Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn... these things will get me into PC games again.

Is it compatible with legacy games or must be new games?

I still have the Origin's simulators (Wing Commander, Strike Commander, etc.), Microprose's and other flight simulators I kept just to one day play them again.  

Yes, I just delivered my age on a silver plate.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
for the DK2, very few games support them right now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I still have the Origin's simulators (Wing Commander, Strike Commander, etc.), Microprose's and other flight simulators I kept just to one day play them again.  

View Quote

It's not age; it's gravitas. Kids these days don't know the wonder of lining up a BMP on Gunship, when even those graphics and game play were edge-of-your-seat thrilling. Spectrum Holobyte's Falcon was jaw-dropping, and I campaigned very hard to make sure the next machine we got would have a math coprocessor to run Falcon 3.0. I even remember the hi-res graphics of subLOGIC's FS1 on the Apple II, flying with the keyboard. No numeric pad or arrow keys, thank you.

Those were heady days, indeed. "Heady days..." Red October was still a fresh read, and it was turning into a movie! 688 Attack Sub accounted for more than a few late game nights. My father would finish work at the office, and we'd run a 1v1 exercise against each other.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm waiting for the release version, mainly for Star Citizen. War Thunder could be fun as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks good!

Not sure about sticking your head out like that though...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:06:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's not age; it's gravitas. Kids these days don't know the wonder of lining up a BMP on Gunship, when even those graphics and game play were edge-of-your-seat thrilling. Spectrum Holobyte's Falcon was jaw-dropping, and I campaigned very hard to make sure the next machine we got would have a math coprocessor to run Falcon 3.0. I even remember the hi-res graphics of subLOGIC's FS1 on the Apple II, flying with the keyboard. No numeric pad or arrow keys, thank you.

Those were heady days, indeed. "Heady days..." Red October was still a fresh read, and it was turning into a movie! 688 Attack Sub accounted for more than a few late game nights. My father would finish work at the office, and we'd run a 1v1 exercise against each other.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh.... 688 Attack Sub...     Did you also play Das Boot?   It was awesome.

I remember Falcon 3.   When Microprose brought F117 and F15 Eagle I would spend hours on my PC.    However, my favorites were the Origin's games and their binary decision trees and AI that would make each time we played different than the other.   Remember Lucas Arts' Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe?

At that time I had a 386 with a math coprocessor and QEMM 386 to manage the memory.   DOS, not the crappy Windows.    Manually assigning IRQs and DMAs to avoid conflicts.   Yep, kids these days have it very easy.  

And time flies way too fast.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I just had a mini rage moment when you mentioned IRQs.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

remember the days of making a game card a sound card and a voodo card all work together! Oh and addn in a modem..
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

remember the days of making a game card a sound card and a voodo card all work together! Oh and addn in a modem..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a setup involving a Soundblaster for games and a separate Echo audio card for music recording/tracking. It worked sometimes, and other times I'd just disable the unused device.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I really wanna get one for Star Citizen. Dunno if i should get one now or hold off until they come out with better models.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really wanna get one for Star Citizen. Dunno if i should get one now or hold off until they come out with better models.
View Quote

Wait for the commercial release.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah 1440p seems like it would be ideal. I game on a 27" 1440p monitor now and I'm quite used to that resolution. The extra resolution is noticeable and instead of running 4x anti-aliasing in stuff now I only run 2x.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

If Facebook is smart they'll bring it to the market for the PS4 and XBox1. Sony has their own version in the works though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm all out of eye are queues!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I sure am looking forward to this, and the facebook info really had me bummed. I'm still holding out for the consumer version and relying on good ol PC modding communities to breathe some new life into some old games.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is arfcom get both.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I really look forward to getting an oculus.  For years, I wanted to build a sim racing cockpit with three large monitors and all.  But the rift will be better and probably cheaper than 3 monitors.
View Quote

that  would be great also.

i just wanna have free look in shooters

can't wait till it comes out i have been super tempted to get the DK2 but with release so close i think i can make it.

also +whatever to hoping Facebook doesn't fuck it up.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Fat, what are the hot Flight sims nowadays?  I have a mac but can run PC.  I come from the days of Janes F15.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
This is me waiting to deposit some undeclared cash into the bank when my Oculus order goes through.

But she'll probably check the account anyway, in which case...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Any rusty spoons in DCS? Are you making people's red water come out?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#22]
is this available for leisure suit larry?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Soon we will all go sword art online and die horribly
View Quote

Which makes me and all at the same time.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I know how the dog feels...

