Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/22/2013 7:16:24 AM EDT
After 5 years of living in barracks and small shitty apartments i finally got the space to pull the old family speakers out of storage. Right now i am running a pair of klipsch Klipschorn's that my family has had since the 70's.. The speakers are still running mostly original crossovers and drivers. Right now the amp is a Yamaha RX-V2095, Even with the Yamaha the speakers are way too much for my little rental house but they sound so good. I have an older heath kit 400W  high current amp but i need to do some work on it before i can really run these old girls. I also pulled out an Definitive Technology 425W 15inch woofer from storage but i haven't bothered hooking it up. Pics of my mighty setup are below.(i know my carpet need a vacuum and my house is messy)

You win 10 free internets if you can tell me what the side cover is off of..
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Missing home depot bucket 0/10
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are sitting on your couch, you're not going to get good stereo dynamics.

Is this for actually listening to music, or just turning it up until your ears bleed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are sitting on your couch, you're not going to get good stereo dynamics.

Is this for actually listening to music, or just turning it up until your ears bleed.
View Quote

There is another couch on the other wall. The speakers need to be placed in a 90 degree corner so in a small rental house there kinda hard to place. I use them to actually listen to music. Because of my time on the flight line i am pretty deaf. With the high current amp the speakers sound crisper and deeper if that makes since. I need to find a better media than a cheap iPod. I have a SA CD player from back in the day but i dont know if i can burn SA CDs of if there is a better way..
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
85 Virago.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
85 Virago.
View Quote

Nope completely wrong. Not a Yamaha..
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Jesus, put up a picture at least.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Klipsch.....are they still the creme-de-la-creme of home speakers ?

I had a simple pair of Heresys that I scored for $50 at a Florida yard sale , years ago .......plugged into a 70's vintage Pioneer 100watt tuner I got for a few bucks at a different yard sale the previous winter (had a blown $3 fuse, LoL).....literally shook my house in crystal-clear excellence

Traded the set-up for a block and crankshaft and regret it to this day

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I had a simple pair of Heresys that I scored for $50 at a Florida yard sale , years ago .......plugged into a 70's vintage Pioneer 100watt tuner I got for a few bucks at a different yard sale the previous winter (had a blown $3 fuse, LoL).....literally shook my house in crystal-clear excellence

View Quote

I really haven't been keeping up with home speakers. I love klipsch's. crystal-clear and responsive. I know the heritage series are still made in the US...
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Those speakers would be just fine with a 20 watt tube amp.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't have a PIC but I rock with B&W 801 and Denon CD Player  Just sold my Pass Labs amp and in the market for something new.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I would love to get a tube amp but alas being a poor college student i cant afford anything.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Awesome....now who's the mutant in the reflection. j/k

I have an Anthem D2v 3D tied to an Axiom Audio A1400-8 amp powering two Def Tech BP7001SCs and two JL Audio F212s along with dual centers and surrounds for a 7.6 (towers have built in powered sub too!).
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Martin Logan Vistas, with an Abyss sub, powered by a Nakamichi PA7 fed by an OPPO BDP95. Not high end by any means, but it does image very well, is very musical and completely satisfying. Also have a pair of aging KEF R107's around here somewhere, not using them at the current time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Old school here. I've had this for 22 years. No remote, no tone controls, single disc CD, 370 watts per channel, hand made amp and pre-amp.

pair of these
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Jesus, put up a picture at least.
View Quote

I figured someone would get it from the blurry shitty pic
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Old school here. I've had this for 22 years. No remote, no tone controls, single disc CD, 370 watts per channel, hand made amp and pre-amp.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CnNxW1M9Ixg/TpcsLfKYuwI/AAAAAAAAB2g/-XAnqWE2pow/s800/IMG_1246%2520%2528Large%2529.JPG

pair of these
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1PLUoRVdJYw/TpcsLJv7fUI/AAAAAAAAB2c/3v1xKD8Xqv4/s800/IMG_1248%2520%2528Large%2529.JPG
View Quote

*insert "its beautiful" cat picture.. Did you build the amps from kits?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Although the K-horns were very interesting and pretty cool, Klipsch never has been, and never will be the "creme-de-la creme" of home speakers. Moon, Westlake, Goldmund, NTT, Wilson and the like, well now you are talking.
I am not knocking Klipsch at all, they have their place along with Deftech, PSB, Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, KEF, and other consumer grade speakers. it's just that they are a long ways from the high end.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Your vascularity is both impressive and scary at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#22]
K-horns, very nice.

