User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes a very small number of early base model 2007 2 doors came with the dana 35.  He would really have to look for one though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dana 44s were options and in some packages, 30/35s were first in wranglers, then the 44 was an option, I think they use 44s now, my 4WD is on the floor, where it belongs, no stupid switch/solenoids

Yes a very small number of early base model 2007 2 doors came with the dana 35.  He would really have to look for one though.

I have 2 wranglers left and they were 30/35s, NP case not that AWD BS like the soccer mom SUVs... the liberty is actually pretty damn good in slop... used it Sunday and no problems with stuck or wobbles or anything, it is warmer than my Mud Wrangler..... that heater sucks, but can run all day in the woods and mud in 100+ and not over heat
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know the 2 doors a rated for 2000 pounds and 4 doors rated for 3500 pounds.

Does anyone tow more then that? What about over mountains I'm picturing the 2 door being a little bit unstable.
I know the 2007 and later JK's are a bit wider maybe that helps with stability?

OP drives dually diesel F350 towing 40 foot 18,000 pound 5th wheel trailer and sometimes a small utility trailer.

Looking to sell my truck and buy car and a Jeep for a offroad toy and to tow utility trailer with a few atv's on it..
View Quote

I have towed trailers quite a bit with my 2009 2-door. Trailer with my bike is right at 1200, with 3 bikes it is 2200. Towed a single bike to Texas and back (2900 miles) no issues, towed 3 bikes on a couple of occasions up into the mountains of Tennessee,  for 1000 mile round trip and so on. I have a 6-speed and you do have issues with big hills... in the mountains you would be in 2nd gear on any real incline :)

As far as stability goes... as long as you are road towing and the trailer is set up right, you won't have any issues.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have 2 wranglers left and they were 30/35s, NP case not that AWD BS like the soccer mom SUVs... the liberty is actually pretty damn good in slop... used it Sunday and no problems with stuck or wobbles or anything, it is warmer than my Mud Wrangler..... that heater sucks, but can run all day in the woods and mud in 100+ and not over heat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dana 44s were options and in some packages, 30/35s were first in wranglers, then the 44 was an option, I think they use 44s now, my 4WD is on the floor, where it belongs, no stupid switch/solenoids

You should get a JK.  My heat kicks ass.  I have to turn it down.  even on days like today.  I have the soft top too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What round for Jeep wrangler?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have any personal experience towing with them, but it's not the ideal towing set up. Short wheel base will be the biggest issue, especially in the mountains. Stopping power would be my second concern.

What round for Jeep wrangler?

Nick
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
My personal best with my Wrangler was 4,500 pounds.  It pulled nicely.  It got "exciting" when I had to stop, or slow down, or turn, or about anything that didn't involve accelerating.  I got pushed around like nobody's business.  It was not a safe thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I seem to remember "Johnny the barber" up in Baroda MI having an episode towing a travel trailer.  It felt kinda light in the steering but he drove it anyway.  He hit a bump and the rear went down to the trailer jack and the front wheels were way up in the air.  
He wasn't real pleased with the publicity.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want a Jeep and want to tow, get a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Jeep Commander. The 5.7L Hemi or 3.0L Diesel preferably (later model 4.7L does OK too). Then you can tow a wranger or JK to beat on the rocks. Other toys too.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXEC-4zEIikfmEmnV-23LoRn3LqCI5hnkvwnerjerLB6t0zqBE_A
View Quote

Looks overloaded to me. Look at that thing squat!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeppers....my CJ and my boat.....never  again for any distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The infamous Jeep "Death Wobble"... not fun when you've experienced one

Yeppers....my CJ and my boat.....never  again for any distance.

Yep, pulled a 21 ft ski boat with a 351 in it with my CJ.  Pulled it fine, wouldn't stop for shit, and I got the distinct feeling the boat was driving the Jeep a few times.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I test drove a JK, didn't like it .... my Liberty is a family car, two wranglers one summer the other winter, it has a blast furnace...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
5000 pound tow rating.

<a href="http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/bigdeeeeeeee/media/1106121450_zpsffda4944.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee458/bigdeeeeeeee/1106121450_zpsffda4944.jpg</a>
View Quote

Came to post this
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you get a 2012 or newer 4 door it will be OK but not great.  The newer JKs have a better engine than the earlier ones.  Also Rubicons come with 4.10 gear which will help with towing.
View Quote

I have a 2012 JKUR that I've used to tow my weight set around a few times. Both times was short trips of ~10 miles city driving not many big hills and it SUCKED.  The new engine may have more HP but it only has about 20ftlb more torque and I think that's higher up in the RPM range as it is. And this was all stock. Someone else said it best, keep the 350, buy yourself a dedicated ORV and get a toy hauler and you'll be much more happy. If I could do it over again that's what I'd do
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top