Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Good lord the wadded panties.  I applaud you for taking a stand Beekeeper.  People have to start pushing back against these policies if they are ever going to be reversed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have pumped a lot of blood into people too and guess what Doc, I won't donate anymore either.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I *highly* recommend that you call them and speak with someone in charge. This may have simply been a knee-jerk reaction from some desk clerk or something. There are several people here in Delaware that regularly donate while OCing and never get hassled for it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I donate as often as eligible, and have done over three gallons so far.  I've often participated in threads here encouraging others to do the same, cuz there's only one place to get this vital life saving commodity.  I was eligible again last Thursday, so I had time yesterday and went to do my part.

Big sign on the door of the Red Cross "NO GUNS ALLOWED" with the red slash circle around it.  It's not the legally required one, but it's unmistakeable.  I don't patronize businesses who forbid CCW.  I waited a long damned time (over 30 years) to get it in this state, and I'll be damned if I will donate my essence to a place that doesn't want my gun inside.

I'm A- so they REALLY like my extra-special rare blood.  They call me incessantly when I'm due to give, so now I can't wait to tell them to take me off their list--and why.  Idiots.
View Quote

Hope you're married.....

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol

Only on arfkom.

I bet your ass would be begging for some of that blood if you needed it.

View Quote

So rights are rights until you need something else, got it.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
It could even be that someone who works there has been threatened by an ex or estranged luuuverrr or something and the sign is their lame attempt at "protecting" said person.

Call them. May well be that they welcome you carrying.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Where I donate blood, the collection bus is parked outside the local high school, you register inside the high school.

It bothers me that I have to disarm and leave the pistol in the truck, but donating blood is important to me, and I figure who the hell would try to hold up or threaten a blood donation bus.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know--it's honestly eating me up, hence this thread to commiserate.  I know what the donations means to you and anyone else who needs it.  

True story--I have a dear client who has bad sickle cell anemia and happens to be a universal recipient.  She MUST have a one unit transfusion every month to stay alive.  Most times when I donate I call and tell her to hustle in and get it while it's still warm.  She's a sweet lady and always gets a laugh from the call.  She was dealt a sucky hand health wise and has little joy in life, so I try to cheer her when I can.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As someone who has received a blood transfusion... thank  you. I also recommend you just donate and carry anyway.

I had no choice in where my blood came from, and I had no choice in their gun policies... why should I have been made to suffer for the Red Cross's stupid policy?

Make the Red Cross suffer by going in, and carrying anyway, and donating blood.

I know--it's honestly eating me up, hence this thread to commiserate.  I know what the donations means to you and anyone else who needs it.  

True story--I have a dear client who has bad sickle cell anemia and happens to be a universal recipient.  She MUST have a one unit transfusion every month to stay alive.  Most times when I donate I call and tell her to hustle in and get it while it's still warm.  She's a sweet lady and always gets a laugh from the call.  She was dealt a sucky hand health wise and has little joy in life, so I try to cheer her when I can.  

Any way you can set up a "direct deposit" with her?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:59:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried to give after they relaxed their ban on beef eaters, and was denied due to my age.  Officially there is no age limit, but that didn't stop them from denying me then threatening to call the police when I questioned their policy.z
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where I donate blood, the collection bus is parked outside the local high school, you register inside the high school.

It bothers me that I have to disarm and leave the pistol in the truck, but donating blood is important to me, and I figure who the hell would try to hold up or threaten a blood donation bus.
View Quote

Vampires, duh.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Obviously, you need to start open carrying an AR or SKS into the Red Cross buildings. It's the only way to win their hearts and minds.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Vampires.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Vampire Conspiracy
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Good lord the wadded panties.  I applaud you for taking a stand Beekeeper.  People have to start pushing back against these policies if they are ever going to be reversed.
View Quote
This.  Exactly.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Can you OC next time and ask them if they want the blood or not?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I applaud you for taking a stand Beekeeper.  People have to start pushing back against these policies if they are ever going to be reversed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oh hell yes.  They are certainly not a charity.  If I won't BUY STUFF, and get something with banned CCW, I sure as hell won't DONATE my time and blood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the Red Cross a business?

Oh hell yes.  They are certainly not a charity.  If I won't BUY STUFF, and get something with banned CCW, I sure as hell won't DONATE my time and blood.

You need to write and tell the local Red Cross that plus let them know how much you have donated and what blood type. Tell them to take you off their call list.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I just donated a couple of Saturdays ago while carrying.   Concealed means concealed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Is the sign posted at their facility?  The Red Cross always sets up at a local church or Senior center in our (very rural) area, and I have never seen a sign like that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This right here is damned near sig-line material.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:I'll be damned if I will donate my essence to a place that doesn't want my gun inside.

FACT

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, I suppose a boycott is more level-headed than storming towards the door of the place with your CCW out, screaming "YOU WANT BLOOD, MOTHERFUCKERS? HUH?"
View Quote
LJFL

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

trust me. they are selling your blood to the highest bidder in other states and countries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

trust me. they are selling your blood to the highest bidder in other states and countries.

I'm O- and they used to harass me all the time after I got out of college. I have major issues with all of the "blood banks" who sell your blood and plasma to the highest bidder and all you get for it is a cookie and a glass of OJ. I refuse to "donate" my blood to fuckers that turn around and sell it. If they paid me, I'd do it, but since they don't.... screw it. You should at least be able to get a $100 tax deduction for every pint or something.... seriously.