My HT is 7 Klipsch KG5.5's, Denon 3808 and an Elemental Designs 18" 1300w sub in a 12 cubic foot enclosure.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CnNxW1M9Ixg/TpcsLfKYuwI/AAAAAAAAB2g/-XAnqWE2pow/s800/IMG_1246%2520%2528Large%2529.JPG

pair of these
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1PLUoRVdJYw/TpcsLJv7fUI/AAAAAAAAB2c/3v1xKD8Xqv4/s800/IMG_1248%2520%2528Large%2529.JPG

Thanks. The amp and pre-amp were built by Steve McCormack. I think my serial number is 60 or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Although the K-horns were very interesting and pretty cool, Klipsch never has been, and never will be the "creme-de-la creme" of home speakers. Moon, Westlake, Goldmund, NTT, Wilson and the like, well now you are talking.
I am not knocking Klipsch at all, they have their place along with Deftech, PSB, Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, KEF, and other consumer grade speakers. it's just that they are a long ways from the high end.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but you know little about world class speakers.  Wilson makes some nice stuff, if not a bit bombastic, but they're only a sliver.

OP should shoot himself in the face for running horns with a junker mass market HT receiver.

You all get back to me with you've listened to some nice horns fed by little SET 2A3, 300B or 45 tube amps.

Sublime, but not for everybody.

I'm running Wright Sound 300B monos into some '74 Cornwalls w/verticle horns.  Preamp is a Blue Circle 3.1 Galatea, phonostage is a Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 SE handling a Kuzma Stabi TT w/Stogi Reference arm and a Transfiguration Spirit MC cart.  Silver disc duties is a Sony SCD-1 SACD/CD player.

I've got other stuff in a second system, such as a pair of Dynaudio Contour 3.0s, Belles 150a SS amp, Bottlehead Foreplay preamp, Nakamichi RX-505 tape deck, etc.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sorry, but you know little about world class speakers.  Wilson makes some nice stuff, if not a bit bombastic, but they're only a sliver.

OP should shoot himself in the face for running horns with a junker mass market HT receiver.

You all get back to me with you've listened to some nice horns fed by little SET 2A3, 300B or 45 tube amps.

I'm running Wright Sound 300B monos into some '74 Cornwalls w/verticle horns.  Preamp is a Blue Circle 3.1 Galatea, phonostage is a Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 SE handling a Kuzma Stabi TT w/Stogi Reference arm and a Transfiguration Spirit MC cart.  Silver disc duties is a Sony SCD-1 SACD/CD player.

I've got other stuff in a second system, such as a pair of Dynaudio Contour 3.0s, Belles 150a SS amp, Bottlehead Foreplay preamp, Nakamichi RX-505 tape deck, etc.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Sorry, but you know absolutely nothing of me or my knowledge of high end audio products.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry, but you know absolutely nothing of me or my knowledge of high end audio products.
View Quote

Yes I do, from what you wrote.

See how easy that was?

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=1280&f=New_Rack_Pic.jpg

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=1280&f=SecondRigB.jpg

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Pioneer TOTL SX-1250 160WPC, Pioneer PL-400 TT, and JBL L80-t speakers.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a McIntosh tube pre-amp and amp, dont have any speakers though
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
url=http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/508/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/508/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png[/url]

View Quote

That's cute.  Something I'd expect from GD.

I didn't make the initial 'claim' that I was responding to, so unless you have something constructive to add, you might want to bone up on the subject.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#33]
kaw z1?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I've always wanted a pair of K-horns for my man cave.  Right now just a pair of KG5.5s and an old Denon AVR3600, just doing stereo duty.  Plenty loud for me.        

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Sadly Klipsch no longer makes high end speakers, they are one of the many mass market Chinese made speakers with only a name plate and premium price tag make it special. Polk, KEF, PSB and others have all done it. I recently acquired a wife unit and her big dogs, so I had to drastically slim down my HT system. Once the kids get all moved out I will again have a high end 2 channel set up, but what I have will work for now:

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#36]
merely marantz and 4 towers along with tiny 10" sub box
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sadly Klipsch no longer makes high end speakers, they are one of the many mass market Chinese made speakers with only a name plate and premium price tag make it special. Polk, KEF, PSB and others have all done it. I recently acquired a wife unit and her big dogs, so I had to drastically slim down my HT system. Once the kids get all moved out I will again have a high end 2 channel set up, but what I have will work for now:

http://i39.tinypic.com/107uvyx.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/al0zli.jpg

View Quote

Are those the M12's? Nice setup btw.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm glad you like your stereo OP, but far from badass.  I've seen and heard some amazing systems, that blow away my Sonus Fabers (which are damned nice).  I currently run it off my Pioneer Elite unit, which is an insult to the speakers.  I bet you'll have an awesome system after you graduate!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Klipschorns are just as bad-assed today as they were back in the 1950's...

They sell for quite a bit more nowadays, however - A brand-new pair will set you back $9K.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They sell for quite a bit more nowadays, however - A brand-new pair will set you back $9K.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the La Scalas and the La Belles.  I'll leave my lowly Cornies out of the mix, lol.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Chris
View Quote

Hey guy- OP is recently released Vet, going to school, and sharing his set-up with us. We can't all be as esoteric in our selection of audio equipment. Would have really enjoyed learning about your set-up if you weren't so pompous.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Be careful with audio equipment.  I work with a guy that has over $100,000 in his home-audio setup.  This includes room treatment, as even the best equipment will sound like shit in a bad room.  He isn't even done with the system.  Occasionally, he still finds things to upgrade.  It gets out of hand quickly.

