Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By group8:  I've been using this for the past year with good results as recently as a week or two ago.  For the past few days it is not working.  Will it be working again soon?
View Quote

That's up to SWIRE.  What ammo have you been using it for?  Might get similar results from using WalMart's website.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

That's up to SWIRE.  What ammo have you been using it for?  Might get similar results from using WalMart's website.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By group8:  I've been using this for the past year with good results as recently as a week or two ago.  For the past few days it is not working.  Will it be working again soon?

.223, .45acp, .380, various 12 gauge, 22, 38, 357....

It was right about 70-80% of the time at my local store.  I could check stock, go to the store and buy some, and later that day see something about the stock being limited or no longer listed because I bought the few boxes they had.

Sometimes it was wrong, but usually it was correct.  I can live without it, but it was nice.

Walmart's site never shows me what is in stock in my local store.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I just tried it around 5:30 EDT today and it appears it is working again.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, thanks..
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
All the App has ever done for me is tell me when the local Wal-Mart clerks are lying!

It never shows up on the shelf when the app says it is in stock!

I have not been able to buy a single round using the app!
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BigHunt:  All the App has ever done for me is tell me when the local Wal-Mart clerks are lying!

It never shows up on the shelf when the app says it is in stock!

I have not been able to buy a single round using the app!
View Quote

There have been plenty of us who have had success by asking managers, particularly when the Sporting Goods desk is closed & the clerk is out.  Keep in mind the app shows when it's on the truck, not necessarily when it gets to the shelf.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By group8:

I just tried it around 5:30 EDT today and it appears it is working again.  Thanks!

View Quote

You can thank backbencher for getting a message to me.  I had taken a vacation from this site since about April and hadn't looked at the app either.  My hosting company moved my database to a different server and I needed to update the reference.

I haven't updated the UPC list since April as well.  If anyone has seen something show up in the store that didn't show up in the app send me the UPC code.  I'll double check and make sure it is in the system.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:17:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BullpupFan] [#8]
Thanks Swire!  I'm getting runtime errors currently - is it just me?  ETA: Stupid user error.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
How many people are still using this site?  I will use it to check prices.  You can find stores that will sell certain boxes of ammo much cheaper than other stores.  For example the Remington jacketed hollowpoints in .45ACP are about $15 cheaper per 100 in one store in Louisville compared to almost every other store in Kentucky.  I have no idea why but it has been that way for years.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I've reduced how much Ammo I'm buying as of late, because I'm trying to save for a house. But I love your site and continue to use it time to time recently. When I was buying often, I used it everyday.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I still use it on occasion. I just wish we didn't need an app to find ammo.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sgtmack122:
I still use it on occasion. I just wish we didn't need an app to find ammo.
View Quote

Qft
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Is it working for .22lr again yet?
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Is it working for .22lr again yet?
View Quote

Not working for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe Walmart hid the status of .22lr.  I would have to go through their data to see if I could pull it out.  I haven't updated the UPC codes in over a year.  So I'm guessing there is ammo on the shelves that doesn't show up with my search.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:
I believe Walmart hid the status of .22lr.  I would have to go through their data to see if I could pull it out.  I haven't updated the UPC codes in over a year.  So I'm guessing there is ammo on the shelves that doesn't show up with my search.  
View Quote

After several store managers were called due to your app showing ammo in inventory and the sporting goods cretins denying it, I can imagine Wal-mart put out some feelers to figure how to avoid the ruckus.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#18]
SWIRE's app depends on WalMart posting inventory #s on their website.  WalMart pulled .22", & some other ammo from reporting on their website.  So app is of limited utility now.

ETA:  Still working for .25 & .32" ACP.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Giltweasel:
After several store managers were called due to your app showing ammo in inventory and the sporting goods cretins denying it, I can imagine Wal-mart put out some feelers to figure how to avoid the ruckus.
View All Quotes

My app actually shows how terrible Walmart's inventory system and managers are.  Back in the SS109 panic times there was one store that it in stock for 4 weeks.  I finally go to the store and the sporting goods employees tell me they have none, haven't had any for a long time, and it isn't in the back.  I went to customer service with the UPC code.  She looked it up and said they showed 50 boxes on hand.  She had the sporting goods department look for it and they couldn't find it.  Then she called the manager and he looked into it.

The manager finally figured out that they did show they had 50 boxes on hand but they had not sold any in 6 weeks.  Remember this was during the panic when stock was selling out daily.  Walmart's inventory system never flagged the item for lack of sales, the employees never reported it, and no inventory check was ever done.  Since the system showed 50 on hand it never ordered more. The store never could figure out if an employee walked off with the 50 boxes or if it never made it to the store.   You would think Walmart would have their act together better than that.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:59:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#21]

My app actually shows how terrible Walmart's inventory system and managers are.  Back in the SS109 panic times there was one store that it in stock for 4 weeks.  I finally go to the store and the sporting goods employees tell me they have none, haven't had any for a long time, and it isn't in the back.  I went to customer service with the UPC code.  She looked it up and said they showed 50 boxes on hand.  She had the sporting goods department look for it and they couldn't find it.  Then she called the manager and he looked into it.

