Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2013 12:22:43 PM EDT
I dont l like beer ...

Before you ask me "Boy,  you some kind of faggot?". My preferred drink is neat bourbon so dont doubt my manhood. I just dont like the taste of beer unless I am already pretty wasted haha. Any suggestions on some craft beers to try to maybe branch out? Yes I realize this could go poorly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I dont l like beer ...

Before you ask me "Boy,  you some kind of faggot?". My preferred drink is neat bourbon so dont doubt my manhood. I just dont like the taste of beer unless I am already pretty wasted haha. Any suggestions on some craft beers to try to maybe branch out? Yes I realize this could go poorly.
View Quote

I doubt your manhood. . .
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of beer have you tried, and of those that you've tried, which did you hate the least? Maybe we can figure something out for you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone is just going to tell you to try whatever their favorite beer is, and most of them probably suck. Just go to the store and buy beers of a few varieties and see what you like, then go back and buy more beers of the variety you liked.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah , I know , gee , whatever happened to wine coolers ?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Go drink a Mikes Hard you pussy

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of beer have you tried, and of those that you've tried, which did you hate the least? Maybe we can figure something out for you.
View Quote

I mostly have just tried what ever is available at parties, Bud Light, Busch Light, etc etc . Probably the best two in the light beer genre I have had is Yuengling and Stella.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I mostly have just tried what ever is available at parties, Bud Light, Busch Light, etc etc . Probably the best two in the light beer genre I have had is Yuengling and Stella.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, my. Well, the good news is, you've never actually had beer, so there's hope for you yet.

What state are you in?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh, my. Well, the good news is, you've never actually had beer, so there's hope for you yet.  

What state are you in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What state are you in?

SC, I have been told that the drinks are different based on location.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I dont l like beer ...

View Quote

Maybe try some nice wine spritzers.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I could not drink enough beer to get the buzz I wanted,,,,wiskey was my pal
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
It's okay OP. . . Frankly I prefer to drink Coors light when sitting down to watch the game.

I don't really get into the thousands of microbrews, or Hoppy IPA's they try and sell to my demographic. (FYI: there is a shit ton of them in WA)
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Molsen Golden.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#14]
If you get into some good european beers, you may change your mind. You could also give some micro brews a shot. I guarantee there's one out there you'll enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you get into some good european beers, you may change your mind. You could also give some micro brews a shot. I guarantee there's one out there you'll enjoy.
View Quote

Where does one get the actual European beers? Like I said earlier in the thread I believe the imports are changed to fit American tastes so they sell better. I would like to has a taste of the regular stuff. I could be wrong on that but let me know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Your not alone. I have drank more than my share of
beer over the past 40 years but I can't say I really like

beer. Scotch was my drink of choice for many years after

we gave up moon shining..
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Having tasted piss, beer tastes like piss.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't like beer either.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got any pubs around you that have the samplers?  One restaurant that we love to go to has "Three Little Beers".  Every few days , the owner picks 3 new beers and serves them in 6 oz glasses (appropriate to the beer type) on a rectangular plate.  Its a great way to introduce yourself to different beers without knowing what to try, served in a full size glass, etc.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Try something dark, for a starter, perhaps a nice Porter, then maybe move on to Stout, if you like the darker beers.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe something with a higher alcohol content like a dopplebock?
Something with less hops?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

SC, I have been told that the drinks are different based on location.
View Quote
Cool. I always like to recommend local beers, if I can. And in your case, I can.

Check out Blackbeard the Imperial Stout, from COAST Brewing Company. It's a seasonal (winter) and you should be able to get it, especially if you're anywhere near Charleston.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I like beer when it's hotter 'n hell and I've been out working in the heat.

For the rest of the time
There's Bourbon,

Neat.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a bourbon barrel aged oatmeal stout the other day that was heavenly.

You just need to expand your sample audience.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Try something dark, for a starter, perhaps a nice Porter, then maybe move on to Stout, if you like the darker beers.
View Quote
I suggested a very good Stout for him, and it's a South Carolina brewery. And at 9.3% ABV, it'll probably get his attention.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Maybe something with a higher alcohol content like a dopplebock?

Something with less hops?
View Quote
Have you seen what he's tried already? Shit, they show the hops to the beer, then quickly put them back under lock and key.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I suggested a very good Stout for him, and it's a South Carolina brewery. And at 9.3% ABV, it'll probably get his attention.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do know a good bar near here with over 100 varieties of beer so I can swing by and try a bunch at some point. Anything from a can or long neck that is readily accessible that is worth a shot or are those to be steered clear of?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Ever tried Heady Topper? Big, really big, deal here in Vermont. Micro brewery. Had to close their factory retail store. Neighbors complaining of too much traffic..

cap
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I do know a good bar near here with over 100 varieties of beer so I can swing by and try a bunch at some point. Anything from a can or long neck that is readily accessible that is worth a shot or are those to be steered clear of?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One neat thing you can do, is see if that bar has a "World Tour" kind of thing. Bars that have that many beers available often do. You sign up, and try a new beer every day (or whenever). Then you get some kind of prize if you complete them all. There's a popular place here that gives you a cool jacket if you complete theirs (it's like 300 different beers, or some shit like that). One of my coworkers did it.