I rarely listen to music these days.  Plus, I'm pretty cheap.  I don't even have a system right now.  I just listen to tracks on my home-studio setup, or headphones.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Here's most of the setup I got while stationed in Germany in 1990
Crappy phone pictures!

Pioneer SA-1520 amp, 4-channel, 350 watts per channel
Kenwood GE-1100 12-band EQ with reverb amp

Pioneer CS-T6100 speakers

Not shown, Bose 101 speakers on rear surround channel
6-disc changer
6-cassette changer
Kenwood speakers, twice as big as the Pioneers, but they're in storage
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris
I had a chance to audition pair of Egglestonworks Savoys ($55,000 pair) powered by a pair of Boulder Amp monoblocks ($45,000 each) with a record player that had to have cost $20,000.  It was incredible.

Since it was at the Egglestonworks factory, I had a chance to see the construction process and it is no different from the DIY speakers I built a few years ago from a proven, published design.  Yes, they finished them a little better by sending them to a auto restoration company to be painted with Porsche paint.  But they are still made from the same wood and held together with the same glue.  The Morel mids and Dynaudio tweeters are higher end then my Dayton speakers, the crossover parts are held to a tighter tolerance but my speakers cost $150 each.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#45]
I installe 47,000 dollars worth of air conditioning in one home just for their amp racks.

my myself I was only mediocre with my B&K B&W, Krell home gear but I have run some 1 million dollar plus live sound desks at FOH
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:I had a chance to audition pair of Egglestonworks Savoys ($55,000 pair) powered by a pair of Boulder Amp monoblocks ($45,000 each) with a record player that had to have cost $20,000.  It was incredible.

Since it was at the Egglestonworks factory, I had a chance to see the construction process and it is no different from the DIY speakers I built a few years ago from a proven, published design.  Yes, they finished them a little better by sending them to a auto restoration company to be painted with Porsche paint.  But they are still made from the same wood and held together with the same glue.  The Morel mids and Dynaudio tweeters are higher end then my Dayton speakers, the crossover parts are held to a tighter tolerance but my speakers cost $150 each.
View Quote

I'm not trying to make this a pissing contest and opinions vary widely in HiFi these days, but there are some great sounding rigs out there.  Most people walk by the Best Buy, or Magnolia setups and think that things are rad and nifty sounding.

I put my system together from '99-'02, so it's dated, but during that time, I was really into top notch gear...being a member of the SoFla audio society, having 3-4 friends who were equally sick, going to CES, the VSAC tube show, the Montreal show, so I got to really listen to a lot of gear.  Some of it's great sounding, some of it isn't.  Some of it's insanely priced and some of it's not.

I tell gun people to stay away from HiFi, because even my modest system makes NFA weapons look cheap, lol.

This was my buddy's rig circa '08, before we lost touch:

He went through nice gear like some of us change underware.

See how many of you can guess what's what?

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#47]
For critical listening...

Krell Standard, Conrad Johnson SC26 preamp and CJ SA250 amplifier. Speakers are vintage IMF TLS-50's.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Arcam Alpha 10 integrated, Dynaudio Audience 72, Arcam Alpha 9 CD, Rega P2000 with Origin Live OL1 arm, Monolithic phono stage with seperate power supply.

OP, work toward getting some tube power for those Klipshhorns.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Do you even audiophile bro?! Sorry for the shitty cell phone pics:

Magico, Rega, Macintosh this week.  Who knows next week.  The cables on those $30k Magicos are solid silver ($5k...ouch!!)

FWIW, that $100k worth of Audio isn't mine.  My brother owns a high end audio shop. I get his hand-me-downs.  I have a Canary tube pre-amp with an old Hafler driving my Monitor Audio in-walls.  He probably has $250k of speakers siitting around his office.  It's crazy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I once got to listen to a purpose built audiophile system.  Was at a Doctor's house for a christmas party.  When we got to talking about music and how we're both musicians, he walked me into his music room.  He had a fantastic system...well into 6 figures, boutique tube amp, speakers that cost more than my car, etc etc.  Tuned room.  Very tastefully done.

I sat down to listen, and he just just left me in there...I never returned to the party, I just sat and listened to his system the rest of the night.  It was absolutely beautiful, honestly almost brought me to tears.

A "badass system" is simply not determined by how much wattage you are pushing through the biggest speakers you can get at Best Buy.

I'd kill for a nice system like that one I heard that night.  Someday.  As it is, a friend of mine and I have been getting into vintage receivers and such.  I have a couple old Sansui models that sound great compared to today's commercial receivers.  My old Sansui's just destroy any modern solid state stuff.

But I would never say I have a badass rig, not knowing the monsters some folks have built out there.  Jealous
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top