Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2013 11:41:24 PM EDT
I know the 2 doors a rated for 2000 pounds and 4 doors rated for 3500 pounds.

Does anyone tow more then that? What about over mountains I'm picturing the 2 door being a little bit unstable.
I know the 2007 and later JK's are a bit wider maybe that helps with stability?

OP drives dually diesel F350 towing 40 foot 18,000 pound 5th wheel trailer and sometimes a small utility trailer.

Looking to sell my truck and buy car and a Jeep for a offroad toy and to tow utility trailer with a few atv's on it..
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any personal experience towing with them, but it's not the ideal towing set up. Short wheel base will be the biggest issue, especially in the mountains. Stopping power would be my second concern.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't have any personal experience towing with them, but it's not the ideal towing set up. Short wheel base will be the biggest issue, especially in the mountains. Stopping power would be my second concern.
View Quote
Not to mention the wear on the drivetrain.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Does anyone tow more then that? What about over mountains I'm picturing the 2 door being a little bit unstable.

OP drives dually diesel F350 towing 40 foot 18,000 pound 5th wheel trailer and sometimes a small utility trailer.

Looking to sell my truck and buy car and a Jeep for a offroad toy and to tow utility trailer with a few atv's on it..
View Quote

So you're going to get rid of the F350 to get a jeep for an offroad toy?

In a couple years you'll be buying a tow rig for the offroad toy that is no longer streetable/comfortable on the road.

Ditch the 5th wheel.  Buy samuri/jeep/yota for offroad toy and decent car hauler and tent and camp gear....your F350 will obviously handle a trailer large enough for your toys.

The stuff that make a jeep capable and fun offroad seriously degrade it from being a tow rig.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't be casual with your tongue weight. The SWB makes it very easy for the tail to wag the dog.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:50:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Do not get a Jeep with plans of towing. Jeeps barely handle a strong crosswind by itself, I would not want to deal with one pulling a trailer. I watched my buddy almost ball his up a few times pulling a couple sleds on a two place thanks to the wind, he could run 55-60 tops, in my F250 80 was no problem in the conditions with a similar load.

I towed a Trans-Am on a dolly once with the Wrangler I used to have, it wasn't all that bad, flat land, mostly highway, it wasn't doing anything fast especially stopping, when the T/A got to swaying a little things got pretty interesting, but I would never do it again for more than a mile or two.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a TJ and towed a single Seadoo on a Roadmaster trailer.  Total weight about 600 pounds.  It worked fine with that setup but I would not want to double or triple that load.  The other problem with a two door is the storage for hauling stuff that won't fit in the trailer.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Towed small stuff with my rockcrawler and daily driver wranglers.  Neither were very fun.  And one of the guys nailed it on the head, the more your off-road toy moves to being a better offroad toy, the more it sucks ass on the road.  

As somebody else said too, the stock drivetrains in most jeeps are medium duty at best and wouldn't even hold up to a 1/2 ton pickup.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have towed with my 93 and 95 Wranglers... the 93 is a 6 with a 5 speed, I did about 4,000#s of firewood a couple of miles, it was too much on the rear mounts, tore where the hitch was, get a frame hitch if you can. The 95 does 1500 easy, it is a 4 with a 5 speed. Never had steep inclines but some ups and downs with mostly level. They are beasts for short work, I have pulled a large truck up an icy hill with a CJ 5
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
The infamous Jeep "Death Wobble"... not fun when you've experienced one
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:15:35 AM EDT
[#10]
sounds dangerous, depending on weight/load with a small wheelbased cross-over like the Wrangler.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 2007 4 door that I use to pull an M101A2 trailer loaded with mulch all the time. It doesn't like to haul gravel as it's a bit heavy, but sand is OK. Never had any issue stopping, it does suck pulling uphill.

I sometimes pull my Harley on an 8 foot trailer for an annual trip to VA Beach 6 hours away. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The issue is the short wheelbase.  if the wind takes the trailer, you are going to have a bad day.  I used to tow a couple PWC that were around the 2000lb.  It was ok.  Acceleration was slow.  Braking was fine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#13]
You will miss the F350
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In a couple years you'll be buying a tow rig for the offroad toy that is no longer streetable/comfortable on the road.

Ditch the 5th wheel.  Buy samuri/jeep/yota for offroad toy and decent car hauler and tent and camp gear....your F350 will obviously handle a trailer large enough for your toys.

The stuff that make a jeep capable and fun offroad seriously degrade it from being a tow rig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5th wheel is my full time home and i plan to pay someone if i have to move it. It's a toyhauler with a 12 foot garage area.
Truck is expensive as hell to register and insure in California, diesel will never be cheaper then gas anyway and i want to sell it while it's still worth a decent amount.

