Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are those the M12's? Nice setup btw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadly Klipsch no longer makes high end speakers, they are one of the many mass market Chinese made speakers with only a name plate and premium price tag make it special. Polk, KEF, PSB and others have all done it. I recently acquired a wife unit and her big dogs, so I had to drastically slim down my HT system. Once the kids get all moved out I will again have a high end 2 channel set up, but what I have will work for now:

http://i39.tinypic.com/107uvyx.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/al0zli.jpg

Are those the M12's? Nice setup btw.

Thank you. Yes sir those are M12's, C12 center w/ S12 surrounds and a pair of Definitve Supercube 2's. Makes for a nice bang for the buck set up
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#3]
i only have a mid-fi,but it works for me.

adcom amp,pre-amp,pioneer changer and a pair of klipsch kg somethings.

been going 20yrs.

wish i could upgrade

guess i gotta try to smoke it,first

clown
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Vintage K-horns. Very very nice. My parent have had a pair of La Scalas for 25 years and they still sound great. They will split yours ears with a 5 watt amp and still be crystal clear.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OP should shoot himself in the face for running horns with a junker mass market HT receiver.

You all get back to me with you've listened to some nice horns fed by little SET 2A3, 300B or 45 tube amps.

Sublime, but not for everybody.

I'm running Wright Sound 300B monos into some '74 Cornwalls w/verticle horns. Preamp is a Blue Circle 3.1 Galatea, phonostage is a Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 SE handling a Kuzma Stabi TT w/Stogi Reference arm and a Transfiguration Spirit MC cart. Silver disc duties is a Sony SCD-1 SACD/CD player.

I've got other stuff in a second system, such as a pair of Dynaudio Contour 3.0s, Belles 150a SS amp, Bottlehead Foreplay preamp, Nakamichi RX-505 tape deck, etc.
View Quote

I don't even know what any of that means. Seriously. Not a fucking clue.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of it was just differing brands of gear.

'Horns' describes a type of speaker, going way back, like movie theatres used in the 30s, so that type of old.  

Paul W. Klipsch was a fan of 'horns' and his La Scalas, La Belles, Klipschorns and Cornwwalls employ a compression type of driver for midrange and tweeter duties, along with big ~15" woofers for bass.

Horn type speakers are known for being very efficient, very clean sounding and very fast on the transients.

My Cornwalls are 100dB @ 8 ohms efficient, which basically means that I can run tiny tube amps, that put out 1.5w, 3w or 5w and still get loud/clean/fast sound pressure levels.  My amps use the 300B power tube and output abut 5w-6w before running out of headroom, so that's not a lot, but with horn speakers, 110dB-114dB is possible and that's pretty loud.

Most 'box' reflex type speakers are in the 85-90dB range and need larger amps to achieve the same SPLs.

Anyhow...be thankful that you've only caught the 'gun bug' because stereo crap is at an entirely different level, monetarily speaking.

Chris

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

'Horns' describes a type of speaker, going way back, like movie theatres used in the 30s, so that type of old.  

Paul W. Klipsch was a fan of 'horns' and his La Scalas, La Belles, Klipschorns and Cornwwalls employ a compression type of driver for midrange and tweeter duties, along with big ~15" woofers for bass.

Horn type speakers are known for being very efficient, very clean sounding and very fast on the transients.

My Cornwalls are 100dB @ 8 ohms efficient, which basically means that I can run tiny tube amps, that put out 1.5w, 3w or 5w and still get loud/clean/fast sound pressure levels.  My amps use the 300B power tube and output abut 5w-6w before running out of headroom, so that's not a lot, but with horn speakers, 110dB-114dB is possible and that's pretty loud.

Most 'box' reflex type speakers are in the 85-90dB range and need larger amps to achieve the same SPLs.

Anyhow...be thankful that you've only caught the 'gun bug' because stereo crap is at an entirely different level, monetarily speaking.

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

And harsh, peaky, brassy, honky, hard to balance, and hard to get imaging out of. Avantgarde is one of the few that has actually pulled off horn loaded speakers that I find listenable, but take that with a grain of salt as ChrisGarret thinks I am stupid and I think he is deaf, but anyway.