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Bought Windows 8 and, with the new 0.4.2 update, was able to play Team Fortress 2 in amazing 3d for an hour or so. Lot of fun. Aiming is totally different when you can look at something and set it on fire.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#26]
In a related note I just got this email tonight.

You're receiving this email because your Oculus Order #AL-******* is about to ship. Since the full balance has been paid, you should not see any additional charges.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be sure you have the latest display drivers and SDK. They tell you to install the new firmware before you use it. Also, you have to create a user profile in the config tool before it enables the advanced settings.

I also found, under windows, if you do desktop extension mode you need to set the orientation of the rift to landscape (inverted) for things to work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Be sure you have the latest display drivers and SDK. They tell you to install the new firmware before you use it. Also, you have to create a user profile in the config tool before it enables the advanced settings.

I also found, under windows, if you do desktop extension mode you need to set the orientation of the rift to landscape (inverted) for things to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found a nice video on YouTube on getting the DK2 setup but I haven't seen where to download the SDK.

ETA: Also do they ship it standard, priority, what?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Wonder if this will work with Falcon 4......
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a pretty old game isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I found a nice video on YouTube on getting the DK2 setup but I haven't seen where to download the SDK.

View Quote

Create an account here then go here and get the three files for your OS. You don't actually need the Tuscany demo, if you want to save space, but it's pretty cool to show people.

You should get an email in a day or two with a UPS tracking number. They sent it ground from Ontario, California, and it only took two days to get to me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:54:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Create an account here then go here and get the three files for your OS. You don't actually need the Tuscany demo, if you want to save space, but it's pretty cool to show people.

You should get an email in a day or two with a UPS tracking number. They sent it ground from Ontario, California, and it only took two days to get to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would never be seen again... Between building a replica F-16 cockpit and then actually playing it...
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I would never be seen again... Between building a replica F-16 cockpit and then actually playing it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, except for the pit.

Legendary sim covering my favorite aircraft with ongoing support!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is.  A group of great developers got a hold of the code years ago (complicated story) and have been improving it ever since.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

It is.  A group of great developers got a hold of the code years ago (complicated story) and have been improving it ever since.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's a gorgeous vid, but was i the only one thinking that a low speed, high alpha horizontal fight was exactly the wrong way to fight an f-16 against fulcrums?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Soon we will all go sword art online and die horribly
View Quote

I can think of worse ways than having your brain microwaved.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cant run program...need more himem....or was it extended...or expanded memory....AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5o3EUkKV9Y

so....how do you get this game?>

that's a gorgeous vid, but was i the only one thinking that a low speed, high alpha horizontal fight was exactly the wrong way to fight an f-16 against fulcrums?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5o3EUkKV9Y

so....how do you get this game?>

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Facebook will ruin it.
View Quote
Playing a game and ads start popping up

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

If Facebook is smart they'll bring it to the market for the PS4 and XBox1. Sony has their own version in the works though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not capable of using the rift.  They dont have anything close to the power required.  Lots of games can't even do 1080p.  This would be two 4k images at once.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#42]
So heartwarming to see a bunch of you eagerly waiting for Star Citizen.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You know what's really cool??

If I hold my eyes close enough to my laptop screen, the interpupillary distance is about right for my eyes and I can see your video in 3d!

You guys should try it-move your head closer and closer until you see one image. It'll be blurry, but it's 3d....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it looks like this..

http://youtu.be/5hXwZOnCpas

You know what's really cool??

If I hold my eyes close enough to my laptop screen, the interpupillary distance is about right for my eyes and I can see your video in 3d!

You guys should try it-move your head closer and closer until you see one image. It'll be blurry, but it's 3d....

Holy smokes! THATS AWESOME,
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#44]
There are cheap alternatives to crossing your eyes.

You can find pre-manufactured Google Cardboard, or make your own for a few dollars. These function just like the Oculus Rift and you can watch these videos in stereoscopic 3D or play games.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

cant run program...need more himem....or was it extended...or expanded memory....AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap, I'm having flashbacks....
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Can KSP be made to work with the Rift?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Can KSP be made to work with the Rift?
View Quote
You have to ad a couple rockets to it to make it work.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Now try it with Mirrors Edge

3:15 "OH, MERCIFUL JESUS!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdZh03ju6U
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So heartwarming to see a bunch of you eagerly waiting for Star Citizen.
View Quote

There's a thread for that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now try it with Mirrors Edge

3:15 "OH, MERCIFUL JESUS!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdZh03ju6U

That whole review made me chuckle. I know the exact stomach/nether region uncomfortable feeling he was describing about  facing heights.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top