The manager finally figured out that they did show they had 50 boxes on hand but they had not sold any in 6 weeks.  Remember this was during the panic when stock was selling out daily.  Walmart's inventory system never flagged the item for lack of sales, the employees never reported it, and no inventory check was ever done.  Since the system showed 50 on hand it never ordered more. The store never could figure out if an employee walked off with the 50 boxes or if it never made it to the store.   You would think Walmart would have their act together better than that.
View All Quotes

I've called 3 managers of 3 stores 5 separate times. Only one of those managers on one occasion failed to find the ammo that the SG department claimed was either still on the truck or already sold. Every instance was in reference to .22 bulk packs of one sort or another.

ETA: This is to say, in my experience your app was only wrong one time out of 5. And that's if the one manager wasn't in cahoots with the guy in SG.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone still using the app?  I haven't even checked to see if it is still running for a couple months now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone still using the app?  I haven't even checked to see if it is still running for a couple months now.
View Quote

I haven't used it since they dropped everything I was waiting for. Thanks again for doing this though!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I haven't checked it in quite a while, but with the elections right around the corner it might come in handy.  You been doing OK SWIRE?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By dlshady:

I haven't checked it in quite a while, but with the elections right around the corner it might come in handy.  You been doing OK SWIRE?
View Quote

I'm doing well, just very busy and stressed.  My job situation changed, I went from one long term client to a bunch of tiny clients doing things I haven't done before and with project plans that were way under estimated.  Plus a bought a second property to fix up but it has some major problems both expected and unexpected.  Both situations have me scrambling and learning new things.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#26]

I'm doing well, just very busy and stressed.  My job situation changed, I went from one long term client to a bunch of tiny clients doing things I haven't done before and with project plans that were way under estimated.  Plus a bought a second property to fix up but it has some major problems both expected and unexpected.  Both situations have me scrambling and learning new things.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By dlshady:

Good to hear. Thank you again for all the work on the app while it lasted!

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I still use it infrequently but I'm glad it's there!
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Willmar:

View Quote

I don't have any plans to take it down.  I think the UPCs are out of date and there is probably a lot of missing ammo now.  I just don't have the time to maintain it.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#29]

I don't have any plans to take it down.  I think the UPCs are out of date and there is probably a lot of missing ammo now.  I just don't have the time to maintain it.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Willmar:

Doesn't work for .22lr anymore, at least none that I would buy. That's what my primary use for the app was.  I'll still check on 9mm on occasion though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Bump for any deals that may be out there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#31]
There is supposedly a ZQI 7.62 deal right now.  My app should be picking up the stores that have it discounted.  I haven't updated the barcodes in awhile though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#32]
runtime error...
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NoVaGator:
runtime error...
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MNGearhead:

Same
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#35]
OST

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry about the necropost but is this gone?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
Sorry about the necropost but is this gone?
View Quote
I still have the code but I took the site down.  Microsoft decided to play games with their "free" hosting service and started charging me $60 a month for an empty website slot that I had tried to setup.

Is the ammo app needed again?  Some of the code and UPCs will probably be out of date but I can bring it back if it is needed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got a couple of websites from GoDaddy I could host it on that I already pay for.  IM me if you need the space.

If I recall, Walmart had taken down a lot of their UPCs from public view on ammo, particularly in .22 LR, limiting the usefulness even before you took it down.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the offer backbencher.  The reason I started hosting it in Azure was Walmart started blocking my IPs due to hitting their website too much.  I have a GoDaddy account as well but didn't want to risk it getting blocked as well.

The way things are going I might need to bring this app back online.  I hope it doesn't come to that though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Is this app still up?...
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't think so.  You can search WalMart's site directly for some ammo.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
If this is the one I used post-Sandy Hook, it was great.  When I had the chance to get to Walmart early I had great intel on what to see roll out in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
Is this app still up?...
View Quote
It is down completely now.  I was running it on a free Azure account, created an instance for a second free website and started getting billed $60 a month for the empty site.  I told them close out everything with that account.

Since there is no panic anymore most of the usefulness of the site doesn't matter.  It would still lets people check prices and compare prices between stores. Some stores will deeply discount certain ammo for an unknown reason and keep it as their regular price.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Well the panic is back.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By fighter443:
Well the panic is back.
View Quote

So is this thread !
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Pointman91:

So is this thread !
View Quote

Yes it is
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I've heard some Walmart stores are selling ammo again.  I would have to see if I can even pull any information from their system as I'm sure they have redesigned their API.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#48]
My local store has bulk .22 and shotgun shells in stock.  I think they have one centerfire bolt action rifle they can actually sell ammo for.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Subscribed for if it comes back, you really help me back in the day with the 22 shortage !
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:19:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rzrsedge] [#50]
I've heard some Walmart stores are selling ammo again.  I would have to see if I can even pull any information from their system as I'm sure they have redesigned their API.
View Quote

My local Walmart has been carrying a variety of ammo, 30-06, 308, 243, 270, .22LR, 12ga, 20ga, 28ga, etc. Mostly hunting oriented rounds of course.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top