They did make sense when a 20 watt tube amp was huge power.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
kaw z1?
View Quote

Just got home from work and school... And your right...
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I designed and spec'd my speakers which are made from Dynoaudio drivers and xover. Yup they used to sell the components separate.

The sub is also DYI (Rythmic servo controlled). Im using a Pioneer Elite 92thx for a preamp and  Sherbourne power Amp. Recently got back into vinyl although  still enjoy my XRCds.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

HOLY MASSIVE VEINS!

HULK SMASH!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#13]
IMHO most people don't have golden ears so therefor have no reason to spend lots-o-gold for audio reproduction that can, mostly, only be measured and not heard. Seriously how many arfcommers can really hear anything above 12-15 Khz

Love my Sony 7.1 A/V receiver and Yamaha speakers
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's most of the setup I got while stationed in Germany in 1990
Crappy phone pictures!

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/Gulftanker/ph2_zpsbf3b02d5.jpg

Pioneer SA-1520 amp, 4-channel, 350 watts per channel
Kenwood GE-1100 12-band EQ with reverb amp
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/Gulftanker/ph3_zps1e219803.jpg

Pioneer CS-T6100 speakers
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/Gulftanker/ph4_zps99f25543.jpg

Not shown, Bose 101 speakers on rear surround channel
6-disc changer
6-cassette changer
Kenwood speakers, twice as big as the Pioneers, but they're in storage
View Quote

Please tell me you've outgrown scooping the EQ like that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
kaw z1?

For the record, I knew that at first glance too. Great bikes. Guess my age is showing...

Nice stereos guys. I can feel it in my chest.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's most of the setup I got while stationed in Germany in 1990
Crappy phone pictures!

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/Gulftanker/ph2_zpsbf3b02d5.jpg

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/Gulftanker/ph3_zps1e219803.jpg

Pioneer CS-T6100 speakers
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/Gulftanker/ph4_zps99f25543.jpg

Not shown, Bose 101 speakers on rear surround channel
6-disc changer
6-cassette changer
Kenwood speakers, twice as big as the Pioneers, but they're in storage

Nope
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
For amplifiers I run a pair of Krell KMA-160 monoblocks.   But not THIS pair.

For speakers I run a pair of Aerial Acoustics 10Ts in black ash.  But again, not THIS pair.

I don't have a current pic of my setup.  
The Krells run HOT.  So much so that I actually don't use them very much.  Only during the colder months, actually.  

They WILL drive the temperature of the room up by more than 10 degrees with the A/C running constantly.

So, most of the time I run a QSC MX1500A commercial stereo power amp instead of the Krells.   The QSC is more

powerful and honestly I do NOT hear any difference between the two amplification choices in ANY way.

The 1500A puts out 500 watts RMS per channel into these speakers, which are close to a 4 ohm load.

I have run the system hard enough to see the clipping indicators start to light up on the 1500A.  That is a BIG

sound at that point.   Almost scary.

For a preamp I use a vintage Pioneer C90 (actually one of the first Elite Pioneer products, before they called the

line the Elite line.)  It has the virtue of being incredibly quiet and with at least 10 input paths and several loop options,

it's as flexible as any two channel stereo preamp ever made.

My setup is in a room that's too small to do a GOOD multichannel setup,  so I settle for really excellent stereo instead of

mediocre surround sound.

I have a subwoofer,  a big custom made model you won't find in any catalog, but the Aerials don't NEED a subwoofer.

They fill out the bottom end better than most subs do as their frequency response is flat to 21 Hz.   Not many subs are

flat this low.

Occasionally I'll turn on the sub if I want to do structural damage to the house and chase animals out of the attic.  

It's fed just a kilowatt RMS at full output and delivers 120 dB at 20 Hz (that is including room gain effects) so it's adequate,

to say the least.

I have a second QSC MX1500A that I need to finish repairs on and then I'll biamp the main speakers, taking the system up to

1000 watts RMS per channel plus another KW for the sub.

Although this is some pretty expensive gear,  going by its cost at the time it was new,  I got the Krell amps for just 500

bucks plus shipping, and in need of total repair/overhaul/restoration as they'd been in a house fire.  Not burned, but hosed

down and put out along with the fire.  Then left to rot and rust in a basement for two years before I got them.

I put a true 40 labor hours into restoring them and they've been  bulletproof reliable now for about 12 years.