-ZA

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck the Red Cross. I wouldn't do them the courtesy of shitting on their door step let alone donate anything to those dirty mother fuckers.

Everything I need to know about these crooked shit bags I learned from both my granddads and their experience with them in WWII.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm O- and they used to harass me all the time after I got out of college. I have major issues with all of the "blood banks" who sell your blood and plasma to the highest bidder and all you get for it is a cookie and a glass of OJ. I refuse to "donate" my blood to fuckers that turn around and sell it. If they paid me, I'd do it, but since they don't.... screw it. You should at least be able to get a $100 tax deduction for every pint or something.... seriously.

-ZA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-ZA

I'm O- as well, these fuckers have me on speed dial and I have actually blocked their number. The hospital I work at takes donations from time to time, I give when I'm there. A freaking tax deduction would be great.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to donate regularly, but they refused me after I came back from Iraq in 92 and I haven't been back since.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Just received my 15 gallon pin last month. I'm down state too BK, and there's an outfit called Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center that has travel vans.
Blood is priceless when needed and your's even more so.  Here's the locator phone number off of my card. 800.747.5401
Good luck.

et: clarification
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a 7 gallon pin and donate religiously as much as I can and I have been doing it since high school.

I ignore the signs and still do it.

Concealed means concealed and I never announce it, say it, brag it, or talk about it.

Do whatever you are pleased with but in the end, it is life saving and precious blood and very very FEW people can donate.

In one hand, that is the number of friends and family I know that donate while the rest just make angry excuses that can fill pages of a book.

Not judging you, but if I were to listen to every story that is negative, every news that is awful, and listened to every person or followed every sign on a wall, I would be some kind of mountain man by now.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm AB- they call me every 8 days to donate platelets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm VERY afraid of needles getting put in me to the point where I can get so anxious I puke(sometimes). But now I can just say I don't donate because they don't allow conceal carry
View Quote
Simply put, there's no reason to be. I inject myself with testosterone every week. It's no big deal.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Call them and have them meet you in the parking lot to draw blood.

They'll ask why, then explain the no guns policy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I used to donate regularly, but they refused me after I came back from Iraq in 92 and I haven't been back since.

View Quote

If they are screening potential donors correctly there are actually quite a few people, especially mil and diplomatic types and their dependents, who shouldn't donate blood.  Same with some people who do the tourist thing and go on a lot of vacations.  Some of us have been places and potentially exposed to things we really do not want in our blood supply, and since there is no current test to screen the blood for some of those things, they just prohibit donations.  It sucks not being able to donate, but I'm OK with it if it helps keep a clean blood supply.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If they are screening potential donors correctly there are actually quite a few people, especially mil and diplomatic types and their dependents, who shouldn't donate blood.  Same with some people who do the tourist thing and go on a lot of vacations.  Some of us have been places and potentially exposed to things we really do not want in our blood supply, and since there is no current test to screen the blood for some of those things, they just prohibit donations.  It sucks not being able to donate, but I'm OK with it if it helps keep a clean blood supply.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I get why, and I'm not upset about their reasons why.

I'm upset I can't contribute, mainly.

My blood type isn't particularly rare, though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I'll be damned if I will donate my essence to a place that doesn't want my gun inside.

It's just full of euphemisms.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fuck the Red Cross. I wouldn't do them the courtesy of shitting on their door step let alone donate anything to those dirty mother fuckers.

Everything I need to know about these crooked shit bags I learned from both my granddads and their experience with them in WWII.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#39]

You're not hurting the Red Cross- your punishing the people who need your blood!

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, it's a mixed bag of reactions. Good for you for taking a principled stance. It's unfortunate that the effect of the stance is negligible to the company but fairly harsh on the needy people with no say in the matter, but I suppose you can't always back down just because of a little hurt.

It would be great if you could somehow find an alternative way to give blood, so that the impact is limited to just the company. It sounds like you've looked around though.

So, an uncomfortable "well done", if that makes sense. You're aware of the impact it has to deny them your essence, I'm sure it's not a decision that you've taken easily or happily.

Thank you for all the blood you've already given, on behalf of all the people that benefited from it!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My question is if you were i need would you accept blood from the red cross?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I haven't been able to donate for a while now (taking meds).
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm VERY afraid of needles getting put in me to the point where I can get so anxious I puke(sometimes). But now I can just say I don't donate because they don't allow conceal carry
View Quote

Me too. Someone has to drive me home when I get blood drawn. Just makes my insides hurt. But I have tattoos and they didn't bother me a bit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, not on purpose.  

I seem to have a "thing" where if I'm trying to make a funny no one thinks it's funny but me (I crack me up), but when I'm serious everyone laughs.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just full of euphemisms.  

Well, not on purpose.  

I seem to have a "thing" where if I'm trying to make a funny no one thinks it's funny but me (I crack me up), but when I'm serious everyone laughs.  

It's ok. I didn't mean it as a hit against you, and I fully appreciate and understand your issue.

FWIW, when I'm trying to be serious about some topics, I'm called all sorts of derogatory names and am belittled by about half of GD. You're right there with them, too.  I don't hold it against you though; life's too short to get up in arms about someone's opinion online.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My bad - should have been clearer with my post.  That wasn't directed at you specifically.  Your post was just an excellent place to throw that info out there for those that might be unaware.  I've met too many people who don't know there are times and locations that can affect their ability to donate blood.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#50]
At least without going.  You'll probably help kill more people then your carry gun ever will.  So........
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top