funniest shit he ever saw, after his routine they said want to go to the VIP room, where the kicked my brother out of that deal...."who are you?"
LOL
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes

One thing he liked about San Francisco is that people left him alone as if he was just a regular guy.  He'd wait in line to buy something.  No one would approach him.  He take his kid (or kids) to McDonald's and no one would bug him.  He could be a regular person as people there respected his privacy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes

He was funny, and brilliant.  I liked his comedy, acting, and personality.  He seemed to be genuinely good person.  He was an absolute master at improvisation, one of the few comedians that could just make stuff up as he went and have you rolling.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This and this. RIP, Mr. Williams. The world is less funny without you.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top