I got a bargain, one I earned with my own labor.

The speakers cost a bit more.  I got them for 2700 dollars when they were hardly a year old,  a good 5000 dollar savings

off the cost of a new set on the showroom floor.   It was a huge expenditure for me at the time but I've never regretted it for a moment.

I am DEEPLY cynical about the cable game, however.   Not that I don't hear a difference between cables,  but that the price of "good" cables

is totally ridiculous for what you're really getting.     It's all hype, bullshit, and MARKUP.  

CJ

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#19]
ok, I'll play. My systems sounds decent to me, and it wasn't too harsh on the wallet. It consists of:

1973 Klipsch Cornwalls with Crites crossovers and diaphragms (vertical horns too)

early 60s dynaco mk3 monoblocs 60w each

jolida music envoy preamp

AR ES-1 turntable

HTPC with decent sound card to play my flacs

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I use to build these while living in the mountains up in Colorado. They had a great sound.
http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Some wild money systems shown/discussed here. Also shown is the sort of smugness that drove me away from the hardcore audiophile stuff and sent me down the fun, vintage two-channel road instead. I like stereo gear because I like music, not because I like getting into pissing contests over interconnects and the sort of voodoo and junk science that permeates a large section of this hobby.

My favorite/longest lasting system was a Sansui AU919/TU919 into JBL 4412 monitors. Second best was probably APT Holman pre/power amps and Acoustic Research AR90s.

Currently I'm down to a truly midfi setup (restored Marantz 1090, Polk Monitor 4s, Polk LF14) but it still sounds good enough to occasionally turn my head and make me perk my ears up.

When I get the space setup properly in my basement, I'm going to put together a system built around JBL 4430s which are some of my favorite vintage speakers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys are weird.  I'll stick with my nice consumer stuff.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I feel like i have gotten in over my head starting this thread... lol... Maybe ill pull out the heath kit tomorrow and see how much hate i can bring out of the woodwork..
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wise choice
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have some un hooked up stuff laying around
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 2 sets of speakers and one receiver that gets used depending on the situation.  The smaller 4 infinity speakers are pretty sweet and I got them free on the side of the road along with the Yamaha receiver.  The two larger floor standers are also excellent and are currently connected to the yamaha.  They're AAL brand, and they sound quite fantastic, especially considering I got these free from my parent's friends who moved across country!

Overall not really that expensive of a setup, but it sure is nice!

I do like my JH Audio JH5's though, really excellent although they're iem's and not speakers.  $450 including ear molds and I could not be happier with them!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Mcintosh HT1's and and HT2 for a center
Speakercrap BassX12
Yamaha Z1 (yes, an AVR with Macs) Sorry....

And since it is a video location
Runco CW50 plasma and Runco DHD video processor.
Also have a set of 3 Nikola Electric Works (NEW audio) monoblocks stored away (that I am thinking about selling).

Kind of a nothing system really, but I have less then $300 invested in it, that being replacement tweeters for the Macs.
Have sold and installed some pretty outlandish 2channel systems in my day though.
Honestly (for the most part), I am hard pressed to tell the difference between a $1,000 speaker and a $25,000 speaker.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]
11.2 surround in the living room.

Denon 4311ci w/Emotiva power amps...an XPA-5 and 3 UPA-2's combod with Cambridge satellites (80hz-22khz 92db 8ohm) x7 and two pair of emotiva ERD-1's, one pair in bipole one pair in dipole doing different jobs.

Running audyssey dsx heights & wides, with an audyssey MultEQ XT32 pro setup with SubEQ HT.

Subs are just a pair of Klipsh 12".  Going to HSU VTF-15H's when the budget allows.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Kawasaki Z900!

I have a couple receivers, nothing badass really, but nice enough for my needs. I don't know why so many people dump nice sound systems for those cheap ass plastic stereos.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For amplifiers I run a pair of Krell KMA-160 monoblocks.   But not THIS pair.

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/350700-krell_kma_160_monoblocks.jpg

For speakers I run a pair of Aerial Acoustics 10Ts in black ash.  But again, not THIS pair.

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=1099,1100;preview

I don't have a current pic of my setup.  

The Krells run HOT.  So much so that I actually don't use them very much.  Only during the colder months, actually.  
They WILL drive the temperature of the room up by more than 10 degrees with the A/C running constantly.