Don't worry about whether it comes in a can, or a bottle, or is on tap, etc. It means nothing, when you're talking about really good craft beer.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Whiskey is what you drink between beers
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One neat thing you can do, is see if that bar has a "World Tour" kind of thing. Bars that have that many beers available often do. You sign up, and try a new beer every day (or whenever). Then you get some kind of prize if you complete them all. There's a popular place here that gives you a cool jacket if you complete theirs (it's like 300 different beers, or some shit like that). One of my coworkers did it.  

Don't worry about whether it comes in a can, or a bottle, or is on tap, etc. It means nothing, when you're talking about really good craft beer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HA!  I bet that jacket is two sizes bigger than when you start the challenge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I mean, that brand you mentioned I can bet I wont be able to find around here this weekend , so I was looking for something a little more mass produced to set me off in the right direction before I can go by a better craft place.  Thanks for your ideas btw.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#33]
There is nothing unmanly about not liking a beverage full of plant estrogen.
Hops is not good for mr winkie.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#34]
It's an "acquired taste", which means you must drink something you don't like until you can tolerate it, and repeat until you enjoy it.  For extra points, do it with really expensive beverages so you can feel superior to American macroswill herpderpering neckbeards.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#35]
OP, you are not alone. Beer sucks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't care for beer either.

Vodka - straight.
Whiskey - straight.
Rum - straight.

Are okay in my books.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
No I mean, that brand you mentioned I can bet I wont be able to find around here this weekend , so I was looking for something a little more mass produced to set me off in the right direction before I can go by a better craft place.  Thanks for your ideas btw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure about that? Check this out:

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Listen to Sub, he know what he is talking about. As an IPA fan I have to say that you need to give them a try. I just moved to NC and the local brewery in the little town I live in has a fairly good one. The brewery is called Aviator, I don't know how far their distribution is. But I'd say look for an IPA from Flyingdog, Snakedog is good it's about 7%, Raging Bitch is better and generally most people like it, 8.3% and a lot of my friends say it is their favorite, if you are brave try the double dog, it is 11.5% but some people think it is a bit much. Or try Dogfish Head, Either the 60 minute, it is 6% and smooth and mild or the 90 minute, it is 9% and has a bit more flavor, but is too much for some. A good starter IPA would be Sierra Nevada Torpedo. It is on the cheaper side but still good flavor and a little stronger that what you are used to.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah trust me, haha, I will need to travel somewhere to pick up some good ones, but Bi-Lo might have some of the other brands you might suggest that are more mass produced.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay away from clear or green bottles. Other than that you are good to go. Most people prefer bottles, but cans are actually better for the beer

good luck

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's an "acquired taste", which means you must drink something you don't like until you can tolerate it, and repeat until you enjoy it.  For extra points, do it with really expensive beverages so you can feel superior to American macroswill herpderpering neckbeards.
View Quote

But the neckbeards really are drinking slightly hoppy-flavored water.  Its like wanting a burger and going to McDonalds. Im not dumping on McDonalds  because I want to establish burger dominance (sans the peeing) over my fellow carnivores, its simply because I want a real burger and not some 'patty' that is only slightly bigger than some of the change in my pocket.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

The compassion shown in this thread, is going to make me tear up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't drink at all, alcohol tastes like shit and/or gasoline to me

Not that I care what you guys drink, drink away.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Having tasted piss, beer tastes like piss.
View Quote

Heineken drinker, then?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yeah trust me, haha, I will need to travel somewhere to pick up some good ones, but Bi-Lo might have some of the other brands you might suggest that are more mass produced.
View Quote
Well, I'm not going to suggest anything "mass produced".

Craft beers with (more or less) nationwide distribution you might want to check out, include Stone, Dogfish Head, Great Divide, Flying Dog, Southern Tier, and Russian River. These breweries make a lot of different styles, and all of them tend to be decent examples of those styles.

And if all else fails, Samuel Adams is freaking everywhere. Just stay away from their gimmicky holiday/fruity/bullshit beers. Stick with the standards.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Craft beers with (more or less) nationwide distribution you might want to check out, include Stone, Dogfish Head, Great Divide, Flying Dog, Southern Tier, and Russian River. These breweries make a lot of different styles, and all of them tend to be decent examples of those styles.

And if all else fails, Samuel Adams is freaking everywhere. Just stay away from their gimmicky holiday/fruity/bullshit beers. Stick with the standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with Sam Adams White Christmas Fruitcake Gingerbread!  

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I do not like some beers, I do not like some Bourbon...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#48]
It's not gay you sucked my....

Whoops should have read OP first! carry on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Generally I have started beer haters off with maltier or sweeter beers, and avoided the ultra hoppy IPAs.

Belgian white beer (Blue Moon is one example of a macro version) and hefeweizens (wheat beers) like Spaten Franziskaner are a good start if you like a fruitier, less bitter beer with some good flavor.

Brown ales (Newcastle, etc.) are also a good intro for medium-dark with low bitterness.

Porters are dark and thick, much like a stout but not as bitter.

When you feel like venturing into the more hoppier brews, try like hell to find one fresh and on tap, since so many bottled IPAs are just burnt-rubber bitter without some of the more subtle and interesting floral notes from the hops.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#50]
There are simply too many variations of beer to possibly lump ALL of it nto the same "I hate beer" statement as Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc.

It's like saying "I hate liquor" after drinking some really shitty tequila.

It sounds to me like you just hate light beer.

I dislike IPA, tastes like drinking grandma's perfume.

I'll second the idea of trying porters and stouts though. I'll take a nice roast over ridiculous amounts of hops any day.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top