Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Every time they call tell them "I'll donate blood when you respect my right to bear arms. Until then, you can fuck off and die."

See how often they call back.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You sure there's only one place? Around here we've got VA Blood Services too, and I think in NOVA the Inova hospital system has their own blood donation centers, so it's not like the Red Cross has a monopoly on blood everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Good for you; actions have consequences - and that applies to businesses as well.

I am sure you will be able to find another organization that will be willing to take your blood and not make a political stance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the Red Cross a business?
View Quote

Sure are.  They make a lot of money off the blood they get for free. And they use some of it to teach first aid to our enemies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They have a monopoly, and nobody else is supplying enough to keep up with trauma.

The "no guns" policy is stupid and I don't pretend to know the specifics of blood banking economics.

I just know I've dumped an awful lot of blood into an awful lot of traumas, and karma is looking to bite me if I don't give some back. When you transfuse 40 units into a person, you tend to be pretty appreciative of the folks that donated and processed the stuff.

OP, if you feel so strongly about not giving blood due to the sign, that's your right. Please be so kind as to carry a properly witnessed card next to your driver's license that refuses blood transfusion, lest someone accidentally give you blood steeped in the anti-gunnery of the Red Cross.

There are lots of reasons not to donate. This one takes some impressive mental gymnastics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell yes.  They are certainly not a charity.  If I won't BUY STUFF, and get something with banned CCW, I sure as hell won't DONATE my time and blood.

trust me. they are selling your blood to the highest bidder in other states and countries.

They have a monopoly, and nobody else is supplying enough to keep up with trauma.

The "no guns" policy is stupid and I don't pretend to know the specifics of blood banking economics.

I just know I've dumped an awful lot of blood into an awful lot of traumas, and karma is looking to bite me if I don't give some back. When you transfuse 40 units into a person, you tend to be pretty appreciative of the folks that donated and processed the stuff.

OP, if you feel so strongly about not giving blood due to the sign, that's your right. Please be so kind as to carry a properly witnessed card next to your driver's license that refuses blood transfusion, lest someone accidentally give you blood steeped in the anti-gunnery of the Red Cross.

There are lots of reasons not to donate. This one takes some impressive mental gymnastics.

Misplaced blame is misplaced.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where I donate blood, the collection bus is parked outside the local high school, you register inside the high school.

It bothers me that I have to disarm and leave the pistol in the truck, but donating blood is important to me, and I figure who the hell would try to hold up or threaten a blood donation bus.
View Quote

Uhhhhh....what about  vamps?

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Could be worse.  I saw the title and thought perhaps you contracted some incurable disease.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I were you, I would ignore their fucking stupidity.  People need blood and you are doing your part to save lives.  Don't let the majority suffer for the stupidity of some ass clowns.  
View Quote

Fuck that.  One reason I home school my kids is because I don't want her in a gun free zone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I stopped donating when they no longer treated me like a donor and more like a criminal.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I will.  It will be in a day or two, as they are relentless.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next time they call you OP let us know how it goes down

I call them "vampires". They called the day after I donated once.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I used to donate regularly, but they refused me after I came back from Iraq in 92 and I haven't been back since.

View Quote

I'm in this boat.  I used to give (I am B-) but when I got back from Desert Storm and some of the other countries Uncle Sam has sent me too I am now banned from the blood supply.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lots of folks are like that.  You really do get used to it though.  So very few eligible people donate it's really a shame.  AFAIK people don't die from a lack of blood, but I know it's a constant struggle to maintain supplies.  Now they lost a reliable donor--over stupidity.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm VERY afraid of needles getting put in me to the point where I can get so anxious I puke(sometimes). But now I can just say I don't donate because they don't allow conceal carry

Lots of folks are like that.  You really do get used to it though.  So very few eligible people donate it's really a shame.  AFAIK people don't die from a lack of blood, but I know it's a constant struggle to maintain supplies.  Now they lost a reliable donor--over stupidity.  

People do die from a lack of blood.

A good friend of mine's wife had a hemorrhage during pregnancy and was rushed to the hospital.  She was bleeding out so fast they used up the hospital's blood supply very quickly.  It just so happened that on the day she was rushed to the ER, they were having a blood drive at their church.  As the blood was getting taken it was being run to the hospital by ambulance, 15 miles away and going right into her body.  She used 7 people's worth of blood before they got the bleeding stopped.  I now work at that hospital and the staff that were there that day said it was the worst case of hemorrhaging they had ever seen and the only thing that kept her alive was the blood donations from her church.  Once the word went out the entire town showed up to give blood.  Both her and the baby survived.  This was 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Concealed is concealed.   I am not advocating illegal actions but silly signs are meaningless.  The only gun sign I have seen is on a county building that stated that OPEN CARRY was prohibited.   I concealed carry.