So, most of the time I run a QSC MX1500A commercial stereo power amp instead of the Krells.   The QSC is more
powerful and honestly I do NOT hear any difference between the two amplification choices in ANY way.
The 1500A puts out 500 watts RMS per channel into these speakers, which are close to a 4 ohm load.

I have run the system hard enough to see the clipping indicators start to light up on the 1500A.  That is a BIG
sound at that point.   Almost scary.

For a preamp I use a vintage Pioneer C90 (actually one of the first Elite Pioneer products, before they called the
line the Elite line.)  It has the virtue of being incredibly quiet and with at least 10 input paths and several loop options,
it's as flexible as any two channel stereo preamp ever made.

My setup is in a room that's too small to do a GOOD multichannel setup,  so I settle for really excellent stereo instead of
mediocre surround sound.

I have a subwoofer,  a big custom made model you won't find in any catalog, but the Aerials don't NEED a subwoofer.
They fill out the bottom end better than most subs do as their frequency response is flat to 21 Hz.   Not many subs are
flat this low.

Occasionally I'll turn on the sub if I want to do structural damage to the house and chase animals out of the attic.  
It's fed just a kilowatt RMS at full output and delivers 120 dB at 20 Hz (that is including room gain effects) so it's adequate,
to say the least.

I have a second QSC MX1500A that I need to finish repairs on and then I'll biamp the main speakers, taking the system up to
1000 watts RMS per channel plus another KW for the sub.

Although this is some pretty expensive gear,  going by its cost at the time it was new,  I got the Krell amps for just 500
bucks plus shipping, and in need of total repair/overhaul/restoration as they'd been in a house fire.  Not burned, but hosed
down and put out along with the fire.  Then left to rot and rust in a basement for two years before I got them.

I put a true 40 labor hours into restoring them and they've been  bulletproof reliable now for about 12 years.

I got a bargain, one I earned with my own labor.

The speakers cost a bit more.  I got them for 2700 dollars when they were hardly a year old,  a good 5000 dollar savings
off the cost of a new set on the showroom floor.   It was a huge expenditure for me at the time but I've never regretted it for a moment.

I am DEEPLY cynical about the cable game, however.   Not that I don't hear a difference between cables,  but that the price of "good" cables
is totally ridiculous for what you're really getting.     It's all hype, bullshit, and MARKUP.  

CJ
View Quote

You win!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Here's a picture of the Dyns I made:

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sadly Klipsch no longer makes high end speakers, they are one of the many mass market Chinese made speakers with only a name plate and premium price tag make it special. Polk, KEF, PSB and others have all done it. I recently acquired a wife unit and her big dogs, so I had to drastically slim down my HT system. Once the kids get all moved out I will again have a high end 2 channel set up, but what I have will work for now:

http://i39.tinypic.com/107uvyx.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/al0zli.jpg

View Quote

Google Klipsch Palladium. They may not keep up with Wilson Alexandria XLF's but they do not cost as much a Bentley either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Pass Labs Pure Class A Monoblocks with a custom Placette PreAmplifier, Maggie 1.6's and Stereo ACI Subs in the house.

I also have a pair of ONKYO M-504's and some high end custom speakers in the garage for my rifle cleaning system.

DBX3BX, 1/2 track 15 IPS reel, asst odds and ends.

I really need to sell some shit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#35]

For some reason cannot find the full pic of my Chorus IIs, but Here is the x-over upgrades

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

<snip>

My favorite/longest lasting system was a Sansui AU919/TU919 into JBL 4412 monitors. Second best was probably APT Holman pre/power amps and Acoustic Research AR90s.

View Quote

I used those in a bedroom theater setup for years, with excellent results  -  (4406's for the rear, Sunfire True Sub, DefTech 2300 center, Sony ES receiver/DVD player).

Room acoustics contributed to a great sound, one that I actually preferred over the larger "main" system in the harsher-sounding den.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I feel like i have gotten in over my head starting this thread... lol... Maybe ill pull out the heath kit tomorrow and see how much hate i can bring out of the woodwork..
View Quote

I am not a Klipsch guy at all but I see no reason why anyone anywhere should be humbled for rocking a pair of Khorns.  Most of the alphas in GD wouldn't be allowed to have such beasts in their home.

