Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

look up neato robotics.  they actually work

View Quote

+1

I have had a Neato for over a year, and it has never failed me. The entire downstairs is done daily while I'm at work.

The difference is Neato uses a laser and maps out the rooms before it starts. It moves straight back and fourth, and actually "sees" things. From what I understand, the roomba just bounces off of shit.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
srsly if anyone in this thread is ready to throw one away id be more than happy to give you money for it

my new house has nothing but hardwood floors and tile... ive got 3 cats... i want one just for chasing kitty tumbleweeds... my wife thinks im an idiot and while im more than happy to prove here right i dont really want to spend $300 to do it
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
i have 1.. i liked it.. wife didnt... so now its banished to my basement to clean my reloading crap off the floor
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought one from costco. Couple things.

- house has to be clean to use it which begs question why get it
- carpet tassles will break it
- does not clean house only main areas no corners or edges which begs question why get it.

Now mine sits under dinning room table on charger hasnt seen action in 6 months.  That reminds me - for violating my 6 month rule I think I toss it in the dumpster.
View Quote

Send it to me, I'll pay shipping.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
With my Aussie, Catahoula, and 2 cats that thing wouldn't run more than a minute before it was full.  I vacuum my house 2-3 times a day and my Dyson is full every time
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
We have had a couple.
As mentioned, tassels on the carpet are a no-no.

Works best on bare floor or low-pile carpet. Deep-pile is a problem.

The last one has a problem - it detects when approaching an obstacle and slows down. This one pretty much runs slow all the time.
I think its because it uses optical sensors, and they are covered in dust -- and I just can't get in there to clean them.

The MOST horrible thing is that they use nylon gears which wear out.
They don't sell individual gears, you have to buy a whole brush unit, and its expensive.

This is how that ALL wear out. If just a couple of the gears were brass, they would last pretty much forever.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Will either the Neato OR Roomba find their way into other rooms? In our new house, the only rooms that are carpet are the bedrooms. Kitchen, den, living room, laundry room, hallway... all tile. We have a chocolate lab and a cat. The lab sheds like crazy, would be nice to keep it mostly under control.

ETA: Getting the hair away from the baseboards is sort of important. The Roomba has a little sweeper that it can use to get into corners and against walls. The Neato does not. Experiences?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why not sell it to some other poor schmuck?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- does not clean house only main areas no corners or edges which begs question why get it.

Now mine sits under dinning room table on charger hasnt seen action in 6 months.  That reminds me - for violating my 6 month rule I think I toss it in the dumpster.

Because it's not worth posting, dealing with people, and driving to PO for $100-$150.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because it's not worth posting, dealing with people, and driving to PO for $100-$150.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've had at least one person offer to buy it from you/take it off your hands in this thread alone. Sight unseen. If you aren't willing to be reimbursed shipping cost and spend a couple of your own dollars in gas to help out another member, then by all means, throw it away.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i have 1.. i liked it.. wife didnt... so now its banished to my basement to clean my reloading crap off the floor
View Quote
That'll be fun when it finds a live primer

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an Electrolux Trilobite when I lived in a smaller place. Loved it. Much better than a Roomba. Didn't get stuck or bump into things. Bigger container for dirt. I don't think they make anymore.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
bumpin
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Honestly I'd get one, (I have all wood floors,) when my Dyson craps out. Having a toddler and dog pretty much has me or my wife vacuuming the kitchen/living room daily. That said, I'd get a refurb off  Woot, no way in hell would I pay $300 for one of those plus I hear the replacement batteries aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Will either the Neato OR Roomba find their way into other rooms? In our new house, the only rooms that are carpet are the bedrooms. Kitchen, den, living room, laundry room, hallway... all tile. We have a chocolate lab and a cat. The lab sheds like crazy, would be nice to keep it mostly under control.

ETA: Getting the hair away from the baseboards is sort of important. The Roomba has a little sweeper that it can use to get into corners and against walls. The Neato does not. Experiences?
View Quote
As long as all the doors are open, it will do an entire floor. (My experience is with the Neato but I'm guessing the roomba would too). And the Neato excels on carpet.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
thread on these a few months ago, guys souping them up...changing gears, bearings...
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife just won't shut up.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#19]

I can't tell what is more funny, the cat wearing a shark sweater or the cat chilling out riding the roomba!

So AWSOME
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As long as all the doors are open, it will do an entire floor. (My experience is with the Neato but I'm guessing the roomba would too). And the Neato excels on carpet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]
The smart one with GPS or wtvr would be the way to go. My boss bought one for the office it works well enough but runs over the same spots over and over.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
seriously guys? two fucking pages and it isn't here yet?

fuck...

Presenting the:

Woomba
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]
It's really not cut out for serious work...
...like after a party.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I bet I could send you the one in my living room, and my wife wouldn't notice it's gone.

Thing is retarded.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I would buy a roomba today if it came with a cat in a shark costume.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sell it to the OP for a discount and for his wife to try one out. Win/win for both.