Go donate.   Take your gun concealed and continue the fight.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A good friend of mine's wife had a hemorrhage during pregnancy and was rushed to the hospital.  She was bleeding out so fast they used up the hospital's blood supply very quickly.  It just so happened that on the day she was rushed to the ER, they were having a blood drive at their church.  As the blood was getting taken it was being run to the hospital by ambulance, 15 miles away and going right into her body.  She used 7 people's worth of blood before they got the bleeding stopped.  I now work at that hospital and the staff that were there that day said it was the worst case of hemorrhaging they had ever seen and the only thing that kept her alive was the blood donations from her church.  Once the word went out the entire town showed up to give blood.  Both her and the baby survived.  This was 25 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm VERY afraid of needles getting put in me to the point where I can get so anxious I puke(sometimes). But now I can just say I don't donate because they don't allow conceal carry

They do die, yup.

All the more reason you'd think the Red Cross would seek to eliminate barriers to donation rather than create them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#16]
or,
go and make the blood donation as usual w/ your CCW
and 'accidentally' make sure they see it when you are in there.

then they will have to decide whether your Type A 'essence' is more important than whether you can conceal carry
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where I donate blood, the collection bus is parked outside the local high school, you register inside the high school.

It bothers me that I have to disarm and leave the pistol in the truck, but donating blood is important to me, and I figure who the hell would try to hold up or threaten a blood donation bus.

http://editorial.sidereel.com/Images/Posts/True_Blood_vampires.jpg

I wouldn't mind making a personal donation to a few of them.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They always call me a day or two after I donate, but that just makes sense as things take a while to update.  No biggee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call them "vampires". They called the day after I donated once.

They always call me a day or two after I donate, but that just makes sense as things take a while to update.  No biggee.

It's fun to mess with them. I've always done doubles to take longer between donations.  Makes it harder to get the pins though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://queenanneboleyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/deborah-ann-woll-true-blood-cap-lb.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://queenanneboleyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/deborah-ann-woll-true-blood-cap-lb.jpg

This is where my donation would go:

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Last I heard, the CEO of the Red Cross makes over 600k a year and less than 35 cents of every dollar actually goes toward a charity. Take you blood elsewhere.
View Quote

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/24/pf/donations-charities/index.html

Maybe right on CEO pay but most info says 91% goes to services.....pretty good bt Charity Watch standards.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAW...  The only reason to watch such nonsense.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Just curious, who goes to the doctor's office CCW for their annual physical?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The blood system is bigger than the RC and there would be no way of knowing who collected and sold it into the system, so yes, of course.  At least up to 3+ gallons, so as to not offend Dr. Azygos.  

I have a tentative date to donate with another outfit, as offered above.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell yes.  They are certainly not a charity.  If I won't BUY STUFF, and get something with banned CCW, I sure as hell won't DONATE my time and blood.

My question is if you were i need would you accept blood from the red cross?

The blood system is bigger than the RC and there would be no way of knowing who collected and sold it into the system, so yes, of course.  At least up to 3+ gallons, so as to not offend Dr. Azygos.  

I have a tentative date to donate with another outfit, as offered above.  

Are you seriously so butthurt by my comment that you call me out by name, when I was just trying to give the perspective of someone at the other end of the blood system?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Simply put, there's no reason to be. I inject myself with testosterone every week. It's no big deal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simply put, there's no reason to be. I inject myself with testosterone every week. It's no big deal.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck actually getting off the list.  My wife has tried for over a year.  She's a nurse and participates at her hospital
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I didn't have my license last year, and haven't gone this year yet, but I wouldn't--just out of respect for the Doc and his staff.  I don't know if his office building is posted or not, but common sense must prevail.  

I do know he's strongly pro-gun (we've discussed it), but I don't want a pistol lying in plain view after I've disrobed for the event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't have my license last year, and haven't gone this year yet, but I wouldn't--just out of respect for the Doc and his staff.  I don't know if his office building is posted or not, but common sense must prevail.  

I do know he's strongly pro-gun (we've discussed it), but I don't want a pistol lying in plain view after I've disrobed for the event.