Leaning towards maybe a 2013 or 2014 4 door wrangler or maybe the LJ which is a longer wheel base TJ.

Subaru WRX STI for a daily driver also.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I tow a 2800 pound (empty) 18 ft. camper trailer with my 05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ). Ceramic pads on the front, bigger wider tires than factory, wider stance (tires offset out more), regear to 4.88s, brake controller installed, Transmission cooler...

Tows fine, but can't be in any hurry to get anywhere... tops out at about 60mph.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I can imagine that setup gets a little hairy on the interstate with a little wind!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeppers....my CJ and my boat.....never  again for any distance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That can happen with any vehicle if their not enough tongue weight and the trailer doesn't have brakes.  The towing part is easy with a lighter vehicle, the stopping part is what is hard.  Make sure you trailer has at least surge brakes.

My boat trailer has no brakes and the boat was set too far back to give it much tongue weight.  Going down a hill on a 4 lane road the trailer started swinging side to side.  Then the trailer started swinging from lane to lane.  The next action was the trailer picking up the back end of my truck and moving it while it was swinging side to side.  Thankfully I got to the bottom of the hill in once piece and the wobble stopped.  I had a longer tongue put on the trailer and shifted the boat forward shortly after that.  That was with a Dakota too.  A Jeep is going to experience that even easier.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My '93 Wrangler will get it if my tires aren't exactly even in pressure and tires balanced. It's happened twice, once towing maybe 1000lbs. and another time not towing. Seems it'll happen when nearing 55 mph. Man, it's scary!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#20]
It's the only picture I have. But this is my 2007 jeep commander 4.7l v8 limited pulling this camper. I towed it 130 miles round trip through the mountains without any problem. Make sure you have a good brake controller and a weight distribution hitch.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That can happen with any vehicle if their not enough tongue weight and the trailer doesn't have brakes.  The towing part is easy with a lighter vehicle, the stopping part is what is hard.  Make sure you trailer has at least surge brakes.  

My boat trailer has no brakes and the boat was set too far back to give it much tongue weight.  Going down a hill on a 4 lane road the trailer started swinging side to side.  Then the trailer started swinging from lane to lane.  The next action was the trailer picking up the back end of my truck and moving it while it was swinging side to side.  Thankfully I got to the bottom of the hill in once piece and the wobble stopped.  I had a longer tongue put on the trailer and shifted the boat forward shortly after that.  That was with a Dakota too.  A Jeep is going to experience that even easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would a boat trailer not have brakes?
Seems brakes are hard to find on small flatbed utility trailers even smaller enclosed trailers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Towed close to 3000lbs in my 2dr from Maryland to Georgia once.  Breaks definitely got a little warm, but other than that it wasn't terrible.  Wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis though.  Give yourself plenty of room just in case and keep the speed down and it it'll should be fine.

Besides the shorter wheel-base making things squirlier at higher loads, the 3500lb 4dr and 2000lb 2dr are identical when it comes to drive-train and breaks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Seems brakes are hard to find on small flatbed utility trailers even smaller enclosed trailers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smaller and older boat trailers don't always have brakes.  My boat is only 19 1/2 feet long and weighs around 2,500 pounds.  Now that I adjusted the boat so I have about 300lbs of tongue weight I can tow the boat faster and with no wobble.  The only problem is the undersized front rotors on my Dakota.  My boat has pushed me through several red lights even with the proper tongue weight.  It sounds like some of the Jeeps have undersized rotors, so that is something to keep in mind.  I've used other tow vehicles for the boat and none of them have any issue like that when stopping.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Smaller and older boat trailers don't always have brakes.  My boat is only 19 1/2 feet long and weighs around 2,500 pounds.  Now that I adjusted the boat so I have about 300lbs of tongue weight I can tow the boat faster and with no wobble.  The only problem is the undersized front rotors on my Dakota.  My boat has pushed me through several red lights even with the proper tongue weight.  It sounds like some of the Jeeps have undersized rotors, so that is something to keep in mind.  I've used other tow vehicles for the boat and none of them have any issue like that when stopping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, there are upgrade kits that people put on after just going to larger tires.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#25]
What's the worst that could happen?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I towed a sport bike on a uhaul trailer from NJ to MA with my Cherokee. Went fine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not " death wobble" - that's poor trailer set up.

"Death wobble" is a front axle issue - had it on my CJ-7, '85 Toyota 4wd & '96 Dodge 2500 4wd - all not towing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Why a jeep? Why not a Ram Powerwagon? That way you get a very capable offroader and tow vehicle all in one.