I've got some fairly modest JBL Synthesis Performance Series setups that are much smaller and they are the biggest boxes in daily use of anyone I know.

If you're rocking Khorns I'd say you're doing it right.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

you might not want to post that EQ curve for others to see. a big "V" says neophyte like little else.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Picked this up at a "Cherry Blossom Sale," while stationed in Japan in the mid '80s.  Sorry for the crappy pic...

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Picked this up at a "Cherry Blossom Sale," while stationed in Japan in the mid '80s.  Sorry for the crappy pic...

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/jbl/photos/pro-speakers/grateful.jpg
View Quote
Mostly powered my MC2300 McIntosh amps    

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And harsh, peaky, brassy, honky, hard to balance, and hard to get imaging out of. Avantgarde is one of the few that has actually pulled off horn loaded speakers that I find listenable, but take that with a grain of salt as ChrisGarret thinks I am stupid and I think he is deaf, but anyway.

View Quote

Yeah, horns are "peaky, brassy, honky, hard to balance, and hard to get imaging out of"--your words.

From this statement: "They did make sense when a 20 watt tube amp was huge power"--your words, so IMO, you're obviously are out of touch with modern Hi-Fi, but aside from that, I wasn't questioning your knowledge of HiFi (although I am now,) I was questioning your list of loudspeakers that you mentioned.  

Did you even look at what you typed?

As I said, apart from Wilson, which is a 'mass market, boutique speaker maker' and a very good one at that, you just threw out speakers that are most probably 'one offs' and untested monstrosities, IMO.  

Moons for $1.1 million US? NTTs for $200k?  There are some really nice speakers, amps and preamps that cost a boatload of money, but deliver, but not everything with a million dollar pricetag is going to live up to the hype.

Anyhow, I've listed some of the gear that I have, now it's your turn.

Klipsch horn speakers have been weathering the test of time from the late 50s through at least the '10s, so ragging on them like you did, showed your ignorance, IMO.

I seriously doubt that you have the Moons, or Goldmunds, or NTTs, so what are you rockin' right now?

Fess up.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Sitting in storage I got
Acoustic Research 3a's
Sansui BA-3000
Sansui CA-2000
And some other stuff I can't exactly remember.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Pioneer TOTL SX-1250 160WPC, Pioneer PL-400 TT, and JBL L80-t speakers.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/bookertbab/vintagesystem-1.jpg
View Quote

Sweet receiver you've got there, btw.  

Wish I hadn't sold this pair of speakers, for sure.  
L100-t's, factory-finished in a high-gloss black lacquer.  You can see the sheet reflections in them here, like a mirror:

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Yeah, horns are "peaky, brassy, honky, hard to balance, and hard to get imaging out of"--your words.

From this statement: "They did make sense when a 20 watt tube amp was huge power"--your words, so IMO, you're obviously are out of touch with modern Hi-Fi, but aside from that, I wasn't questioning your knowledge of HiFi (although I am now,) I was questioning your list of loudspeakers that you mentioned.  

As I said, apart from Wilson, which is a 'mass market, boutique speaker maker' and a very good one at that, you just threw out speakers that are most probably 'one offs' and untested monstrosities, IMO.  

Moons for $1.1 million US? NTTs for $200k?  There are some really nice speakers, amps and preamps that cost a boatload of money, but deliver, but not everything with a million dollar pricetag is going to live up to the hype.

Klipsch horn speakers have been weathering the test of time from the late 50s through at least the '10s, so ragging on them like you did, showed your ignorance, IMO.

I seriously doubt that you have the Moons, or Goldmunds, or NTTs, so what are you rockin' right now?

Fess up.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fess up.

Chris
^^

This.   But amp-speaker combos is everything with Klipsch.    Before I got the McIntosh, I had a McCormack DNA-2.   I was an absolute ass-kicker of an amp.   But the highs were painfully harsh,  even at moderate levels.     The MC352 is a SS amp with Autoformers on the outputs.   It really calmed it down allot.      

Basically high gain amps don't seem to couple well with high efficiency speakers.     Vintage amps like pioneer SX series would work great,  Dennon would be decent,  Yamaha would make your ears bleed same with older Carver or if you happen to remember Threshold.