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#27]
We ditched ours.  My lab would attack it pick it up and bring it to my wife.  The wife complained that the dog wouldn't leave it alone. I told her "What the hell, he's a damn Labrador Retriever that's what they do."  She gave it to the Goodwill, and I took as a donation on my income tax
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
look up neato robotics.  they actually work
View Quote

Came to post this. We have a Neato and it's a kickass little machine. Way better than the Roomba IMO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
so whats easier:

to argue with her over and over and get hurt feelings

or

just buy her one

--
if the shoe was on the other foot about a new glock or kimber what would you want
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Wow...you don't see that every day.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#31]
If you have hardwood floors it wouldn't be a worthless purchase but no suction for carpets.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Give in on that - and you'll reinforce her perception that bugging you endlessly will yield results.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#33]
It's made by Irobot which is the same company that makes our EOD robots. When skynet becomes self aware your pretty much fucked because it's gonna try to kill your whole family.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's made by Irobot which is the same company that makes our EOD robots. When skynet becomes self aware your pretty much fucked because it's gonna try to kill your whole family.
View Quote

Did you watch the video sir?

I do believe the cat (in a shark costume) has it covered.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a refurb one on woot.

They might be useful if you lived in a model home with zero odd furniture or obstacles.

I tried using it in a closed bedroom just to try it out.

It kept getting stuck on a rocking chair and under the bed.

Piece o' crap IMO.

MIGHT be useful if you had a large, mostly empty room you're too lazy to dust or vacuum, like a kitchen or dining room.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I bought a refurb one on woot.

They might be useful if you lived in a model home with zero odd furniture or obstacles.

I tried using it in a closed bedroom just to try it out.

It kept getting stuck on a rocking chair and under the bed.

Piece o' crap IMO.

MIGHT be useful if you had a large, mostly empty room you're too lazy to dust or vacuum, like a kitchen or dining room.
View Quote

id be more than happy to pay you with american dollars for your trash
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#37]
For $40 I'll go out to the crap heap in the shed where the one my wife bought resides, and send it to you so you can add it to your own crap heap in a week or two.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
For $40 I'll go out to the crap heap in the shed where the one my wife bought resides, and send it to you so you can add it to your own crap heap in a week or two.
View Quote

Which model?
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Had the best model they make.

It worked pretty decent but...... we have four dogs, two of which shedd like made in the summer. We had stain concrete floors so it was easy for it to run and pick up the hair but you really do have to clean the damn thing every day.

That wasn't even the worst part. Over time, it seems like everything wears or goes bad on them and the parts are expensive. The batteries suck ass and the charger tabs that hit the vacuum tabs get weak and dirty over time so it stops charging.

It just seemed like I did nothing but work on the damn thing every day vs running the swiffer over the floor in 5 minutes I was done done.

Would not buy again, even if I had no dogs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#40]
ok its been a few weeks with nothing but hardwood floors and tile... i gave up on the good ol broom and got one of them swiffer pad things... works a bit better... still end up on my hands and knees with the vacuum chasing kitty tumbleweeds under the couch... if anyone is willing to dig their working pos out of the garage and send it my way id be more than happy to see about working something out..
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#41]

This is possibly the greatest thing I've seen all month!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#42]
the older ones had serious path issues with chairs and shit.  ours has never failed to go to its home unless we did something to prevent it being able to get home (e.g. carry it to a different place and launch it such that there is no open path home).  it picks up a lot of stuff and we find it great for the expanse of hardwood which seems to constantly attract cat and dog hair and other simple debris.  the vacuum is weak but the sweeper function seems to do really well.  The output area is fairly small, so you do need to dump it after each run.  also you have to pick up your stuff - this is a bonus since the sammich maker will now clean up the stuff to run the roomba.  remember its a roomba not a housba...

ETA we have the 595 from costco...  the newer ones are better and quieter, but also not as cheap by 2x
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#43]

The dog says... fuck my life
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Get her one of those rolling plant stands and put a frisbee over it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
srsly if anyone in this thread is ready to throw one away id be more than happy to give you money for it

my new house has nothing but hardwood floors and tile... ive got 3 cats... i want one just for chasing kitty tumbleweeds... my wife thinks im an idiot and while im more than happy to prove here right i dont really want to spend $300 to do it
View Quote

If you've got 3 cats, what you need is a FURminator, used twice weekly.  The first few times, you'll get ungodly amounts of fur off the kitties.  After that, not so much.  Your floors and furniture will have much less cat hair on them.   Not my cat but this is an accurate representation of how well it works.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#47]
It's crap. It'll fail to vacuum up much, and then it will stop with an error code that means service that costs more than a new one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you've got 3 cats, what you need is a FURminator, used twice weekly.  The first few times, you'll get ungodly amounts of fur off the kitties.  After that, not so much.  Your floors and furniture will have much less cat hair on them.   Not my cat but this is an accurate representation of how well it works.

http://www.quiltpuppy.com/dogblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/furminator-1024x768.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.quiltpuppy.com/dogblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/furminator-1024x768.jpg

That. Most cats love it, too. I would think getting all that dry fur out would feel good, it has to itch. They eventually flop over to be brushed as soon as they see you have it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good to know.  My house is all hardwood floors but I have nice area rugs all over the house too. I told my wife the tassels would fuck it up but she didn't quite believe me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good to know.  My house is all hardwood floors but I have nice area rugs all over the house too. I told my wife the tassels would fuck it up but she didn't quite believe me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want the Mint, which uses plain old swiffer refills.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top