2014 Powerwagon will be out next month. Ram is replacing its standard 5.7 with a 6.4 next year and saying it gets better gas mileage because they were able to come down to a 4.10 axle and add cylinder deactivation. I am thinking about one myself.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#30]
If you get a 2012 or newer 4 door it will be OK but not great.  The newer JKs have a better engine than the earlier ones.  Also Rubicons come with 4.10 gear which will help with towing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a 2006 Liberty, trasmission cooler, auto, 3.7 and it tows 5,000 #s...same drive train as a Wrangler
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't be casual with your tongue weight. The SWB makes it very easy for the tail to wag the dog.
View Quote

It is pretty funny watching people try to tow stuff that is beyond the capability of their vehicle. I passed a fairly new Rav 4 trying to pull a 10-12 foot U-Haul trailer down the freeway. He wasn't going very fast, maybe 45-50mph but the back end of his Rav 4 was swaying back and forth like Kim Kardashian's ass.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a 2006 Liberty, trasmission cooler, auto, 3.7 and it tows 5,000 #s...same drive train as a Wrangler
View Quote

Nope they are different drivetrains.  And the wrangler has a higher center if gravity.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why a jeep? Why not a Ram Powerwagon? That way you get a very capable offroader and tow vehicle all in one.

2014 Powerwagon will be out next month. Ram is replacing its standard 5.7 with a 6.4 next year and saying it gets better gas mileage because they were able to come down to a 4.10 axle and add cylinder deactivation. I am thinking about one myself.
View Quote

No no no don't want a pickup otherwise i would keep my F350. Plus i like the removable top and doors.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
5000 pound tow rating.

<a href="http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/bigdeeeeeeee/media/1106121450_zpsffda4944.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee458/bigdeeeeeeee/1106121450_zpsffda4944.jpg</a>
View Quote

Let me know when it has 2 solid axles and removable top and doors.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I have an 04 Wrangler and I wouldn't dream of towing anything with it. I love it , but it barely has enough power to pull itself over a large cowpile. it has the 4.0 in it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Make sure your trailer doesn't go faster than the jeep.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

5000 pound tow rating.

<a href="http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/bigdeeeeeeee/media/1106121450_zpsffda4944.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee458/bigdeeeeeeee/1106121450_zpsffda4944.jpg</a>

I don't see any FJ guys starting threads worried about towing....

ETA- and just a utility trailer with ATVs too  

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I pull my dirtbike and my trailer with my 2007 JK 2 door 6 speed. The trailer and bike weigh less than 1000 pounds so I have no experience with anything heavy but it handles the bike and trailer on the highway just fine. Like others said jeeps aren't really meant to tow heavy trailers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5000 pound tow rating.

It gets me where I want to go and when it gets hot and dry around here the full top, doors, and cabin air filter keep the dust on the outside.  It's that independent front suspension that makes it handle well enough to have a 5000 pound rating.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This! I towed a 5000lb trailer from Louisiana to Ga with my 2004 rubicon. A crosswind would generate a strong pucker factor.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

What round for Jeep wrangler?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Towed my 5x8 trailer loaded with pressure treated lumber with my TJ.     Going was not the problem,  stopping was not even that bad...   making turns was scary.  

Since then I don't think I would attempt much more than a small 16' or less aluminum boat or a popup camper with my 2013 2 door
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#44]
If you want a Jeep and want to tow, get a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Jeep Commander. The 5.7L Hemi or 3.0L Diesel preferably (later model 4.7L does OK too). Then you can tow a wranger or JK to beat on the rocks. Other toys too.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nope they are different drivetrains.  And the wrangler has a higher center if gravity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes to higher COG, but same P/T case
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#46]
In 2000 I towed home my brand-new Regal 20 footer (3700 lbs.).  Blew the tranny on my 3yo Jeep within 2 miles.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the differentials and the engine are different. The wrangler has a Dana 44 rear.  i don't know what the LIberty has but I will guess it is a dana 35.  Wrangler came with either 3.8 or 3.6 engine depending on year.  Never had a 3.7.  They are not the same powertrain.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Dana 44s were options and in some packages, 30/35s were first in wranglers, then the 44 was an option, I think they use 44s now, my 4WD is on the floor, where it belongs, no stupid switch/solenoids
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Dana 44s were options and in some packages, 30/35s were first in wranglers, then the 44 was an option, I think they use 44s now, my 4WD is on the floor, where it belongs, no stupid switch/solenoids
View Quote

Yes a very small number of early base model 2007 2 doors came with the dana 35.  He would really have to look for one though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top