Mine bitched at me once for carrying plastic in leather.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

At one point I read its CEO made 657K a year. Sounds like a business to me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having some knowledge of blood banking practices, I'm... startled to hear such a story.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry at the doctor's office. Why wouldn't you carry at the doctor's office?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Be sure to write a few letters and inform people in the management levels of the issue. A lot of business owners arent really opposed to firearms, they just dont understand them and think by putting up the signs they are preventing crime and protecting people when its the opposite. if i choose to stop patronizing a business i always inform the manager, in hopes that maybe they will see the light and changes their ways.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Could be worse.  I saw the title and thought perhaps you contracted some incurable disease.

View Quote
I was thinking more along those lines myself.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#35]
There are other organizations that accept blood donations.  The Red Cross is a shitty group anyway.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where my donation would go:

http://series-parlotte.eu/ressources/images/TrueBlood/LesPersonnages/TrueBlood_LesPersonnages_NoraGainsborough.jpg

Oh course she is into fucking her 'brother', but hey, when you look like this, who cares?

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Probably no more than you were by demanding I carry a card explicitly refusing to accept blood when/if I need it.  It was a terribly crass and inappropriate comment for you to make, especially given my past donations.  Again--I'd like to tell you what to do with your opinion, but am not so "butthurt" as to lose my temper and violate the site's rules.  

Perhaps you can rail against the multitudes who are able, but have never donated, before you get pissy and impertinent with me.

ETA:  Had you stuck with just "giving your perspective" I would have thought nothing of it, and even agreed with you, but you made it personal and petty.  Perhaps reread your actual post and give it a moment's reflection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you seriously so butthurt by my comment that you call me out by name, when I was just trying to give the perspective of someone at the other end of the blood system?

Probably no more than you were by demanding I carry a card explicitly refusing to accept blood when/if I need it.  It was a terribly crass and inappropriate comment for you to make, especially given my past donations.  Again--I'd like to tell you what to do with your opinion, but am not so "butthurt" as to lose my temper and violate the site's rules.  

Perhaps you can rail against the multitudes who are able, but have never donated, before you get pissy and impertinent with me.

ETA:  Had you stuck with just "giving your perspective" I would have thought nothing of it, and even agreed with you, but you made it personal and petty.  Perhaps reread your actual post and give it a moment's reflection.

Well, then I apologize for hurting your feelings. It wasn't intended, and I had mistakenly assumed that you and others could take it in the tone it was intended. It was more personal, but arguably no less petty than ultimately penalizing downstream users who have no ability to contest nor even be aware of the RC's policies. It is disappointing that you would assume that I after so many years of congenial online discussions with you, would ever seriously suggest anything so ethically and medically wrong, and use it as anything other than a philosophical extension of your logical position.

I've already ranted about people who won't go to the trouble of donating any blood, let alone the large amounts you have. Thank you for your donation.

I made one personal observation to illustrate the example, which was well within the COC in pointing out the logical fallacy of someone accepting a product from the same company they no longer support. I'm terribly sorry it seemed so personal, but giving blood is personal to me.  Just as yours are to you, my beliefs on the risk/benefit of blood donation are also strong. I believe your escalating reaction is well out of proportion to the level of nonexistent personal injury caused by my comments. Had you bothered to read further, you would have seen that I also stated that we give blood to people without respect to their current or prior donation status. My priority is to keep a John Doe alive, whether a donor or not, presumed bad guy or not.

TL;DR. Sorry to hurt your feelings. It wasn't personally intended. You have your opinion, and I have mine. We differ, but that doesn't mean I am any less entitled to mine than yours.

Also, is this a nationwide policy, or just some local antigun RC office?

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm no fan of the RC.  At the local military hospital we have our own blood bank. But if we need additional units we can buy them locally from the RC.......  At $230 per unit!!!!!

Cocksuckers will let a person die rather than do the right thing.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#39]
The RC doesn't want my blood anyway.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Never been a Red Cross fan. For the amount of money they take it.. precious little actually makes it to helping people.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never been a Red Cross fan. For the amount of money they take it.. precious little actually makes it to helping people.
View Quote

I stopped giving a fuck about the Red Cross when they took in a metric shitton of money immediately after 9/11 and then did fuck-all good with it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am also afraid of needles.  I have donated 3 times though!  It takes me a very long time to get psyched up enough to go in and do it.  Like, weeks.  Seriously.  I'll get to the point where I am in the parking lot and almost faint thinking about it, and have to go home and 'start over'.  But, occasionally the stars align and I get over it, march in and donate!  I feel pretty damn awesome every time I pull it off!

