Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/6/2014 11:27:55 AM EDT
had a bit of down time yesterday before a Dr apt. and saw that DCS had expanded compatibility with the Rift. I have the older DK1 but I have upgraded the screen to a 1080p unit so its on par with the new DK2. I have got to say that the p-51 in VR is wicked cool. it feels as if your flying. ya the ground looks a bit pixilated. but when your plowing it in to the ground at a high rate of speed your brain is like WTF OMG WE GONA DIE!

freely looking around, and seeing the sticks move to your stick movement is pretty neat. So if you have a rift give the game a try.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
it looks like this..

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.

Need an Oculus, or maybe get one of Valve's VR sets once they finally release them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried a Rift a few months ago and it was like looking through a screen window.

Good thing there's still trackir.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried a Rift a few months ago and it was like looking through a screen window.

View Quote

its more better at 1080p. its almost not noticeable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Wtf is going on
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wtf is going on
View Quote

Two screens, one for each eye, with the display offset in the game, along with really precise head-tracking so that it basically feels like you're in the game.

ETA : Post 762.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to try it one time and hope that I don't get motion sickness
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd like to try it one time and hope that I don't get motion sickness
View Quote

DK2 is G2G. DK1 will make you a bit woozie.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
it looks like this..

http://youtu.be/5hXwZOnCpas
View Quote

You know what's really cool??

If I hold my eyes close enough to my laptop screen, the interpupillary distance is about right for my eyes and I can see your video in 3d!

You guys should try it-move your head closer and closer until you see one image. It'll be blurry, but it's 3d....
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
it looks like this..

View Quote

Ahem...

iSuck.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Is oculus rift good for flying games? I play war thunder and it seems like it might be fun flying cockpit view and being able to look around instead of the static keyboard view approach.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just barely got my first trackir last week.

Unfortunately, my computer is a 6 year old laptop. I'm enjoying the two axes of movement on FS2002's non clickable cockpit, though. Flying under the St. Louis Arch in a T-38 then ripping the landing gear off on landing with a high sink rate has never been so fun.

Feeling brave, I dusted off the ol' Thrustmaster Cougar & rudder pedals, found Falcon 4, and installed BMS. "I'll start with low graphics settings, just in case. Ramp startup here we go..." My frame rate was a stately 0.25 FPS or so.

Time for a new computer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ahem...

iSuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it looks like this..

Ahem...

iSuck.

I'm sorry..
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If they ever get affordable and usable with something like MS Flight Sim of Falcon4 or whatever it's called now. I may have to dust off my HOTAS.
Flight & Racing Sims would be awesome in VR
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I was planning on waiting for the consumer version, but it's getting tough.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, my computer is a 6 year old laptop. I'm enjoying the two axes of movement on FS2002's non clickable cockpit, though. Flying under the St. Louis Arch in a T-38 then ripping the landing gear off on landing with a high sink rate has never been so fun.

Feeling brave, I dusted off the ol' Thrustmaster Cougar & rudder pedals, found Falcon 4, and installed BMS. "I'll start with low graphics settings, just in case. Ramp startup here we go..." My frame rate was a stately 0.25 FPS or so.

Time for a new computer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time for a new computer.

That's what I use my trackir for mostly, Falcon BMS. Really a good game. Going through the whole F-16 startup checklist just before a deep strike mission has never been so fun.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

only a few months more.. you can do it.. i did!
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope your optimism holds true.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

supost to be late first/second quarter next year.. just waiting on the screen tech to catch up for 1440 rez. I took my DK1 that i got last year and upgraded it to 1080 as a good hold over till the CV1 comes out.. I have the STEM controllers showing up in october so ill be good with the positional head tracking then.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Facebook will ruin it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

supost to be late first/second quarter next year.. just waiting on the screen tech to catch up for 1440 rez. I took my DK1 that i got last year and upgraded it to 1080 as a good hold over till the CV1 comes out.. I have the STEM controllers showing up in october so ill be good with the positional head tracking then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4K would be sweet also.

When you say upgraded, do you mean you sold the DK1 to help fund the DK2, or just that you bought the DK2?

'Cause if you still have the DK1...
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#22]
OR Dk2 is using a Samsung Note 3 Panel exactly, 1080p AMOLED but overclocked at 75hz with Lightboost style motion reduction.

I'm betting that the Consumer version in 1H 2015 will be a 1440P Samsung AMOLED. PURRRRFECT

edit: My gaming PC runs 1440P at 90hz capped very well (AMD 290 crossfired), so I'll be enjoying Consumer Rift to it's max!

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Now try it with Mirrors Edge

3:15 "OH, MERCIFUL JESUS!"

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

4K would be sweet also.

When you say upgraded, do you mean you sold the DK1 to help fund the DK2, or just that you bought the DK2?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4K would be sweet also.

DK1 riftup

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=18316&sid=f6d9d5118239303051e7a938c324bf8f&start=1120
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#25]
you are right,with the display offset in the game, along with really precise head-tracking so that it basically feels like you're in the game. thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Same here but did some reading and are going to wait for the consumer version after all. The DK2 still has some issues.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#27]
My DK2 just showed up, and I don't have a computer powerful enough to drive anything at an interesting resolution.

dammit. the demos are fucking impressive though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Scheduled delivery for my rift in Monday

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Scheduled delivery for my rift in Monday
View Quote

I had to stack adapters to get HDMI out of my Surface and Steam crashes if you aren't in the beta and the shit is plugged in.