Moral of the story,  Horns can be wonderful if matched properly or nails on chalkboards if not.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s293.photobucket.com/user/hardgear/media/IMG_1822-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/hardgear/IMG_1822-1.jpg</a>

Here's a picture of the Dyns I made:

View Quote

Using the same setup of components in my car. 6" in the front in fiberglass custom  tuned port enclosures and 5" in the rear locations. Took the time to sweep them in an Anechoic chamber. The tweets are D21AF`s. It has been awhile since I looked up the model number. Could be wrong. The Morel MDT 30`s are another soft dome tweeter that I like.

Just lost one of the 6" 4 ohm midbass drivers the other day. Trying to find out where I can get it repaired or get a replacement.

Home system uses a Denon AVR-2802 Receiver, Paradigm studio monitors with matching center channel and rear surrounds, and a homebuilt 6" tuned port, dual 15" isobaric box. The neighbors don`t care for it much I think. Driving the subs with a Ramsa amp at about 700 watts. The bass wave really doesn`t develop well until about 3 houses down from me. Yep. You guessed it. They complained. Have to watch out about playing the system late at night. I like my neighbors.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Sitting in storage I got

Acoustic Research 3a's

Sansui BA-3000

Sansui CA-2000

And some other stuff I can't exactly remember.
View Quote
BAs bring pretty good money if they're in good shape.

I hate the fact that Sansui ended up being pretty much the bottom of the marketplace.

The company started out making transformers for EVERYBODY.  Very fine ones.

Then they went into the audio industry for themselves and frankly kicked ass.  Sansui was truly Japan's answer to

McIntosh and the McIntosh influence on many Sansui products is undeniable.   The BA amps look like they might have

been developed by a moonlighting McEngineer.   They are arguably the most well built, intensively engineered solid state

power amps made by any Japanese company ever until at least the late 80s.

A pristine BA5000 is worth several thousand dollars.  It's also so heavy it should have a license plate!

Sansui was also the first company to make a stereo amplifier that had such low total harmonic distortion

that it distorted LESS than the finest audio test gear available at the time,  in the early/mid 80s.  That would have been

the AU-707 or AU-717.   I forget which.  

Of course, today,  THD specs aren't believed to be the sum and total of what makes an amplifier sound good.  But

regardless,  to make an amplifier that was more perfectly linear than the best test equipment available was a noteworthy

technical achievement.

In the 90s Sansui started to go downmarket.   What a mistake that was!

Some time ago, Sansui left the audio market entirely and now only makes TVs.  I have no idea how those TVs stack up

to the competition.

An easy way to know what Sansui product might be worth looking into is to look at the logo.  If it's a green rectangle

with the Sansui script in it,  it might be good.  If it looks like a half smashed butterfly, it's crap.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
^^

This.   But amp-speaker combos is everything with Klipsch.    Before I got the McIntosh, I had a McCormack DNA-2.   I was an absolute ass-kicker of an amp.   But the highs were painfully harsh,  even at moderate levels.     The MC352 is a SS amp with Autoformers on the outputs.   It really calmed it down allot.      

Basically high gain amps don't seem to couple well with high efficiency speakers.     Vintage amps like pioneer SX series would work great,  Dennon would be decent,  Yamaha would make your ears bleed same with older Carver or if you happen to remember Threshold.

Moral of the story,  Horns can be wonderful if matched properly or nails on chalkboards if not.
View Quote

You get it.  

'Synergy' is the 'audiophool' word that describes component matching.  Kind of like the 'right tool, for the right job.'

This is why the 'HiFi' hobby is so hard to pigeon hole, there are too many electrical and enviromental (room interactions) to deal with.

I had a buddy who had a nice pair of Alon (now NOLA) speakers, a nice Accoustic Research amp, nice preamp, Avid TT and Dan Wright (ModWright) Sony 777ES modified tube SACD/CD player, but his room was completely tiled and he had glass windows, floor to ceiling and the thing sounded like ass.  One had to bring some Kleenex tissues just to stem the ear bleeding during a listening system.

Once he started 'treating' the room and the floors, the high energy clusterfuck kind of got tamed and his rig sounded better.

People tend to overlook the room interaction and their systems suffer a bit, because of that fact.

Chris

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top