A shame though about the no guns.  I'll have to check my place and see if that is a new policy, or just something that each place decides.

And, like others have said, the blood is very important, might have to be a Concealed means Concealed, or speak with the management deal.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm no fan of the RC.  At the local military hospital we have our own blood bank. But if we need additional units we can buy them locally from the RC.......  At $230 per unit!!!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I suspect we have some people on this site who do healthcare finance. I honestly don't know this information, and perhaps some of our membership can give insight:

1: What is the actual cost involved in processing a unit of whole blood into packed red cells? Ideally, I'd like to see the cost breakdown including collection, testing, incorporated cost for units that fail testing, storage, and transportation to the hospital. If possible, minus costs assignable to plasma and platelets.

2: How is that cost covered between financial donation and costs passed along to hospitals?

3: What additional hospital charges are baked into the eventual charge to be patient?

ETA:
4: Who should pay the costs, and in what proportions? It's not an easy answer, particularly in the weeds of needing transfusion as a result of another person's actions.

5: What level of compensation may be appropriate to entice people to give blood, and at what point is it a donation vs a sale (not necessarily unethical)?

6: How does this affect our view of organ donation & sale, and what degree of free market should be allowed? Is it morally and ethically required to afford an opportunity for blood and organ recipients to receive these items outside their raw economic ability to buy them?

I did some literature review. $230 is $30 above actual average acquisition cost of a unit of blood.

It is estimated that a single unit of packed red blood cells (PRBC's), with an acquisition cost of two hundred U.S. dollars ($200.00) has an actual cost of between one thousand six hundred ($1,600.00) and two thousand four hundred dollars ($2,400.00) to transfuse it to the patient 9 . This actual cost includes all of the direct and variable personnel costs (Figures 1 and 2) along with the increased costs to any one patient's hospital stay as a result of a transfusion-associated morbidity (Figure 3). The acquisition cost for a unit of aphaeresed platelets is above five hundred U.S. dollars ($500.00 Table 2).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17377098/
http://ispub.com/IJEICM/9/2/4759

(Can't hotlink from mobile)

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View Quote

I do, but since I OC 95% of the time my pistol is OC and not CC.I do it with his blessing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I donate as often as eligible, and have done over three gallons so far.  I've often participated in threads here encouraging others to do the same, cuz there's only one place to get this vital life saving commodity.  I was eligible again last Thursday, so I had time yesterday and went to do my part.

Big sign on the door of the Red Cross "NO GUNS ALLOWED" with the red slash circle around it.  It's not the legally required one, but it's unmistakeable.  I don't patronize businesses who forbid CCW.  I waited a long damned time (over 30 years) to get it in this state, and I'll be damned if I will donate my essence to a place that doesn't want my gun inside.

I'm A- so they REALLY like my extra-special rare blood.  They call me incessantly when I'm due to give, so now I can't wait to tell them to take me off their list--and why.  Idiots.
View Quote

Kudos, sir.

Kudos.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I usually donate in one of their buses, no sign on those.  Other than that they are usually at a hospital which is a no CC zone here in Texas by state law.  

And for those that don't like needles you get used to it, shit I had surgery last week and the doc had to drain some fluid off my chest today.  18g needle in the pec and pulled about 40-50 mL with a syringe.  I held the needle in while he unscrewed and reattached  the 10mL syringe to the needle each time.  That was fun.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:trust me. they are selling your blood to the highest bidder in other states and countries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:trust me. they are selling your blood to the highest bidder in other states and countries.

This.  If you want a peek into the people profiting off of brokering donated blood, start reading:

http://www.bloodbook.com/part-1.html

...What began as a generous "gift of life" from people in Appleton to their neighbors ended up as part of a chain of blood brokered to hospitals in Manhattan, where patients were charged $120 a pint. Along that 2,777-mile route, human blood became just another commodity.

The buying and selling of blood has become big business in America - a multibillion-dollar industry that is largely unregulated by the government.

Each year, unknown to the people who give the blood, blood banks buy and sell more than a million pints from one another, shifting blood all over the country and generating an estimated $50 million in revenues.

It is not uncommon for some blood banks to broker between 20 percent and 40 percent of what they collect. In Appleton, nearly half the blood collected from donors in the last two years was sold outside the area. In Waterloo, Iowa, the American Red Cross sold six of every 10 pints collected last year to other blood banks.