FYI.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll stick to trackir until that pixelated stuff and other things can be worked out. It's a neat idea and headed in the right direction but there are too many controls that are still on the keyboard. I'm assuming you can't see that. Even with a TM warthog there's not enough hotas to cover it all. I guess you could use the mouse but I still don't think it's ready, if you want to be competitive that is.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is oculus rift good for flying games? I play war thunder and it seems like it might be fun flying cockpit view and being able to look around instead of the static keyboard view approach.
View Quote

Not trying to bring ya down but war thunder is an arcade game. Too many kids and is terribly lacking in the realism department.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Playing Battlefield 3 with those would be pretty tits....
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If I hold my eyes close enough to my laptop screen, the interpupillary distance is about right for my eyes and I can see your video in 3d!

You guys should try it-move your head closer and closer until you see one image. It'll be blurry, but it's 3d....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it looks like this..

You know those older 3d "seeing eye" books, you can do that with the Rift videos
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Is there any comparability with a PS4 and a rift?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:28:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Question on this Rift wizardry...

Does it focus your eyes at distance, or do your eyes focus as if the screen is three inches from your face?

If at distance, how far away does your focus seem to be? Feet? Miles?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:37:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Question on this Rift wizardry...

Does it focus your eyes at distance, or do your eyes focus as if the screen is three inches from your face?

If at distance, how far away does your focus seem to be? Feet? Miles?
View Quote

I spent a lot of time dicking with mine to get it set up - wearing glasses makes it harder to use. I don’t feel focused - it’s kind of like using a video camera with an infinite DOF. You’re not focusing on the screen, for sure.

I can’t see sharing headsets casually, the calibration is pretty fine and you don’t have to be far off to get a lot of color fringing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Now try it with Mirrors Edge

3:15 "OH, MERCIFUL JESUS!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdZh03ju6U
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is there any comparability with a PS4 and a rift?
View Quote

Sony are releasing their own offering at some point.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:27:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Watch the revolver reload sequence.

iJunk
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Watch the revolver reload sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RehCTRrWM0

iJunk
View Quote

i saw that yesterday, cannot wait to get my STEM controlers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#41]
The Rift really makes me wish I had money instead of giving it all to 20 doctors since I think that shit would be money well spent in comparison.

I'd probably need to upgrade my video card first but I hope to do it someday, specifically for DCS as well. I also hope the Sabre goes on sale in the near future since that's the DCS module I really want the most right now and it looks so much better than a lot of the other third-party modules.

I imagine it would be amazing for the A-10 as well. Honestly, I just want EDGE to come out already since it's pretty shameful that a PC developer could make a game that doesn't support multiple cores in today's industry.

Maybe Rift will come out with a cheaper retail model by the time ED releases the F-18 module since that will consume my time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#42]
The retail model is supposed to be much cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The retail model is supposed to be much cheaper.
View Quote

The one benefit to the FB acquisition if there is such a thing. I just know it will require a new video card as well.

I'm curious to see how Sony's VR is as well.

Honestly, I want the F-18 above all else though. :D

Edit: There's a promo video of the Hawk module from VEAO that says it was taken in 2.0 with EDGE so do you guys think we're finally going to get it here soon since 2.0 is mentioned as one of the next patches? That would get me playing so much more again even without the Sabre.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm really looking forward to buzzing the Vegas strip.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm really looking forward to buzzing the Vegas strip.

View Quote

You guys are really tempting me to buy a new computer, because this sounds amazing. I still make myself laugh using the new-to-me technology of trackir and FS2002, flying a T-38 or 747 from Lambert Field under the Arch, doing a sloppy Immelmann, and finishing the hop in a visual approach back to the runway with complete disregard for any performance numbers & sink rate. Sometimes I come up short. Other times, I try to flare over 5000' of runway length. Once in a while, the planets align, and I'm able to hit the end of the runway with the nose pointed more or less in the right heading. That's important because directional control is impaired once the landing gear are sheared off.

My 7 year old even recognizes the overspeed "tick-tick-tick" from hearing it so much. He said, "landing gear up. Copilot, you fly. I'm going to sleep." Moments later, he announced to our pretend passengers: "PUT ON YOUR SEATBELTS! WE MIGHT CRASH, REPEAT: WE MIGHT CRASH!"
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Order ID: AL-0191***

Date: Jun 8, 2014 11:59 PM PDT

Status:PENDING:Your order is pending. Please see the reason(s) below.

Detail(s):
Your order is awaiting inventory before it can be fulfilled. We will notify you when it's about to be shipped.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Order ID: AL-0191***

Date: Jun 8, 2014 11:59 PM PDT

Status:PENDING:Your order is pending. Please see the reason(s) below.

Detail(s):
Your order is awaiting inventory before it can be fulfilled. We will notify you when it's about to be shipped.

http://i.imgur.com/AKoYhDS.gif
View Quote

I know the feeling, I just ordered an Anschutz rear sight for a project and the wait is killing me...

It's amazing how spoiled we've gotten regarding wait times on shipped goods!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

It won't be like that in final consumer model.   I think the final will be at 4k resolution.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I really look forward to getting an oculus.  For years, I wanted to build a sim racing cockpit with three large monitors and all.  But the rift will be better and probably cheaper than 3 monitors.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Soon we will all go sword art online and die horribly
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top