They do it, blood bank officials say, to share a limited resource. Although they have a monopoly, blood banks in dozens of cities - Philadelphia among them - are unable to collect as much blood as they need. To cover their shortfalls, they buy blood from centers, such as Appleton, that collect more than they need.

Nobody disputes the value of sharing blood. But in the last 15 years, this trading in blood has become a huge, virtually unregulated market - with no ceiling on prices, with nonprofit blood banks vying with one another for control of the blood supply, with decisions often driven by profits and corporate politics, not medical concerns. ...

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I used to donate, but they asked me to stop and just be available for Blood emergencies.  Mine is the second rarest blood type, B-, 1.5% of the peeps have it, but I think next time they call asking, I might mention the policy.  But, I am going to have to go down to the local office and see if they have a sign.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.  If you want a peek into the people profiting off of brokering donated blood, start reading:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

...What began as a generous "gift of life" from people in Appleton to their neighbors ended up as part of a chain of blood brokered to hospitals in Manhattan, where patients were charged $120 a pint. Along that 2,777-mile route, human blood became just another commodity.

The buying and selling of blood has become big business in America - a multibillion-dollar industry that is largely unregulated by the government.

Each year, unknown to the people who give the blood, blood banks buy and sell more than a million pints from one another, shifting blood all over the country and generating an estimated $50 million in revenues.

It is not uncommon for some blood banks to broker between 20 percent and 40 percent of what they collect. In Appleton, nearly half the blood collected from donors in the last two years was sold outside the area. In Waterloo, Iowa, the American Red Cross sold six of every 10 pints collected last year to other blood banks.

They do it, blood bank officials say, to share a limited resource. Although they have a monopoly, blood banks in dozens of cities - Philadelphia among them - are unable to collect as much blood as they need. To cover their shortfalls, they buy blood from centers, such as Appleton, that collect more than they need.

Nobody disputes the value of sharing blood. But in the last 15 years, this trading in blood has become a huge, virtually unregulated market - with no ceiling on prices, with nonprofit blood banks vying with one another for control of the blood supply, with decisions often driven by profits and corporate politics, not medical concerns. ...

The only dramatic differences I see between a nonprofit organization and a for-profit are the label given to extra money in the bank account at the end of the year and the amount of bloat on the organizational heirarchy.

There's a huge artificial bottleneck in the various middlemen that disconnects supply and demand. That's how one really controls a commodity. Not by controlling supply or demand, but by controlling the flow. Those at both ends of the chain end up serving the middle.

It's a broken system that is not well protected against abuse and politicising, as TBK1's experience has shown. It should be apolitical, but they are leveraging their position to make a statement and maintain a monopoly. What they do is not all bad, nor entirely pure in motive.

And lest my comments be misconstrued, nothing is meant to denigrate the generosity of TBK1's donations nor anyone else's. I'm at the other end of the crack the whip game, and have simultaneous great appreciation for people such as him that have donated and disgust for the political and allocation games of the middleman. I disagree with the mode of expressing protest because it has relatively little effect on the RC, but I respect the desire to not support an organization with wrongheaded policies.

If it were a free market, a consumer boycott would be effective. In this case, it is a supplier boycott of an organization that already controls flow. They can pass any potential problems of a supplier shortage on to the consumer with their allocation and charges. They don't suffer. It's the person bleeding that ends up holding the empty bag.

Use up most of a metro area's blood supply in resuscitating a few car accident victims and one or two shoot out participants. The Red Cross says, "sorry, that's all we have allocated for the area." A young mother hemorrhage a during labor, yet all the blood for miles around has already been used up. "Sorry, no more yet," says the Red Cross.

Young mother dies because there isn't any more blood. The surgeons and I have to see her family and tell them. Then we go home and look at our own families and realize that it could have been our wife or kids who bled to death. People upstream aren't harmed. People downstream are harmed. The middle man continues to control supply but now has a great news story to use in their next as campaign.

So yes, it is a little personal to me. Because I am one of the people who deals with the fallout of real or manufactured blood shortages. And sometimes it wears on me. I've seen an awful lot of people bleed to death, and I've seen quite a few saved. I've also spent many hours lying awake in bed staring at the ceiling playing the dangerous "what if there were just one more trauma" game. I again publicly apologize if I unintentionally slighted TBK1 or any other donors in my inarticulate attempt to point out the ability of an organization to sidestep and transfer any impact from a donation boycott.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top